PDA

View Full Version : changing phone number

dgr1577
15-08-2005, 13:49
Hi
I recently moved home and moved my NTL services as well(phone, tv and bb). I couldnt keep my existing phone number because although I was still in the same city I had moved into a different zone(at least, thats what the engineer told me). It was a slight hassle having to get a new number but there was nothing I could do.
Anyway, the problem is that the number that they gave me obviously belonged to someone else beforehand and I am being constantly plagued with phone calls for this person and most of them are from debt recovery agencies and credit agencies and I also get phone calls during the night where they hang up when I answer. I try to explain to them(the ones that speak anyway) that the person they are looking for doesnt live at my address and I have simply been given their number when I moved in. Obviously thinking that I am lying they simply keep phoning back using different people each time.
Before I go through the drudgery that is NTL CS phone queue can anyone tell me if it is possible to change your number? does it cost anything?

thanks

SMHarman
15-08-2005, 15:10
As these can only be described as nusiance calls then on BT a new number is fairly easy to obtain. NTL:?

GazzaB
15-08-2005, 16:23
The phone number should have been out of use for at least 6 months before it can be given to someone else, if it's a big problem ntl are normally reasonable and let you change it at no charge if you state how frequent or bad the calls have got. Otherwise there is a £10 charge I think?

atlantis
20-08-2005, 21:31
I had same problem.
If you're on NTL, ring customer services: 0800-052-2000, explain about the calls, and they should change it for free (they did for me) One of the CS guys said normally there is a £25 charge, but under the circumstances, they would do it for free, which they did, but it takes about 5 days to do.

Angua
20-08-2005, 22:28
Very strange, I actually changed towns & kept the same NTL number. Also try the TPS if they won't change your number.

quadplay
20-08-2005, 22:32
TPS won't be able to stop calls from debt collection agencies as they are not marketing calls. As others have said, ring Customer Services on 0800 052 2000 (Option 5) and they should be able to get your number changed.