PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff problems anyone?

Jay271
09-10-2006, 23:37
I'm on the 10mb package, but am having awful problems.

Speed tests are showing anything between 500k and 3Mb download speeds.

Seems to be slow on everything, browsing, usenet and email.

Anyone else having issues?

Richy99
09-10-2006, 23:40
seem all ok here, im getting about 7meg from giganews on my old cmx which maxes out at about 7.5meg

Jay271
10-10-2006, 21:06
Still the same this evening, my upload speed is 512 and my d/l is 228 - Great stuff NTL.

Gave up after 40mins on hold :(

kronas
10-10-2006, 21:08
must be the 20meg users sucking up all the bandwidth ;)

NoelT
10-10-2006, 21:16
Mine is appalling tonight, even worse than usual.

I've got an engineer calling to replace my CM as it keeps rebooting but even so, the speed is unusable tonight.

I'm in Barry...

opelfruitcase
10-10-2006, 21:37
must be the 20meg users sucking up all the bandwidth ;)

Nope, thats only Swansea - Cardiff aren't that lucky.

Another reason why Swansea is better than Cardiff :p: ;)

Jay271
11-10-2006, 14:19
Another reason why Swansea is better than Cardiff :p: ;)

Cough, cough, splutter! :eek:

Just as bad today. Grrr, I have a new BT line going in soon, so I'll be able to compare both haha

Jay271
11-10-2006, 17:04
Finally got through to support, such as it was.

By just asking my postcode, the indian tech guy was able to get my mac address, and tell me that the DHCP client wasn't correct. He made a change and it should all be ok.

Really. Wow. What a guy. In my postcode there are at least 15 other people with broadband through NTL (it's a precabled apartment buidling). But with just that information, he got my MAC address. Never mind that he then got access to my DHCP client by waving his magic fairy wand!

I'm so fed up of the poor service, now coupled with further lies from their support guys - AAAARRGGH!

OK Rant over.
Sigh

opelfruitcase
11-10-2006, 17:11
Finally got through to support, such as it was.

By just asking my postcode, the indian tech guy was able to get my mac address, and tell me that the DHCP client wasn't correct. He made a change and it should all be ok.

Really. Wow. What a guy. In my postcode there are at least 15 other people with broadband through NTL (it's a precabled apartment buidling). But with just that information, he got my MAC address. Never mind that he then got access to my DHCP client by waving his magic fairy wand!

I'm so fed up of the poor service, now coupled with further lies from their support guys - AAAARRGGH!

OK Rant over.
Sigh

If you've called from your ntl phone line don't forget they probably had your telephone number to search on from the caller id on their telephony equipment.

Jay271
11-10-2006, 22:22
If you've called from your ntl phone line don't forget they probably had your telephone number to search on from the caller id on their telephony equipment.

No, it was from work that I called. Since spoke to someone else in the UK, who couldn't believe what I was told - Ah well. She's going to do some checks for me. Finally, someone taking control of the issue...

Now just wait and see what happens :D

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 00:06
No, it was from work that I called. Since spoke to someone else in the UK, who couldn't believe what I was told - Ah well. She's going to do some checks for me. Finally, someone taking control of the issue...

Now just wait and see what happens :D

I'd offer to help myself but unfortunately I wouldn't have the required access to the necessary systems.

da_bomb_3k
12-10-2006, 00:37
im from barry also and speed tests are showing speeds of about 300kb/s which sux..

i have the really old modem too but i at least normally get speeds of around 900kb/s - 1000kb/s..

NTL want £50 to update me to the latest modem.. anyone know a way around paying this charge?

thanks in advance

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 01:12
im from barry also and speed tests are showing speeds of about 300kb/s which sux..

i have the really old modem too but i at least normally get speeds of around 900kb/s - 1000kb/s..

NTL want £50 to update me to the latest modem.. anyone know a way around paying this charge?

thanks in advance

Hi :welcome: to Cable Forum

If your getting those kind of speeds normally then you really don't need to upgrade your cable modem. The issues your suffering, like the OP (Jay) isn't to do with the cable modem you have but its likely the problems are related. As you live in Barry its very likely your connected to the same ubr as the OP.

NoelT
12-10-2006, 11:09
Mine was even worse last night, tried to use it for about 20 mins, modem rebooted at least 4 times.

When it did work, I ran the speedtest and was getting anywhere from 500k - 9meg!!! Although the 9meg must have been a 'blip' as I very rarely get the speed I'm supposed to be on!

NTL have agreed to change the modem, what model will they replace it with? I currently have a CM100 I think, a flat silver box??

da_bomb_3k
12-10-2006, 11:26
looked into this a bit further an ive noticed that i only ever get the 1000kb/s when using newsgroups..

i never download at anywhere near these speeds when using ANY other service..

spoke to NTL this morning who has said that there is no problems with the Teryon modems (yea whatever) and also ran a few checks on my modem to make sure its working fine which they decided there all in order..

also was told that there is no issues with receiving the full speeds on the teryon modems..

i got no-where when trying to get them to replace the modem an have to call them back tomorrow to run through p.c specific tests (whatever they may be)

just thought id shed some light on the situation

(the engineer i was speaking to also reckoned he had the teryon modem an it sworks to the full 10mb and its even currently getting the 20mb connection on the tests [he lives in swansea])

sideshowmatt
12-10-2006, 12:33
NTL confirmed to me that the Terayon does not like the higher speed services, and they came out to swap it for a blue ntl 250. The engineer then again confirmed that the Terayons can't handle it.

Bit of advice though, if they do swap your modem, make sure it works before letting the engineer leave. I made the mistake of assuming that it would take some time to register, and that all would be ok, and then got told off by the Indians for letting the engineer leave.

The moto is: if you let the engineer leave, then you are to blame, and you can get back in the queue

Jay271
12-10-2006, 14:10
I had some problems a while back, and had one of the older silver modems. I was getting poor speeds and disconnects, and I remember seeing somewhere that model of modem couldn't handle the 10meg link.

Anyhoo, asked for a new modem and got no dice from support. Ended up going to cancel my account, and move to another provider, and the staff in disconnections got a uk based tech guy to help me with the problems, and sent out a new lil blue modem.

It's a shame it took getting to cancel the account to finally receive decent assistance though.

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 15:02
looked into this a bit further an ive noticed that i only ever get the 1000kb/s when using newsgroups..

i never download at anywhere near these speeds when using ANY other service..

spoke to NTL this morning who has said that there is no problems with the Teryon modems (yea whatever) and also ran a few checks on my modem to make sure its working fine which they decided there all in order..

also was told that there is no issues with receiving the full speeds on the teryon modems..

i got no-where when trying to get them to replace the modem an have to call them back tomorrow to run through p.c specific tests (whatever they may be)

just thought id shed some light on the situation

(the engineer i was speaking to also reckoned he had the teryon modem an it sworks to the full 10mb and its even currently getting the 20mb connection on the tests [he lives in swansea])

What you've said there again points to the problem more than likely being further upstream as opposed to cable modem issues. Possibly a congested ubr or maybe traffic shaping (yes ntl have admited they will occasionally shape traffic when congestion levels on a particular ubr are very high) - that would all tally in with some traffic (news, etc) getting full speed and others not so full speed.

Felix
12-10-2006, 18:43
Hi,
I've signed up to these forums hoping someone else may have a similar problem or fix.

Basically, everything on the internet is corrupt!

Pictures seem corrupt, they look like this:
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5486/prob2copyqg9.jpg

Videos I've downloaded look like this (From a reputable Motorsport disscussion forum which I've been using everyday since the start of 2004):
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4643/prob1un4.jpg

Any program setups don't work and .zip files are also corrupt. I haven't been on anything dodgy either. It's really frustrating as I can't do school work.
I've done a virus scan with AVG free, and it found nothing and no threats were found with Spybot or Adaware apart from 2 cookies which I removed and that didn't have an effect. Everything else on my computer is fine. I also tried using another computer (Fijitsu Laptop on the same wireless network) but that had exactly the same problem, which makes me think the ISP is to blame. I don't live in Cardiff, but Penarth which is like 5 mins away. Does anyone have any idea about what's causing the problem?

Thanks for any help,
Felix

NoelT
12-10-2006, 18:52
A couple of things that may help. try a wired connection instead of wireless. try firefox instead of IE?

Felix
12-10-2006, 19:20
A couple of things that may help. try a wired connection instead of wireless. try firefox instead of IE?

I tried it using a cable, still got the same problem. Switched to IE, and that didn't help either.

Jay271
14-10-2006, 15:13
Engineer arrived today to take a look at the modem, all looks good etc. Sod's law means that when he was here, I was getting about 7-8Mbps which is fine.

Right now? I'm getting 1Mbps if I'm lucky - AAARRGH! :Yikes:

Still, I should have expected it :)

The engineer (hello if you're reading!) said he will check with the network team about any other work going on that may affect the service. Hopefully that will find something.

Watch this space.... ;)