PDA

View Full Version : Broadband services in the UK are way behind other countries.

scarper75
11-10-2006, 01:23
Broadband services in the UK are way behind services provided in other countries. Not only are the services in other countries half the price they are also much quicker.

Where download speeds in the UK have caught up with speeds provided in other countries, the Up speeds are still kept ridiculously low!!.

Having been a broadband customer in Amsterdam for 2 years, on a 4mb down line you would get 1mb up.
Now I have temporarily moved to Washington I have a 15mb line with 2mb up, and this costs less than a 4mb line in the UK.

I dont understand why the uk broadband services are so far behind the services that are provided by other countries?!?!

Why must NTL keep the up speeds to just 512kb on a 10mb line??
With the networks running on fibre they should be able to provide better bandwidth??? If companies in other countries can do it, why cant they in the UK?

Druchii
11-10-2006, 01:26
Broadband services in the UK are way behind services provided in other countries. Not only are the services in other countries half the price they are also much quicker.

Where download speeds in the UK have caught up with speeds provided in other countries, the Up speeds are still kept ridiculously low!!.

Having been a broadband customer in Amsterdam for 2 years, on a 4mb down line you would get 1mb up.
Now I have temporarily moved to Washington I have a 15mb line with 2mb up, and this costs less than a 4mb line in the UK.

I dont understand why the uk broadband services are so far behind the services that are provided by other countries?!?!

Why must NTL keep the up speeds to just 512kb on a 10mb line??
With the networks running on fibre they should be able to provide better bandwidth??? If companies in other countries can do it, why cant they in the UK?
Put simply: There isn't enough cash available to be able to install the equipment to allow that amount of upstream per customer. The network, if invested in would be able to take it, i'm sure. But they aren't at the point now where they can.

As proof, i may point you to the 20mb Trials going on, with only a 768kbps upload rate... Rather poor i agree. However, most people don't complain and most people don't require that much upstream anyway.

Welcome to the site!

scarper75
11-10-2006, 01:38
Cheers for the welcome. :)

If you have the need to upload large files though it can be very tedious on limited up speeds.

I really dont understand how all other countires have the ability to provide better services than can be provided by the UK??? We should be in the fore front of technology?!?!

It seems to me that it just comes down to it all just being monopolised in the UK; like most things!!

Druchii
11-10-2006, 01:59
Personally i would love 1mbit up speeds, and i do get annoyed tranferring 100mb+ files to friends, but realistically it's very rare i need to send these types of files. Usually it's the odd game patch that has crap servers hosting it. (which used to happen alot a while ago, seems to have been cured now)

Mind you saying that, hosting game servers is something i do quite often, and often enough people get annoyed because the up speed of the host (me) isn't good enough to support more than 16 people at once... (Makes CS:S a bit boring at times!) I'd love to be able to host a web server as well. But hey, we pay for huge down speeds, and don't really utilise much upstream.

Shaun
11-10-2006, 02:36
I really dont understand how all other countires have the ability to provide better services than can be provided by the UK???

:welcome:

Yeah, I hear the BB in Uganda is really rocking!

As for poor speeds. What do you pay in Washington (state* or DC?) for your 15 Mbit line? I pay £10 (~$19) a month for a 16Mbit/768Kb** BB - hardly pigeon post!

*if state, I thought Comcast (the main cable provider in Seattle) only went upto 8Mbit!

**I'm on ADSL2+ and the low upload (well not that low really) is a limitation of physics, it's not just a UK think it happens anywhere this technology is used. :)