PDA

View Full Version : New Sky+ digiboxes now being installed

ian@huth
13-08-2005, 00:58
Sky have started installing new version 3 Sky+ boxes. These are manufactured by Pace, Amstrad and Thompson and have two 80Gb Hard drives. One of these is for customer use giving it twice the recording time that previous standard Sky+ boxes have.
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=265185

TheBlueRaja
13-08-2005, 11:28
I was under the impression that it was ONE 80 gig hard drive.. or possibly (though very much unconfirmed) a 160Gb hard disk partitioned into two - one for PVR use and one for Sky to use (as in the company) which would not be available to the end users.

Graham
13-08-2005, 15:08
a 160Gb hard disk partitioned into two - one for PVR use and one for Sky to use (as in the company) which would not be available to the end users.

So what's the other 80Gb for??

Or is it like the (I think) Tivo boxes that would allow the company to "suggest" stuff for you to watch and force your box to record?

KingPhoenix
14-08-2005, 22:41
Or maybe you will now be able to ring sky up and buy more storage space on the fly etc..???

ian@huth
14-08-2005, 23:53
I was under the impression that it was ONE 80 gig hard drive.. or possibly (though very much unconfirmed) a 160Gb hard disk partitioned into two - one for PVR use and one for Sky to use (as in the company) which would not be available to the end users.Apparantly now that someone has opened one up they have found it is one big drive that has been partitioned to give the user 80Gb and the rest is for Sky use. The only thing I have heard about "Sky use" is that it includes some use for interactive applications, whatever that means. Some users have already replaced the HD with a larger one and found that whatever size they install 80Gb is reserved for Sky use.