PDA

View Full Version : Ntl 250 Can Ping But Cant Browse???

dgo
13-08-2005, 12:34
Yesterday an ntl engineer bought me round a new ntl250 modem. as my old tereyon tj210 was havin wierd conflicts with ethernet. (didconnecting, intermittent)
Anyway, the guy just plugged the modem in and check i was getting a syc and ready light.
he said it was fine and it would work much better with ethernet.

anyways i i plugged the modem in via ethernet.
i went through all the basics. the computer said connected at 10mbs. and even the little windows update popped up 2 say my computer was upgrading

but wen i try to connect to the internet. nothing. it just sais connecting to then goes to that "page could not be found"

the funny thing is. evrthing looks as if its working. i am even able to ping websites and get a response. my ip is assighed by dhcp
everything appears how it should.

the ntl CS didnt know wot to say. they registed my new modem mac adress, and said try connection 2mrw. ive left it 24 hours and no joy

Luckilly i kept my old modem and im able to connect using usb.

ive checked nothing is is ticked underconnections/lan setting
ive tried changing the duplex

all just give the same results

able to ping, the computer sends and recieves packets
but no browsin, email msn etc

i have remove sygate firewall and avg antivirus

some 1 pls help me there must be some setting on my pc.....
thx

Matthew
13-08-2005, 12:35
Try turning off any firewalls you have running.

Raistlin
13-08-2005, 12:36
Try turning off any firewalls you have running.

i have remove sygate firewall and avg antivirus

dgo
13-08-2005, 12:41
Yer Believe My Guys Ive Done All The Basics

Firewalls Antivirus Etc

maverick
13-08-2005, 12:55
What ip address are you getting with the new modem ?

If it ends in 248 to 255 then its a temp ip,let us know what it is.

If it is a temp ip and your old modem still works then tech support have not swapped over the modems on your account,give them a call to get this done.

Chrysalis
13-08-2005, 16:11
I think its having trouble registering for an ip address, I had the problem when I switched from usb to ethernet, but I cant remember how I solved it.

patrickp
13-08-2005, 16:36
You've tried the obvious, dgo - turn everything off; leave for 30 seconds, switch the modem on, wait 'till it settles and syncs, then boot your PC?

dgo
14-08-2005, 11:35
What ip address are you getting with the new modem ?

If it ends in 248 to 255 then its a temp ip,let us know what it is.

If it is a temp ip and your old modem still works then tech support have not swapped over the modems on your account,give them a call to get this done.

my ip ends 248

i had spoken to the tech support the day i got the modem. he took the mac address of it and put it on my account, then somehow he managed 2 reset my modem from his end. so does that mean they registerd it?

maverick
14-08-2005, 11:47
my ip ends 248

i had spoken to the tech support the day i got the modem. he took the mac address of it and put it on my account, then somehow he managed 2 reset my modem from his end. so does that mean they registerd it?

If your new modem is getting an ip ending 248 and your old modem still works then your modems have not been swapped properly on your account.

You can call them today on 0845 650 0121/0925 to get them to do this.

dgo
14-08-2005, 12:07
thanks i will give em a try 2day

there a useless bunch:o:

jaycee
14-08-2005, 12:24
I've had this in the past. If the engineer did not ring his mobile and request a "modem swap" then he has not done his job correctly and your modem is not registered on the NTL network, which means it will only get a temporary IP until it is. The only thing that will work is autoreg.autoregister.net

dgo
14-08-2005, 12:40
waaaahhhhoooo

just spoke 2 the tech support and for the 1st time the guy was helpfull

he registerd my modem correctly unlike the last guy who did it incorrecttly

and as for the ntl engineer. he just told me 2 plug the modem in and im away. fool

anyways thx alot guys for ur imput

case closed!!!

---------------------------------------------