PDA

View Full Version : what happens if i move into non cabled area???

nho1993
11-10-2006, 23:02
Hi

We mostl likely going to move house, what if my new house is not on a cabled street, what will happen?

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
11-10-2006, 23:18
It depends on how much time you have left on your contract. If you have been with ntl over 12 months, then it shoudl just be a case of giving 30sdays notice, theoretically by phone, but back that up with a recorded delivery letter so you can prove it.

If you have less than 12 months time served, you still need to give notice, but ntl will now seek the costs for the unexpired contract period.

If you are still in a similar geographic area you may be able to get BT to port your ntl phone number to your new telephone line.

opelfruitcase
11-10-2006, 23:21
Hi

We mostl likely going to move house, what if my new house is not on a cabled street, what will happen?

Thanks

You phone the customer services number between 9 and 5 during weekdays, press the 'moving house' option or request to speak to moves and transfers. They will check to see if your new property is/isn't servicable, and if not they will take 30 days notice from you and a forwarding address if necessary to cancel the account providing your the account holder thats on the phone.

If you are cancelling during your initial 12 month contract period, then you will be subject to a contract cessastion charge, which is equivilent to the number of whole months of your initial contract period remaining. This may take up to two months to appear on the account after its closure.

EDIT: Rob you beat me to it :cool:

andygrif
11-10-2006, 23:22
Hi

Thanks

Then you won't be able to get cable TV anymore. Sorry couldn't resist!

Rob, however is the one with correct answer. Although I would add that ntl's moves and transfers department are worse than all the others combined and will most likely screw everything up for you - making what is a stressful enough period of your life even more so.

Therefore I recommend doing everything in writing, sent giving more than 30 days notice in a letter sent by Recorded Delivery.

opelfruitcase
11-10-2006, 23:26
Rob, however is the one with correct answer. Although I would add that ntl's moves and transfers department are worse than all the others combined and will most likely screw everything up for you - making what is a stressful enough period of your life even more so.

And my answer is correct as well, lol ;). Yes I'm aware there are certainly some issues with M+T at present. However, most of the M+T calls are now being handled by the new 'home movers centre' which is in fact ex-Telewest staff so you should see some things improve (ex-ntl M+T staff in Coventry are being made redundant in December).

nho1993
11-10-2006, 23:27
by the way, i only have BB, my 12month contract only ends in february, so i will have to pay everything until february?? what i also dont understand is, i might only move onto a street next to my current street and its not a cabled street, weird, but hpefully i find another property on a cabled area, i really dont wnt ADSL as im 2 miles away from exchange so i can only geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet 3mb, im used to 20mb now and going to 3mb wil be liek going back to dial up, lol

andygrif
11-10-2006, 23:32
And my answer is correct as well, lol ;).

Sorry, your message hadn't appear when I started typing my reply. yes you're correct too.:)

Yes I'm aware there are certainly some issues with M+T at present. However, most of the M+T calls are now being handled by the new 'home movers centre' which is in fact ex-Telewest staff so you should see some things improve

That's good news. We moved almost a year ago now and it was like sticking needles in your eyes dealing with those herberts. Finally they're starting to do something about, good news at last.

(ex-ntl M+T staff in Coventry are being made redundant in December).

I don't wish that on anyone, let alone at that time of year - but if there was one department that had to go, they'd be top of my list too. Incompetence is built-in to that lot from the heads of department, all the way down.

opelfruitcase
11-10-2006, 23:42
by the way, i only have BB, my 12month contract only ends in february, so i will have to pay everything until february?? what i also dont understand is, i might only move onto a street next to my current street and its not a cabled street, weird, but hpefully i find another property on a cabled area, i really dont wnt ADSL as im 2 miles away from exchange so i can only geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet 3mb, im used to 20mb now and going to 3mb wil be liek going back to dial up, lol

So if for example you were to have requested disconnection today, you will pay up to 10/11/06 and then two months (full months only don't forget; Dec and Jan) to the end of your contract. However, if your on the 10Mb tier (officially) at present, then I would suggest downgrading to the 512K/bit service just before you move out of the property, as the CCC mentioned previously will be calculated as two months of £14.99 rather than two months of £34.99 if you don't bother changing from the 10Mb service.

Regarding your second point, your probably not getting the full 20Mb all the time anyway - only if your rodgering your connection with p2p at off-peak times, doing serious gaming or downloading a lot of large files through http/ftp will you really notice a difference.

Sorry, your message hadn't appear when I started typing my reply. yes you're correct too.:)

That's good news. We moved almost a year ago now and it was like sticking needles in your eyes dealing with those herberts. Finally they're starting to do something about, good news at last.

I don't wish that on anyone, let alone at that time of year - but if there was one department that had to go, they'd be top of my list too. Incompetence is built-in to that lot from the heads of department, all the way down.

Yes I'd guessed that, don't worry, lol! I've had issues with M+T in the past as well - it took them two weeks (yes, two weeks!) just to call me just to inform me that they couldn't process my house move request as it had to go through staff accounts (even though they had done it for me previously). The other issue is that yes, they've had a hard time, especially with the very harsh redundancy at Xmas time (retentions are suffering the same fate as well as they are also based in Coventry). But, the number two complaint (number one is incorrect billing) that Customer Services deal with (and normally the biggest headaches to sort out) is a botched house move.

nho1993
11-10-2006, 23:58
sorry i mean 10mb hehe :P

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 23:45 ----------

i do notice a big difference in 10mb and slower speeds as you sayd i download larg files gaming etc, well thanks for your help and i hope i move into a cabled area :)

LixeL
12-10-2006, 16:09
Standard procedure when moving to an uncabled area appears to be:-

1. Phone NTL who will listen to your request to cancel ALL services.
2. NTL will then only disconnect the phone (on a temporary disconnection)
3. NTL will not call you back or send a letter of confirmation that disconnection has occurred.
4. NTL will continue to bill you (because they didnt disconnect you.
5. You then write a letter to customer concern and send it recorded delivery
6. NTL will then ignore the letter.
7. You then contact Customer Concern by email explaining the situation
8. NTL reply saying they cannot discuss even the weather by email as it contradicts the data protection act (despite the T&C stating disconnection request can be by electronic mail)
9. You try NTL customer service repeatedly for months getting a completely different story each time.
10. NTL continue to bill you because they still haven't disconnected you.
11. NTL start sending threatening letters.
12. You seek help on the net and find Cable Forums.
12a. Someone on cableforums offers to help.
13. NTL send more bills.
14. NTL send a letter thanking you for your letter of about two months earlier saying someone will be in touch as soon as possible.
15. NTLs method of someone getting in touch is to send another bill with late payment fees added.
16. Unknown. Perhaps adverse credit rating, baliff, debt collector.

(are you sure its an uncabled area, my postcode shows up on one part of the website as cabled and on another as not cabled.)

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 16:53
Standard procedure when moving to an uncabled area appears to be:-
<snip>

LixeL, rants like that don't really help anyone. Of course there are sometimes disconnection issues, but what your suggesting in that post, specifically:

12. You seek help on the net and find Cable Forums.
12a. Someone on cableforums offers to help.
13. NTL send more bills.
14. NTL send a letter thanking you for your letter of about two months earlier saying someone will be in touch as soon as possible.

...is suggesting that even the ntl staff that lurk around on CF (who of course are *offering* to help, usually in their spare time) aren't doing anything about these issues either. That's just kicking those people who try to help you in the teeth.

LixeL
13-10-2006, 19:45
Hiya Opelfruitcase,

No offence meant, sorry if any was taken.

The rant was actually mostly tongue in cheek, its all true though and is a fairly short summary of my experience. From reading these forums and other websites on the net it would also appear to be more common than sometimes.

As regards 12, 12a, I really do appreciate your offer of help a couple of weeks ago and also between you and lostandconfused Withenshaw appear to have now got a copy of my original letter explaining the problems with disconnection (see 14), however, ironically the letter they sent said they would be in contact and the next contact was (see 15) another bill.

Once again, I publically apologise if I have given the impression that ntl staff that are one these forums aren't doing anything, you wouldn't probably be here otherwise and its a positive sign of human nature that you do spend time on here sorting out others issues with ntl. Between yourself and lostandconfused you have spoken 100% more sense than any other contact I have had with ntl. Thankyou.

lostandconfused
13-10-2006, 19:49
just as a follow up of this lixel did you receive the letter from customer concern should have been sent out last sunday?
if not ill have one done tommorow

opelfruitcase
13-10-2006, 19:54
Hiya Opelfruitcase,

No offence meant, sorry if any was taken.

The rant was actually mostly tongue in cheek, its all true though and is a fairly short summary of my experience. From reading these forums and other websites on the net it would also appear to be more common than sometimes.

As regards 12, 12a, I really do appreciate your offer of help a couple of weeks ago and also between you and lostandconfused Withenshaw appear to have now got a copy of my original letter explaining the problems with disconnection (see 14), however, ironically the letter they sent said they would be in contact and the next contact was (see 15) another bill.

Once again, I publically apologise if I have given the impression that ntl staff that are one these forums aren't doing anything, you wouldn't probably be here otherwise and its a positive sign of human nature that you do spend time on here sorting out others issues with ntl. Between yourself and lostandconfused you have spoken 100% more sense than any other contact I have had with ntl. Thankyou.

Thats fine, I just maybe had bit of a bad day and saw red.

just as a follow up of this lixel did you receive the letter from customer concern should have been sent out last sunday?
if not ill have one done tommorow

Thanks lac, I'd already passed this onto my Wythenshawe complaints contact myself as I'm not ICMS. I've still got a copy of the letter on my desk if you need it... mail me when your in tommorrow.

LixeL
13-10-2006, 20:16
Cheers guys for the help, and once again sorry for any rants, its been a very frustrating experience getting completely different stories each time I rung up customer service and being told several months after "supposed" disconnection that because it wasnt disconnected right I would still be liable for the 30 days notice from the current date etc, the emails to withenshaw being replied to in such a pointless way and the posted letter being "lost". With all the while the potential threat of increasing bills, debt collectors and the possibility of an adverse credit black mark (none of which I have ever had in my life having a no debt principle in life).

I guess most of my posts on here have been rather anti-NTL and its just felt a bit like a place to vent the frustration.

HughesJ
15-10-2006, 20:00
It seems that NTL policy has changed recently. If you move to a non-cabled area then you are likely to be held to your 12 month contract.

I think that this has changed recently because you used to be able to cancel immeadiately/or within 30 days.

If you manage to speak to NTL and get your account cancelled before the 12 months is up, make sure you keep an eye out for letters to your old address. I moved to a non-cabled area and I was billed at my old address for 6 months after telling NTL I had moved and agreeing to terminate the account with them. Make sure that your account is actually closed! I wouldn;t want you to end up with a debt collection notice like I did.
(I should say that I eventually sorted this out with NTL thanks to cableforum, but it took about 6 weeks)

J:D

opelfruitcase
15-10-2006, 22:39
It seems that NTL policy has changed recently. If you move to a non-cabled area then you are likely to be held to your 12 month contract.

I think that this has changed recently because you used to be able to cancel immeadiately/or within 30 days.

Yep, always 30 days notice, and also yes as I have mentioned above you are still held to your 12 month minimum contract - this has been in force since the start of this year, for I'm sure it must be about 9 months now.

nho1993
01-11-2006, 22:13
Hey...

Thanks for the posts, looks like im not moving anymore but just out of interest when my contract ends in feb can i cancle anytime after that, i dont want to do that just would like to know

lostandconfused
01-11-2006, 22:26
yep you can cancel anytime after your 12 month minimum period subject to 30 days notice