PDA

View Full Version : Telewest announce 10Mb broadband speed

Richard M
11-08-2005, 13:13
The second largest cableco in the UK today announced a 10Mb broadband service, but what is interesting about this announcement is that it will be rolled out from next month unlike NTL who will roll out by the end of Q4 2005.

NTL announced a 10Mb base speed earlier this week.

The Press Release from Telewest follows:

Telewest Broadband to continue breaking speed limits
10Mb service will lead new wave of faster cable access

Telewest Broadband has today announced plans to shake-up its blueyonder
internet services - with the most significant speed boosts seen yet - and
outlined its capability to go much faster in the future.

The cable company will roll-out speed upgrades from next month, on a
region-by-region basis and at no extra cost to existing or new customers.
Completion is scheduled for early next year, with the following tiers on
offer:

blueyonder broadband
Currently 512Kbp/s (kilobits per second), the entry-level service will
become 2Mbp/s (megabits per second), for the same price of £17.99 per month

blueyonder broadband complete
The standard 1Mb service will become a super-fast 4Mbp/s service, still at
£25 per month

blueyonder broadband elite
The current 2Mb and 4Mb options will be replaced by a flagship 10Mb service,
costing only £35 per month

Upstream speeds will also be increased to 256Kbp/s for the 2Mb service and
to 384Kbp/s for the complete and elite services.

All the tiers will remain free of usage limitations, following research*
showing consumers' confusion over bandwidth caps. The company believes its
unlimited policy continues to give customers peace of mind and the ability
to get the most out of rich media content.

Unlike faster services touted by ADSL providers, where the maximum speed of
internet access is dictated by distance from a phone exchange, the new cable
services will be available to every home with access to the company's
broadband-enabled network.

Eric Tveter, president and chief operating officer of Telewest Broadband,
said: "There have been a few ISPs making a fuss about 2Mb services recently,
but that often represents the maximum speed they can offer at the moment.
We're making 2Mb our minimum speed and we'll also be offering a choice of
affordable 4Mb and 10Mb services for more demanding internet users.

"What's more, our customers will be able to make full use of this extra
bandwidth because we won't be introducing caps and all the new speeds will
be available across the network. With blueyonder services you actually get
what you pay for."

Today's announcement is part of the cable company's aggressive programme to
maintain superiority over competitors. In 2006, with the deployment of LLU
(local loop unbundling), the general increase in internet access speeds is
likely to continue.

Telewest Broadband's advanced fibre optic network is poised to respond
rapidly to developing consumer demands and competitive moves in the event of
a speed-based arms race.

The bandwidth upgrades planned for September will meet the requirements of
most consumers and the applications and content currently available online.
But plans are already in place to accommodate further speed increases beyond
10Mb next year, should the market dictate. And with the advent of DOCSIS 3
or ethernet to the home, cable services of up to 50Mbp/s could be possible
in 2007.
Tveter added: "Cable is built for speed and, with the advent of the digital
home, we are capable of satisfying even the most bandwidth-hungry family."

Details of the speed upgrades can be found at
www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster and consumers can find out more about
Telewest Broadband's bundle of digital TV, broadband internet and telephone
services at www.telewest.co.uk.

A proper news article will be posted later but please use this thread for discussion.

danielf
11-08-2005, 13:18
GREAT! I was waiting for this. That's a four-fold increase for me :D

Good move Telewest!!!! :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
11-08-2005, 13:18
Absolutely stunning. I find it very odd how Telewest can implement such improvements so quickly compared to ntl. There is clearly a much more dynamic management structure in place at Telewest. Yes ntl have a bigger network, but TW say they will be rolling out upgrades from next month, whilst, as I understand it ntl will still be planning their upgrades.

One wonders whether such postive practices will get absorbed into ntl or smothered if (when) the merger takes place.

And best of all, no caps :)

danielf
11-08-2005, 13:21
Absolutely stunning. I find it very odd how Telewest can implement such improvements so quickly compared to ntl. There is clearly a much more dynamic management structure in place at Telewest. Yes ntl have a bigger network, but TW say they will be rolling out upgrades from next month, whilst, as I understand it ntl will still be planning their upgrades.

One wonders whether such postive practices will get absorbed into ntl or smothered if (when) the merger takes place.

Also note how complete the press release is. Complete info on price, speed, upload speed and caps. No uncertainties there...

Neil
11-08-2005, 13:53
All the tiers will remain free of usage limitations, following research*
showing consumers' confusion over bandwidth caps. The company believes its
unlimited policy continues to give customers peace of mind and the ability
to get the most out of rich media content.

Way to go TW-are you listening ntl? :rolleyes:

Jules
11-08-2005, 13:54
And yet again TW takes the lead in bringing new things in

Hans Gruber
11-08-2005, 14:11
Unlimited 10mbit for £35? Bargaintastic! :D

Looks like us NTLers will be last to see any kind of speed update... again.

Neil
11-08-2005, 14:18
The cable company will roll-out speed upgrades from next month, on a
region-by-region basis and at no extra cost to existing or new customers.
Completion is scheduled for early next year.

By the end of 2006, the roll out of this new product portfolio will be complete. There are no plans to change monthly prices.

Quite some difference there....:scratch:

However, some customers will need to upgrade their modem. Further details will be announced at launch

Hmmm-no mention of that from Telewest....

Ben
11-08-2005, 14:20
Upstream speeds will also be increased to 256Kbp/s for the 2Mb service and
to 384Kbp/s for the complete and elite services.

Nice a whole 384Kbp/s up and 10Mbit down. Lovely :rolleyes:

Ignition
11-08-2005, 14:28

We've been upgrading network since the beginning of the year Rob. Think you'll find upgrades start happening a bit earlier than you appear to believe.

I'm hugely cynical as to Telewest's ability to deliver 10Mbit unlimited services without extensive contention. Infact at the prices they are describing I'm struggling big stylie to see how this is going to work. We'll see :)

eTa
11-08-2005, 14:29
Telewest take the lead once again, increased transparency = better customer satisfaction... Now let the REAL broadband era begin! :D

p.s. I sure hope Telewest take over the broadband division when this NTelewest merger takes place. ;)

MovedGoalPosts
11-08-2005, 14:29
Anyone else noticed though how the gap in relative terms between upload and download speeds is getting wider?

Ben
11-08-2005, 14:31
Anyone else noticed though how the gap in relative terms between upload and download speeds is getting wider?

Yes. and tbh they should stick to the 10% rule. downloading at full speed might well use 30K upload at least! wow great on BY - expected more from them tbh.

Ignition
11-08-2005, 14:31
Quite some difference there....:scratch:

Can't see where it says rollout of higher speeds will take that time just comments on product portfolio.

Hmmm-no mention of that from Telewest....

Nah TW don't replace CPE they just let their customers deal with it, customers with STBs only capable of 1Mbit just didn't get their last set of upgrades.

MovedGoalPosts
11-08-2005, 14:35
We've been upgrading network since the beginning of the year Rob. Think you'll find upgrades start happening a bit earlier than you appear to believe.

I hope you are right, yet I'm basing my comments on the public statements issued by both companies for implementation.

I'm hugely cynical as to Telewest's ability to deliver 10Mbit unlimited services without extensive contention. Infact at the prices they are describing I'm struggling big stylie to see how this is going to work. We'll see :)

Again that is the insider knowledge you have. But then as for pricing, ntl are saying they will not be changing either, so surely both cablecos are in a similar boat re funding. Bottom line they are in competition with the ADSL LLU bods who were in danger of undercutting on price and speeds, until these announcements. The difficulty for any ISP is the ever evolving pace of technology makes today's plans obsolete by tommorrow.

b.c
11-08-2005, 14:40

That's what worries me too. Uncapped is good, but if it ends up being a choice between a cap or letting the contention kick in hard I know which I'd rather suffer.

That said, Telewest have had this phrase in their AUP for quite some time:

Telewest reserves the right to monitor network traffic and to take appropriate action as required - including the right to restrict any IPS. An example of such adverse usage could be the consumption of a high proportion of the available upload bandwidth over a significant period of time.
:)

alkenstein
11-08-2005, 14:44
According to my network-brained friend tcp/ip packets of size less than 1KB will cause the downstream to slow down with the 10Mb:384Kbit ratio due to the ACKs that need to be sent upstream. :mad:

Though, I don't know what my average packet sizes are.. :dozey:

From http://tinyurl.com/dsq3c average packet size seems to be about 620 bytes.. which means that we may not achieve full 10Mbit speeds..

And that's presuming that we do no uploading at all! :shocked:

orangebird
11-08-2005, 14:53
Way to go TW-are you listening ntl? :rolleyes:

When ntl announced the 10meg speed, why did no one post a single :rolleyes: about Telewest not having such a tier? :rolleyes:

Ignition
11-08-2005, 14:53
According to my network-brained friend tcp/ip packets of size less than 1KB will cause the downstream to slow down with the 10Mb:384Kbit ratio due to the ACKs that need to be sent upstream. :mad:

Though, I don't know what my average packet sizes are.. :dozey:

From http://tinyurl.com/dsq3c average packet size seems to be about 620 bytes.. which means that we may not achieve full 10Mbit speeds..

And that's presuming that we do no uploading at all! :shocked:

Downloading files average packet will be as large as your MRU which is by default 1500 bytes.

If you've problems with that ratio blame Telewest's obsession with staying uncapped. They happily let people upload full pelt 24x7, their problem to be honest.

orangebird
11-08-2005, 14:54

I find it stunning that when someone has next to no knowledge of the differences in quality, size and expense of different networks, they seem to think they know enough about how long these rollouts should take.

Neil
11-08-2005, 15:35
When ntl announced the 10meg speed, why did no one post a single :rolleyes: about Telewest not having such a tier? :rolleyes:

Because TW don't have the reputation that ntl do, that's why. oops:

Every time ntl do something, TW have either already announced it/done it.

[Edit]-Take the recent upgrades to 3 meg (ntl) & 4 meg (TW), ntl customers had major issues getting the upgrade (some CS staff didn't even know about it :erm: ), some waited ages, but TW had theirs finished ahead of schedule. ;)

Mick
11-08-2005, 15:40
Do we have turn this into a Telewest VS ntl thread - Crikey its pointless.... :rolleyes:

Robc66
11-08-2005, 15:41
Telewest kick ntl's bottom again! HOW I WISH I WAS IN A TELEWEST AREA!!!:(

danielf
11-08-2005, 15:44

Someone did, but it got only 2 replies...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33221

SMHarman
11-08-2005, 15:45
Anyone else noticed though how the gap in relative terms between upload and download speeds is getting wider?I thought this was a problem with the Asyncronous nature of cable and ADSL, the upload limits are reached far faster than the download ones.

orangebird
11-08-2005, 15:56
Because TW don't have the reputation that ntl do, that's why. oops:

Every time ntl do something, TW have either already announced it/done it.

Well in the case of the 10meg speed, ntl did it first, and you're still slagging them. :rolleyes:

[Edit]-Take the recent upgrades to 3 meg (ntl) & 4 meg (TW), ntl customers had major issues getting the upgrade (some CS staff didn't even know about it :erm: ), some waited ages, but TW had theirs finished ahead of schedule. ;)

But that's not the discussion happening now. ntl annouce 10meg first and they're still in the wrong for some unknown reason.... give a dog a bad name eh? ....

Neil
11-08-2005, 15:59
Well in the case of the 10meg speed, ntl did it first, and you're still slagging them. :rolleyes:

I'm not 'slagging' them, I was merely comparing the two announcments (of which Telewests is superior)

But that's not the discussion happening now. ntl annouce 10meg first and they're still in the wrong for some unknown reason.... give a dog a bad name eh? ....

ntl only have themselves to blame for the poor reputation they have just about everywhere.

Ben
11-08-2005, 16:00
OB its because BY will get the roll out done alot faster and no doubt with alot less problems then NTL will. + the fact that NTL wants to roll this out "later in the year" for 3mb customers and even longer for those who want to go from 2mb to 10mb

NTL are slow acting at everything, thats right everything!

Sorry i'm taking this off topic but OB i still see you trying to defend NTL after all this time! :D funny really

Mick
11-08-2005, 16:03
Ben - that's quite enough of that thanks.

Such great news has descended into chaos about who is better. Completely pointless seeing as ntl and Telewest aren't in direct competition anyway when all said and done!!!

orangebird
11-08-2005, 16:06
Can you let me know the name of shop where you lot get your crystal balls from? :rolleyes:

Ben - that's quite enough of that thanks.

Such great news has descended into chaos about who is better. Completely pointless seeing as ntl and Telewest aren't in direct competition anyway when all said and done!!!

Quite. Bloody shame really. You get something for nothiNg and people still have the braSs neck to whinge about who gets it first. FFS. :monkey:

Dave Stones
11-08-2005, 16:21
i'll make sure i let you know when i am rolled up to 4mbit :D:D:D

Gareth
11-08-2005, 16:42
I don't see anyone 'whinging' about NTL being crap and TW being great, but you have to admit that the TW press release does have far more information, including specific pricing information, upload speeds and details about capping.

Even the timescale, although it is vague, is of more interest than the timescale NTL announced. NTL's was "sometime before the end of this year for 3 mb users, and sometime before the end of 2006 for everyone else", which gives anywhere from a 4 month to a 16 month period. The Telewest timeframe is somewhere within the next 6 weeks - period.

This, to me, covers all the points that everybody had raised in the NTL 10mb thread. Imagine if NTL had been able to give this level of detail when they made their announcement. We wouldn't have had anything to talk about, except how good it should be when it arrives.

I understand that, logistically, it is easier for TW to roll out this upgrade, due to its smaller network/user base, etc... I presume that this difference of scale is also behind the lack of information given by NTL. Even I (and I'm far from a fan of NTL after all the hassle I had) am aware that if NTL had this information to hand, they would have announced it. In my opinion (and it is just an opinion), NTL were aware of Telewest making their announcement today, and had their hand forced. They had to make some form of announcement, even though they didn't at that time have all the details that people would invariably be asking about.

One question that I have, however, is why there is such a large difference in the lead times between Telewest being able to roll this out fully, and NTL doing the same thing. I don't know the size/complexity of their respective networks (hence my question), but is NTL's infrastructure really that much bigger than TW's that it's going to take them potentially >12 months to catch up? Maybe someone with an understanding of both networks can answer that for me.

danielf
11-08-2005, 16:51
I would imagine a lot of work has been going on behind the scenes at Telewest. Perhaps NTL are not slower at rolling it out, but just earlier with their press release (which would explain the relative lack of info as well).

nn012
11-08-2005, 17:06

Sorry to burst your bubble, Telewest announced a 10Meg trial back in March http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/76/76808/presentations/2004presentation.pdf (Page 28)

ian@huth
11-08-2005, 17:16
Sorry to burst your bubble, Telewest announced a 10Meg trial back in March http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/76/76808/presentations/2004presentation.pdf (Page 28)Think about when NTL first announced trials of 10Mb and above. If you look at the recent NTL statement they announced 20Mb trials, where is TW's 20Mb announcement?

nn012
11-08-2005, 17:26
Think about when NTL first announced trials of 10Mb and above.
When?

If you look at the recent NTL statement they announced 20Mb trials, where is TW's 20Mb announcement?

If Telewest still exists as a seperate company when ntl rollout 20Meg, im sure they'll even have a better offer then as has been the case in the previous upgrades.

PS. This isnt about an ntl vs. Telewest thing, i just hope Telewest's management take control of the internet section at the merged company.

ian@huth
11-08-2005, 17:47
Think about when NTL first announced trials of 10Mb and above.
When?

Can't remember the date and can't be bothered to look as this is a thread about TW announcements, not NTL. I am pretty sure that it was after NTL had already installed 100Mb connections in private properties though if that's any help. :D

eshaq786
11-08-2005, 23:54
Wow. Hats off to telewest once again (getting tired of taking my hat off all the time to telewest lol). And uncapped too! All you telewest haters can eat my 10mb dust....when it arrives!

kronas
12-08-2005, 00:20
there is nothing better than broadband britain finally coming to some sort of fruition, and telewest seem to be showing that unlimited can be something that is implimented, well done to telewest for being quicker off the mark.

None^
12-08-2005, 03:33
I'm not 'slagging' them, I was merely comparing the two announcments (of which Telewests is superior)

ntl only have themselves to blame for the poor reputation they have just about everywhere.

Having been a forum reader (and non poster) for a long time now (both on old and new sites), Neil - For an admin you are so biased against NTL it's unreal.

It's a forum - yes. I thought admins were supposed to carry an unbiased view... your views, to me are biased. :dozey:

I applaude both NTL and Telewest for what they are doing, whether merged or not. Who "got the info out first" or "who got it out better", isn't the subject here....
The fact that both companies are pushing the limits on broadband overwhelmingly (whatever their governing on limits in terms of caps or not), is nice to see don't you agree?

;)

Neil
12-08-2005, 06:52
Having been a forum reader (and non poster) for a long time now (both on old and new sites), Neil - For an admin you are so biased against NTL it's unreal.

It's a forum - yes. I thought admins were supposed to carry an unbiased view... your views, to me are biased. :dozey:

I applaude both NTL and Telewest for what they are doing, whether merged or not. Who "got the info out first" or "who got it out better", isn't the subject here....
The fact that both companies are pushing the limits on broadband overwhelmingly (whatever their governing on limits in terms of caps or not), is nice to see don't you agree?

;)

Bias has nothing to do with it-Telewest's press release is superior to ntl's-fact. It is simply more informative, & more professional looking.

Here's a few 'facts' for you....

TW's press release is far more informative than ntls.

ntl has somewhere in the region of 1,500,000 BB customers, & says it will complete the upgrade 'by the end of 2006'.

Telewest has approximately 1,000,000 BB customers, yet says it will complete the upgrades 'early next year'.

With the recent 3 meg upgrade (4 meg in Telewests case), ntl took far longer than Telewest to get this done. Despite ntl saying that it was their idea & that TW copied them, customers were kept waiting for an indefinate period of time. if it was ntl's idea 1st, what took them so long?

Telewest on the other hand finished their upgrades to 4 Mb ahead of schedule.

There's no bias there as those are not opinions I've given you, they're facts.

It simply can;t be solely because ntl have more customers than TW that it will take so much longer-they were only a couple of months behind TW in finishing the 3 Mb upgrades, yet for this round of upgrades it appears there will be a much larger gap when the amount of customers that need upgrading is pretty much what it was last time round for both companies.

Ignition
12-08-2005, 09:33
ntl has somewhere in the region of 1,500,000 BB customers, & says it will complete the upgrade 'by the end of 2006'.

Telewest has approximately 1,000,000 BB customers, yet says it will complete the upgrades 'early next year'.

Fascinating fact: ntl have over twice as many deployed uBRs as Telewest, this is for 50% more customers.. ;)

So you guys still reckon that Telewest will be ok handling 10Mbit uncapped?

Wow. Hats off to telewest once again (getting tired of taking my hat off all the time to telewest lol). And uncapped too! All you telewest haters can eat my 10mb dust....when it arrives!

Thought you were with Bulldog now?

ian@huth
12-08-2005, 11:03

Thought you were with Bulldog now?Ah, Bulldog! Isn't that the outfit that many were crowing about on here some time back saying that they were leaving the cablecos way behind? I wonder what their massive 65,000 user customer base and 20,000 potential customers waiting for service thinks of them now? What a company offers means nothing in itself. It's what a company delivers and can sustain that matters.

eshaq786
12-08-2005, 13:45
I am with Bulldog but I still have my Telewest service. Its just that i dont use the telewest one as my main connection. Have to say though telewest is much more reliable than bulldog. Anyway cant wait till 10mb comes out. Wonder if bulldog might launch adsl2+ by then though.

Amtiskaw
12-08-2005, 13:51
Funny, if Telewest are so great at upgrading and rolling out new services, why the hell is my street still on analog cable? We can't get cable broadband at all, or any digital channels through cable tv, and the area isn't scheduled to be upgraded until November! And this isn't out in the sticks somewhere, it's a major suburb of Liverpool.

andymt
14-08-2005, 17:44
unlucky!

however the problem for me is the price.
Now im not saying that £35 for unlimited 10 is expensive as it is not, it is a bloody amazing deal!
I would love 10mb but I just cant afford it lol.
At the mo i have the broadband complete service.
1mb is slow for me as i do download a lot, but if ppl have been downloadin more than me on a 4mb connection i should be the same!

Also regarding ntl being ahead of telewest in the 20mb trials,
telewest did state that they wanted to go further than 10mb, with 30mb trials commencing soon.
Telewest just dont wanna increase speeds too quickly because:
A) They wanna make sure they keep high level of quality and stability-remember the reason telewest is liked by its customers because of its reliability, so the last thing they would wanna do is to create an unstable service, especially as many customers dont give a damn about the speed, they just want uncapped reliability.
B) They need to make sure there would be enough market for 30mb connections, if they introduced it and not enough ppl bought it it would be a waste of money...remember, products that are introduced too early are often not succesful.

Well, anyway my fingers are tired now, but, i will be reeeaaallly happy with a 4mb connection!!

Robc66
14-08-2005, 17:49
I hope ntl change their minds and move towards the same path as telewest. Unlimited 10mbit for £35 a month would be the best deal in the uk. Even if ntl cant beat telewest they should atleast try to match them.

nick.king
15-08-2005, 01:28
Think about when NTL first announced trials of 10Mb and above. If you look at the recent NTL statement they announced 20Mb trials, where is TW's 20Mb announcement?

Who cares who announced what first, I don't give a **** to be honest we aren't at ****ing playschool are we?, all I care about is I'm with Telewest and I'll have a 10mbit uncapped service sometime within the next 6 weeks..... something you NTHELL-ers can only dream of.

SMHarman
15-08-2005, 09:57
Who cares who announced what first, I don't give a **** to be honest we aren't at ****ing playschool are we?,
Too True, it is good news all round.
all I care about is I'm with Telewest and I'll have a 10mbit uncapped service sometime within the next 6 weeks..... something you NTHELL-ers can only dream of.
and then the poster went back to playschool.

Ignition
15-08-2005, 11:30
Even if in a lot of areas it'll be occasionally 10Mbit ;)

andymt
15-08-2005, 17:29
4mb is pretty fast lol

KeepGood
15-08-2005, 20:34
Hmmm I still don't trust TW as far as I could throw one of their members of staff.

They advertised 10mb broadband in 1997 when they were Cableinet, and thats us just getting it now. Big woop.

And is it really going to be any good? Fair enough a 10mb download sounds great, but what crappy upload are they going to give us?

I have a 4mb account and the upload is still only 384k. You might think the upload doesn't really matter but think about when you are playing online games, your comp uploads just as much as it downloads.

TW connections have always sucked arse (pitty they are the only broadband supplier in my area). They advertise rapid speeds and their connections are terrible. Go try a 4mb connection in central europe and you'll see what they are supposed to be like. The connection rate on cable is totally shocking.

TW really need to get their arse in gear and do some catching up. Internet-wise theiy are still pretty slow (especially on the upload), TV-wise they are leaps and bounds behind Sky. Still no PVR???

Cheer

Me (One seriously disgruntled customer)

Rillington
16-08-2005, 13:32

I think it is because Telewest is a far better company than ntl is,. Everything seems to work and their products are betetr and cheaper. Telewest really seems to have made progress whereas ntl has chosen not to. After all, tnl still won't provide the News 24 multiscreen, among other things!

jtwn
16-08-2005, 14:08
Oh no!!!! The News 24 multiscreen /cries

Dunk01
16-08-2005, 19:13
So when are they gonna announce the roll out programme and the regions getting it first?

They must have some plan of action in hand...so come on spill the beans!

andymt
16-08-2005, 19:29
i already have a post for that lol..

they will prob want to try out smaller areas first, in order not to fk up huge areas of customers if sumink goes wrong.
They might even do the 512-2mb and the 1mb-4mb upgrades 1st, as they r easier for tw as it aint new.

Jullio
16-08-2005, 22:23
i already have a post for that lol..

they will prob want to try out smaller areas first, in order not to fk up huge areas of customers if sumink goes wrong.
They might even do the 512-2mb and the 1mb-4mb upgrades 1st, as they r easier for tw as it aint new.

There already for several months been a testing roll out of the 10mb service as far as I'm aware! Everything went well so hopefully the further rollouts should go as smooth as the previous 4mb update.

On another note I find it funny all this talk of can BY sustain 10mb uncapped and that heavy users will destroy the service. Where I live I must be 1 of at least 20 "heavy users" that I'm aware of within roughly 3/4 streets and theres plenty of other "normal users". If the discussion in the local on a Friday night is anything to go by, everybody seems happy with there broadband, if not the CS.

Just thought I'd offer my little old opinion! :dozey:

Ignition
16-08-2005, 22:49
There already for several months been a testing roll out of the 10mb service as far as I'm aware! Everything went well so hopefully the further rollouts should go as smooth as the previous 4mb update.

On another note I find it funny all this talk of can BY sustain 10mb uncapped and that heavy users will destroy the service. Where I live I must be 1 of at least 20 "heavy users" that I'm aware of within roughly 3/4 streets and theres plenty of other "normal users". If the discussion in the local on a Friday night is anything to go by, everybody seems happy with there broadband, if not the CS.

Just thought I'd offer my little old opinion! :dozey:

Cool, so unless there's 80 customers on a 10 grand card you'll see some contention due to these 1 in 20 heavy users.

v0id
20-08-2005, 00:04
the reason behind the crappy upload speeds, is that they want to discourage the running of webservers.. and it was against the AUP when I first signed up way back when.

Chris W
20-08-2005, 00:17
the reason behind the crappy upload speeds, is that they want to discourage the running of webservers.. and it was against the AUP when I first signed up way back when.

Urm... actually it is nothing to do with that. It is due to the nature of how a cable network operates. think of any cable company in the world and compare their download to upload speeds- upload is always significantly lower.

too late at night to give a proper technical explanation for it, so if you want one.... www.google.co.uk :p:

Ignition
20-08-2005, 09:39
Urm... actually it is nothing to do with that. It is due to the nature of how a cable network operates. think of any cable company in the world and compare their download to upload speeds- upload is always significantly lower.

too late at night to give a proper technical explanation for it, so if you want one.... www.google.co.uk :p:

Significantly but not as much as 10Mbit / 384k - this is the price of being unlimited to be honest, people cane upload more than down and they are struggling a bit under the uploading load as it is.

andymt
20-08-2005, 09:46
to be honest with you, it is logical to have faster d/load speeds, as unless u want to run a webserver, or r some really illegal torrent/p2p user, generally u d/load more than u upload??

except oline gaming i suppose.

MikeV
20-08-2005, 23:02
Significantly but not as much as 10Mbit / 384k - this is the price of being unlimited to be honest, people cane upload more than down and they are struggling a bit under the uploading load as it is.
Come on. Everyone knows Blueyonder would never announce it if they couldn't cope with it. It's common sense.

SMHarman
21-08-2005, 10:47
to be honest with you, it is logical to have faster d/load speeds, as unless u want to run a webserver, or r some really illegal torrent/p2p user, generally u d/load more than u upload??

except oline gaming i suppose.It is logical, but you really see how much slower it is when you upload many hi-res photos onto something like shutterfly.

It tooke me about 4 hours to upload the last 200 or so (at 2Mb each), for those concerned about being a considerate web user, I set it off and went to bed. Also because I could not do anything else as it was overloading the upstream.

Ignition
21-08-2005, 12:39
Come on. Everyone knows Blueyonder would never announce it if they couldn't cope with it. It's common sense.

Agreed regarding upload which is why it's only 384k on a 10Mbit product.

Although unless they've crystal balls they can only guess on network load, a few places suffered and some are still suffering after the last set of upgrades.

It's not unknown for Telwest to temporarily upgrade network areas that weren't suitable for the upgrades in question, resulting in alleviating congestion but also in cutting some people off completely until they had had engineer calls as their network areas were unable to handle the upgrades.

Just something to think about.

ian@huth
21-08-2005, 12:47
One problem with higher speeds is that some of the heavy users may be satisfied with a couple of hundred gig per month and not care about the affect on other users in getting it at peak times. Get in from work at 6:00pm and start off a download queue which even if it goes through slow can easily catch up later when other users go offline because their connection is unusable.

Chrysalis
21-08-2005, 13:14
I was doing some transfers yesterday data backup between server's and it was going at approx 7mbit, the ack traffic was 45kB/sec. The traffic was SCP so the encryption may have added overhead but it looks like 384kbit may be pushing it.

Ignition
21-08-2005, 15:24
I was doing some transfers yesterday data backup between server's and it was going at approx 7mbit, the ack traffic was 45kB/sec. The traffic was SCP so the encryption may have added overhead but it looks like 384kbit may be pushing it.

384 is fine for 10Mbit from the ACK POV. Really pants from the point of view of the huge asymettry but fine for ACKs, no real pushing it involved.

andymt
21-08-2005, 15:33
if you did want to start a webserver, or needed very high upload speed,

what would do?
just interested.

also how to companies who manage servers get a connection to the net?

ian@huth
22-08-2005, 10:18
Dedicated symmetrical lines

andymt
22-08-2005, 11:55
u mean normal asdl except with a contention ration of 1:1 instead of 50:1 meaning the 1 user can get high speeds?

But, the dload speed would still be faster than upload.
server companies i think use sdsl were the up is the same as down??

eshaq786
22-08-2005, 12:41
server companies dont use sdsl. They often house their servers at data centres which are connected by ethernet or fibre to internet exchanges such as the one in london (London Internet Exchange or something like that). Thats how the server companies get fast speeds. You could even get a server there for a price.

andymt
22-08-2005, 15:33
apparently if you ring tw you can get an eta of the upgrades in your region.

havent rung yet but will.
If anyone finds out when they will get upgraded, post it here!
I assume they will do all different upgrades upgrades in the same region at once?

cara08
23-08-2005, 19:34
i spoke to someone at Telewest customer services today and was told my BroadBand will be upgraded from 1meg to 4meg by the middle of next month staying at £25pm

Chris W
23-08-2005, 19:37
you pay £25 for 1meg :O ouch!

cara08
23-08-2005, 19:49
yes it`s been £25 since i first had BB and it was 512, i`ll be paying £25 for 4 meg soon tho.

andymt
23-08-2005, 20:39
so u just rang them up and they told u that?
i might do that.
did u tell them yr region, or is it the same for everywhere?

cara08
23-08-2005, 21:10
yes i called and asked when we were getting the upgrade, just had to give my postcode and they told me it could be as early as next week, but by the middle of sept for my area

Chrysalis
23-08-2005, 22:02
you pay £25 for 1meg :O ouch!

Well hes paying for content as well as speed, he isnt bound to 30gig.

andymt
29-08-2005, 10:06
"I don't want to alarm anyone, but my friend's dad said he had an email about the speed increases, claiming that they (blueyonder) would increase the speeds for a month or two and then put them back down again, asking customers to pay if they want to keep the faster speed.

I do realise that the blueyonder page has no mention of this and it could be just a rumour, but can anyone say for sure that this isn't true?"

Found this on digitalspy blueyonder forums.
Any truth?

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
30-08-2005, 11:30
Found this on digitalspy blueyonder forums.
Any truth?

You already had several responses there... do you not look at the user names and realise a % of users are reg'd on both forums and you will get the same response here as you do there?

I have followed every upgrade on BY for about the last 5-6 years and have never had them change an offer once available - except where it is quite clearly promoted as a limited/temporary offer.

I think Trading Standards/Advertising Standards would have had a few things to say if they had done this - and the press would have had a field day ripping them apart!!

andymt
01-09-2005, 09:10
well there is no update to the evenfaster page yet, although i assume every1 nos that-they are all using the post on digitalspy as it is better at the moment!

hey everyone look at telewest website loads of new stuff there as far as speed upgrade is concerned.

"regional upgrade commencing from 20 september"

alkenstein
01-09-2005, 12:04
from ignition:
384 is fine for 10Mbit from the ACK POV. Really pants from the point of view of the huge asymettry but fine for ACKs, no real pushing it involved.

I'm curious, any idea how many Kbits of the 384Kbit upload bandwidth used by other apps would start having a negative impact on the 10Mbit download speed due to lack of upload bandwidth for ACKs?

andymt
01-09-2005, 12:45
it must b ok, as bt r soon gonna have 8mb, and they will keep the standard upload speed of 256.

384 is ok, although i do agree when ppl say that because its cable, not dsl, and telewest can cope, maybe they should have upload speed of 512.

The only reason they dont is cuz the vast majority of ppl, when they look to by bb they look at downspeed. Upstream speed does not usually come into the equation.

Ignition
01-09-2005, 19:48
from ignition:

I'm curious, any idea how many Kbits of the 384Kbit upload bandwidth used by other apps would start having a negative impact on the 10Mbit download speed due to lack of upload bandwidth for ACKs?

Depends what you are using to download, if http more is needed, if newsgroups with multiple connections less, if P2P less still as 10mbit of download with tons of p2p connections will use a good slice of the 384k.

Piece of string question really.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
01-09-2005, 22:38
well there is no update to the evenfaster page yet, although i assume every1 nos that-they are all using the post on digitalspy as it is better at the moment!

hey everyone look at telewest website loads of new stuff there as far as speed upgrade is concerned.

"regional upgrade commencing from 20 september"

Why is your page different from mine?? "Regional upgrading of our networks takes place from the end of September" :confused:

barri
07-09-2005, 01:46
o yer i carnt wait

manic marauder
15-09-2005, 15:24
i want to no when will telewest start and upgrade to the north of england i want my 10 meg line and im getting ****ed off with waiting for it

jtwn
15-09-2005, 16:06
Sorry, the world doesn't work that way - they'll give it when they want to give it to you, not when you want.

manic marauder
15-09-2005, 16:30
yer but if us peeps just left them alone nothing would get done at a slower rate

andymt
15-09-2005, 17:03
Sorry, the world doesn't work that way - they'll give it when they want to give it to you, not when you want.

perfectly true. And if you are expecting to be downloading at over 1mbps from every website you come accross think again.
10mb is only useful really if u have a network of say 3 computers....then u will b able to use connection to full extent.

manic marauder
15-09-2005, 17:06
1 mps sounds good to me better than im on now its just telewest release one date then thats cancelled then they release another its about time they stood by a decision

Derek
15-09-2005, 17:38
i want my 10 meg line and im getting ****ed off with waiting for it

I agree. It's terrible that the increase they are giving you (for free) isn't here yet. :dozey:
In fact if I was you I'd cancel my subscription completely and move to another ISP who will give you the 10Meg speed at the same price of Telewest.

Or you could contact Telewest and demand a refund on the cost of the subscription over what you were paying before until you get the 10Meg speed. :rolleyes:

Chrysalis
15-09-2005, 23:32
So what you going to use it for since you in such a big rush?

jamiehavill
16-09-2005, 01:04
surely you are joking!?

i dont know, what will you do with your 10mb? use blueyonders news server and suck alt.bin usenet dry at 1.25 mB /sec :dunce:

Chrysalis
16-09-2005, 03:57
I will do with my 10mbit what I do with my 2mbit, I just feel 10mbit is just something that sounds cool and is over hyped which is why I asked hes so excited about it.

jamiehavill
16-09-2005, 09:22
any news on when these upgrades will be commencing?

Ignition
16-09-2005, 09:46
i want to no when will telewest start and upgrade to the north of england i want my 10 meg line and im getting ****ed off with waiting for it

You're 33 years old (apparently) :) Patience I'm sure is something you can manage some of. Can't see where Telewest have promised anything definitive, and these things can be delayed for various reasons.

Angelus
16-09-2005, 20:49
any news on when these upgrades will be commencing?

Yes from the end of spet 05 till jan 06

Why cant people wait. All this crying is not going to make it happen quicker. Just stfu moaning sit down and wait for the free upgrade. If not there is always DSL where speeds are "UP TO"

manic marauder
16-09-2005, 22:49
i also will do with my 10 meg what i do with my 2 but a little bit quicker so i can do more faster

Angelus
16-09-2005, 23:00
i also will do with my 10 meg what i do with my 2 but a little bit quicker so i can do more faster

that was random

jamiehavill
17-09-2005, 02:20
what? im supposed to kissing blueyonders ass for taking action against the oppositions announcements, and evolving the communications service of the UK, to bring us upto speed with the rest of the world?

i think not. it's there duty. and don't tell me there doing me a favour. i still pay 50 pounds a month for the privlidge of my internet connection. im not saying i should moan --- I choose to do this. all im saying is there getting a sweet deal too. its not for "free". its evolution -_- but wait. i'm a 17 year old school kid. what do i know.

edit:oh, and adsl isn't "availible" in my area. so my only choice of internet due to my mum putting the phone line with telewest is blueyonder. i'm supposed thank them for that?

Angelus
19-09-2005, 12:07
Dont need a phoneline with Telewest to get Broadband :)

Angelus
21-09-2005, 12:04
Reports in Uddington has now got 10mb

Pics below

http://www.batista.co.uk/images/ole2.jpg
http://www.batista.co.uk/images/ole.jpg

andymt
21-09-2005, 17:11
yes many areas have been upgraded.

Ive heard reports london will the last :(

Safeman
21-09-2005, 17:42
Reports in Uddington has now got 10mb

Pics below

http://www.batista.co.uk/images/ole2.jpg
http://www.batista.co.uk/images/ole.jpg is right m8 bet ya buzzing no caps i hear as well shame i cant get Telepest stuck with Nthell wots the upload m8

janipewter
21-09-2005, 21:42
384Kbps.

sav112
21-09-2005, 23:43
I'm on NTl in Glasgow, wow thats an amazing speed. I dont download much at all but im sure games must be fantastic on that speed.

jtwn
22-09-2005, 00:19
Ping times won't be affected, who knows possibly they will, but for the worse for sure. There isn't any mp games that require 3mb, let alone 10mb.

My ping times are relatively the same since 128k BB, thank f00k ntl upgraded us from that /slaps ntl

sav112
22-09-2005, 00:28
I can only imagine that lag in games would be helped by having this kind of speed.

gazzer
22-09-2005, 10:18
unlike some of you peeps, i fully intend to use the whole upstream to its fullest capacity.

as i run an online radio station, and cannot wait to offer a much better sound stream to listeners.

so can anyone say when gloucestershire region will be getting there upgrade done please

jamin100
22-09-2005, 10:44
Yay i have 10 meg . . . . . . . . . .

well at work anyway. Im the ICT Technician at a Primary school in Brmingham and we were upgraded to 10 Meg yesterday. Ok i cant do much with it, but ive still got it. Just thought i'd let you know...

janipewter
22-09-2005, 10:50
Still nothing for me.

Safeman
22-09-2005, 12:41
unlike some of you peeps, i fully intend to use the whole upstream to its fullest capacity.

as i run an online radio station, and cannot wait to offer a much better sound stream to listeners.

so can anyone say when gloucestershire region will be getting there upgrade done please wot radio station is it m8 ill check it out :)

manic marauder
22-09-2005, 17:16
does anyone know how i go about finding out the upgrade schedule

Angelus
22-09-2005, 17:18
There is not one

Not public anyway

manic marauder
22-09-2005, 17:24
i also will be using my bandwidth to its full being an xbox live user :cool:

billyblue
22-09-2005, 17:39
:) :) :) i've got my 10meg yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lanarkshire area of scotland we got the upgrade :)

went onto tucows for a download got 1.17 meg a sec ooooooooooooooooooooooo he he he he he i feel all yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

manic marauder
22-09-2005, 18:13
who else has there upgrade

janipewter
22-09-2005, 18:31
Looks like they haven't done southwest England yet :(

andymt
22-09-2005, 18:34
I agree

I am a londoner, and will announce when i get upgraded, but i dont expect to until 2006

Ignition
22-09-2005, 18:36
i also will be using my bandwidth to its full being an xbox live user :cool:

Nah you aren't getting much of an upstream increase and Live doesn't really stress the downstream at all :)

AtW
22-09-2005, 20:11
:) :) :) i've got my 10meg yeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lanarkshire area of scotland we got the upgrade :)

Congrats, but how exactly did it happen -- did you have to call them, or did they just send you a letter saying that you have been upgraded?!?!?!

Ignition
22-09-2005, 20:45
Congrats, but how exactly did it happen -- did you have to call them, or did they just send you a letter saying that you have been upgraded?!?!?!

They didn't send him anything his modem lost connection and when it came back it was on 10Mbit ;)

billyblue
22-09-2005, 21:07
thats how it happend :) oh i still cant stop going yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaa

manic marauder
22-09-2005, 21:40
i no but my gaming will improve and be better than it is nowNah you aren't getting much of an upstream increase and Live doesn't really stress the downstream at all :)

killsta
22-09-2005, 23:56
i no but my gaming will improve and be better than it is now

Not likely.

Dave Stones
23-09-2005, 09:52
i just got a letter from telewest this morning announcing the new upgrade in my area over the "next few months" :)

Mick
23-09-2005, 10:06
Scotland 1st To Get 10MB Telewest Broadband Speed Boost (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/196/scotland-1st-to-get-10mb-telewest-broadband-speed-boost)

bob2shay
23-09-2005, 11:48
here guys look at this.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/status/maintenance.do;jsessionid=BDDFFA7A824923230CB7EB5A 0593E9D7.jsps304p:28009

gazzer
23-09-2005, 12:26
hi sozzz missed your request for radio info......
http://gazzer-fm.no-ip.org:8000/ to listen in via media player or anything that will play an url
http://gazzer-fm.no-ip.org to do requests direct onto my radio setup.

bob2shay
23-09-2005, 17:27
or also here shows what areas and when.

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_evenfaster

v0id
23-09-2005, 21:15
or also here shows what areas and when.

gah ... Not even on the list yet

janipewter
23-09-2005, 22:29
gah ... Not even on the list yet

Me neither, and my connection has been playing up really bad this month too. I'm ****ed off at that.

Dunk01
28-09-2005, 12:28
:mad: Bah humbug - Bradford area's not on the list yet - typical!

ho hum......:rolleyes:

manic marauder
29-09-2005, 13:19
got my upgrade letter but still no date yet but it wont be long lads

cutie pie
29-09-2005, 13:26
i'm meant to have mine but getting noting but hassle instead :(

andymt
29-09-2005, 16:49
i just got 4mb!!!!!
yipee!!!

cara08
29-09-2005, 18:49
Had my upgrade letter this week, not on the list yet tho :(

Ignition
30-09-2005, 14:43
Friend in Croydon has been upgraded, however it's looking a bit ominous as the best he can get right now (14:40, certainly not peak time for home users) is 5Mbit.

Possibly rushed the product out to try and compete with Be, UKOnline, Bulldog, etc?

EDIT: Ignore me, he's now receiving a clean 10Mbit. Blip maybe.

Chrysalis
30-09-2005, 15:00
Ignition this could turn out like when demon rolled out 2mbit to their 512kbit users. Where peak time speeds lower then previous due to heavy downloaders hogging more bandwidth between them.

ufitm
03-10-2005, 16:15
got my upgrade letter but still no date yet but it wont be long lads
Have not even had that yet

Dunk01
04-10-2005, 10:00
ive had no upgrade letter too....damn them..although there were alot of Telewest vans at the exchange boxs, in 4 streets near me all day yesterday, so maybe this is a good sign, or just winding me up!

danielf
04-10-2005, 11:49
I received an upgrade letter. It said the new speeds were rolled out over the coming months, so it may be a while still.

Safeman
04-10-2005, 11:56
now you see y NTHELL are merging with Telepest get things moveing faster for future customers

Chrysalis
05-10-2005, 00:46
umm dont you mean slower :)

janipewter
05-10-2005, 08:12
I also had my letter last week, but no sign of us getting upgraded in the near future.

gazzer
06-10-2005, 07:34
humbug, no upgrade in cotswolds area till end of november.......merger be complete by then!!!!!!!

orangebird
06-10-2005, 11:23
humbug, no upgrade in cotswolds area till end of november.......merger be complete by then!!!!!!!

Erm, I don't think so.... It's going to take at least 3 months just to get shareholder and commission agreement....

janipewter
07-10-2005, 14:56
I'm in Plymouth but my exchange is in Nailsea, does this mean I'll get the speedboost when Nailsea is upgraded, or do I have to wait for them to do Plymouth?

nn012
07-10-2005, 15:40
I'm in Plymouth but my exchange is in Nailsea, does this mean I'll get the speedboost when Nailsea is upgraded, or do I have to wait for them to do Plymouth?

The whole south west will get upgraded together, as it says on the evenfaster page youre due the upgrade end of november

jtwn
07-10-2005, 17:09
If you are talking about BT telephone exchanges, that isn't even relevant; your cable is not connected to a telephone exchange.

rhyang
07-10-2005, 17:13
so any one know when cwmbran / newport will get the upgrade??

janipewter
08-10-2005, 12:05
If you are talking about BT telephone exchanges, that isn't even relevant; your cable is not connected to a telephone exchange.

No, I mean the reverse DNS on my BY ip is 80-235-136-131.cable.ubr08.nail.blueyonder.co.uk, so I'm guessing that means my exchange or something is in Nailsea, meaning I will benefit from the upgrade when Nailsea gets it.

Dunk01
08-10-2005, 13:04
cant get any sense out of Telewest for my region, BRADFORD - anyone know any different?

Pali
12-10-2005, 10:00
I've read this whole thread and it seems London has received the 4mbit increase, but is yet to receive the 10mbit increase (what I'm waiting for). Can anyone else confirm this?

Angelus
12-10-2005, 10:02
I've read this whole thread and it seems London has received the 4mbit increase, but is yet to receive the 10mbit increase (what I'm waiting for). Can anyone else confirm this?

Parts of London have had the upgrade. Not all

ufitm
12-10-2005, 10:56
Does any one know when the midlands area (not the birmingham area)

is likely to be done last week i was told by customer service my
area would be done in a couple of weeks , but it does not yet show on
the even faster page.

Angelus
12-10-2005, 10:58
Does any one know when the midlands area (not the birmingham area)

is likely to be done last week i was told by customer service my
area would be done in a couple of weeks , but it does not yet show on
the even faster page.

There is no date yet for the other parts of the Midlands.

Ignition
12-10-2005, 12:47

Considering that Cwmbran and Newport are ntl areas I don't think Telewest will be able to assist you with that one ;)

v0id
12-10-2005, 18:21
rumour in the newsgroups is that the rest of the midlands (Dudley, Solihull, Wolverhampton, Walsall) will be around Feb '06

andymt
12-10-2005, 19:39
Parts of London have had the upgrade. Not all

im on 10mb-
Download Failed (1)

Yes. some parts have been upgraded. check the by evenfaster page. im mortlake (upgraded end of sep)

RoNa7dO
12-10-2005, 21:13
man ur so lucky :)
me ntl customer hav to wait another year :(

Pali
13-10-2005, 02:12
Yeah, grats on the upgrade. Can't see anything that looks like my area on the list (Camden). They said end of October when I signed up last month, guess not.

gazzer
13-10-2005, 06:38
i was in cymbran yesterday.......and customers of mine say no upgrades announced from ntl as yet.

RoNa7dO
13-10-2005, 12:11
im on 10mb-
http://andymt.co.uk/10mb.jpg

Yes. some parts have been upgraded. check the by evenfaster page. im mortlake (upgraded end of sep)

hey mate i want to kno wat upload speed do you get when you are sending some1 a file..
:angel:

manic marauder
13-10-2005, 13:14
ive heard yorkhire area aint gonna get there upgrade until jan can anyone confirm this

hi angelous
dont no mate still waiting to hear about yorkhire area heard it wont be until next year january hope not want it before then soz mate

Dunk01
13-10-2005, 17:25
I just changed my package to include SkySports, so when I was on I asked them when my area (bradford) was likley to get it.

She found out for me, and said Yorkshire is due to be upgraded by 20th Dec, but probably not before.

manic marauder
13-10-2005, 18:56
I just changed my package to include SkySports, so when I was on I asked them when my area (bradford) was likley to get it.

She found out for me, and said Yorkshire is due to be upgraded by 20th Dec, but probably not before.

cheers mate for the info;)

J.D
21-10-2005, 08:25
WooHoo got my 10 meg service today. It's not on the blueyonder showcase website as completed yet and I hope thats why I'm not getting my ten meg top speeds yet. Most I've had is 1.02mb/s about 8.14Mb. And my upload is not at full blow either. I have always had my full speed with my 2 meg service and after seeing some of the people's ten meg speeds on Cable Forum I'd like to have the same. Do you think because it hasn't been put up as completed that I might be having teething problems? I've only been in the door for like 25 minutes so I've not really had the chance to test it properly. Are these sites recommended for speed tests and is there any more?

1 more WooHoo:D :p: :omg: :woot:

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php

http://myspeed.visualware.com/

http://www.adslguide.org/tools/speedtest.asp

andymt
21-10-2005, 09:17
that download speed is as fast as u'll get.
dunno about the upload speed. i get full.

adslguide is the best

J.D
21-10-2005, 10:34
Whats your fastest speed Andymt?

andymt
21-10-2005, 21:07
if downloading from a REALLY fast server, ie my friends dedi, hosted in UK with a dedicated 100mbps connection,
i might hit 1.6mbps as a burst on internet explorer and then settle at about 1.15mbps or maybe 1.2 if it is off peak (but this is extremely rare) (usually much less) but it shows at least that the problem aint my connection, but due to the nature of the internet. if i can hit 1.6mbps as a burst my connection has nothing wrong!!

however with firefox the burst seems to start at 7mbps or more!!
lol downloading from bog standard crammed us server id be lucky to hit 300kbps!
speed tests give me wierd results-from 2mps to 8mbps.
if u wanna test burst speed-use this (from friends dedi server)
http://andymt.co.uk/divx.exe

lol visit http://andymt.co.uk (http://andymt.co.uk/) whilst yr at it.
if u wanna test a bit of streaming, go to http://andymt.co.uk/test.avi
or, if u wanna download a 4.5 mb file from the fastest server in the UK, go to
http://uk.clook.net/ (beware it goes in a flash)
make sure u try all these downloads at off peak times (prefferably middle of night) and close all applications like limewire, msn, bittorrent etc...
oh yeh, http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/ is good if you think your broadband connection might be slow, it identifies problems with speed and configuration and gives you some technical things to tell telewest should you need to ring them.
hope this helps

oh yeh and upload speeds?

uploadin to that fast dedi server i mentioned i usually get about 44kbps (quite good i think)
and on upload speed tests i always get around 380kbps (excellent)

alkenstein
21-10-2005, 23:06
I believe the burst in IE or firefox is because as soon as you do "save as" it starts downloading right away. Once you've selected the filename and pressed save it continues downloading from where it has reached, and that skews the KB per second reading - this levels out after a while.

We got our 10Mb last night at 1am. This morning it was doing 9000Kbps on the adslguide speedtest, but since then it's gone down to as low as 1.5Mb and peaking at about 3Mb (I tried lots of times). Hope it's a hiccup!

Chrysalis
22-10-2005, 05:19
opera and firefox will start with very high bursts if you take a long time to choose where to put the file, if I wanted to I could do a screenshot now of opera showing me on 10mbit speeds :)

J.D
22-10-2005, 08:17
Cheers Andymt ;)

Hey hey. This all seems more stable today. As i said before it might be because it isn't showing up as completed on the Blueyonder Showcase page so it might be still getting tweaked and sorted for Edinburgh at the moment.

As in burst speeds on that link you gave me Andymt (thankyou =D) I got 1.20mb/s but It was rising when downloading but 6-7 seconds wasn't long enough to get a true reading. Any chance of maybe asking your friend to put a bigger file on just for a few days? Sorry for asking but it's the fastest download I've seen so far unless anyone else knows differently?. I'm getting between 7.6 to 8.35 Mb as my line speed today but yesterday I was getting from 2 - 8 meg but it was mostly 5 meg and under. Thats why I'm thinking that Telewest are still sorting it and it's not showing up as completed on there page. I know you said it was the fastest I'll get Andymt bu't my lines changed again overnight and my uploads have went from 17.5 kb/s to 39 kb/s. I'll wait till it comes up completed before making too many judgements just now. When it is completed I will phone up Telewest to find out everything as Telewest have always gave me full speeds (253 kb/s downstream with my 2 meg line with 30.4 kb/s upstream) I do want faster because of seeing other people's speeds but I'll be happy if this is the end result as I'm not far off it and by your true speeds (after bursts) Andymt I'm not that much different.

It's quite funny as my 2 friends are on Bulldog 8meg and UK Online 8 meg and they only get 750kb/s Downstream (Bulldog plus less than 1/4 mile from exchange) and 850kb/s Downstream (UK Online same distance but in Brummieland)

Just a wait for the completed rollout over Edinburgh now!

Thanks again Andymt for that link

andymt
22-10-2005, 09:15
Cheers Andymt ;)

As in burst speeds on that link you gave me Andymt (thankyou =D) I got 1.20mb/s but It was rising when downloading but 6-7 seconds wasn't long enough to get a true reading. Any chance of maybe asking your friend to put a bigger file on just for a few days?

ok what ive done is put that 40mb stream avi file into a html page so-
right click,save target as and it'll download. its 40mb so it should last a little longer. now is the time i wish i had 1mb up!!
http://andymt.co.uk/test.html

oh yeh and if u aren't already use ie as its more accurate if u wanna judge speeds!

oh yeh and if yr looking for some good quality hosting for yourself check out

http://fantastic-hosting.com ;)

alkenstein
22-10-2005, 11:08
Andy with that test file I got between 350K and 850K sec fluctuating,

however downloading from blueyonder servers gets a better speed (and constant) ^^

http://psycle.free.fr/alk/test/download.PNG

I was downloading pcguard from the following address:

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=services_pcguard_download

http://psycle.free.fr/alk/test/download.png

andymt
22-10-2005, 11:19
yeh that file is fast...

hmmm on the file i gave i get fast speeds... forefox is innacurate however as it downloads file whilst you select the loaction.

Download Failed (1)
same server but faster speeds on smaller file?? LOL

yeh yr right.. the other file seems to be slower:
Download Failed (1)
and you are correct the blueyonder pcguard install file downloads very fast.
however 973kbps is still fine for a 10mb connection. lol only 27kbps away from 1mbps

Enuff
22-10-2005, 11:59
however 973kbps is still fine for a 10mb connection. lol only 27kbps away from 1mbps if i get 360K with the 3mb, you should be getting around 1200Kps with 10mb connection... I cant wait for manchester to get it!... btw, what upload speeds u getting? :D

andymt
22-10-2005, 12:36
hmm..upload speed? 362kbps from visualware

if i get 360K with the 3mb, you should be getting around 1200Kps with 10mb connection...
honestly it doesn't work like that. i got 260kbps on 2mb and dont get the full speed on 10mbps. (i almost do)

Ignition
22-10-2005, 14:36
yeh that file is fast...

hmmm on the file i gave i get fast speeds... forefox is innacurate however as it downloads file whilst you select the loaction.

http://fantastic-hosting.com/1.jpg
same server but faster speeds on smaller file?? LOL

yeh yr right.. the other file seems to be slower:
http://fantastic-hosting.com/2.jpg
however 973kbps is still fine for a 10mb connection. lol only 27kbps away from 1mbps

None of those speeds are valid dude you need to let it settle down which you won't get out of 1 second of download :(

hmm..upload speed? 362kbps from visualware

honestly it doesn't work like that. i got 260kbps on 2mb and dont get the full speed on 10mbps. (i almost do)

BY 2Mbit was capped at 2148kbps, not 2048kbps.

Won't see full 1200k out of 10Mbit due to overheads, receive windows and other wonderful esoteric stuff.

Chrysalis
23-10-2005, 15:07
better tests are ftp of a linux mirror or something. Much more accurate and outside blueyonder's network.

J.D
23-10-2005, 17:00
My connection is less than a 512 line now!!!!! I must have been right about the connection getting tweaked and sorted before as it's still not showing as completed in the http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_evenfaster webpage. Hopefully soon I can get to use my net. I'm in a Call Of Duty clan and play Pro Evolution 4 Online and I can't play at all the now :'( Boo bleeping hoo. 40kb/s download speed im getting on ADSL speed test with 17.6kb/s uploads. But when trying Andymt's 40 meg file im still getting 200 - 400 kb/s and with PC Guard on blueyonder page I'm getting 257kb/s. It's all gone pete tong!!!!!! Only one week to go till completion hopefully