PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroup\Usenet slow downloads

Banjobill
25-10-2006, 22:28
This is my first post on this site as I've just been pointed in the direction of this place by a friend.

Sorry this could be a longish one though...

I subscribe to Newshosting for Usenet access, use Grab-It as my client and I have 10MB NTL connection.

I have been using this for around 7 or 8 months now with little or no problems at all.

In the last 2 weeks my download speed when using Newshosting has halved from around 1000k/sec to a maximum of 500k/sec (depending on which port I use). The port I have been using all this time is 119 (which I believe is the standard port for usenet). During these last 2 weeks when I have been using this port my download speeds have reduced to around 7k/sec.

Newshosting, when I have mentioned this to them have asked if I can use port 7000, 8000 or 9000 and this should correct the problem. But it is hit and miss with these ports as well but I can get around 500k/sec using these.

They have also said that it isn't anything at their end and have suggested that I speak with my ISP. When I've done this, they have asked me to check my speeds using NTL's own newsgroup access using port 119. As expected this runs at around 1000k/sec. At this point NTL say "speak to your newshoster". As you can guess it turns into a game of tennis.

I've carried out reverse traceroutes (that I can post here if needed) and Newshosting have said that it's clear that the problem is at NTL's side. When I came back to NTL with this they informed me "Yes, we are having some problems with newsgroups but we don't know when it'll be fixed"!!!!

Has anyone else had any similar problems with this or have any idea about what I can do to try and get this all sorted??

Rik
25-10-2006, 22:59
Before I even opened this thread I just knew you were going to be mentioning "Newshosting", speeds are very erratic, so erratic infact i cancelled and joined "Giganews" and havent looked back since, I ALWAYS get 1207kB/s 24/7 with just 4 connections :D

My advice change News Provider.

Banjobill
25-10-2006, 23:48
Well I've read a few bits and pieces regarding this.

And I've been curious to know if anyone else had the same problem as me and did "jump ship".

With that in mind I may very well do that too.

I think Giganews is a little more if memory server me correctly for the unlimited service.

I'll give it a go.

zing_deleted
25-10-2006, 23:51
Ive used Giganews for ages full whack
Newsdemon is cheaper than giganews but Ive not used it

:welcome: to the forum :)

Colli
25-10-2006, 23:53
Before I even opened this thread I just knew you were going to be mentioning "Newshosting", speeds are very erratic, so erratic infact i cancelled and joined "Giganews" and havent looked back since, I ALWAYS get 1207kB/s 24/7 with just 4 connections :D

I agree. I was previously with Newshosting and found that their speeds fluctuated outrageously. I also had to endure the situation where Newshosting blamed NTL and NTL blamed Newshosting for this problem.

I haven't signed up with Giganews yet - my current personal circumstances mean that my limited finances are required for more crucial expenses - but I intend to join them as soon as I get back on my feet.

Banjobill
26-10-2006, 00:52
Well I just have as it's a free 3 day trial.

And it's flying along with more connections.

I'm now a happy man again :D

zing_deleted
26-10-2006, 00:58
Just have what?

Richy99
27-10-2006, 10:56
signed up to giganews by the sounds

Sherlock614
27-10-2006, 13:36

Ditto :tu:

I know a few peeps who are getting naff speeds from NH lately. When i contacted them about poor speeds it ended up where they said they couldn't do anything, which made the decision to go to Giga simple.

I dunno if NH's "new software" (checking for 8 connections) is to blame. All i know is, since i got my email from NH telling me to limit my connections, the speeds went down the toilet regardless of how many connections i used. :erm:

This reminds me of another bit of "new software" employed by NTL a few weeks back - Traffic shaping. That messed everything up in a similar vain....