PDA

View Full Version : Dr in the buff

Salu
12-08-2005, 10:10
I was chatting to a medical student yesterday about her experience at a naturist beach (not just me I hasten to add....) She was expressing how free she felt and "at one with everyone" and that without clothes how everyone was more equal as clothes/uniforms make you relate to someone in a particular way etc etc..

It got me thinking about public perception and doctors (and other professionals too). Obviously this thread will have discussion on the concept of naturism and kids and sexuality etc but I would like to keep it to our relationships with Doctors/professionals if poss...

Would you be affected by the knowledge that your Doctor who was examining your bits on Monday was publically unclothed at the weekend? Would you think of him/her any less professionally? Do you have to be a little odd to be unclothed publically? Would you feel uncomfortable? Is it all perfectly natural or are we being naive in suggesting this as men are known to be "excited" by visual imagery.

Adam and Eve were the first humans, and they were the first naturists.....

grandmaster
12-08-2005, 10:15
As far as i'm concerned as long as my GP was doing nothing illegal then who am i to say what he does in his/her lesuire time.

Adam and Eve were the first humans, and they were the first naturists.....

If you believe in that sort of thing.

Anyways if true they did not realise that they were "naked" until they raided the apple tree. Damn snakes!!

Roy MM
12-08-2005, 10:16
We are the only animal that wears clothes, often wondered why. :shrug:

grandmaster
12-08-2005, 10:16
Poor animal tailors? :D

punky
12-08-2005, 10:17
It wouldn't bother me so long as they do the job they are supposed to and do it properly.

That said, she does sound like a bit of a nutcase. I can't see how "no clothes" makes everyone "more equal". What about out of uniform then?

Salu
12-08-2005, 10:17
As far as i'm concerned as long as my GP was doing nothing illegal then who am i to say what he does in his/her lesuire time.

Not so much what you would say or judge but what would you think? How would it affect your patient to Doctor relationship.

A general comment...
I'm aware that it is very PC these days to say "Do as you want as long as it doesn't effect me" type of thing but I want to know what you really feel. Don't just say the PC answer.

danielf
12-08-2005, 10:21
Not so much what you would say or judge but what would you think? How would it affect your patient to Doctor relationship.

I'd probably think that my GP was being very unprofessional if we were discussing what he/she did on a weekend. I don't care if he/she goes to a museum or a naturist beach. It's irrelevant, and I'm not interested in discussing it with him/her.

Salu
12-08-2005, 10:23
I'd probably think that my GP was being very unprofessional if we were discussing what he/she did on a weekend. I don't care if he/she goes to a museum or a naturist beach. It's irrelevant, and none of my business.

I wasn't meaning that you would discuss it with him but are you sure you would not feel any more uncomfortable knowing this about him as he examined your groin?

Stuart
12-08-2005, 10:25
We are the only animal that wears clothes, often wondered why. :shrug:

Probably protection against the elements.

If you think about it. most living things have something covering their skin (fur, feathers etc).

We don't, so we need clothes to perform the same function.

grandmaster
12-08-2005, 10:26

A general comment...
I'm aware that it is very PC these days to say "Do as you want as long as it doesn't effect me" type of thing but I want to know what you really feel. Don't just say the PC answer.

Thats thing though, i would'nt care.

Stuart
12-08-2005, 10:28
I wasn't meaning that you would discuss it with him but are you sure you would not feel any more uncomfortable knowing this about him as he examined your groin?

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. As long as my GP helps me when I am ill or injured, I don't consider it my business what he does at weekends (or during the week for that matter). It's his knowledge and talents that count, not whether he wears clothes or not.

danielf
12-08-2005, 10:30

Yes. All I care about is that my GP is professional. That's why I see him/her. I am not even remotely interested in what he/she does in his/her private life.

Frankly, I wonder why you started this thread. Why would/should I feel more uncomfortable?

zing_deleted
12-08-2005, 10:31
Imagine getting arrested for d&d by a naked Wpc with nothing but her hat on mmmm ;) :LOL:

Salu
12-08-2005, 10:31
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. As long as my GP helps me when I am ill or injured, I don't consider it my business what he does at weekends (or during the week for that matter). It's his knowledge and talents that count, not whether he wears clothes or not.

There must be a level where his actions/habits/thoughts would affect you though. What if he were a sex offender then? OK, I know he wouldn't be practicing then but wouldnt that affect you?

Flubflow
12-08-2005, 10:34
I don't think it would bother me if they were a naturist.
I would be more concerned if she said, "by the way I'm a dominatrix at weekends", when she was just about to give me a prostate or testicular examination. :Yikes:
:D

zing_deleted
12-08-2005, 10:36
I don't think it would bother me if they were a naturist.
I would be more concerned if she said, "by the way I'm a dominatrix at weekends", when she was just about to give me a prostate or testicular examination. :Yikes:

You would be ok as long as you said " Thank you maam" after ;)

Stuart
12-08-2005, 10:36
There must be a level where his actions/habits/thoughts would affect you though. What if he were a sex offender then? OK, I know he wouldn't be practicing then but wouldnt that affect you?

Probably not, but I cannot be sure as (AFAIK) my GP isn't a sexual offender. Also, the fact that my GP is openly gay doesn't affect me in the slightest (just in case you were planning on asking).

Salu
12-08-2005, 10:38
Yes. All I care about is that my GP is professional. That's why I see him/her. I am not even remotely interested in what he/she does in his/her private life.

Frankly, I wonder why you started this thread. Why would/should I feel more uncomfortable?

I started it because I am interesting in the psychology of Dr to patient relationships. There will be a lot of politically correct answers given here as people feel the need to say the "correct" thing but I know from discussions that I have had that patients are put off by much more trivial things such as "the way he looked at me" or "he didn't look at me" or his dress sense etc.

Of course there will be people who genuinely do not care though....

Maybe an admin could add an annonymous poll?

Probably not, but I cannot be sure as (AFAIK) my GP isn't a sexual offender. Also, the fact that my GP is openly gay doesn't affect me in the slightest (just in case you were planning on asking).

put that red rag away now....

danielf
12-08-2005, 10:40
I started it because I am interesting in the psychology of Dr to patient relationships. There will be a lot of politically correct answers given here as people feel the need to say the "correct" thing but I know from discussions that I have had that patients are put off by much more trivial things such as "the way he looked at me" or "he didn't look at me" or his dress sense etc.

Maybe an admin could add an annonymous poll?

Well, I would be put off if my GP came across as uninterested. 'Bed-side manner' is not trivial at all. What he/she does on the weekend or dress sense however is trivial.

zing_deleted
12-08-2005, 10:43
I would not bother either,my surgery I never get to see the same doctor ive seen 4 there and I know nothing about any of them. I think pretty much thats the case all over.I dont think many people get to "know" there doctor.If he/she makes me well again thats all that counts

Salu
12-08-2005, 10:43
Well, I would be put off if my GP came across as uninterested. 'Bed-side manner' is not trivial at all. What he/she does on the weekend or dress sense however is trivial.

It's not trivial if it affects you. Maybe you aren't affected at all, fair enough. Some people would not be bothered if their GP came across as uninterested as they may relate purely on a functional level. That is, "here is my problem, what is your advice?" Whether the GP is interested may not be important to them at all.

Jules
12-08-2005, 11:35
As long as my doctor had his clothes on while he was examining me I really wouldn't mind that he was a naturist in his spare time.

Would I go some were and strip off naked with a lot of other people....nope, never, not a cat in hells chance!

Flubflow
12-08-2005, 12:39

Here's something wierd for you Salu.
Our fantastic family GP retired about 15 years ago. Since then I've only been to the doctors about 3 times. I've never actually seen our replacement GP yet. Those times I went it was at very short notice and I always seemed to get this one other doctor who was the only one who seemed to be available for urgent appointments. About 10 years ago she seemed quite normal, if a little more casual in appreance than you'd expect. No problem. However, the last couple of times I saw her I noticed that she had put on quite a bit of weight, was wearing a man's suit, had very short hair like a lad and, this was the clincher... she had grown an alarming amount of moustache. Oh, it was really quite nasty. I'm not quite sure what the story is there but I have a few theories. That's the problem, one doesn't know what the story is and you can certainly understand the average person feeling ill at ease (which is not ideal when you are also feeling generally ill anyway!) and one doesn't really dare to ask. The doctor's performance as a doctor was not questionable at all.
Given the choice of waiting and suffering slightly to see my own GP or being able to get a more immediate appointment see her again then I'd have to admit in all honesty that I'd prefer to wait and suffer physically rather than suffer the worry about what further transformation may await me behind her surgery door. I don't know what the patient psychology of all that is about but I suppose you could say that it was a fear of the unknown more than a fear/hatred of something that is against the norm (especially if you don't particularly like going to the doctors anyway).

Of course sod's law will dictate that when I eventually get to see the proper family GP for the first time would be to discover that he wears a dress, make-up and a big blue-rinse hairdo ;).

ian@huth
12-08-2005, 12:54
At my GP's you have to have any doctor if you want an appointment at short notice. Being a regular visitor due to my health problems I usually see the same one who knows all about my condition, its history and how it has been treated. On odd occasions I have had to see other doctors but do not have the same confidence in them. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I found out he was a naturist, why should it? Even if I found out that he was a gay naturist who got involved in mass sex orgies at the weekend it wouldn't bother me as long as he left all that behind and conducted his surgery in a proper professional manner.

Raistlin
12-08-2005, 12:57
Ok.

Since you asked.

A disposition on the part of my GP to dance around naked in his spare time would change the way that I perceive him. However, that change in perception on my part would only be brought about by my having a better understanding of the person treating me.

I would not feel uncomfortable, nor would I think any less of him professionally.

All I want from a GP is for them to treat me, to the best of their ability, to act in a professional and curteous manner, and to listen to my problems/concerns sympatheticaly (sp?).

If they told me this during the course of a consultation I would consider it unusual, and if they persisited in discussing it I might feel uncomfortable that they were talking about it whilst they were supposed to be discharging their obligation to me.

Graham
12-08-2005, 14:16
Would you be affected by the knowledge that your Doctor who was examining your bits on Monday was publically unclothed at the weekend?
Would you think of him/her any less professionally? Do you have to be a little odd to be unclothed publically? Would you feel uncomfortable? Is it all perfectly natural or are we being naive in suggesting this as men are known to be "excited" by visual imagery.

Why on earth should it affect me? Next think you know you'll be suggesting they take their clothes off when they have a bath or make love...! :eek: ;)

Naturism has nothing to do with sex. Hell, I like "visual imagery" as much as the next bloke, but when I went to a naturist swimming pool with my sister and brother in law I wasn't wandering around with a permanent erection because it's a non-sexual context.

Frankly I'd be pleased to know that my doctor wasn't uptight about bodily exposure, indeed, in the USA there's an organisation called "Kink Aware Professionals" which has people from all professions (including doctors, lawyers etc) who someone who is into BDSM and related areas can go to without having to worry about needing to explain what it is that they do or why they do it when they need help or advice.

People should learn to relax a little more...!

That said, she does sound like a bit of a nutcase. I can't see how "no clothes" makes everyone "more equal". What about out of uniform then?

Why does that make her a "nutcase"?

If she's wearing Versace and you're wearing Burberry, I think there would *definitely* be an "inequality" there...! :D

I beg your pardon, but that is *not* "Political Correctness". PC would be saying for instancethat you shouldn't wear designer brands because *I* can't afford them.

"An' it harm no other, do what thou wilt" is a very sensible idea, amongst other things it means that people shouldn't judge others based on their own beliefs (the attitude of "stop this person from doing something that *I* don't like them doing")

It's his knowledge and talents that count, not whether he wears clothes or not.

Now I think you're reaching...!

Hey, just consider the fact that you'd usually have to pay £150 an hour for that sort of treatment! :D

Err, allegedly... :naughty:

marky
12-08-2005, 14:17
:scratch: Just thinking of the practice BBQ :Yikes:

dilli-theclaw
12-08-2005, 14:32
It's not something that I've stopped to think about, I'd like to think it wouldn't affect me.

But I guess I wouldn't know for sure until I found out.

edit - as it happens I DO have a problem with one of the gp's at my surgery and I refuse to see him, but that's another story.

Raistlin
12-08-2005, 14:33
:scratch: Just thinking of the practice BBQ :Yikes:

Just don't have the sausage ;)

Halcyon
12-08-2005, 15:58
As long as the Doctor does his job well when he is working, then what he gets upto (as long as its legal and offends no one) is up to him or her outside of work.
I would not be bothered.

Ramrod
12-08-2005, 16:12
Just seems a bit unprofessional to me......but thats my very personal opinion.....I probably have 'issues' :erm: :D

Reminds me of a chiropractor a few years ago who moonlighted as a stripper! He was admonished and fined by our regulatory body for 'bringing the profession into disrepute' iirc........... :D

Stuart
12-08-2005, 16:13
As long as he didn't strip while practicing, and bone crack to the tune of "The Stripper", it should have been Ok..

greencreeper
12-08-2005, 18:36
Given that a lot of GPs are sampling the prescription painkillers, knocking back gin between patients, or taking anti-depressants, the thought of my GP flashing his bits to all and sundry does pale into insignificance. So long as he knows what he's doing and listens (rare quality), he will do for me.

Reminds me of a chiropractor a few years ago who moonlighted as a stripper! He was admonished and fined by our regulatory body for 'bringing the profession into disrepute' iirc........... :D
I'd have thought his gyrations would have been an advert for the wonders of chirowhasits :erm:

Richard M
12-08-2005, 18:43
I read somewhere once that 3 out of 10 doctors regularly take Class A drugs so compared to that it's nothing.
I've always wanted to go to a naturist beach, I imagine it would be quite (excuse the cliche) liberating.

Graham
12-08-2005, 20:57
Just seems a bit unprofessional to me......but thats my very personal opinion.....I probably have 'issues' :erm: :D

I don't find that amusing.

There is a guy I know called Laurence who runs a business called Roissy Workshops making BDSM furniture.

Here's a short precis of his situation from the Unfettered website. (I won't link to it because it contains adult content).

On Wednesday 26th July 2000 Laurence recieved a telephone call from his employers Lancashire Probation Service that changed his life. This call was in respect of an anonymous fax making allegations about his involvement in consensual BDSM and ultimately resulted in his dismissal from his work.

Since that time Laurence has refused to be cowed, bullied, intimidated or silenced. He has taken his case through stage after stage of court proceedings with one aim in mind. To establish a legal precident whereby the rights of practitioners of consensual adult BDSM are protected from victimisation by employers.

The case has now run for five years during which time a variety of institutional predjudices and ignorance have been highlighted. A catalogue of hypocrisy and deceit mark its progress and the matter is now set to be placed before the European Courts.

If successful this will be a landmark case and rank as one of the most significant victories for BDSM ever achieved.

I sincerely hope he wins.

I read somewhere once that 3 out of 10 doctors regularly take Class A drugs so compared to that it's nothing.
I've always wanted to go to a naturist beach, I imagine it would be quite (excuse the cliche) liberating.

"Officials are recommending that a stretch of coastline should become Wales's first permanent nudist beach.

"Naturists have been enjoying nude sunbathing at Morfa Dyffryn Beach in Ardudwy near Harlech for a year after it was granted a special licence."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/regions/wales/1158801.stm

Richard M
12-08-2005, 21:15
Lovely, except that Harlech is up North! :D

Gareth
12-08-2005, 21:54
Frankly I'd be pleased to know that my doctor wasn't uptight about bodily exposure, indeed, in the USA there's an organisation called "Kink Aware Professionals" which has people from all professions (including doctors, lawyers etc) who someone who is into BDSM and related areas can go to without having to worry about needing to explain what it is that they do or why they do it when they need help or advice.Damn, just checked out their website adn it says As of October 1, 2004, Kink Aware Professionals no longer accepts listings for complementary healing, pastoral, financial or computer professionals. That's not very politically correct of them, in my opinion. And the fact that I'm a computer professional has nothing to do with me forming that opinion!

Lovely, except that Harlech is up North! :DMy gran used to own a sweet shop in Harlech. Lovely castle there too :)

Graham
12-08-2005, 22:22
Lovely, except that Harlech is up North! :D

Check out the links on the right hand side, IIRC there's ones for various naturist organisations which will probably point you in the right direction of other beaches/ naturist clubs etc.

in the USA there's an organisation called "Kink Aware Professionals" Damn, just checked out their website adn it says As of October 1, 2004, Kink Aware Professionals no longer accepts listings for complementary healing, pastoral, financial or computer professionals. That's not very politically correct of them, in my opinion. And the fact that I'm a computer professional has nothing to do with me forming that opinion!

IIRC I think it was because they were getting too many people from those areas who were just using it as an excuse to plug their own web design services or herbal viagra etc rather than actually having any real interest in what the site was trying to offer.

Gareth
12-08-2005, 22:28
Knowing most 'computer professionals' they probably thought they'd be in with a chance of getting a shag.... for the first time ever :disturbd:

Ramrod
13-08-2005, 00:55
I don't find that amusing.Oh purleeeease.....naturalism is one thing, gyrating in front of a baying audience is another :D

I sincerely hope he winsWell you would, wouldn't you? ;) :D
..........but so do I! :)

Graham
13-08-2005, 14:39
I don't find that amusing.Oh purleeeease.....naturalism is one thing, gyrating in front of a baying audience is another :D

Why? If everyone is consenting, what is the problem?

And as for "gyrating in front of a baying audience" what if the doctor was a young guy and the lead singer of a pop band with a large female following and wore tight trousers on stage? Is it only that one guy actually takes his clothes *off* that is giving you "issues"?

Stuart
13-08-2005, 16:13

Try going to a party with some NHS nurses... You'll see a few things then... :naughty: