PDA

View Full Version : newsgroup problem

tony
12-10-2006, 11:49
Seems that since the Planned Maintenance on monday night it is difficult to get a connection to news server, takes about 50 tries before it works.

jackswan
12-10-2006, 16:01
i am having the same problem in Swansea with the newsgroups, anyone else?

zeus9876
12-10-2006, 17:04
yup same here

jrhnewark
12-10-2006, 17:44
Yes, I have the same problem - it does seem to be country-wide. (Although my connection is routered through Swansea.. despite living in Nottinghamshire!)

monkey2468
12-10-2006, 18:11
Yes, I have the same problem - it does seem to be country-wide. (Although my connection is routered through Swansea.. despite living in Nottinghamshire!)

Why do you think you are routed through Swansea?:confused:

jrhnewark
12-10-2006, 18:22
Why do you think you are routed through Swansea?:confused:Or "routered"... d'oh! It's been a long day...

Anyway, yes.. well,the IP address I've got (and others that I've had) all point at Swansea. No idea why or whether it's just a mistake - it appears in a reverse-lookup of the IPs. :)

See here: http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=82.28.225.99 (obviously my IP isn't exactly that, just in the range shown on the page)

IanUK
12-10-2006, 19:38
I've noticed it too, it has happened before though, usually after a speed increase, and it seems that the 20mb trial has coincided with the connection problems this time, could just be coincidence or....

jrhnewark
12-10-2006, 20:29
... or someone's enjoying a thousand movies a day from the newsgroups with his 20Mbps connection!

Taf
13-10-2006, 17:31
NTL news was up and down this morning, now completely down for me in Cardiff...

jackswan
14-10-2006, 00:09
Newsgroups are still down, what is happening?

This is the error message

unable to logon
server response
unable to connect error 10060 connection timed out

I sent NTL an e-mail yesterday regarding the problem and typically have not received a reply.

Anyone know the telephone number for the tech guys might give them a ring in the morning?

cheers

zing_deleted
14-10-2006, 00:12
The news servers are not going to be seen as high priority are they lol ?

dave6x
14-10-2006, 02:06
I've not been having any problems with NTL Newsgroup servers here in Andover, was maxing out my 10Mb downloading using Shemes Grabit earlier, and just updated selected groups with no probs

John.C
14-10-2006, 07:29
62.253.170.163 seems to be working.

80.5.182.99 does not seem to be working.

tony
15-10-2006, 18:29
This connection problem seems to have migrated to internet now, all day it has been hit and miss when trying to connect, dns maybe. or is it all down to the last "planned maintenance".
I always check status pages for these "planned maintenance" events to see when they affect swansea because there usually is a problem afterwards.
Call cs and after usual wait and endless discussion with another continent reach the conclusion that NTl don't really give a xxxx.
Maybe when the Virgin name is prominent things will change, then again the virgin mobile website is like wading through treacle so maybe it will just get worse.

Taf
15-10-2006, 19:07
Dead in Cardiff again too..... :mad: :td:

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

They're half back... some threads connect, others just time out...

tony
16-10-2006, 15:02
Still the same, mostly dead when trying to connect with OE, after numerous attempts it works long enough to update groups but next time I try it is back to usual "cannot find server".

Taf
16-10-2006, 15:32
Ditto... with newsleecher and grabit....

bilal
16-10-2006, 16:31
Mine was doing that in bromley a moment ago but it just came back now :)

dave6x
16-10-2006, 18:43
Just for infomation. Newsgroups still seem to be OK in Andover, just completed 107MB download in less than 2 mins using Grabit

tony
16-10-2006, 20:56
Just for infomation. Newsgroups still seem to be OK in Andover, just completed 107MB download in less than 2 mins using Grabit

Well they are ok here when you get connected, the problem is not with download speed it is just that you cannot get a connection, with OE i can try endlessly to get connected and the only way seems to be by shutting down OE and restarting and so on ad infintum until i get a connection.
This problem only started after the recent "planned maintenance", unfortunately CS say no problem.
Perhaps this is NTL's idea of "traffic shaping".

dave6x
16-10-2006, 21:02
Well they are ok here when you get connected, the problem is not with download speed it is just that you cannot get a connection, with OE i can try endlessly to get connected and the only way seems to be by shutting down OE and restarting and so on ad infintum until i get a connection.
This problem only started after the recent "planned maintenance", unfortunately CS say no problem.
Perhaps this is NTL's idea of "traffic shaping".I'm only accessing Newsgroups using Grabit, I never access through OE. But not having any issues connecting either, sorry for all those that are!

wyngriff
16-10-2006, 21:06
Perhaps this is NTL's idea of "traffic shaping".

Same here for me and im using a payed for service, news demon they say there is nothing wrong with there servers so it must be all down to ntl

tony
17-10-2006, 18:11
Same here for me and im using a payed for service, news demon they say there is nothing wrong with there servers so it must be all down to ntl

Don't expect a quick resolution because CS say there is nothing wrong.
I know there is a problem and from other posts recently many more know there is a problem, NTL on the other hand say "problem, what problem".
Maybe in a month or two when the next "planned maintenance" for this area takes place things will improve.
It reminds me of the dial up days when you had to keep redialling in order to get a connection.