PDA

View Full Version : Strange problem

nsb
07-10-2006, 12:53
For the last month or so I seem to be having a few strange issues with my ntl 10mb line. Firstly, sometimes when I'm browsing a page will just not appear, it will either go to the sites custom error page or a page not found, and all I need to do is refresh and it works. Also, on some pages, the styles will not load in, and again it takes a refresh. And also, there are sites that use form submissions that time out or error. Sites like imageshack, photobucket, filefront, Domino's Pizza :D, and any other place you can upload files. Forums, it mostly fails when signing in a couple of times before it finally works. It seems to happen in all browsers and even on the laptop downstairs, which is on my wireless network. Has anyone had a similar problem? Its starting to irritate and I'm not sure if its ntl related, my network card settings or my Dell Truemobile 2300 router.

Cobbydaler
07-10-2006, 13:45
Sounds like a DNS issue to me. What name servers are you using?

nsb
07-10-2006, 13:59
It is set to Obtain a DNS server address automatically

If thats where you mean :erm:

Cobbydaler
07-10-2006, 14:05
I'm not familiar with your router, but in it's configuration is there the option to enter manual IPs for the DNS servers?

If so try using 4.2.2.1 & 4.2.2.2

nsb
07-10-2006, 15:58
Could it be the Static Router area? Only section that seems able to accept manual IP's

Cobbydaler
07-10-2006, 16:17
No, more likely to be under DHCP settings.

If you can't do it there, set them in XP in your network connection TCP/IP properties...

Graham M
07-10-2006, 16:24
Just a question Cobby, but why state DNS servers based in New York? :)

Cobbydaler
07-10-2006, 16:28
Because my memory for numbers is atrocious & they're easy to remember!

Can't even remember my phone number... ;)

You can use any reliable ones of course...

nsb
07-10-2006, 18:00
I tried those numbers in the 2 dns slots, but still get an error when trying to use something like imageshack. Thanks for the replies though

Cobbydaler
07-10-2006, 18:12
Can you ping & traceroute the sites you're having problems with?

[Edit] by name & by IP address...

nsb
07-10-2006, 19:04
Yea I can ping and tracert the image upload sites like photobucket, imageshack, and can browse them fine, it just errors whenever I try to actually upload an image. ANd with any other sites, its just random...

nsb
08-10-2006, 09:52
A bit of an update - I installed the new Vista build to try out and havent had any issues yet, and am able to use sites like Imageshack, Photobucket fine. Had no missing styles or pages when browsing the net or anything.

So maybe it was XP related..?

Cobbydaler
08-10-2006, 10:06
Hmmm...

Very strange, maybe something had become corrupted? Are you dual booting or have you installed over the top?

If dual booting, do you still have the issue if you boot XP?