PDA

View Full Version : Outage in the Guildford Area

TIM731
29-09-2006, 11:39
Does anyone know wants going on here (been down since 21:45 yesterday)

1.Tried phoning the unhelpful desk,(got the boot modem,pc,rest of scipt)
2.Can get from outside the network to my ubr
3.Can get passed the modem (no network in between)

Message last night theres an outage (No S***)

Phoned this morning helpdesk unaware of any problems, after 20 mins on the phone they confirmed that there is a problem and should be fixed in 5 hours

Just phoned for an update (can I reboot,the modem,PC,) why a fluke omniview tells me the problem is on the main cable from the box at the end of the street back to UBR2 (But it will be repaired in 5 hours)

question

1.Is 5 hours point 5 on the list of stupid things to say to the customer.

2.Why isnt this on the NTL status page as well, while waiting for your call to broaband support it states check the web page and status page, and your phoning broadband helpdesk support to say have a nice day not. your calling because it doesnt work.

Just had to have a rant

KevAmiga
29-09-2006, 11:55
To note, in the future call 0800 052 4315 - Service Status Line :)

TIM731
02-10-2006, 08:01
Ahh the status line, would this be the seem status line that states,

We dont have a problem all is well with NTL and yet still no broadband in and around the area.

I know why dont I look on the NTL status website as the telephone message on the broadband support page points you to.

Oh look there are no problem with the NTL network at this time apart from the 1500 people in and around Guildford who have

1.Little or no broadband
2.No inter active TV
3.No way of finding out as you have to go throught the support line where

1.Have you rebooted the modem
2.Have you rebooted the PC
3.What the mac address of the modem
4.etc,etc

Any thing to keep you on the line earning NTL money as the NTL phone doesnt work either but there working on it

I bet my bill at the end of the month doesnt show a money off for a non funtioning service

I used to laugh when people said they had bad service from NTL because up to last Thursday in 10 years I hadnt had any problems.

Sat Morning

phoned the support line and went through the PC,Modem,etc, even though I stated I was calling for an update on the problems from Thursday eveing after 25 mins was told there may be a problem in the area should be fixed in 24 hours.

Mon Morning

Still isnt working

monkey2468
02-10-2006, 09:06
There are 2 outages in guilford, 1 in GU21 and 1 in GU16. If you are in either of these areas they will be fixed this morning.

Boots
02-10-2006, 11:50
I'm not affected (GU14) but my brother is (GU16). He phoned yesterday and got a polite Indian lady telling him the problem was fixed. Not so, nor is it fixed as of a few minutes ago when I spoke to him.

What puzzles me is shouldn't this show on the status report site http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ because it doesn't?

Alex

TIM731
02-10-2006, 13:12
Should be fixed this morning well at 13:09 I still cant login into my house from work but will give them the benefit of the doubt will need to

1.Reboot the modem
2.Reboot the PC
3.Reboot the firewall
4.Reboot the eletric supply to the house

At the very least

TIM731
03-10-2006, 10:28
Up Tuesday still not working,still nothing on the NTL status page or status line

monkey2468
03-10-2006, 12:05
Up Tuesday still not working,still nothing on the NTL status page or status line

PM me your full postcode and I will tell you if you are part of an area fault. :)

Boots
03-10-2006, 14:50
Hi monkey2468

Can I tag onto your last post on behalf of my brother. He's still being told there is no fault and he has cancelled a service call because, having spoken to a neighbour, also on NTL, the neighbour has exactly the same symptoms.

Also worth noting: although he's on a separate broadband modem, a light on his TV Digibox is flashing. Ditto the neighbour.

My brother's post code is GU16 6DG.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

monkey2468
03-10-2006, 15:49
Hi monkey2468

Can I tag onto your last post on behalf of my brother. He's still being told there is no fault and he has cancelled a service call because, having spoken to a neighbour, also on NTL, the neighbour has exactly the same symptoms.

Also worth noting: although he's on a separate broadband modem, a light on his TV Digibox is flashing. Ditto the neighbour.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Alex
Also part of the same network issue. It is cable damage mostly affecting Ambleside Close and another road. Most has been fixed but two cabs are still off and are being fixed as we type. A service call would be pointless until the network fault is fixed.

Boots
03-10-2006, 17:29
Also part of the same network issue. It is cable damage mostly affecting Ambleside Close and another road. Most has been fixed but two cabs are still off and are being fixed as we type. A service call would be pointless until the network fault is fixed.

Thanks. Just the sort of definitive reply that was needed. You're a scholar and a gentleman.

Alex

TIM731
04-10-2006, 08:00
Wednesday update,

Got home and saw a posse of NTL vans around the cabinet at our end of the road and was very hopeful within 11 minutes of being in doors this evaporated as the TV disappeared and at 07:00hrs this morning as I left for work I have

1. No TV
2. Intermintant phone
3. No broadband

This is day 6 my neighbour who is retired has had no TV for 3 days, if this problem is this local then you would think that a customer rep from NTL would go round and knock on doors or put a leaflet through to update people as its only 13 miles from the main office.

At this end of the street using a normal TV Ariel you can only get channel 5 so most houses have NTL to be able to watch TV, so this morning it looks like I will have to order ADSL and cut back the NTL cable modem speed from 10mb to the lowest speed as 6 days without internet just isn’t acceptable.

I have a question for any NTL tech reading this if I had a 2mb leased line would it have travelled over the same backbone (so wouldn’t have been working for 6 days as well) as up to this week I was considering using NTL to provide it.

TIM731
05-10-2006, 08:51
Thursday update,

Got home still no NTL service at all, called into the help desk who told me it was fixed at 16:30 (time of this call 17:13) so could I reboot

1.The modem
2.The PC

At this point I put the phone down and called into the TV helpdesk who arranged for an tech to come out(called me back within 3 mins as loads of people had phoned in ) so tech cancelled and work team come out.

The gang pulled new cable from the main loop back to the cabinet at the end of the street and by 21:00 we had

1.Phone
2.TV and interactive working

Still no broadband so I rebooted the modem and PC and then phoned tech support, nice indian man explained that it was being worked on and would be fixed by 01:00hrs (I forgot to ask on which day) so this morning rebooted the modem excepting it to work and its still not working but ADSL goes live tomorrow so I might as well cancell the cable modem package as I dont see this being fixed anytime soon and its only going to get worse when they build 24 new houses round the corner which will run off the same cabinet.

Boots
05-10-2006, 10:48
Thursday update but later.

TIM731 - I reckon you must live around Mytchett too. Just phoned my brother (see original post 02-10-2006, 11:50) and it's the same with him. He's going to look out for you this evening as you both pace the streets looking for NTL techs :)

What's worrying is these off-shore call centres. They don't seem to have a clue about what's going on. The call centre lady has now booked a call out for a neighbour with an identical problem, insisting that it's a house equipment fault and that all aspects of the local network are 100%

TIM731
05-10-2006, 13:55
The crew last night ran new cable from community centre box up to the one on the corner of my road and to the one on your brothers road, I have just had a call to tell me its fixed and I can ping the ip but cannot get the vpn to come up so the equipment must need a reboot.

But at least I could watch TV last night and now have a working phone(BT)

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

The laughable thing about this is my first post I said that the fault was in the cable going from the cabinet at the end of the road to my UBR.

Boots
07-10-2006, 15:18
Broadband still off.

There's 12 people out in the same Close that we know of. Identical faults - no broadband, light on STB flashing. India call centre still insisting there's no (area) fault. So a couple of those affected have been forced to allow a tech call to be booked in order to convince India.

Now day 9 with no broadband. Both my brother and I have technical backgrounds and appreciate more than many that awkward faults can happen and do. But keeping the customer informed would go a long way to alleviate hostility.

All in all, a rather poor show. The sooner these call centres are brought back on shore, the better.

Alex

TIM731
08-10-2006, 11:44
Update

Friday

Waited in all day for the engineer who got to site at 17.45) on site 7 mins after confirming its a network fault at the local cabinet, he phoned the network guy who knows the problem is in the local cabinet and is going to fix it Friday evening or Sat morn

Saturday

I can see the cabinet from my house and at no time on sat did an NTL van or team appear so still no broadband or interactive TV at it needs an IP address to work and cannot get an upstream signal

Sunday

Called support and there are sending a broadband support engineer Monday PM (WHY (the fault isn’t in my house)

So day 11 without Broadband cannot get an answer from NTL when is going to be fixed

The ADSL is now working hence being able to type this I have the local paper coming round tomorrow to take notes and listen to the calls

I made a log of who,what,where,when and why and have even started recording the calls after I was told the first time it was fixed so I have on disk 3 people telling me its working when its clearly not.

Hopefully the local free paper which goes to every house in this area will put it on the front page so anyone thinking of using NTL will think twice.

Also left a message with watchdog (hope they come back) then it can go National and everyone can see how bad the NTL fault/fix is

This is how I see Monday going, engineer turns up and tells me it’s a network fault and still nothing

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 ----------

Also

fault at my 3 neighbours so cannot be my modem

darkone338
08-10-2006, 18:02
Hi monkey2468

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

I live 2 streets from that post code.. Have not had a problem with broadband what so ever.. not helpful to you i know, but if there is a network fault, it certainly isnt a wide spread one.

TIM731
09-10-2006, 07:49
Hello Darkone338,

Unless you link back to the cabinet at the junction of Salisbury Grove and Mytchett place Rd all is ok, if you’re on the cabinet your stuffed.

What I cant understand is 2 of my neighbours and myself have had an engineer out to site and all have stated its a fault with the cabinet but still the helpdesk team in India want to send someone to my house so my wife has to tale a half day today (this isn’t going to fix the problem) as its not

1. The modem (as interactive not working both need an ip address)
2. The cable from my house as this was tested Friday by the TV tech who reported the fault the NTL network (read through blog and you can see it’s affecting at least 15 houses.
3. Recycling power through the modem isn’t going to make it work and the ready light is flashing and the error log inside the modem states timing and sync issue (No upstream/downstream signal)

TIM731
09-10-2006, 14:14
Update Monday PM,

NTL vans appear at the end of the road at 13:30hrs and the helpdesk think it will be fixed by 15:30 (we will see)

TIM731
09-10-2006, 17:53
Monday PM update,

Broadband is back, still no interactive TV