PDA

View Full Version : London broadband

selwood
12-08-2005, 21:16
Yesterday I got a call from NTL offering cable broadband, though when I use the postcode checker I'm still getting:
We're sorry but broadband is not available in your area.

Having been waiting for years (I'm in W3 - ex Videotron), I naturally said yes especially as it's £8.50 per month (as I already have TV and phone). After waiting so long - is this a hoax call!

Assuming I do get connected, how does the connection actually work - does it plug into the Pace box? Is it worth getting a cable router before the engineer comes?

Roy MM
12-08-2005, 21:17
:welcome: to cableforum, could it have been NTL freedom they were offering?

Ignition
12-08-2005, 21:19
Erm nah they aren't going to offer freedom to someone with an ntl phone ;)

Probably the post code checker hasn't been updated yet and the area has only just been readied.

Connection can go into the Pace set top or a cable modem could be provided, no need to get a cable router.

zaid786
12-08-2005, 22:30
the checker on ntl's website hasnt been updated for a long time so its pointless checking on there. if u got a call from ntl then they must hav it availabe for you, same thing with my sis, she has ntl broadband but it doesnt appear on the website and she has had it for a long time now.

patrickp
13-08-2005, 00:31
When we finally got ntl broadband in this area (Lewisham & Greenwich), it was a long time before the postcode checker actually showed it.

If you want to use more than one computer on your connection, then, yes, a router is definitely the best way to do this. If not, the only advantage, really, it gives you is the NAT firewall most routers have.

Patrick

selwood
13-08-2005, 07:42
Thanks for your replies. I want the router as a firewall, and to network up to 3 PCs