PDA

View Full Version : Service outage in Farnborough GU14? Packet loss

te0
27-10-2006, 23:35
Service in Farnborough (GU14 7xx) for me has been pretty awful since late Wednesday night.

70% packet loss - takes 5-10min to load one page. Ping times are normal though.

I'm on a Terayon TJ210 that's always been reliable up till now.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it a known issue?

homealone
28-10-2006, 00:33
If you have been upgraded to qam256 from qam64, then allegedly the terayon modem has problems, you may need to contact NTL for a replacement :)

:welcome: to the forum :)

ask for an Ambit/NTL 250 modem :)

Botchan
28-10-2006, 09:10
Exactly the same problem with the 4mb service in GU12 also on a TJ210 modem. Slow browsing speeds, high latency in games and slow download speeds. Speed tests show a lot of dropped packets and download speed tests generally fail although pings seem ok. It's been going on for over a week and taken 5 calls to support before they would agree to send an engineer (booked for next wednesday).

Each support person I spoke to blamed something different for my issues... my router, netguard, my laptop etc. everything but the ntl network or hardware. I was even told to reinstall XP on my laptop as it was the only 'guaranteed' fix to these issues. Something I did reluctantly but which rather suprisingly did nothing to improve matters. I had to laugh when I was told to 'borrow an XP CD from a friend or colleauge' if I didn't have one myself.

Hopefully things will get sorted out next week. *fingers crossed*

dpayea
28-10-2006, 11:08
Just been visited by an NTL engineer who confirmed that the area (GU12 and surrouning) has been upgraded to 256QAM and the the older modems are sometimes struggling. When they visit they are replacing TJ210's with the new blue NTL250's (Ambit).

They replaced my Motorola Surfboard 4100 with the NTL250 also.

In addition I'm getting around 1MBit/s on my 10MBit/s connection and this has been referred to the networks team as a network fault (something to do with the equalisation of the various signals coming down the cable - e.g. Analogue TV, Digital TV & Broadband). Networks should start work on it on Monday.

f3nd3r
29-10-2006, 00:49
I have been experiencing this too. I live in the Farnborough area, GU46. My connection is next to useless at the moment. Tech support kept blaming it on my router and PC but after about an hour on the phone to them, they said it was my cable modem afterall and that i was right (I wish they'd take note that not all their customers are noobs when it comes to technology)

I have a Terayon. After reading the posts on here it sounds like it is to do with the upgrades affecting these modems.

An engineer is due to come out Wednesday. Hopefully everything will be sorted with a new CM

sinagua
29-10-2006, 12:38
I had similar issues in GU22. Engineer came and swapped the old Terayon modem for a new one. No more problems and in fact I now get about 9.4 mbs in comparison to 8.2 previously.

highroyds
29-10-2006, 14:15
Your not the only ones who are having problems, Leeds area is having problems today.

NTL Status line says theres no problems after the work they've been doing since over a week ago.

I cant even use ntlhell web site properly as that just keeps coming up with page cannot be displayed and server reset.

sebs
29-10-2006, 15:10
the leeds problem is to do with there being too many people in the area using ntl are you in LS6? Took me a lot of phone calls and arguing to get them to admit it was their problem. I was then told that they are working on increasing the bandwidth but there is no estimated fix time so could be like this for another year.

highroyds
29-10-2006, 15:34
the leeds problem is to do with there being too many people in the area using ntl are you in LS6? Took me a lot of phone calls and arguing to get them to admit it was their problem. I was then told that they are working on increasing the bandwidth but there is no estimated fix time so could be like this for another year.

Well I've never heard of that excuse, I live in the LS12 area, its been a long time since we've had problems with the internet. But I have been on the phone with ntl before telling me that its been my equipment thats at fault, then after a arguement with the person on the phone its turned out to be the area or the whole network.

f3nd3r
30-10-2006, 13:20
Well I've never heard of that excuse, I live in the LS12 area, its been a long time since we've had problems with the internet. But I have been on the phone with ntl before telling me that its been my equipment thats at fault, then after a arguement with the person on the phone its turned out to be the area or the whole network.
It really bugs me that they don't have a clue what is going on with their network and are so quick to blame their customers equipment.

Welshie
30-10-2006, 16:09
I am in the GU14 area with a ntl:250 modem and can confirm that browsing is and has been fine :)

Roll on the 20Mbit "testing" in this area!

Botchan
01-11-2006, 13:55
Terayon modem has just been replaced with an NTL 250 and my connection is now back to normal :D