PDA

View Full Version : Damned technology!

Maggy
11-10-2003, 15:19
At present I'm severely p*ssed with Vodaphone.I've been trying to top up online but can't get it done 'cos my card is "probably expired"which of course it is not.

I've been phoning and phoning to try and sort it out but no one ever answers.Bah! Humbug!

Reminds me of another telco provider I can't quite remember ;)

Anyway does anyone else use the top up online by CC?And are you having problems too?
All I want to do is actually give them some custom.

Incog. :(

MadGamer
12-10-2003, 11:30
Well vodafone aren't the sharpest tool in the box if you get my meaning.

Maggy
14-10-2003, 09:28
%$%&^&^&^&&&^^%%$£à ƒÆ’ƒâ€šÃ‚£"$£"$ DAMN VODAPHONE!!!

I finally got through to the $%*)! and they say because their system says my DD card is expired I have to to my bank and find out why.Funny thing is that every other site accepts my card just fine as do all the ATM's and shops round here. So it's not my DD card that's expired it's their ^%%^%&^ system that's expired.
Well now I have to go find the old fashioned &$T%& vouchers and work from there.If they can't accept my card why do I have to use Vodaphone?

Think I'll try again later and get a supervisor.
I would hate to go back to Orange as the connection around here is so poor.

:2up:

Incog.

Scarlett
14-10-2003, 10:11
At present I'm severely p*ssed with Vodaphone.I've been trying to top up online but can't get it done 'cos my card is "probably expired"which of course it is not.

I've been phoning and phoning to try and sort it out but no one ever answers.Bah! Humbug!

Reminds me of another telco provider I can't quite remember ;)

Anyway does anyone else use the top up online by CC?And are you having problems too?
All I want to do is actually give them some custom.

Incog. :(

I also have problems with CC companies. My computer has been dead for 2 weeks and I haven't been able to make any online payments. Now I can make payments over the phone to my CC companoies UNTIL I'm in there bad books for non payment! They just won't accept it. If you add that last time I even tried to contact them they didn't answer the phone for 15 minutes then hung up on me. Again I only want to pay my bill but hang on, if I can't pay my bill then they get to charge me again !:2up: :2up: :2up:

BTW I don't have a cheque book before people ask.

ian@huth
14-10-2003, 10:34
I sometimes have problems using my Bank of Scotland Switch card online. The problem is that BOS don't use an issue number and invariably the online site insists that you enter one when using switch and woin't proceed until you do

Dooby
14-10-2003, 11:00
out of interest, what YEAR does the card expire? it could be that vodafone have used a crap workaround to the y2k that meant they used a 'window' ( ie anything < 10 is 2000+ ( ie. 05 is 2005 ) and anything greater is deemed to be 1900+ ( so 15 would be 1915 ) it was an accepted way to solve the problem, but it is SUPPOSED to be a window of about 30 years, but maybe they screwed up...
of course if they ask you to enter the year as 4 digits then it is unlikely to be the problem, but it may still be happening further down the line

Maggy
14-10-2003, 11:12
out of interest, what YEAR does the card expire? it could be that vodafone have used a crap workaround to the y2k that meant they used a 'window' ( ie anything < 10 is 2000+ ( ie. 05 is 2005 ) and anything greater is deemed to be 1900+ ( so 15 would be 1915 ) it was an accepted way to solve the problem, but it is SUPPOSED to be a window of about 30 years, but maybe they screwed up...
of course if they ask you to enter the year as 4 digits then it is unlikely to be the problem, but it may still be happening further down the line

06/2006.I only got it in June. I type it in as 06/06 :rolleyes:

Anyway I tried to change my card details online and it wouldn't let me.Then I tried to send the site a message then,and after I tried to send it the site gave me an error message that it couln't be sent at that time.I tried again and the message got sent.Seems that the site is rather buggy to me.

Damn! I now have to go find somewhere locally I can top up using my e card.Bet that I can use my so called 'expired' card then.I really liked being able to do it online.

Incog.

Maggy
14-10-2003, 11:16
I sometimes have problems using my Bank of Scotland Switch card online. The problem is that BOS don't use an issue number and invariably the online site insists that you enter one when using switch and woin't proceed until you do

Well that did occur to me as well(mine doesn't have an issue number either) but it was working just fine until two weeks ago so I don't think that's the reason.I reckon their database is just pooched.

Incog having just purchased a book from Amazon using said card.Go figure. :)

Maggy
14-10-2003, 20:12
Can anyone tell me if there is an equivilant Vodafone hell forum anywhere?

Incog.

Maggy
16-10-2003, 13:43
Well I thought I'd bump this up again as I'd really like to try and get some help for this.There must be a disaffected Vodafone customers forum somewhere.I haven't found one though.

BTW I managed to use my e-swipe top up card and yes the so called expired card to pay for it.Go figure.

Incog. :)

altis
16-10-2003, 14:06
Recently, I tried to book a ferry trip online using a credit card. It failed so I emailed the Steam Packet Company and they tried manually several times and failed. (BTW. brownie points to them 'cos this was before 7 in the morning). They said I'd have to ring my bank. I tried but got 'the department you require doesn't open 'til 8:30' - grrr. I phoned again later and asked what was going on, I was told that my account had been put on security hold 'cos of two recent american web-based transactions. The rep apologised and took the hold off. Mind you, she didn't confirm with me that they were legitimate transactions so, really, it achieved nothing. And peeps wonder why I'm losing patience with First Direct.

My phone is on Virgin. Now what a completely different experience. They are totally up-front about the deal and everything just works - I hardly ever call their customer services. I'm on the PAYG service but pay by DD so I get PAYG rates, an itemised bill every month (that I use it!), can use it abroad and never worry about it. I'd recommend them to anyone.

trebor
16-10-2003, 14:18
Can anyone tell me if there is an equivilant Vodafone hell forum anywhere?

Incog.

I don't know what you want from a forum incog but does this help

http://www.howardforums.com/
if not just do a google for mobile phone forum and take your pick

or this one
http://www.cellular-news.com/forum/
from a google for vodafone mobile phone forum

Maggy
16-10-2003, 14:39
Recently, I tried to book a ferry trip online using a credit card. It failed so I emailed the Steam Packet Company and they tried manually several times and failed. (BTW. brownie points to them 'cos this was before 7 in the morning). They said I'd have to ring my bank. I tried but got 'the department you require doesn't open 'til 8:30' - grrr. I phoned again later and asked what was going on, I was told that my account had been put on security hold 'cos of two recent american web-based transactions. The rep apologised and took the hold off. Mind you, she didn't confirm with me that they were legitimate transactions so, really, it achieved nothing. And peeps wonder why I'm losing patience with First Direct.

My phone is on Virgin. Now what a completely different experience. They are totally up-front about the deal and everything just works - I hardly ever call their customer services. I'm on the PAYG service but pay by DD so I get PAYG rates, an itemised bill every month (that I use it!), can use it abroad and never worry about it. I'd recommend them to anyone.

You can RING your bank direct? I tried that and had absolutely no luck.Barclays would rather their customers would get lost it seems to me.They won't even give me an overdraft on my individual household account but are more than willing to give my spendthrift husband an overdraft. :2up:

Incog.

basa
16-10-2003, 14:48

Ooooh...I like the sound of that !!!!

I just bought a s/h phone (Hi Russ ;) ) on Virgin payg !! :smokin:

Scarlett
16-10-2003, 15:24
You can RING your bank direct? I tried that and had absolutely no luck.Barclays would rather their customers would get lost it seems to me.They won't even give me an overdraft on my individual household account but are more than willing to give my spendthrift husband an overdraft. :2up:

Incog.

This goes a little way to explaining why I just left them, tried paying money in to clear a loan, only to be told that a casher's cheque takes 5 WORKING DAYS to clear! excuse me I understood that they are as good as cash cos you can only get them if you have the funds in your account to clear it.

Go to Nationwide, they did me and my other half fine, we have a joint and 2 individual accounts.

Scarlett

SMHarman
16-10-2003, 16:21
Ooooh...I like the sound of that !!!!

I just bought a s/h phone (Hi Russ ;) ) on Virgin payg !! :smokin:

How they make money I don't know. I've got a spare Virgin phone for visiting guests. Same setup. Even when it is in use the bills don't go over £1, but that results in them creating (say 10p for paper envelope printing and processing) and sending (20p) a paper bill, then collecting it by DD (say 5p) so they incurr 35p in invoice costs for a £1 bill.

I called them and suggested that their billing system implemented a minimum bill (say £5 like a PAYG topup) which they said they were already looking into as if you did not pay by DD many banks would not send an electronic payment for under £1.

Good phone / service / cost though.

Maggy
16-10-2003, 18:59
I don't know what you want from a forum incog but does this help

http://www.howardforums.com/
if not just do a google for mobile phone forum and take your pick

or this one
http://www.cellular-news.com/forum/
from a google for vodafone mobile phone forum

Well something along the lines of this site.However I have googled and found nothing.Guess mobile phone users are a fickle bunch and just go to another provider if their own provider lets them down.I just wanted to find out if I was the only one having trouble with the site.

Incog :)