PDA

View Full Version : 02920368700

Paul K
11-08-2005, 13:30
Grrr just been cold called on my mobile by a company offering to upgrade my mobile and save me money on my monthly bills. Funny thing is that they knew exactly when my 12 month contract expires with O2 and my mobile number which I do not give out on any sites. Now as far as I am aware only O2 and myself know when my contract ends so where did these iddiots get the information from?
Just googled the number and found a few threads like this
http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=11256
so good thing I told them that I wasn't changing my contract. Some people have given their bank details over the phone :erm:

Chris
11-08-2005, 13:40
I have given up being polite to cold callers I'm afraid. As soon as I hear the words 'this is a courtesy call from (any company you like)...' I hang up without a word.

Reading through the thread you linked to, I think I have actually had these idiots on my line recently. Someone claiming to be partnered with Orange, anyway. I just hung up.

Paul K
11-08-2005, 13:47
Think it's the safest way of dealing with them, I've just emailed O2 asking them how this company has come to have my contract details. Should be interesting to see what the answer is, just looked at the cdleurope site and they seem to be looking at numerous contract providers so no doubt a lot more people will get the call from them.

Aragorn
11-08-2005, 13:49
My work mobile was originally on Orange and is now back on Vodafone. A couple of months ago I kept getting calls from a company saying my Orange contract was about to run out. Eventually having disturbed me in customer meetings once or twice, I swore at the bloke and told them to take me off their system unless they wanted to hear from our legal people.

Haven't heard from them since ;)

Paul K
11-08-2005, 13:49
Actually makes you wonder when they have two sites
http://www.communicationsdirect.org.uk/
http://www.3mobiledirect.com/

Nidge
11-08-2005, 17:31
Grrr just been cold called on my mobile by a company offering to upgrade my mobile and save me money on my monthly bills. Funny thing is that they knew exactly when my 12 month contract expires with O2 and my mobile number which I do not give out on any sites. Now as far as I am aware only O2 and myself know when my contract ends so where did these iddiots get the information from?
Just googled the number and found a few threads like this
http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?t=11256
so good thing I told them that I wasn't changing my contract. Some people have given their bank details over the phone :erm:

My misus had a call from one of them a couple of months ago, they said they could beat O2 on price, my missus said I get 500 minutes and 400 texts for £35 per month all in beat that, the line went silent for a little while thena voice popped in and said sorry we can't beat that.

Paul K
12-08-2005, 13:04
Well guess who just called me again ;) Must admit the call lasted about 10 seconds as I recognised the number on my phone this time and was ready with a response of "you rang me yesterday and I told you to clear off". If I get one more call I'll be ringing O2 customer services to ask them how an outside company knows exactly when my contract with O2 ends. Not that I'm not still waiting for a reply to my email to them asking how my personal details were handed over to this company without my knowledge or consent.

Darkies Gem
12-08-2005, 13:17
I had them ring up a few months back.
I kept telling them id have to get back to them after speaking to my bf first, but luckily i genuinly kept forgetting to ask him about it. Anyway, on the last call, They told me they were T-mobile, as i did actually want another T-mobile sim when they rang the first time. But at the end they slipped up and said 3G Ltd. I flipped and told them i didnt want anymore phone calls from them, especially when they lies about who they actually were. I then rang T-mobile sales support, and requested information on the price plan the other company had offered me, and confirmed it was 3G ringing and not T-Mobile. They were going to follow up to hear there side of the story, but i havn't heard anything since.

I had talk talk ring the house phone the other day, how they got that I will never no, I never enter my house phone, on the net, only my mobile, as im on pay as you go, it's easier just to get a new sim card, than mess about with BT and NTL.
They kept trying to pressure me into buying TalkTalk, told them to clear off as i was in the middle of eating breakfast and they havn't called since.

Graham
12-08-2005, 14:23
I had talk talk ring the house phone the other day, how they got that I will never no,

Probably just sequential dialling, start at 911111 and add one number each time.

Best thing is to register your number with the Telephone Preference Service (www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/) then you can tell them that they can be fined £2000 for every time they make an unsolicited call to you!

Oh and don't be conned if they try to weasel out of this by claiming that it's "a survey" or you have "won a competition" because it's BS and they're just trying to wiggle past the regulations.

(BTW whilst you're on that site, sign up to the Mail Preference Service too to stop you getting Junk Mail!) :)

Halcyon
12-08-2005, 16:00
Those calls are very annoying. I've had a few before and am normally polite the first time. But once they call again, I am not a happy person!
I hope you get answers to the e-mail you sent. Let us know what they say.

nffc
12-08-2005, 17:41
Prank call it back, and try and sell them something. Withold your no, of course :D

Paul K
12-08-2005, 17:50
Those calls are very annoying. I've had a few before and am normally polite the first time. But once they call again, I am not a happy person!
I hope you get answers to the e-mail you sent. Let us know what they say.
LOL Just got a reply

Dear Paul,
Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Service.
I am sorry that you are receiving unwanted marketing calls.
You will be eligible to renew your contract on 01 November 2005.
We do not share our customers account information and details with any other
company. The details may have been provided to the marketing company through third party.
Please ignore the phone calls you are receiving from the marketing company. If you wish to take further action, you can register you mobile number: *********** with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS), which is a government run scheme.
It is illegal for anybody to make a direct marketing call or to send marketing
text to any number registered with the TPS after 28 days from the time it is
registered.

You can register by calling 0845 070 0707 or online at 'www.tps-online.org.uk'.
Cue one email going back to them asking how the marketing company knew exactly when my contract was ending and how they got my mobile number when it's not listed in the directory :mad:

nffc
12-08-2005, 18:03
We do not share our customers account information and details with any other company. The details may have been provided to the marketing company through third party.

That doesn't make sense. Sadly I fear they've sold the lists on but either way- they're a call centre, they're cold calling, they're not witholding the number. Fair game for a prank...

ikthius
12-08-2005, 18:37
company. The details may have been provided to the marketing company through
third party.

I would ask them how the third party got your number & contract details in the first place if it is not publicly known, then I would accuse them of selling the details, and ask why you were not contacted by your phone provider if it is ok to sell on information about your contract.

ik

Paul K
12-08-2005, 19:20
company. The details may have been provided to the marketing company through
third party.

I would ask them how the third party got your number & contract details in the first place if it is not publicly known, then I would accuse them of selling the details, and ask why you were not contacted by your phone provider if it is ok to sell on information about your contract.

ik
Oh believe me, the words "How can a third party company be involved if you haven't shared peoples details?" have been used in the reply email. They must think people are stupid.

Russ
12-08-2005, 19:24
It was a company called Communications Direct. They are based in Swansea and Cardiff but have some outlets in London. I know as I went for a job with them in the spring.

They actively encourage employees to make it sound like they are your network when in actual fact they are trying to get you on to another. They currently have a mass campaign at the moment to get o2 customers on to 3.

PM me if you want to know anything more.

Shaun
12-08-2005, 19:35
They seem to be after orange/easy mobile customers too. Both Jay and I have received calls from them (one after another) on several occasions this week saying they are making a customer service call!

Russ
12-08-2005, 19:36
That'll be them. Part of the terms of their operating licence is that they clearly state that they are not representing your network so if you can catch them out, all the better.

Chimaera
12-08-2005, 19:37
I can't wait for my call then! :ninja: :knock: :bsmack: :D

Russ
12-08-2005, 19:42
Your best bet is to list all the things you dislike about 3. Each operator has a list of 'answers' to popular reasons for disliking them, for example if you tell them you don't like Indian callcentres (which 3 uses), you'll be told "Well all the networks have them now". If you say you've heard their CS is crap, you'll get "They've greatly improved now". A good way to stump the caller is to them ask "in who's opinion" and ask for proof of these improvements.

delmontebanana
24-01-2007, 11:23
Look's like these muppets are still in business.

I googled the number and lots of people still giving their bank details to them!

It's unbelievable how your personal contact details with mobile companies can just be thrown about like that...

cuggle
26-01-2007, 21:11
exact same thing happened to me when my contract with o2 was near ending from the same number, it took several times of me telling them i`m not interested and after several calls i threatened to report them for harassment if they didn`t take my name and number off their lists.

MoNkEyBoI
15-03-2007, 20:53
I pity conspiracy theorists like you lot! if you looked into Communications Direct they are a very reputable company and have notched up near enough every major business award available. You were called and offered a new contract with the 3 network with a new phone, and that was made clear to you at least once, the "Disclosure" they read you at the end of the call, that confirms everything and you agreed to it! If they were a scam would they be the biggest mobile phone contractor in the uk? A few of you also mention that 3 are "crap", i'd really like to know how you figure that out considering that they have a 99.9% UK coverage, have a 4 million customer base; making them the fastest growing network, and that they have won "Network of the Year" for the past 2 years, being independently voted better than Voda, Orange, T-mobile and 02... Hmmmm, how is that "crap" then? Please humor me with any me with any pathetic and pitiful retorts!

zing_deleted
15-03-2007, 20:59
you a major shareholder then ;)

Chris
15-03-2007, 21:20
I pity conspiracy theorists like you lot! if you looked into Communications Direct they are a very reputable company and have notched up near enough every major business award available. You were called and offered a new contract with the 3 network with a new phone, and that was made clear to you at least once, the "Disclosure" they read you at the end of the call, that confirms everything and you agreed to it! If they were a scam would they be the biggest mobile phone contractor in the uk? A few of you also mention that 3 are "crap", i'd really like to know how you figure that out considering that they have a 99.9% UK coverage, have a 4 million customer base; making them the fastest growing network, and that they have won "Network of the Year" for the past 2 years, being independently voted better than Voda, Orange, T-mobile and 02... Hmmmm, how is that "crap" then? Please humor me with any me with any pathetic and pitiful retorts!

So, you'll be the company PRO doing a quick Google to assess your online profile then? :dozey:

'99.9% coverage' is certainly the sort of spin I'd expect from a PR monkey. You and I both know that this figure relates to 2G voice and data thanks to 3's carriage agreement with O2. The company's 3G coverage is far, far smaller. Perhaps you'd be honest enough to post that figure and save me looking for it?

'Fastest growing network' is another piece of empty spin. They are a new network based on a new technology so are bound to attract more sign ups than existing networks with a mature technology. They were also first to market. That doesn't make them best, it just makes them .... well, first.

As for Communications Direct - any company can grow nicely if it throws enough resources at cold-calling potential customers. It's the scattergun effect, one or two pieces of buckshot are bound to hit home. Unfortunately for the likes of CD, they don't really give a t055 whether the people they are calling actually *want* to get hassled by some overworked, commission-hungry sales exec. Survey after survey has shown that most people do not want to get these sorts of calls, yet CD and others persist in doing so.

That do ya for starters?

Nugget
15-03-2007, 21:42

Pathetic? Pitiful? Well, you got the first letter right, you pillock :)

Mr_love_monkey
15-03-2007, 21:45
Pathetic? Pitiful? Well, you got the first letter right, you pillock :)

Potato?

AntiSilence
15-03-2007, 21:58
I'm on Three and have no problems at all.

Nugget
15-03-2007, 22:10
Potato?

Obviously, I meant Ptrailblazer :)

Russ
16-03-2007, 00:35
I pity conspiracy theorists like you lot! if you looked into Communications Direct they are a very reputable company

As someone who once worked for this 'very reputable company' I can assure you they are only reputable on their own premises - outside that front door you'll find a nice place called 'reality'.

danielf
16-03-2007, 00:59
<snip> and that was made clear to you at least once, the "Disclosure" they read you at the end of the call, that confirms everything and you agreed to it! <Snip>

This sounds like a very 'upfront' company...:dozey:

Paul K
16-03-2007, 07:07
Sorry but any company that cold calls people (someone needs to ask where they get the numbers from since I have never allowed my details to be passed on by O2) and tells you every detail of your current contract before trying to get you to change to them and then repeatedly calls you even when you tell them you will complain to the regulator can hardly be seen as reputable. There is nothing worst than a call center full of salespeople working to a bonus system because they will not care who they call and how many times they call them.
My personal record is 3 times in 1 day from this bunch of turd munchers even after they were told on the first call that I was not interested. Reputable? My a**e they are.

Russ
16-03-2007, 07:15
I left CD after just one day - the job advert said 'Customer Services' when in actual fact it's telesales. Nice bit of misdirection there. As soon as I knew what it really was, I took a hike but not before I read the 'script' which certainly aimed to make you think they were calling from your current network.

Paul K
16-03-2007, 07:19
Yep they always try to get you to think that they are your provider until they launch they "we can offer you" bit. I rarely let them get passed the "Can we talk to you about your current contract which is about to expire". Last one got asked "Are you O2? No? well sod off".

Stuart
16-03-2007, 10:07

I don't think there is any conspiracy here. Just a (justified IMO) hatred of cold calling.

As for the negative comments about 3? Well, based upon various friends' experience with 3, their network is crap. As Chris T says, that 99% figure includes GPRS coverage. If you've ever gone across the border of the 3G network, you'll know it doesn't cope very well with the change.

Their customer service is also amongst the worst I have dealt with (beating even HSBC, whom I have had quite a few bad experiences with).

Awards? Worthless in my opinion. Usually they are voted for by the industry.

Fastest growing customer base with 4 million? As Chris says, that is worthless. I could set up my own mobile phone network, sell a handset to 1 other person and legitimately claim to have the fasted growing customer base in the industry (it would take me minutes to sell the handset, and I would double the size of my customer base in those minutes, thus I could claim 100% growth).

You ask if they were a scam, could they be the biggest mobile phone operator in the country. To which, having seen first hand the tactics used to sell to people, I would have to say, yes.

Also, just checked the CDLEurope website. It appears to be hosted on home.btconnect.com. Not a good advert for a business that it's website appears to be hosted on a residential web server.

Xaccers
16-03-2007, 10:31
I'm on an 18 month contract with O2, but started getting calls after 11 months, told them I was on a 18 month contact so no thanks.
Got a letter after 12 months from O2 saying I could upgrade, my phone was a bit grubby so I did, again with an 18 month contract.
6 months later more calls asking if I want to upgrade, and I'm expecting them again in another 6 months.
*joy*

Was wondering, every contract is a credit item right?
I know through my bankrupcy unscrupilous companies seem to have access to what your credit rating is like, hence when you start getting into difficulties, the 30%+ loan companies start sending junk mail.
If they do have access to people's credit records, then they'd be able to see a new credit item for the network operator, and work out form that 12/18 months.

Stuart
16-03-2007, 10:52
One other thing to note: If they are a reputable company, why do they appear to try and make you think they are someone else?