PDA

View Full Version : New cables power levels assistance required, please?

gazbiggs
09-10-2006, 14:15
Hi all,

Can someone please assist with the following --

I have just run some new PH100 cable (outside) for my ntl SACM to replace the previous cheap cable (inside) and am experiencing problems with the power levels.

Both cables are about the same length (20m).

The new cable has been terminated with satellite screw type wall sockets so I just patch in the SACP and ntl feed.

Upstream power remains the same but the Downstream power changes and problems occur.

Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.3 dBmV

Old cable -
Downstream Receive Power Level : -4.2 dBmV
Download : 1.2MBps

New cable -
Downstream Receive Power Level : -19.5 dBmV
Download rate : 100KBps

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

gazbiggs

Graham M
09-10-2006, 14:45
Anybody got any ideas?

Yes phone NTL and get them to sort it out, you shouldn't be touching any cable that isn't your side of the Cable Modem.

Paul K
09-10-2006, 14:49
Might want to make sure you can pay the call out fee when you do it though. Should never tamper or interfere with anything on the NTL side of the SACM/ STB

Hugh
09-10-2006, 14:52
Or just put the old cables back :-)

Paul K
09-10-2006, 14:57
Or just put the old cables back :-)
if he still has them in usable form :erm:

sollp
09-10-2006, 17:54
Basically gazbiggs you've knackered it, you have made a mess of the connectoin by using the satellite type connectors. I often moan about people doing the job themselves and this is the reason why, not only have you made a mess of your connection, those connectors will be spewing out loads of noise causing issues on the network for everybody else.

In these situations by the time you have purchased the goods yourself and had the hassle of doing the job only to find it doesn't work, the £25.00 cost to get NTL to do it, is really quite reasonable.

Nedkelly
09-10-2006, 19:05
I see people doing this all the time and they do not like being charged £25 for ntl to fix the problem .The f connectors you have put on is there braiding comming out of the connector has any of the braiding touching the copper core ? and is the copper core to long .These are some of things can cause problems for you and othe people

Stu038
09-10-2006, 20:36
have you kinked the cables behind the face plate? that will give you very similar problems, the bending radius for that cable is about 60mm iirc which is not conducive to being on a face plate .............

Just as a matter of interest whats this SACP your referring too or is that just a typo?

gazbiggs
09-10-2006, 23:32
Hi,

Thanks Nedkelly and Stu038 for the constructive comments.

It turns out the cable is fine - the problem was caused by the faceplates used --

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13740

With these removed the signal goes back to what it was.

The above faceplates were "unscreened" - would "screened" ones make a difference if I could source any?

I'm sure they would - surely we don't all have coax cable pinned to the skirting boards etc.

Thanks again.

gazbiggs

sollp
10-10-2006, 17:37
Hi,

Thanks Nedkelly and Stu038 for the constructive comments.

It turns out the cable is fine - the problem was caused by the faceplates used --

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13740

With these removed the signal goes back to what it was.

The above faceplates were "unscreened" - would "screened" ones make a difference if I could source any?

I'm sure they would - surely we don't all have coax cable pinned to the skirting boards etc.

Thanks again.

gazbiggs

gazbiggs was only being honest with you, don't take it to heart about me saying, you'd knackered it,(some people are a bit to touchy on these forums).

Basically do not use any form of face plate with the NTL installation or sattelite connectors, you need to have NTL do the job, they will use the correct equipment needed for the job. This will stop the problems you will experience by using the improper equipment.

Like i said previousely, by the time you have paid out it would have been more beneficial to get NTL to do the job.

Hope you find my comments construtive and helpful, have a nice evening now.