PDA

View Full Version : Mixed messages over servicable areas - advice please

dandoodles
04-10-2006, 11:47
Hi folks,

I have just moved to a knew flat on the first floor. One of the reasons I choose this place was because I checked to see if NTL could be installed on their website, and it could so I could transfer over all my existing services.

I had filled in the form online to change over next week, but i moved in this weekend, so last week spoke to a member of the moving team and double checked that NTL is available, which she confirmed.

So I was expecting an engineer yesterday morning and he never came. I called up NTL and asked what the deal was, they said that an engineer had been out at midday and had relayed to NTL that it wasn't serviceable. Never bothered contacting us to mention this.

I got really annoyed and explained that I really needed broadband, and that I generally enjoyed being with NTL.

To add insult to injury the guy offered me virgin bb at 17.99 pcm as their partner company.

I feel like ntl have been misleading. Is there anything I can do?

Dan

MovedGoalPosts
04-10-2006, 12:16
There can be problems with flats in that the cable co's and indeed any utiltity company, may not have the necessary permissions from the owners of the building (common parts etc) to route their cables into your flat. Thus whilst cables exist in the street, the flat itself cannot be served. ntl won't know that until they send someone to look.

But it is shoddy that ntl couldn't even be bothered to update you, when they realised there was a problem.

Chris
04-10-2006, 12:26
They haven't been misleading as such, just cr@p at communication, both between departments and with you. Not unheard of at NTL, sadly. If the flat is judged unserviceable by an install tech who actually visited it, then there seems little point arguing. If they won't do it, they won't do it.

The only thing you might try is to try to get a second opinion by insisting the regional install manager comes out to see it, on the basis that you have variously been told both that it can be done and that it can't, and so he is the best person to make a final judgement.

TBH though the best route is probably to ditch NTL at this point and take your pick from the various ADSL providers available. Virgin.net is pretty good, I've had it myself for about 2 years now, first with dialup and for the last 12 months on broadband. I'm not saying it's the best, just that it was the route of least hassle for me and it does what I need it to.

'Partner company' is understating it a little though, Virgin.net is NTL. They own it, and even before they owned it they ran it on Richard Branson's behalf.

dandoodles
04-10-2006, 12:40
There are only 6 flats in the building. My landlord owns two of them and I don't think there would be a problem and the management is done in house. Agreeing installation could be organised.

They really should say that only and engineer can determine whether they will install or not. I may try the regional manager route.

I have noticed that Sky has been installed on another flat in the property. I may go with them. otherise my girlfriend is really going to miss csi and grey's anatomy on livingtv!

LixeL
05-10-2006, 11:14
Dont worry, the new HOUSE (not flat) I moved to, was one one part of the NTL website covered by their cable network and another part of the moving house site it wasnt, the same postcode. Arzes and elbows springs to mind.

Mindless bunch of useless cretins who will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes also pops in there.

dandoodles
05-10-2006, 14:02
So did you manage to do anything about it?

LixeL
05-10-2006, 16:56
TV now using freeview (only had the basic NTL TV package)

Phone - BT phone line £11 pcm

Broadband - Free with Virgin Mobile on £15 pcm contract (300 mins, 300 texts, X network and free bband)

I think the confusion comes when some of the houses in the postcode are covered and some aren't, the cable boxes go along the main road at the end of our road and then stop. I checked with royal mail and the postcode can cover up to 80 properties. Maybe this explains your situation.

dandoodles
06-10-2006, 09:47
I used freeview's porscode checker and apparently I am not in a freeview area! I don't know whether to trust that information or not.

I looked outside last night and noticed that there are two CATV boxes in the pavement outside my block.

They should use more than just a postcode checker. They should have a proper list.

MikeyB
06-10-2006, 12:14
I used freeview's porscode checker and apparently I am not in a freeview area! I don't know whether to trust that information or not.

Yes, the Freeview postcode checker is no better, it says not available for both mine & my parents postcodes, but I know people in my street with Freeview, and my parents next door neighbours have it without any problems!

Chris
06-10-2006, 12:17
To be fair, Freeview and NTL are two very different beasts. Predicting where radio waves can be received is always going to be an inexact science, until we reach the day when we have a topographical map with every tree, building and other obstacle mapped on it to minute detail.

On the other hand, NTL darned well ought to know where its street cabinets and cables are.

LixeL
06-10-2006, 13:30
Totally agree with you Chris, freeview is only a prediction based upon radio waves which can be affected by many factors. A lot of our area is classed as freeview not available but it is. I think they are just covering their rears.

The NTL coverage, well the postcode checker is just that, but if you contact CS they should have a comprehensive list of all "servicable" addresses and if you're not on there then so be it.

dandoodles
13-10-2006, 08:19
I have an update to this saga.
Yesterday evening an nice man came round to collect my digi box and remote control. I asked him if he could help me understand why I couldn't get cable.
He explained that he used to do installations, I showed him the two digital boxes outside on the pavement. He said that there should be no problem installing ntl just that a box had not been attached to the building. He was a little suprised at the answer i got from ntl, but presumed that an engineer may have just breezed by without paying too much attention.
This is the most positive thing i have had out of ntl all week, i almost gave up the ghost of trying to get through to them. I can't seem to actually talk to an engineer, just a CS who can only read what is on the screen.
I am now going to pursue NTL more so. Maybe get my partner to chase them as a new customer if they don't listen to me?

ps: I know that freeview tv and cable are different beasts, I was just pointing out the paucity of information.

lostandconfused
13-10-2006, 15:08
have you contacted CS to see if you can have a site survey done?
that may get it sorted for you

dandoodles
13-10-2006, 16:43
What is the difference between a site survey and them coming round to have a look when they are meant to install?

I spoke to a CS who said that the only way I could get someone out was to sign up again through sales.

So I am now trying that route.

lostandconfused
13-10-2006, 16:53
sorry i got the wrong end of the stick there, if youve already had an install get CS to raise a complaints tracker, it will go the installs manager, you may end up with the same result but at least you will be able to talk to someone who knows a lot about installs and someone from your area too, you may get more answeres that way?

Red Robin
16-10-2006, 10:54
Sorry to have taken so long to offer help, but if you have still not resolved the issue, then I may be able to assist.

I think I already know about this..... I'm guessing your in Derby? If so, let me know. I'd like to help and have been involved in planning the services to this block of flats if I have guessed the location right.

I'm sure one of the mods will verify I work for ntl.

If you want some assistance, let me know.

Chris
16-10-2006, 11:53
Sorry to have taken so long to offer help, but if you have still not resolved the issue, then I may be able to assist.

I think I already know about this..... I'm guessing your in Derby? If so, let me know. I'd like to help and have been involved in planning the services to this block of flats if I have guessed the location right.

I'm sure one of the mods will verify I work for ntl.

If you want some assistance, let me know.

I'm happy to verify that Red is an NTL employee.

Slyder
16-10-2006, 19:55
I'm happy to verify that Red is an NTL employee.

Then stop being stingy and give him a CF logo for his avatar.. :D

Red Robin
18-10-2006, 08:19
Then stop being stingy and give him a CF logo for his avatar.. :D

HER, actually!!! ;) :D

dandoodles
18-10-2006, 11:25
No I don't live in Derby. I live in Leamington.

I was supposed to get NTL installed today. I received a text message yesterday saying "great news, ntl will be installed tomorrow etc etc" I receieved a voicemail message 30 mins later saying it won't be installed, an engineer had been out and said that is not possible.

Called the moving and installation team, they were going to get back to me, still haven't. I can't actually speak to anyone other than a CS. I am writing my final email to them, but I am afraid I may have to go find my services elsewhere, because I can't do this anymore.

Red Robin
18-10-2006, 11:40
Dan

Sorry you are being messed about. Sounds just like a scenario I was sorting in Derby which was why I thought it was one in the same issue. I don't cover leamington, but I do know some people who do.

Do you have the name of the person who you spoke to this morning?

dandoodles
18-10-2006, 12:20
It was yesterday afternoon. No I don't know who it was, a woman. Message was left by a guy.

Red Robin
18-10-2006, 14:33
Dan
I'm trying to get hold of the installations Manager for your area, but tracking down who it is is rather hard. Can you PM me your details, and I'll do my best to get it sorted..... but I've only got 2 hours then I'm not in the office again till Tuesday.

Lets see what we can do in that time!!

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Dan

I have an installs Manager for your area ready to help you. I've just spoken to him on the phone.

I need from you some details by PM..... your name, your add, your account number (if you have it) and a contact number and if you have one, email add, where this person can get back to you.

I'm just hoping you get this in time because as I said I finish at 4, then won't get access to internal systems again till next Tues.

Fingers crossed.....

dandoodles
18-10-2006, 14:34
i have pmed you

many thanks

Red Robin
18-10-2006, 14:54
Right - I've emailed all the details off and lets hope he calls you when he gets back to the office (soon, I hope).

Are there any Mods on who I should PM the details of who's sorting this to, so that if nothing happens and I'm away they can chase? Obv. can't post details in the forum. Just a thought, hopefully not needed.

dandoodles
18-10-2006, 15:05
I will say if I don't get called this afternoon.

Thanks for the help so far.

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2006, 16:14
Well done Red Robin - you can send details if you'd like, although our routes of escalations take a rather different path if wer were to get involved.

dandoodles
19-10-2006, 09:20
hey folks

I received a call from a service manager who is sending out an engineer today. He explained to me that he thought reason it is not serviceable is because the grass verge is council owned - which is not true. The only to get the cable from the box in the pavement to the building is to dig up the garden of the lady who owns the ground floor flat - very tricky lots and lots of plants and landscaping.

OR, take up the slabs along the footpath. I am not sure if everyone will consent to this. They may worry about the disruption or broken slabs or not being put back properly.

The lady in the ground floor flat is happy to have the t box thing attached to the side of her house if needs be though.

I now have the service managers number now. I have to say it is sad that the only way I have managed to get anyone to talk to me that knows what they are talking about has been through posting this forum. But I am very appreciative of the help i have received here.