PDA

View Full Version : Any way to get a new IP address?

Schnitzel
03-10-2006, 21:23
Hello all, just a quickie.

Been with Blueyonder 10mb for a few months - couldn't be happier.
For reasons I don't really need to go into here, I'd like to get a different IP address (which has been the same since I got the service installed). Have powered off the equipment for a few hours and back on several times but I still end up with the same IP.

Is it possible to get a new one?
Thank you. :)

deathtrap3000
03-10-2006, 21:50
A few hours isnt long enough. You need to leave it for at least a day. There is no other way to change it unless your isp does it (i think).

Schnitzel
03-10-2006, 22:09
Hi - thanks for your reply.

Guess I'll have to keep the same IP then, don't think I could get away with leaving it off for a few days.

Cheers all the same.

SnoopZ
03-10-2006, 22:39
Hi - thanks for your reply.

Guess I'll have to keep the same IP then, don't think I could get away with leaving it off for a few days.

Cheers all the same.

I manage to change mine on NTL by releasing my IP then unplugging my modem from the mains for about 12hrs. When i've powered it all back up again i've received a new IP. This method has worked everytime i've tried it (3 times).

Here's How:

Click the Start menu button on the Windows taskbar.

Click Run... on this menu.

If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'cmd' (without the quotes) in the text box that appears. A command prompt window appears on the screen.

Type 'ipconfig' (without the quotes) to view the status of the computer's IP address(es).

If the computer is holding a current IP address, type 'ipconfig /release' to let go of the address.

You can also get a new IP by changing the ethernet card.

v0id
03-10-2006, 22:44
poweroff the modem and the computer, and change your network adapter MAY result in a new IP address (or you could just get your old IP back again depending on how your area is subscribed )

dilli-theclaw
03-10-2006, 22:49
You can also get a new IP by changing the ethernet card.MMMmmm could he do this by installing the modem using usb drivers then switching back to the network card?

SnoopZ
03-10-2006, 22:51
MMMmmm could he do this by installing the modem using usb drivers then switching back to the network card?

I believe he will get a new IP if he switches to USB, but think he will get his old IP back when he switches to ethernet, unless it's a different ethernet card.

dilli-theclaw
03-10-2006, 22:53
I believe he will get a new IP if he switches to USB, but think he will get his old IP back when he switches to ethernet, unless it's a different ethernet card.Ah well guess not then - worth a shot - glad someone knows what they are doing ;) :)

SnoopZ
03-10-2006, 22:55
Ah well guess not then - worth a shot - glad someone knows what they are doing ;) :)

I didn't say i knew what i was doing. ;)

opelfruitcase
03-10-2006, 23:04
A few hours isnt long enough. You need to leave it for a few days. There is no other way to change it unless ntl do it (i think).

I know NTL's dhcp least will to start with last for an hour before renewal initially, and with every subsequent renewal the lease time is increased, up to a maximum of 12 hours (i.e. for those who's cable modems are left on). The way to shorten the lease time back to an hour is a manually release (in windows 'ipconfig /release "Local Area Connection" or whatever). Thus if you do this and leave the cable modem off for a little while then upon gaining a new lease from the dhcp server your assigned a new ip. I may not have worded this spot on, but the general gist is correct, and while I can't confirm for definite its the same with Telewest I'm sure they at least have something similar to this, although googling reveals nothing.

HTH

Benson
04-10-2006, 12:53
Releasing your ip only works for NTL users i have had this out with telewest in the past and there is only 1 way of issuing you a new ip address and that is to unplug you modem from the power and your pc for a whole 24hrs.

Sadly this is the only way so i guess i depends on how badly you want to change that ip if you are will to go a day net free.;)

Markos1977
06-10-2006, 08:33
u can change it to usb and creat a new connection and then change back to ethernet card and then creat a new connection but if it dont work trie it a cupple of times cose thats all i do or just put 2 ethernet cards in ur pc and wen wonting to change ips just swop them overe

Daleus
08-10-2006, 15:06
Hey everyone, just registered to post this message (but will hopefully be hanging around, I like it here so far!)

If I want to change my BY IP address I just go onto my router, and find its WAN IP, and make something up (literally, make up a MAC address) and then restart router and modem, and I have new IP, if I ever want my default IP back, I just reset it to default!

Hope this helps someone

JohnHorb
08-10-2006, 16:09
Hey everyone, just registered to post this message (but will hopefully be hanging around, I like it here so far!)

If I want to change my BY IP address I just go onto my router, and find its WAN IP, and make something up (literally, make up a MAC address) and then restart router and modem, and I have new IP, if I ever want my default IP back, I just reset it to default!

Hope this helps someone
Helpful post :tu: , but I think it is the router's MAC address you change, not the WAN IP:shrug:
...and if you don't have a router, changing the PC's ethernet card MAC address has the same effect.

Daleus
08-10-2006, 22:32
Helpful post :tu: , but I think it is the router's MAC address you change, not the WAN IP:shrug:
...and if you don't have a router, changing the PC's ethernet card MAC address has the same effect.

Correct, the Routers WAN port is the mac address you change (WAN is the port on the router that connects to the outside world, or in our case, the modem)

janipewter
08-10-2006, 22:39
I've changed IP many a time by changing my routers MAC address :)

BBKing
14-10-2006, 10:33
Changing the MAC is probably the best way - if you leave it a week or so and then change it back you may well be back to where you started but with a new IP.