PDA

View Full Version : Considering an Upgrade, but not sure...

cmellor
14-10-2006, 00:06
Hello,

Currently I have the 2 MB broadband service, but I didn't realise until a few day's ago when I had a look, lol. One thing though, ever since I got ntl broadband via a cable modem last year, my speed clearly has never gone at [at what was then] 1 MB. Now that it is 2 MB, it's still no faster, for example, images from websites take time to download, I'm not talking super slow, just slower than expected from a 2 MB service. Also with downloading files, I never get anything near 2 MB, though I'm sure not a lot of people do, a lot of times all I seem to get is about 7 KB/S, which is pretty bad. Now odly, over at speedtest.net I had a go and I was getting download speeds of between 40 and 170 KB/S, which is good, but it's hardly that when I'm viewing websites or trying to download stuff.

For example, I am over at IGN.com and downloading a video from their site. When I click 'download' it begins, and the first speed estimate is about 70 KB/S, but that doesn't last, it slowly goes all the way down to about 9 KB/S, which sucks! This happens all the time, I never get a high download speed. I know what to expect from a 2 MB service as I've used one on a Virgin account using ADSL, but isn't cable suppose to be better?

I am considering upgrading to 10 MB, but have realised that if I did do, and the same problem occours (i.e. slow speeds) then it'd be a complete waste of money! One thing that I thought is that it may be a computer issue, but I really wouldn't know where to begin looking, it could be anything!

Now I hope I have my myself understandable, and I hope you can give me some hints and tips about if upgrading would indeed solve my slow issues (even though I'm on 2 MB) should you require any details about my specs, then I will gladly give them to you.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Chris.

Fireplace
14-10-2006, 09:22
Not that this will help you any, but I was on the original 512kb speed through my STB and I got the free upgrades over time to 1MB, 2MB and then eventually 4MB.

Each time I did notice a change in speed. I have now gone to 10MB. To accomplish this I had to have a Cable Modem installed. I have had this since 23/09 and still can't see any difference in speed. The speed test on here shows at the most I get 6MB.

Now perhaps this is a problem with my account, which I am having looked into. But if it is any indication of the 10MB service I'd stay on what you are on and save your money.

MovedGoalPosts
14-10-2006, 13:29
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

There are a number of reasons why you might be getting slow speeds.

Yes there could be a fault on your service. You don't say if you have a modem or STB, or what model. Some modems, for example the terrayons are known to have issues. Then there could be signal strength issues on your connections, or oversubscription in your area. In any case, if you are convinced your service is not running correctly, phone faults, and see what they have to say.

It's worth doing a speed test at different times of day. What do those show.

It's rare with any broadband, cable or ADSL that you get the full quoted speed, but it should be reasonably close most of the time. All broadband is contended so it depends waht your neighbours are doing. Cable isn't affected by distance from the exchange in the way that ADSL is so is usually a more reliable speed connection.

Finally the speed of any download will also be dependent on the server you are connecting to. Heavy used servers may not have the bandwidth for all the connections, thus your download slows up. There is also a possibility that you are in a traffic shaped area, and somehow your downloads are being affected by this.

DaveC
15-10-2006, 19:10
If you do have a cable modem, as opposed to getting your BB through your set-top box, it would be worthwhile finding out what its' configuration is.

Go to http://192.168.100.1/login.html and login using 'root' as both the username and password. Then select 'Operation Config' and that will show you what your modem is set to receive at.

I had an ongoing speed issue for about a month after I had NTL reinstalled in my new house, and it turned out that my modem was set to 150k, now its on 2 meg and works fine. My max download shows as 2048000 (upload is 200000).

Hope this helps.

cmellor
15-10-2006, 19:47
I went to that website and this is what is shown:

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

I think that means it's set up to run at 2 MB right?

SnoopZ
15-10-2006, 19:53
I went to that website and this is what is shown:

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

I think that means it's set up to run at 2 MB right?

Yes that's 2mbit.