PDA

View Full Version : My speed test result

samsungdude
09-10-2006, 19:38
Hi, new here (to the forums), basiclly, iv been on ntl broadband for about 2yrs now, and have had no problems up untill about 8months ago. From then my net has been diabollical (dont think i spelt it correctly) basiclly heres the situation and problem:

Me and my dad are behind a router (and was b4 the problem started). ok, so for about 8 months now, my net will be fine for weeks between 2-4 weeks maybe longer at a time, and then my net will go absoloutly terrible for a couple of weeks, it is so slow, that it takes over a mintute to load my homepage (yahoo), and at the moment it is terrible, here is a speed test i done 10mins ago:

Mon, 09 Oct 2006 18:17:31 GMT

1st 512K took 23187 ms = 22.1 KB/sec, approx 182 Kbps, 0.18 Mbps
2nd 512K took 17703 ms = 28.9 KB/sec, approx 238 Kbps, 0.23 Mbps
3rd 512K took 11516 ms = 44.5 KB/sec, approx 367 Kbps, 0.36 Mbps
4th 512K took 21969 ms = 23.3 KB/sec, approx 192 Kbps, 0.19 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 245 Kbps, 0.24 Mbps

Now considering we are on a 2mb connection, and we are getting speeds like that, theres gotta be something wrong, and its not like my net only goes this bad 3 or 4 times a year. i have updated my computer, and my dad has too, to as far as it can go. we have not changed anything from from before the regular problem accured, and since wev been getting this problem, me and my dad have formatted our comps (for different reasons) and we still get the problem. The only thing that i can think that has caused this problem, is we have a new ntl set top box, i cant remember exactly when they came round and installed this box, but in my mind, it could have been roughly a month before we started getting these problems. Everytime we ring ntl and select the broadband option, we get put through to bombay india, and to be honest, is useless, we try everything they say, turning the comp off, unplugging the router, unplugging ntl, leaving 30secs and then turning it all back on, makes no difference. The set top box we have is....:

Samsung SMT-2100C

The reason im posting, is to see if any of you have had any problems like this, or if any of you know the reason for me having these problems, or what i can do.

So any help will be greatly appritiated

Cheers
James

(ps. my spelling is pretty bad, sorry)

ultimate
09-10-2006, 19:48
read this:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=52324

opelfruitcase
09-10-2006, 19:55
Hi :welcome: to CF.

Just a few quick questions:
1) How are both computers connected to the router - are you using ethernet or is it wirelessly?
2) Have you tried connecting the stb directly to one of the computers see if your still having difficulties?
3) Any signal issues with the pictures/sound on the stb (such as broken/itermittent pictures and/or sound)?

EDIT: I've just noticed the post by ultimate so I may be barking up the wrong tree. Then again your saying you've had these issues for eight months now.... has it always been this dire?

samsungdude
09-10-2006, 20:00
well, me and my dads comps are connected to the router via ethernet, i think my dad tried connecting his comp straight to the ntl box, but i dont think it made any difference, still slow, and yes sometimes i do get problems that you stated for number 3) that you posted, but not THAT oftern. im 99% sure that the problem is nothing to do with either the comps or the router, im pretty sure its ntl, either the box/modem or whatever.

opelfruitcase
09-10-2006, 20:32
well, me and my dads comps are connected to the router via ethernet, i think my dad tried connecting his comp straight to the ntl box, but i dont think it made any difference, still slow, and yes sometimes i do get problems that you stated for number 3) that you posted, but not THAT oftern. im 99% sure that the problem is nothing to do with either the comps or the router, im pretty sure its ntl, either the box/modem or whatever.

Has it suddenly got this bad in the last few days then or has it always been this slow? I'm inclined to lean towards it possibly being a problem with the stb - can't see that even if your connected to a severely congested ubr that you'd get speeds that slow, but I've not much experience of broadband through an stb so be able to say for definite. Reading on of your other posts I notice your in Portsmouth, and I can't see from the ntl status page that there's any network upgrades in your area, certainly not this week anyway.

samsungdude
09-10-2006, 22:02
well, the last couple of days its got really bad, wen we rung ntl, they said that there server had gone down in the past week, but every couple of weeks to a month it uselly goes like this, then it will be fine for a couple of weeks, then go terrible again, its constantly up and down up and down, for a couple of weeks, it will be fine, then for a couple of weeks will be terrible again. originally i thought maybe we were hitting a download limit, but coming to think of it, we dont even download that much, and we defo dont download any more than we used to before it all started.

(by the way, what does ubr mean?)

opelfruitcase
09-10-2006, 22:42
well, the last couple of days its got really bad, wen we rung ntl, they said that there server had gone down in the past week, but every couple of weeks to a month it uselly goes like this, then it will be fine for a couple of weeks, then go terrible again, its constantly up and down up and down, for a couple of weeks, it will be fine, then for a couple of weeks will be terrible again. originally i thought maybe we were hitting a download limit, but coming to think of it, we dont even download that much, and we defo dont download any more than we used to before it all started.

(by the way, what does ubr mean?)

There aren't any download caps anyway that would cause your service to be restricted in any way. UBR = universal broadband router - its what your cable modem/stb connects to/terminates at on the ntl network that connects you to the internet, in layman's terms. (see here (http://www.birds-eye.net/definition/acronym.cgi?what+is+uBR=Universal+Broadband+Router&id=1152991578) and here (http://www.birds-eye.net/definition/acronym.cgi?what+is+CMTS=Cable+Modem+Termination+S ystem&id=1158769543)).

samsungdude
10-10-2006, 01:09
ok cheers for all the replies guys, So wen i nxt ring ntl, what exactly do you suggest i say to try and get them to send someone out to have a look?

opelfruitcase
10-10-2006, 09:29
ok cheers for all the replies guys, So wen i nxt ring ntl, what exactly do you suggest i say to try and get them to send someone out to have a look?

Explain to them you've already power-cycled the stb, tried it connected to just the one computer and the problem is still there. Explain you've checked for area outages and there aren't any your aware of. If you don't get any luck and the query isn't resolved to your satisfaction then you can request to speak to level 2 tech support in Swansea.

samsungdude
10-10-2006, 15:43
hello back again,
Right basiclly, wen i jumped on the computer this morning, the net was a lot better, but i told my dad to ring ntl anyway, because in a couple weeks, or maybe by this evening, it will be terrible again. so he phoned ntl, they told us to do the usel stuff, then they told us to plug ntl straight into the computer not through the router, we did that, and then they started saying that the router was timing out, and that wen the comp was plugged straight to ntl, the connection was fine, so they are saying that its the router. So since that phone call, i was talking to my dad, and now we are thinking, that maybe, the samsung box they put in 8months ago (they installed the samsung because we upgraded the net speed, b4 we were using an old pace box) is not compatable with our router? but we dont even no if this is possible, so ill give you details on my router, and if any of you could tell me if it is possible that the samsung box is not working because of the router, would be very greatfull:

its a:

Belkin 4-port cable/dsl gate way router

the model name is: f5d5230-4

samsungdude
10-10-2006, 20:18
ok, so i plugged ntl straight into my comp, tried playing an online game (counter strike source) and my ping was so high, it was un-playable, so it defo is not my router, wen i ring ntl, who do i ask to be put thru to swansea? cos my dad said that wen u ring ntl, you HAVE to select an option, if u select the broadband option you get put thru to bombay, once put thru to them, do we ask them to put us thru to swansea? or is there another option we should select to ask to be put through to swansea?

opelfruitcase
10-10-2006, 20:52
ok, so i plugged ntl straight into my comp, tried playing an online game (counter strike source) and my ping was so high, it was un-playable, so it defo is not my router, wen i ring ntl, who do i ask to be put thru to swansea? cos my dad said that wen u ring ntl, you HAVE to select an option, if u select the broadband option you get put thru to bombay, once put thru to them, do we ask them to put us thru to swansea? or is there another option we should select to ask to be put through to swansea?

It isn't an option on the IVR - you need to ring tech support and if you don't immediately get through to Swansea you can request to speak to level 2 tech support. However you have to give the agent an attempt at resolving it first, and if your not happy then request it to be escilated to level 2. The router would make dilly-squat difference in the circumstances as your experience has proved, and neither would communication between the router and stb. Only time you would notice a degraded service with a router it you have a wireless connection and there's other interference, like being close to radio-emitting devices or have walls between the computer and router - and that wouldn't apply to yourself having a wired connection.

BTW that router is a strange looking beast - quite cute though!

samsungdude
10-10-2006, 20:59
ok, so i just select the broadband option -> speak to ppl in india -> once that doesnt help ask to be put through to level 2 tech support in swansea. also, iv been reading this forums and others, and sum ppl have had the same problem, and they said eventuelly ntl came out replaced the box, and the problem was sorted, if after i get put through to level 2 tech support, if what they say STILL makes no difference, will they THEN send someone out to replace the box?

(ps thanks for all the help btw)

opelfruitcase
10-10-2006, 21:37
ok, so i just select the broadband option -> speak to ppl in india -> once that doesnt help ask to be put through to level 2 tech support in swansea. also, iv been reading this forums and others, and sum ppl have had the same problem, and they said eventuelly ntl came out replaced the box, and the problem was sorted, if after i get put through to level 2 tech support, if what they say STILL makes no difference, will they THEN send someone out to replace the box?

(ps thanks for all the help btw)

The guys in Swansea are all very experienced and know their stuff. If they suspect in any way its the box and are able to rule out everything else then they will of course either send a fault tech out for you, or hand you over to customer services for the option of getting a SACM installed instead (which is a better long term option IMO; although there may or may not be an installation charge for this, I'm not too sure as I don't have any dealings with customers who have broadband through an STB when I'm in work).

die5el
10-10-2006, 21:39
Have you made sure that you have forwarded the ports in your router for your game. This site here tells you about port forwarding :- http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

opelfruitcase
10-10-2006, 21:45
Have you made sure that you have forwarded the ports in your router for your game. This site here tells you about port forwarding :- http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

The main issue here is that all IP traffic is slow, web browsing, gaming, the lot given the speed test results.

samsungdude
10-10-2006, 21:51
is a SACM a modem?

And yeah iv looked at all that, but its not just counter strike that its with, its just the net all together.

SnoopZ
10-10-2006, 22:03
is a SACM a modem?

And yeah iv looked at all that, but its not just counter strike that its with, its just the net all together.

SACM = Stand Alone Cable Modem

opelfruitcase
10-10-2006, 22:08
SACM = Stand Alone Cable Modem

Sorry I have a terrible habit with TIA's (three letter acronyms).

samsungdude
10-10-2006, 22:10
aight cheers dudes, im gonna ring them up 2morow, and then get put thru to swansea as the indians help wont help, after the looooong phone call lol ill post back with whats happening

why is the SACM better in the long run?

SnoopZ
10-10-2006, 22:15
aight cheers dudes, im gonna ring them up 2morow, and then get put thru to swansea as the indians help wont help, after the looooong phone call lol ill post back with whats happening

why is the SACM better in the long run?

Faster speeds with the latest NTL:250 modem and more stable than earlier modems i believe.

opelfruitcase
10-10-2006, 22:24
Faster speeds with the latest NTL:250 modem and more stable than earlier modems i believe.

Yes - On the 24.99 broadband tier I can see the next speed increase is likely to be to 8M/bit (note - thats not insider info that just me hazarding a guess!), so the Samsung stb's will pretty much be running at their top limit.

samsungdude
11-10-2006, 14:47
ok so i rung ntl last night, and got the number for tech support level 2, so i ring them today, and i got an automated msg, saying that due to the wheather some of their services have gone down and to try calling them 2morow, thats terrible, i mean, my problem has NOTHING to do with the wheather, and because the wheather is terrible, they are using that as an excuse, and now it means ANOTHER day goes where i cant get this sorted, this is terrible. i will try ringing them again later tonight, i have no doubt that the msg will still be playing, and then ill try 2morow, if still no luck, im going to start looking for another isp and phoneline whilst i continue to TRY to get this rubbish sorted, because this is just terrible.

opelfruitcase
11-10-2006, 15:00
ok so i rung ntl last night, and got the number for tech support level 2, so i ring them today, and i got an automated msg, saying that due to the wheather some of their services have gone down and to try calling them 2morow, thats terrible, i mean, my problem has NOTHING to do with the wheather, and because the wheather is terrible, they are using that as an excuse, and now it means ANOTHER day goes where i cant get this sorted, this is terrible. i will try ringing them again later tonight, i have no doubt that the msg will still be playing, and then ill try 2morow, if still no luck, im going to start looking for another isp and phoneline whilst i continue to TRY to get this rubbish sorted, because this is just terrible.

Try them again now, the weather affected all of Swansea, including level 2 TSB. A lightning strike last night took out all IT and telephony system - the centre is only now just got up and running again.

thestrangler
11-10-2006, 15:03
Is it my imagination or is my 2 meg ntl broaband connection getting slower over the last two months? Or, is there an ohtside reason for this.?:(

samsungdude
11-10-2006, 17:25
I rung ntl AGAIN today, actuelly got thru, the indian dude ran sum tests, he said that my set top box isnt transmitting or the signal is screwed or sumthin, BUT they are sending a engineer round 2morow between 12-6.

so hopefully this will get sorted!

I will update again 2morow with the latest.

SnoopZ
11-10-2006, 17:53
Is it my imagination or is my 2 meg ntl broaband connection getting slower over the last two months? Or, is there an ohtside reason for this.?:(

Well your 2mbit broadband should have now been upgraded for free to 4mbit. Try a spped test at the top of this page.

opelfruitcase
11-10-2006, 20:35
I rung ntl AGAIN today, actuelly got thru, the indian dude ran sum tests, he said that my set top box isnt transmitting or the signal is screwed or sumthin, BUT they are sending a engineer round 2morow between 12-6.

so hopefully this will get sorted!

I will update again 2morow with the latest.

Sounding like bit of a result... as you said let me know how you get on.

samsungdude
12-10-2006, 16:23
Well, ntl came out, they did a test, said that the signal was low, so they 'upped the signal' then we reset everything, made NO difference AT ALL, i said to them, i wreckon its the STB as its only been like it just after they fitted that box, to which he replied with "well these are the best boxes we have" they said to leave it a while to see if it gets any better, after an hour or 2 after they left, still no sign of any improvement, so we rung ntl AGAIN there comin out AGAIN 2morow between 12- 6 (AGAIN lol) and my dad said to the dude on the phone "any chance you could give them a note/msg to bring another STB" he said he would try, but wen they come round 2morow, if after they do sumthin and its made no difference, im gonna protest and say to them, that its NO different, can you try a new STB.

Question: if what the ntl guy tries makes no difference, if i ask him to try a new STB or SACM will he try it? or will he say that i have to make another request for a engineer?

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 16:36
Well, ntl came out, they did a test, said that the signal was low, so they 'upped the signal' then we reset everything, made NO difference AT ALL, i said to them, i wreckon its the STB as its only been like it just after they fitted that box, to which he replied with "well these are the best boxes we have" they said to leave it a while to see if it gets any better, after an hour or 2 after they left, still no sign of any improvement, so we rung ntl AGAIN there comin out AGAIN 2morow between 12- 6 (AGAIN lol) and my dad said to the dude on the phone "any chance you could give them a note/msg to bring another STB" he said he would try, but wen they come round 2morow, if after they do sumthin and its made no difference, im gonna protest and say to them, that its NO different, can you try a new STB.

Question: if what the ntl guy tries makes no difference, if i ask him to try a new STB or SACM will he try it? or will he say that i have to make another request for a engineer?

A SACM install won't be carried out by a fault tech. They should be able to note it on the workforce job that new stb may be required, thus should be able to arrange a swap. If you want, however - you could ring customer services and instead book a SACM swap.

samsungdude
12-10-2006, 18:57
if how ever it is noted that a new STB may be needed. would the fault tech have one in the van by any chance? or will it be ANOTHER visit ill need after this one?

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 20:02
if how ever it is noted that a new STB may be needed. would the fault tech have one in the van by any chance? or will it be ANOTHER visit ill need after this one?

They will normally have one in the van, but not always. If you have any further issues, with the appointment tommorrow. Next move I'd suggest would be to go ring Customer Services and plump for a cable modem instead.

samsungdude
12-10-2006, 20:08
LOL cheers for all the help m8y, i will do that. . . . .any chance YOU can come down here and sort it out? as you have helped me 20x more than ringing and seeing ntl so far! lol

opelfruitcase
12-10-2006, 20:29
LOL cheers for all the help m8y, i will do that. . . . .any chance YOU can come down here and sort it out? as you have helped me 20x more than ringing and seeing ntl so far! lol

Probably wouldn't be much help actually! If I was to ever have a look or attempt to adjust any power/signal levels in the cab I wouldn't have a clue what I'd be doing, maybe annoy everyone in your street though when I end up accidently killing the entire cab!

Tis ok though, no worries regarding the help - anytime. Could you be so very nice as to give me a little rep to show your appreciation? ;)

samsungdude
12-10-2006, 21:23
yeah defo, but how do i do that? (lol im new here)

SnoopZ
12-10-2006, 21:25
yeah defo, but how do i do that? (lol im new here)

Click the http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/buttons/reputation.gif at the bottom of his post. :)

samsungdude
13-10-2006, 18:10
ok, so the dude came round tested everything, stb, router, signal, all fine, but still crappy speeds, so he said that hell fit a new box, which he did, had to leave it 30mins after he gone, then reboot it all, sorted all the ntl world stuff out, but im still getting bad speeds:

Overall Average Speed = approx 1467 Kbps, 1.43 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 967 Kbps, 0.95 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 2376 Kbps, 2.32 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1815 Kbps, 1.77 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1824 Kbps, 1.78 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3741 Kbps, 3.65 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1502 Kbps, 1.47 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 946 Kbps, 0.93 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 656 Kbps, 0.64 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1187 Kbps, 1.16 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3296 Kbps, 3.22 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1677 Kbps, 1.64 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3330 Kbps, 3.25 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1163 Kbps, 1.14 Mbps

he said that he was puzzled as to why its so bad (b4 fitting the new box) but said that the SACM seem to be much better than the STB, but just as he was leaving, he said that if its still rubbish, then to ring ntl again, and they will send sum ppl out to do a 'investigation' who are hot with broadband and comps. so i will ring them on monday, and try to get them to come out and try to sort this. never no, by sum chance it may be better by then (but i doubt it)

p.s i did ur rep fruitcase

opelfruitcase
13-10-2006, 19:35
ok, so the dude came round tested everything, stb, router, signal, all fine, but still crappy speeds, so he said that hell fit a new box, which he did, had to leave it 30mins after he gone, then reboot it all, sorted all the ntl world stuff out, but im still getting bad speeds:
<snip>
he said that he was puzzled as to why its so bad (b4 fitting the new box) but said that the SACM seem to be much better than the STB, but just as he was leaving, he said that if its still rubbish, then to ring ntl again, and they will send sum ppl out to do a 'investigation' who are hot with broadband and comps. so i will ring them on monday, and try to get them to come out and try to sort this. never no, by sum chance it may be better by then (but i doubt it)

p.s i did ur rep fruitcase

Thanks for that! I'm wondering if a network tech has been out yet to adjust the power/signal levels in the cab, as you mentioned before that a previous tech that went to sort this out mentioned that signal levels were low? Some times (for some reason) a network tech is required to do this instead of a fault tech (anyone know why?). Do you have any issues with the picture on the stb at all? I mean do you get any blocky/broken picture and ittermittent sound?

samsungdude
14-10-2006, 11:21
i havnt had a problem with this new stb (i mean with the picture and all) but i dont think he adjusted teh signal in the cab, i thought he said he was going to the van to do it. at the MOMENT, all my speed tests are cumin up round about 3-3.9 meg, BUT it may just be going through one of those fases, (as i said) where the net will be fine for a couple of weeks, then rubbish for a couple of weeks)

so yeah, as of now, my net seems to be fine, but i wont no if its completley sorted for like a month or so.