PDA

View Full Version : using smtp from my own domain

globalart4u
09-10-2006, 19:45
I have been using ntl since 2000 and have always used my own smtp for outgoing email but since middle of last week have discovered that i cannot use my own smtp. Does anyone know how i can use my own smtp as i do not want to use the smtp of ntl as there are problems of it being on tons of black lists and i prefer to use my own anyway. If there is no way around can anyone recommend an isp which will let me use my own domain smtp's (i have four domains). It is a pity as i quite like ntl but it seems if this has changed then it is no use to me and i cannot afford their business broadband rate, as it seems that it will allow this but as far as i am aware only for one domain name!

thank you in advance

opelfruitcase
09-10-2006, 20:17
Hi

I'm quite suprised that smtp worked for you at all, as I thought NTL implemented port blocking, blocking key ports such as smtp to prevent comprimised computers bringing down the network. I'm sure most ISP's have similar policies these days.

globalart4u
09-10-2006, 20:22
oh i did not know that - i have always used it until now. Is there no workaround do you know of? my pc has never once been compromised as i update my antivirus every day and check for trojan and other things daily. Also am very rarely surfing on the internet as i mostly use email or my own domains

Paul
09-10-2006, 20:31
ntl have never blocked outgoing smtp, and still don't. I use it from my pc without problems.

globalart4u
09-10-2006, 20:35
it seems it is somehow being blocked now as i am unable to send emails anymore and do not know what to do. do you use business broadband? My domains are on two different servers one in the states and one here but i cannot send emails anymore and get the following message: User unknown', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 553, Error Number: 0x800CCC79 oUser unknown
501 5.6.0 Data format error
r

opelfruitcase
09-10-2006, 20:35
ntl have never blocked outgoing smtp, and still don't. I use it from my pc without problems.

Don't they? I'm sure I remember reading once that they used to systematically block key ports and that smtp was one of them. I did try my webmail/imap project again the other day and started fiddling with the smtp on that but couldn't get it to work - had put it down mainly to this.

globalart4u
09-10-2006, 20:55
so does that me that maybe there is soemthing wrong with my box or my connection if ntl does not block smtp?

Paul
09-10-2006, 20:59
I'm sure I remember reading once that they used to systematically block key ports and that smtp was one of them. Yes, they block some ports from incoming requests, not outgoing (not sure if smtp was one of them).

You wouldn't be able to use any e-mail system other than ntl if they blocked o/g smtp, and plenty of people do.

Cobbydaler
09-10-2006, 21:19
Have they started using authentication?

Have you got 'My server requires authentication' checked in the outgoing server account properties?

[Edit] 'they' = your hosting people, not ntl:...

DocDutch
09-10-2006, 21:19
Don't they? I'm sure I remember reading once that they used to systematically block key ports and that smtp was one of them. I did try my webmail/imap project again the other day and started fiddling with the smtp on that but couldn't get it to work - had put it down mainly to this.

nopes NTL doesnt block SMTP traffic. I'm not using the NTL email but a german based email server (gmx.net) and been using this ever since I joined NTL. never ever setup NTLworld on my outlooks over those years.

AbyssUnderground
09-10-2006, 22:53
I can confirm NTL do not block smtp also as I run my own mail server, http server, ftp server etc on the same connection.

globalart4u
11-10-2006, 17:55
would you have any suggestions or know why it is not working for me anymore then?

Cobbydaler
11-10-2006, 18:10
Have they started using authentication?

Have you got 'My server requires authentication' checked in the outgoing server account properties?

[Edit] 'they' = your hosting people, not ntl:...

See post above...

You can get that error if your smtp server requires authentication...