PDA

View Full Version : I am with talktalk and thinking of swiching to Ntl need advice

Ntl?ORnot
18-10-2006, 05:07
I have been with talk talk for a couple of years now they used to be fairly decent b4 offering the new free offer wich im not on yet.

talk talk have FUP and since dowloading with p2p programs is almost impossible max speed at off peek times is around 20kbs btween 1 am and 9 am any other time 0kbs on a 2 meg connection :Yikes: so i havent upgraded to the free broadband as there customer serveice and broad band service are totaly useless and i dont what to be binded to them for 18 months.

since looking around for another isp i have noticed almost all have a FUP and cost more than talktalk the question id like to ask is if i get unlimeted 2 meg broadband with ntl wich has Fair use polocy will i be able to download using p2p and how much. i dont realy whant to change to a more expensive service provider and have the same bad service i get with talktalk

How much do you guys download a month and do you experiance good speeds?

bopdude
18-10-2006, 05:59
So basically your asking which ISP is less likely to hammer you for P2P traffic, short answer, not many, I use NTL, have done for about 10 years, apart from the odd hic up, can't fault it. Of couse this varies from user to user and in areas, depends on 'traffic

So it really depends on what your asking, and what your looking for.

:welcome: to the forum as well :tu:

fbridge
18-10-2006, 10:04
I have been with NTL now for about 8 years now and have been impressed with the connection. I have done alot of P2P in the past and never found it to be restricted in any way. Stigma now prevents me participating as much as I did but when I do there seem to be no restictions.

In those 8 years I have noticed about 5 major outages which lasted 2-3 days before being fixed which is not a lot in terms of connection time. The problem I have though with NTL is the fault reporting. They are just so pedantic in their methods which lead to very long fix times.

Ntl?ORnot
18-10-2006, 10:27
thx for the reply bopdude :D

ok this is what i realy whant to know is how unlimited is NTL's unlimeted broadband how mmuch can u download b4 they restrict u

with talktalk if u download 1 gig you are fully restricted from everything cant play games or connect to p2p even web brousing becomes as slow as dial-up. i am looking for a better service i have heard so many bad things about all dial up broadband companys having to restict p2p to save profits only Aol recently taken over by TalkTalk have truely unlimited broadband but (probably wont last long with talktalk owning it) i have heard NTL have verry few restrictions
im looking to find a cheep internet service that is fairly reliable and doesnt cut p2p acces looking to download at most 20-40 gig in a month would usualy be less

i live in london and im looking at

Talk Weekends & 2Mb Broadband

Only £24.99 a month

Key features

Unlimited UK landline calls, all weekend, every weekend
Highly competitive mobile call rates
Telephone line rental
Unlimited 2Mb Broadband – nearly 40 times faster than Dial-up
Enjoy the freedom of unlimited – download as much as you like, whenever you like
Download a music track in less than 20 seconds
FREE ntl Netguard Total - over £50 worth of Internet security for your PC
A great all round Broadband service perfect for most users

i have heard Ntl has terrible customer service (Wich im used to with TalkTalk) so id like to find out how good there internet service is b4 buying cutting my bt land line and having all the stuff instaled i heard canceling is a nightmare to so any imput is much apreciated

bopdude
18-10-2006, 14:21
I can't speak for phone calls etc etc but I was on the 10 mb unlimited and I hammered it, prollies the heaviest month was about 100 ( one hundred ) gig.

HTH

TheCrow
18-10-2006, 23:55
Im on 10mb and must say they do not limit me in downloads, this month i am allready on 62gb downloaded. But whenever i load an p2p the whole connection goes down to less than snails pace.

NTL are traffic shaping in some areas! Do a search on the forum for it and you shall see.

zing_deleted
19-10-2006, 00:32
I done 600 gig last month on NTL :Yikes:

Ntl?ORnot
19-10-2006, 03:47
Omg guys i cant get 5 gig out of talk talk and ntl are alowing u to dowload 60-600 gigs a month thats so much better :D

i would like to see if ntl are trafic shaping in my area i think brcuase i like in london and i suppose they have alot of ppl connected here service might be poor where can i find out if they restrict london userers badly.

your feed back is verry posotive i have low expectations from a isp now so anywhere near being able to download 60gig in a month sounds so good :D