PDA

View Full Version : install without disc

morgs18
17-10-2006, 21:07
Hi
sorry if I posted in the wrong place new to this, need help reinstalling my brothers broadband on his new laptop without disc (wont work with it) I just plugged his laptop into my modem box and the internet worked, now he has tried it in his home, no internet. I remember a few years ago i couldnt use the disc and I was told to type some numbers in the address bar and hey presto! it worked. Any advice would be appreciated for this silly woman.

Stuart
17-10-2006, 21:16
:welcome: to the forum.

How does your brother connect to the Internet? Through a Cable Modem or the TV Set Top Box?

If it's through the Cable Modem, then he may just need to unplug the modem from the mains, plug it back in, then plug the computer into the modem when the lights have settled.

If he connects through the set top box, then he'll need to do that, but also, the first time he tries to visit a site, he will get prompted to enter his PID (long customer ID number) and Pin (4 digit pin). Both of these can be obtained from Customer Services. If he doesn't get the prompt, he may need to type the address which (IIRC) is http://start.ntl

Marge
17-10-2006, 21:25
If he connects through the set top box, then he'll need to do that, but also, the first time he tries to visit a site, he will get prompted to enter his PID (long customer ID number) and Pin (4 digit pin).

Sorry to be picky Stu but the STB method needs the 10 digit PID number and Password, not a Pin number.....

Stuart
17-10-2006, 21:27
Sorry, long time since I had to register a new computer on my STB..

Either way, if he doesn't have it, he'll have to call C/S.

morgs18
17-10-2006, 22:55
Thanks stew all working now, my brothers name is stewart not as clever as you though! many thanks