PDA

View Full Version : Connection sometimes drops

Atomiku
11-10-2006, 20:24
Hey there, I'm having a slight problem with my internet. Every week or so my connection decides to stop working and I have to go into the connection window and click repair to get it working again which is really annoying because I leave my computer on 24/7 and have servers running on it. It hasnt happened for a few days and ive rebooted since then.

Im running Windows XP Professional (SP2) and I have my NTL 250 modem plugged into my ethernet card.

So... what can be done to stop the random connection screw-ups? Perhaps I need to download some sort of monitor that logs what has gone wrong with the connection?

Thanks in advance, Atomiku. :tu:

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 00:27
Hey there, I'm having a slight problem with my internet. Every week or so my connection decides to stop working and I have to go into the connection window and click repair to get it working again which is really annoying because I leave my computer on 24/7 and have servers running on it. It hasnt happened for a few days and ive rebooted since then.

Im running Windows XP Professional (SP2) and I have my NTL 250 modem plugged into my ethernet card.

So... what can be done to stop the random connection screw-ups? Perhaps I need to download some sort of monitor that logs what has gone wrong with the connection?

Thanks in advance, Atomiku. :tu:

Hi, :welcome: to Cable Forum.

What kind of servers are you running on your connection? If its any server you've made public that's hogging bandwidth then it will mean that technically you've broken the AUP. Most private servers are ok though, of course.

In relation to the issues, may I suggest a proper server operating system (http://www.tinysofa.org/) (Windows really isn't meant to run servers IMO) .

Atomiku
12-10-2006, 12:40
Hey opelfruitcase, Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I've been having the same problems even without running a server (And the server im running now is private, yes.)

I'm hoping to get my hands on another computer soon and put linux on that. Not sure if it would solve the connection screwups though...

Any other suggestions about the connection drops?

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 13:56
Hey opelfruitcase, Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I've been having the same problems even without running a server (And the server im running now is private, yes.)

I'm hoping to get my hands on another computer soon and put linux on that. Not sure if it would solve the connection screwups though...

Any other suggestions about the connection drops?

Try removing and reinstalling the network card drviers and tcp/ip - see if that solves the problems. Next time it happens, rather than repairing the connection, try doing the following from a command prompt:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

See if that sorts the problem, if not then try unplugging the ethernet cable from the back of the computer and plug it back in. If that doesn't work either then just do what your doing now.

Post back here letting us know if the connections comes back up at either of these stages, it will help diagnose the problem in a little more detail.

Atomiku
12-10-2006, 16:23
Try removing and reinstalling the network card drviers and tcp/ip - see if that solves the problems. Next time it happens, rather than repairing the connection, try doing the following from a command prompt:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

See if that sorts the problem, if not then try unplugging the ethernet cable from the back of the computer and plug it back in. If that doesn't work either then just do what your doing now.

Post back here letting us know if the connections comes back up at either of these stages, it will help diagnose the problem in a little more detail.

Hmm... as far as I know both of those methods work. Although im not 100% sure, I'll just wait until my connection next drops out then post what happens when I try those methods. Thanks for the help so far, Atomiku. :tu:

lburmeister
15-10-2006, 12:21
Hi
have a similar problem eversince I am with ntl - connection via Belkin router and settop box. If I go to certain webpages (could be any) I get a timeout message - after that the browser is not able to find any webpage - I have to go downstairs reboot the setop box and my router and everything is fine until nexttime - funny enough my email is still working, my voip is working - I can ping the webpages - but can not get them loaded anymore (netscape and IE ) tried to change MTU to 1400 worked for few hours - than same problem.... any Ideas??? is it the DNS server setting - did not put any in my router setting?!?!

opelfruitcase
15-10-2006, 18:27
Hi
have a similar problem eversince I am with ntl - connection via Belkin router and settop box. If I go to certain webpages (could be any) I get a timeout message - after that the browser is not able to find any webpage - I have to go downstairs reboot the setop box and my router and everything is fine until nexttime - funny enough my email is still working, my voip is working - I can ping the webpages - but can not get them loaded anymore (netscape and IE ) tried to change MTU to 1400 worked for few hours - than same problem.... any Ideas??? is it the DNS server setting - did not put any in my router setting?!?!

Try manually specifying one of these proxy servers that are closest to you, see if that helps.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?goto=lastcomment&v=1&a=10

I know one or two of the Swansea proxies is having itermittent issues as we speak (or so it would seem).

lburmeister
15-10-2006, 23:28
hi opelfruitcase,

thanks for your suggestion - but where do I put this?!?! Sorry I have no clue about proxies - in my browser ?!??! as http proxy: sotn-cache-1.server.ntli.net - what is SOCKS 4 and SOCKS 5 ??? -I will try the sotn one - why can NTL give me this idea - I have called so often.......

Thanks
Leif

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

its me again,

with the soton proxy can I not even send the reply - I switched the proxy off completely - what happens now??

Leif

opelfruitcase
16-10-2006, 00:19
hi opelfruitcase,

thanks for your suggestion - but where do I put this?!?! Sorry I have no clue about proxies - in my browser ?!??! as http proxy: sotn-cache-1.server.ntli.net - what is SOCKS 4 and SOCKS 5 ??? -I will try the sotn one - why can NTL give me this idea - I have called so often.......

Thanks
Leif

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

its me again,

with the soton proxy can I not even send the reply - I switched the proxy off completely - what happens now??

Leif

I take it then you living in (or around) Southampton or Pompey! If sotn-cache-1.server.ntli.net didn't work, did you try, say sotn-cache-2.server.ntli.net or sotn-cache-3.server.ntli.net, and so on? On the topic of DNS - you shouldn't (sorry, don't) need to touch anything like that, as it is automagically set up when the router tries to get a connection to the internet from the cable modem.

lburmeister
16-10-2006, 00:50
thanks again,
no I live in Poole! If I chnage to the manual proxy it does not let me conect . I have removed it now and it is working - until I try to connect to my ftp-server via a PHP script and the whole STB needs to be rebootet. I do understand that there could be a problem with certain pages, but why do I need to reboot again and again - could it be the STB??? If I put any of the proxies from Soton in I get a message - connection does not work with proxy setting - do I need to reboot everytime I have changed the proxy setting?
Leif

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Hello again,
using soton 6 now - set the port as 8800 - was wrong - sorry - now it is working - even if I do not trust it jet - but perhaps you have solved the problem.... ......atleast I can use the ftp script which has caused up to now 100% failure..... ........I hope it stays like this!!!!

....you should work for the NTL hotline !!

Thanks Leif:tu:

opelfruitcase
16-10-2006, 01:09
thanks again,
no I live in Poole! If I chnage to the manual proxy it does not let me conect . I have removed it now and it is working - until I try to connect to my ftp-server via a PHP script and the whole STB needs to be rebootet. I do understand that there could be a problem with certain pages, but why do I need to reboot again and again - could it be the STB??? If I put any of the proxies from Soton in I get a message - connection does not work with proxy setting - do I need to reboot everytime I have changed the proxy setting?
Leif

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Hello again,
using soton 6 now - set the port as 8800 - was wrong - sorry - now it is working - even if I do not trust it jet - but perhaps you have solved the problem.... ......atleast I can use the ftp script which has caused up to now 100% failure..... ........I hope it stays like this!!!!

....you should work for the NTL hotline !!

Thanks Leif:tu:

Thanks! If the proxy has helped out then it maybe general browsing issues with your area - how long have you had this issue for?

lburmeister
16-10-2006, 01:14
...on and off for over 12 months - eversince I signed up with NTL ! But recently I got so bad that I got tiered off running up and down the stairs..... .....STB is downstairs!!

I hope it is working now!

Thanks a lot
Leif

---------- Post added at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 ----------

shall I change my MTU back to 1492 ( I got it now on 1400 ) or doesn't make any differents?

Leif

opelfruitcase
16-10-2006, 01:33
...on and off for over 12 months - eversince I signed up with NTL ! But recently I got so bad that I got tiered off running up and down the stairs..... .....STB is downstairs!!

I hope it is working now!

Thanks a lot
Leif

---------- Post added at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 ----------

shall I change my MTU back to 1492 ( I got it now on 1400 ) or doesn't make any differents?

Leif

Would make very little difference even in normal network situations. In the ntl context, MTU you could say is pretty much ignored for ntl as they change this as the request passes through the transparent proxies.

steved99
17-10-2006, 11:22
Had same problem a few months ago - went throught the usual - its not our fault routine it must be your router......... finally got "engineer" out & stuck a filter on the line FLD5W - forward path equaliser - 8dB. hey presto no line drops.