PDA

View Full Version : Installation CD, do i 'have' to use it?

pooper
27-10-2006, 10:42
Can someone explain to me what the CD does exactly, and can i just bypass it, and register my info by any other means?

I got my installation letter this morning, with my PIN and serial number (what's that used for!?). I'm assuming i have to register that info somewhere... i just have a horrible feeling that this installation CD will install all sorts of crappy custom ntl software... or have i got the wrong end of the stick? :D

Chris
27-10-2006, 10:43
No, you don't. For instructions on how to proceed without it, please refer to our knowledgebase article:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33602415

Osem
27-10-2006, 11:01
Can someone explain to me what the CD does exactly, and can i just bypass it, and register my info by any other means?

I got my installation letter this morning, with my PIN and serial number (what's that used for!?). I'm assuming i have to register that info somewhere... i just have a horrible feeling that this installation CD will install all sorts of crappy custom ntl software... or have i got the wrong end of the stick? :D

Had same query a week or two ago but went ahead and connected a new PC to NTL Broadband via ethernet with no CD or indeed any form of input from me. It just worked!!! :)

I like PCs when they work :D

pooper
27-10-2006, 11:02
Excellent, thanks :)

(I'm assuming the CD does exactly the same thing, but via a 'pretty wizard', and there's nothing else of interest on the CD?)

Ohh and one quick question, if im using wireless kit, whats the best sequence to connect them all?

PCs to Wireless router, then plug the router into the Cable modem? Or doesn't it really matter what order i connect them all up?

Thanks! :D

Chris
27-10-2006, 11:09
Switch on the modem, let it boot. Connect the PC to the modem by ethernet and ensure your internet service is working. Then disconnect the PC from the modem, re-boot the modem and then connect the router to the modem (the modem may not supply service to the router without re-booting first so don't forget that step). Once the modem is powered up, switch on the router and once that is booted connect the PC to it by ethernet to ensure it's working and to configure your wireless settings. Once you're happy with your wireless settings you can unplug the ethernet from PC to router, and activate your PC's wireless card.

If you only have one ethernet cable, you can configure the router from the PC using the wire, without the router being connected to the modem at the same time!

swapshop1
27-10-2006, 11:17
Can I use the auto reg link to register a new cable modem?

My girlfriend has moved in and the engineer told us to throw away the old ntl250 modem. I kept this as mine is a ntl100. He said to just phone up to register the new modem. but I don't like being on hold so wondered if i could do this myself using the auto reg system???

If not, could i give an ntl rep my new mac address and have you guys fix it?

pooper
27-10-2006, 11:33
Cool, thanks.

Can the default private IP of the modem be changed at all? Would be easy if i could just change it to a 192.168.0.* address, saving me having to change all my other PCs address.

(what device/interface is actually assigned the WAN IP when you're connected via a cable modem + router?

Chris W
27-10-2006, 11:35
Can I use the auto reg link to register a new cable modem?

My girlfriend has moved in and the engineer told us to throw away the old ntl250 modem. I kept this as mine is a ntl100. He said to just phone up to register the new modem. but I don't like being on hold so wondered if i could do this myself using the auto reg system???

If not, could i give an ntl rep my new mac address and have you guys fix it?

try https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/housemove

Chris
27-10-2006, 11:38
Cool, thanks.

Can the default private IP of the modem be changed at all? Would be easy if i could just change it to a 192.168.0.* address, saving me having to change all my other PCs address.

(what device/interface is actually assigned the WAN IP when you're connected via a cable modem + router?

I think the Router should acquire the WAN IP. I'm not sure you will be able to change the LAN address of the modem, but as I've never tried I'll leave it to someone else to advise you. :)

Chris W
27-10-2006, 11:45
you can't change it. It will be 192.168.100.1

swapshop1
27-10-2006, 17:39
try https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/housemove

Ok this doesn't work, My account isnt in correct state for a house move...

To clarify. My girlfriend has ntl.... I have ntl...
She has canceled her contract. I am keeping my contract
I want to use her box on my connection in my house.

I'm thinking that you believe that she has moved her contract to my house, this is not so. But thanks all the same. I think that i might try the normal auto reg.

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

OK - Ive broken it!!!!!

The auto reg did nothing

The new modem works. but on my girlfriends account - My old modem now doenst work anymore......

my account is 4mb, the modem is now on 2mb..... Think that was what my girlfriends account was..... The even worse news is. I probably should have waited cos her account hasnt closed yet. end of month i think.

Anyway can this mess be sorted online or shall i phone up?

I'm guessing that my new slower connection will be cut off at the end of the month as its likely my gf's account.

moral of the story - if it aint broke... dont fix it ---- balls

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Additionally maybe if someone new the code for cable modem re-install

ntl-ct8 etc. cos cj486 doesnt work

Chris
27-10-2006, 17:42
It's time to phone them before you **** it up any further, I'm afraid! :p:

swapshop1
27-10-2006, 17:54
shall i wait until the ntl250 turns off - my girlf account switches off? Or can i just go ahead

Chris
27-10-2006, 23:05
Sooner you sort it, the better I reckon.