PDA

View Full Version : Real Credit Cards

marky
12-08-2005, 03:11
Why not :)

it takes it away from prepay:disturbd:

Chris
12-08-2005, 11:05
I have never owned one. I intend it to stay that way. If I haven't got it, I don't spend it. The only exception to that is for major, essential purchases that nobody can afford (i.e. house, possibly a car), in which case I look carefully at my circumstances and what's available and make appropriate, affordable arrangements.

I have always found it hard to understand why most people need a new item of clothing so badly that they have to borrow money to pay for them!

The only exception to all the above is that a few years ago Boots tied up with Egg - Mrs T converted her advantage points card to an Advantage Egg card, purely because the extra boots points you could get was quite ridiculously generous. Sadly Boots and Egg agreed, and the deal was up in about 18 months. We were sent a new Egg card but cut it up not long afterwards.

danielf
12-08-2005, 11:13
I have never owned one. I intend it to stay that way. If I haven't got it, I don't spend it. The only exception to that is for major, essential purchases that nobody can afford (i.e. house, possibly a car), in which case I look carefully at my circumstances and what's available and make appropriate, affordable arrangements.

I have always found it hard to understand why most people need a new item of clothing so badly that they have to borrow money to pay for them!

The only exception to all the above is that a few years ago Boots tied up with Egg - Mrs T converted her advantage points card to an Advantage Egg card, purely because the extra boots points you could get was quite ridiculously generous. Sadly Boots and Egg agreed, and the deal was up in about 18 months. We were sent a new Egg card but cut it up not long afterwards.

Credit cards are very handy in that they are widely accepted abroad/on the web. Obviously you need to use them wisely. Mine gets paid off in full every month.

punky
12-08-2005, 11:14
I love credit cards, they are one of the best inventions of the 20th century. This 1 piece of plastic means I can buy stuff in the UK, then I can fly to Laos and buy something there too. Sod the Euro.

There are so many features and benefits to most CCs, it comes in with a book, that most people don't even read. For example, with Barclaycard, if you pay for your holiday on your CC, they give you free travel insurance. And charge backs now mean you don't have to worry about fraud. I tried to get insurance with Bell Direct, but the firm went bust within a week. The insurance ombudsmen said they would only honour 80% of any claim to my fully comp insurance. As I paid it on CC, I did a charge back and got my money back. Had I have paid by cheque or debit card, I wouldn't have seen that money again.

They are really useful. I don't carry cash around, so when I buy stuff, I don't stick everything on my debit card, I put it on my CC, then just pay it off at the end of the money. Doesn't cost me any different, but I have the charge back protection, price matching, insurance, etc that comes with it.

Jules
12-08-2005, 12:41
I have a CC but I make sure pay it off every month and have never paid interest on it

Graham
12-08-2005, 14:47
As mentioned in the other thread. I don't *need* to have them but I use credit cards to *my* advantage eg with 0% deals and Section 75 of the CCA.

grandmaster
12-08-2005, 15:49
I have a first direct gold card and a standard egg card.

I'm very careful with my dosh now ,allthough i never used to be.

I have less than 20 quid on my fd and less than a tenner on my egg.

TBH i only ever use my egg to buy of ebay and domain names.

Richard M
12-08-2005, 16:34
I have a Visa and use it in places that don't accept a Switch.
Unfortunately I left it my shirt pocket last night when it got put through the dryer!
Now, it's gone a weird shape. :D

grandmaster
12-08-2005, 16:48
like a mint card lol