PDA

View Full Version : There Is A Problem With Your Connection

Nutronic
15-10-2006, 12:51
The title is what I see alot whilst playing Battlefield 2.

At first it didn't bother me but the missus started complaining about her laptop losing the net at the same time, we have a wireless router so she can surf while I play etc. The wireless router we have is a Wireless G Plus Router (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179477) and it has been working fine, or so we think.

Anyway the problems started around 18th Spetember so I contacted Telewest and asked if they had any problems in our area, they said no. I told them what was happening so an engineer was sent out and he then said we needed a 'repull' which means they change the cable that runs from the exchange to our house as the type we had was crap and was too long apparently. So we waited until the 13th October for this to happen and it took about 2 hours in total but for 2 days it worked fine, like a dream.....I was very happy and thought finally some decent time to be had on BF2. However, today its started doing it again, Telewest support are at a loss and so am I, is this a problem with the wireless router/my modem or something else.

This is how I connect

Cable from wall into the motorola surfboard modem > a cable then goes into the Router (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=179477)> a blue cable goes into the back of the pc.

Hopefully someone can help me out as its really annoying me, and it may have been said here before but the problems started shortly after the merge with NTL was announced.:dozey:

MovedGoalPosts
15-10-2006, 12:59
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

What speed of service do you have? BF2 is quite an intensive game on teh computer's own hardware, but I'm not sure what bandwsith it needs. Presumably you are connecting to servers with fairly low pings.

If 'er indoors is also complaining, what is she doing, just browsing or something else? Presumably your wireless is secure so nobody else is leeching at the same time?

Nutronic
15-10-2006, 13:08
We have telepests 4mb service, it was a free upgrade:) the missus is usually just browsing and cant really do much more on her laptop, as for the wifi its passworded and the password is quite a secure one so no is leeching.....though I wouldnt know how to find out if they are:Yikes:

The motorola surfboard modem we have always seems to be working correctly aswell when the connection drops, meaning all its lights remain on etc.:tu:

Nutronic
16-10-2006, 12:00
So nobody knows then ?

Paul K
16-10-2006, 12:10
When the connection drops though can you ping any sites? Just cos the lights are on it doesn't mean someone is home ;)

Nutronic
16-10-2006, 12:40
Everything appears fine net wise though it doesnt work. I have contacted customer services/tech support numerous times when the connection drops and they have said that everything appears to be fine etc.

We have just being given a new motorola surfboard modem in between my last post :D as thats the last route that telewest can apparently take. What i'm starting to think is that the wireless router we have cannot handle 4mb worth of telewest because before we got the free upgrade the net was fine. Even though the router is meant to take alot more. I thought i'd post on this forum as it seems full of tech heads and people who know what they are on about, unlike some other sites out there:) Im not wanting to cancel my telewest contract after 2or3 years but it looks like its the only option as they cost me a fortune in mobile calls all the time and they say that cannot reimburse them:(