PDA

View Full Version : installation grief

hidethepies
11-10-2006, 19:57
hello everyone, im totaly new here, but have followed nthell world for 2 or 3 years.
have been a customer of ntls for about 5 years,unfortunately.
about 9 months ago, i moved to a new property, and the only way they would install me was if i had a new account?.. dont ask me why.. thats the only way they would lay me a cable at the new place.
anyways.. at the begining of october (2 weeks ago) i moved to a new flat that again, had NTL cable in the street, but not connected to the house. when i contacted house moving dept, first they told me that cable was not even in the street, even tho blatently it was.. i have one of those tubes right outside the driveway.. an a concrete manhole cover that says 'CATV' on it less than 1 metre from that!!, then they said it was not possibe to have services at my address. they were goin to send a survey engineer?? to look at the location and phone me with 3 days to let me know what the engineer says. but of course a week later and no phone call. so after 3 more phone calls to house moving dept and taking £4 each time to speak to them from a phone box during my lunch breaks.. can anybody suggest who i should be ringing to try an get an installation??.. PLEASE!!.:dozey:

MovedGoalPosts
11-10-2006, 20:11
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

Firstly it may well be the case that the property cannot be serviced, even though it appears that cables pass by in the street. Flats can have legal complications in that the cables need to be routed over land or parts of the property that you do not directly control. You only have direct control over your leased flat, not the common parts, common grounds, and probably even the main external walls.

The requirement for you to have a new account is simple. It takes a while for the cable company to recover the costs of installation. Thus they want you to have the service for a minimum period.

As for getting confirmation from ntl:telewest that a cable could or could not be installed, you need to ask sales to get someone from planning to get involved.

hidethepies
11-10-2006, 20:20
thanks rob.. i understand the possible complications. but im renting a room in the building and the landlord has told me before i moved in, she has no objections to ntl installing my cable. im just dissapointed with ntl's non helpful attitude. i did speak to one sympathetic cs lady who gave me the freephone numbers for house moving dept.. which ive never seen advertised before!

I will try an ring them again tomorow lunch time, and fingers crossed, they will have good news for me... cheers