PDA

View Full Version : Terrible performance in Oxford (OX3)

Dawn Falcon
22-10-2006, 21:10
Anyone else having this? I'm getting terrible performance on a 4Mb BB service in Oxford.

As in, several games I play I'm getting 1500 or more ping, consistantly. Web browsing is slow, and downloads are managing about 10Kb/s. I've also run several checkers and they're showing a consistant 10-25% packet loss (!) (when they work at all). Time of day seems quite irrelevant. No p2p services are being run. (only things in the background for the games are IRC and IM..)

If I reset the modem I get 20-30 seconds of deacent speeds, then it drops off again.
I run firewall, antivirus and antispyware software.

Checked everything my end, repeatedly...

ADSL guide speedtest results:

Downstream136.2 Kbps( = 0.1 Mbps ) Upstream45.1 Kbps( = 0.0 Mbps )

On querying the modem.. (I can direct, DocsDiag can't see it..)

Downstream Receive Power Level : -11.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.5 dB

KevAmiga
23-10-2006, 00:12
PM me the MAC address if you want it checked out.

Kev

Dawn Falcon
23-10-2006, 00:32
Done, thanks :)

KevAmiga
23-10-2006, 08:26
Dawn - check your PM but... i should have read your post again ha before i answered you... ;)

MuNkayMaN
25-10-2006, 22:52
Anyone else having this? I'm getting terrible performance on a 4Mb BB service in Oxford.

As in, several games I play I'm getting 1500 or more ping, consistantly. Web browsing is slow, and downloads are managing about 10Kb/s. I've also run several checkers and they're showing a consistant 10-25% packet loss (!) (when they work at all). Time of day seems quite irrelevant. No p2p services are being run. (only things in the background for the games are IRC and IM..)

If I reset the modem I get 20-30 seconds of deacent speeds, then it drops off again.
I run firewall, antivirus and antispyware software.

Checked everything my end, repeatedly...

ADSL guide speedtest results:

Downstream136.2 Kbps( = 0.1 Mbps ) Upstream45.1 Kbps( = 0.0 Mbps )

On querying the modem.. (I can direct, DocsDiag can't see it..)

Downstream Receive Power Level : -11.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 32.5 dB

I'm having exactly the same issue it seems only I'm in OX4. It's been happening for the last 2.5 weeks or so and it's making games VERY difficult to play to say the least. Same problems with packet loss and I have no spyware/virus problems at all either, no dodgy processes, nothing :(

I've spoken to Customer Services 4 or 5 times and been told that there is maintenance in my area, try again in a couple of days but it hasn't got any better. Is there anyone here who can help me out with some info on this? I've been with NTL for about 5 years and never had any problems at all but if it continues like this for much longer I'm going to have to switch, my wow addiction is just too much!

Nitrox
26-10-2006, 08:43
What modem are you using ?

MuNkayMaN
26-10-2006, 14:10
I will post the exact model when I get home this evening.

But if it's of any use, from memory it's small, and semi-transparent blue plastic.

Do you think it could be an actual cable modem fault? The ustomer services guy told me my uptime was 99.4%

MuNkayMaN
26-10-2006, 19:25
Just looking at my modem now and it says on the back ntl250, and the model number is E08C007.

Does that help at all ?

Dawn Falcon
26-10-2006, 21:45
Hi, it came down to a bad wiring extension for me. So when that was replaced the rate's gome back to to the steady 3.5Mbit I've allways had...

Nitrox
27-10-2006, 10:00
Just looking at my modem now and it says on the back ntl250, and the model number is E08C007.

Does that help at all ?

Thought you might have had an old Teryaon modem which are causing a few problems at the moment; think you'll need to pursue tech support I'm afraid....

mmm
27-10-2006, 23:21
I'm having exactly the same issue it seems only I'm in OX4. It's been happening for the last 2.5 weeks or so ...

And when did the university terms start?

MuNkayMaN
30-10-2006, 19:21
At the beginning of October, must be them downloading 24/7 kicking the network I guess. But still, it's never been like this before so I think I'm going to get ADSL in now.