PDA

View Full Version : After 5 years with Blueyonder I just DOWNGRADED :)

The Jackal
09-10-2006, 00:03
Whoooo HOOOOOoooooooooooo :)

Just downgraded my 10meg to 2meg and am happy for it.

Don't get me wrong I am a very *HEAVY* inet4 user with around 10Terrabytes to prove it... stuff that will prolly take the rest of my life to shift through. My best run was to max out 4meg down for a whole 2 months ! :)

Anyway why the downgrade ? I look at it this way : 384kbps -> 256kbps is not much of a loss.

Upstream is king not download (who gives a toss about 100meg down if u only have 1meg up ?) : saturate your upstream and you have no downstream no matter how big the downstream is. I remember a guy in Norway or was it Finland streaming a DVD rip over his 10meg up *AT HOME* I was awesmacked and had no response especially after teaching him how to broadcast video over the net. *doh*

Anyway having been with telewest with the best package they had to offer (think my first one was 512:td: 128:tu: ) I've been automatically upgraded with time but the upstream improvements have been on the lack lustre side of things - so I've always had to traffic shape my upstream. The quality of the service in the early days was very good but is somewhat erratic nowadays.

WHY O WHY O WHY cant we in the UK get decent upstream ? Oh yeh we need to be ripped off : As long as the punter sees a fast loading webpage what the heck eh ?

Had an interesting day 2day and went out to the library (for the first time in 10 years prolly lulled in by the free wifi hotspot sign and to get away from the plethora of network machines and destracting goodies at home). To my suprise when I got there with it being Sunday n all it was like laptop city with more laptops in there than a shop down tottenham crt road.

As expected the library wifi was saturated but I noticed some tw8t using a netphone which got me thinking.... Turns out he was on a different AP which I also connected to but the the bandwidth was a bit shakey suprise suprise, so I got into the router and kicked him orrrrffffffffff he soon packed up and left :)

Interestingly this new AP was connected to Bulldog once I kicked him off and the bandwidth was free I got some pretty good pings and fluidity 8meg:td: 500kbps:tu:

In all fairness I would like ADSL too but really NEED NNTP news server access too (to satisfy my download addiction) does anyone know of an ISP in the UK who proves this ? If so I can kiss Telewest goodbye and good riddence.

:angel: Peace :angel:

danielf
09-10-2006, 00:42
As expected the library wifi was saturated but I noticed some tw8t using a netphone which got me thinking.... Turns out he was on a different AP which I also connected to but the the bandwidth was a bit shakey suprise suprise, so I got into the router and kicked him orrrrffffffffff he soon packed up and left :)

Thanks for that little insight into your psyche. You'll be most popular here...

Graham M
09-10-2006, 00:48
Err... Yes.... welcome...

zing_deleted
09-10-2006, 00:49
least he seems an honest thugish type lol lol ,Russ's relation maybe??? (only jokin Russ:))

:welcome: to the forum anyway m8

Stuart
09-10-2006, 00:51
In all fairness I would like ADSL too but really NEED NNTP news server access too (to satisfy my download addiction) does anyone know of an ISP in the UK who proves this ? If so I can kiss Telewest goodbye and good riddence.

:angel: Peace :angel:

Being the l33t hax0r that you seem to be, I am surprised that you don't know that all ISPs offer NNTP access, and there are news providers that don't need a particular ISP.

:welcome: to CableForum BTW.

zing_deleted
09-10-2006, 00:52
Maybe they left the AP passwords default lol lol

The Jackal
09-10-2006, 01:33
Maybe they left the AP passwords default lol lol

True true true...

But they have a password now :)

Anyway most dont upgrade firmware and other backdoors can be found via SNMP.

Netgears are the worst ones - who the the hell wants to be emailed website visit logs - I guess only the intruder - pr0n pr0n pr0n exchange n mart pr0n autotrader pr0n pr0n pr0n ...... I got bored after the first few mails.

---------- Post added at 00:09 ---------- Previous post was at 00:07 ----------

Being the l33t hax0r that you seem to be, I am surprised that you don't know that all ISPs offer NNTP access, and there are news providers that don't need a particular ISP.

ISPs that have their own local NNTP server I dont wanna be paying for an external one :)

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:09 ----------

least he seems an honest thugish type lol lol ,Russ's relation maybe??? (only jokin Russ:))

:welcome: to the forum anyway m8

Hey were are my manners anyway : Thankyou all for the welcome : prolly wont be here too long (depends how much longer I'm with blueyawnder - I tried to escape be4 but got hunted down @ the parimeter) and thanks for putting up with my nit natter.

ps I'm not a script kiddie... LOL However I tried being a script kiddie for a night a few months back and it was fun wont bore u with the details but rest assured I did mail the server admins of the exploits and patches.

Stormz
10-10-2006, 06:40
10 terrabytes? LMAO! You must have alot of "****" :) I tell you, I haven't even got a terrabyte yet, havent got enough cash for the space atm, just upgraded my computer to a beast, well fast. Just in all of my stuff I know I have got alot of crap and need to delete them. If I deleted all the stuff I didn't need I would have 200gig free! I like to collect anime and quality movies/series but I always delete anything that isn't worth it.

I prefer 10MB over 4MB, it takes too long for me to download stuff when I want it on the spot. My friend had bulldog and his connection was crap... He changed to Be for the 24MB connection but I still get a faster connection then his even though he is supposed to have 24 meg! :( The same torrents he uses give me a faster speed. I checked his computer and put everything he needed but still his connect is slow so we have no choice but to stay with BY since they are reliable. Very rarely does BY's cable connection stop. Maybe 2 times this year I had problems which isnt so bad for a provider.

TheBlueRaja
10-10-2006, 09:21
Snippy...

Agreed - they shaft you - you shaft them... :tu:

The Jackal
10-10-2006, 10:18
10 terrabytes? LMAO! You must have alot of "****" :)

Indeed I have a lot of **** Was pruning it the other night hence the reason for downgrading.

I got my /Software-Win32-untested folder down to 70Gig now :)

Trouble is that when you really really need a bit of software when you're stuck with a problem like say a filesystem corruption etc you can never find what you need... You end up back on the net onto slow p2p or gawd forbid in urgent cases the credit card comes out.

The rest are movies DVD, divx etc and when will I get the time to watch em ? maybe when I'm 60 by which time they would have all been have re-encoded to a better faster format making my archive obsolite....

Whoever remembers the movies 'cams' from the 90's HELL they were crap and virtually unwatchable but we all loved 'em just so that we could watch a flick not released in the theatres....

HITS THE DELETE BUTTON.

My m8 has the correct policy : Download watch delete