PDA

View Full Version : Hackers Hijacking NTL Phone Lines

UncleBooBoo
18-10-2006, 17:12
Glad i'm with BT! :D

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=161389&command=displayContent&sourceNode=161372&contentPK=15712119&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

Graham M
18-10-2006, 17:18
Doable with BT lines too I'd imagine

Derek
18-10-2006, 18:00
Doable with BT lines too I'd imagine

Yep and has been done in the past.

Russ
18-10-2006, 18:05
Pah! Most of the hooray-henrys on Llangyfelach (Lan-gee-vel-ack) Road can afford bills of that amount :D

Toto
18-10-2006, 19:13
Pah! Most of the hooray-henrys on Llangyfelach (Lan-gee-vel-ack) Road can afford bills of that amount :D

Doesn't make it right though, like your your attempt to give us an education in how to pronounce Llangyfelach. :rolleyes:

Russ
18-10-2006, 19:31
Doesn't make it right though, like your your attempt to give us an education in how to pronounce Llangyfelach. :rolleyes:

Uh oh, humour bypass alert :D

Most people on here won't get even close to being able to pronnounce it :p:

Toto
18-10-2006, 19:43
Uh oh, humour bypass alert :D

Most people on here won't get even close to being able to pronnounce it :p:

Hahaha, your right there :)

Gareth
25-10-2006, 12:53
If they've just been using "beige boxes", i.e. a homemade linesman's handset, to do this, then it's been used for decades on BT's lines way before it happened cable. I remember there used to be a guy frequently boxing the street I lived in when I was at university donkey's years ago... most of the buildings were hotels which probably helped him get away with it for so long.

JediMaster
25-10-2006, 14:20

Only live round the corner from them :p:

Jules
25-10-2006, 15:25
Doesn't one of the members here have a problem with a phone bill for calls he never made? He might be interested to read this

Maggy
25-10-2006, 16:14
Doesn't one of the members here have a problem with a phone bill for calls he never made? He might be interested to read this

A link has already been posted in that thread..

SMHarman
25-10-2006, 16:26
Interesting - I had this problem on my bill way back. I never used the NTL phone line as I had a BT ISDN line that was used. Then suddenly I got call charges on the NTL line. Called NTL and they are accusing me, my wife, my 2 year old of plugging a phone into a phone socket that would require emptying a large wood display cabinet, moving it to get to the socket, making the calls then putting it all back together again...

I know which I think was the more likely scenareo.

arcamalpha2004
25-10-2006, 20:03

NTL would have you believe that you have made the phone calls :erm:
You really do have to kick ass to get your money back, even as far as calling retentions with the threat of leaving before I got my money back!
Perhaps NTL can start leaving some 3 for £30 fliers in the boxes for when the geezer returns ! :D :D

UncleBooBoo
25-10-2006, 20:56
As people have pointed out, it can be done on a bt line too!

However it is a lot easier to do with an NTL line than a BT line in my opinion! (Well in my area.)

All the BT lines come from poles here, and although there are a few BT cabinets around they are the solid ones that Joe Bloggs would find hard to gain entry too! (I think)

The NTL cabinets are very easy to gain access too and most are open anyway. Just the other night a couple of 10 year old's had gained access to one just up the road and they were happy pulling all the cables out of it!

Shaun
25-10-2006, 21:21
The company has not at this stage involved the police, but is working round the clock to secure the network.

That just tickled me. Don't know why. :erm:

arcamalpha2004
25-10-2006, 21:26
As people have pointed out, it can be done on a bt line too!

However it is a lot easier to do with an NTL line than a BT line in my opinion! (Well in my area.)

All the BT lines come from poles here, and although there are a few BT cabinets around they are the solid ones that Joe Bloggs would find hard to gain entry too! (I think)

The NTL cabinets are very easy to gain access too and most are open anyway. Just the other night a couple of 10 year old's had gained access to one just up the road and they were happy pulling all the cables out of it!

Just shows how much NTL think of the security of their boxes and further more their customers phone bills.

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

That just tickled me. Don't know why. :erm:

Does that include weekends? :erm: ;)