PDA

View Full Version : ntl Confirms 10Mb Broadband Speed Increase

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Marloe
07-08-2005, 11:54
From an article in todays Mail on Sunday finance section.

Cable giant NTL will announce tomorrow that it's 1.9 million broadband customers are to get a service of ten megabits a second, the UK's fastest consumer internet service.
Announced with the annual result's, the service will be rolled out to all NTL customers, starting with those signed up to its current fastest rate, three megabits a second - a measure of the amount of the information delivered through the cables. There will be no price rise, but customers will pay different rates depending on how much is downloaded, says Bill Goodland, NTL's internet director.
At the new speed, it will take eight seconds for a full CD of music from a service such as iTunes and only minuets for a whole feature film to download.

Sounds good to me :)

andygrif
07-08-2005, 11:58
Hmmm...a cautious welcome from me - I need to see the full details before saying it's a good thing - plus I would rather Goodland spent a little more time worrying about the current problems rather than creating new ones!

Nikko
07-08-2005, 12:20
Excellent news - a quick bit of googling would seem to authenticate it: Here (http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=402821&in_page_id=2)

IanUK
07-08-2005, 12:28
Hmm, don't like the sound of 'different rates' - I wonder if we can stay on our existing speed and package ?

Would be cool if there is an unlimited top package though !
I think the Proxies will melt at 10mb !

handyman
07-08-2005, 12:31
Well done ntl this really will be the dogs. Just a damn shame that I am no longer in a ntl area, I'm sure bop will tell me how good it is though. :cry:

Ignition
07-08-2005, 12:44

Hell, chance, a, not, in. Rearrange.

On 10Mbit you could download 100GB a day, 3TB in a 30 day month, and you can pretty much guarantee some complete w***er would do just that to load up his market stall / just because he can.

Earwig
07-08-2005, 12:44
Sounds VERY good to me.

The only thing that worries me is the bit that says you might get charged depending on how much you download.....

ian@huth
07-08-2005, 12:56
Sounds VERY good to me.

The only thing that worries me is the bit that says you might get charged depending on how much you download.....What is better though? A 3mbit connection with a 30 gig per month limit or a 10mbit connection with a charge for usage over 30 gig per month?

jtwn
07-08-2005, 13:00
Give me.....300gb allowance and I'll kiss Goodlands feet, give me 30 and I'll jump on them. I remember reading something about speed increases to deaden the fall of the cap, I hope it not be a harsh one.

I thought that ntl:home had 1.4 million bb customers, or is that minus the ADSL isps?

Monster Jedi
07-08-2005, 13:00
If the download charges are stupid.I will can tv phone the lot

Earwig
07-08-2005, 13:03
What is better though? A 3mbit connection with a 30 gig per month limit or a 10mbit connection with a charge for usage over 30 gig per month?

Tough choices :)

I would rather they go for packeges with differing Quotas per month. That way you could choose your tier rather than being told THIS is the limit.....

Failing that just give a nice High cap that only the Market sellers would hit. If they do give a pretty high cap of say 4-500GB per month then they must be farely strict on it.

No news yet on upload speeds but it goes without saying that these will heve to bu upped aswell. Hopefully to 1mbit or maybe higher?

Whatever the case is I don't think prices will be to high because with all the LLU going on 8MB speeds are becoming more and more available accross the U.K and NTL will need to keep within reach of them on price. It seems if this goes ahead they will have them beaten for speed.............

But there are still rumours of tests on 24Mbit through ADSL so I hope they do not take to long to roll out this 10Mbit or when they do they will be playing catch up again.....

Just how fast can this Cable go?? What is the limit of it? Could they match 24Mbit and beyond?

ian@huth
07-08-2005, 13:13
If the download charges are stupid.I will can tv phone the lotYou have three different services and logically should look at each in isolation when deciding the supplier to use. Why drop TV and phone because of an issue over broadband charges? If you have decided that NTL is the best supplier for you of TV and phone then dropping them would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face. You should wait and see what terms and conditions are in force before coming to a decision. If you are getting more than a 3mbit connection with at least a 30 gig per month usage allowance then you are getting a better deal than you are on at the moment, no matter what the charges are for usage above the allowance. Some people are never satisfied no matter what is given to them.

icanadvise
07-08-2005, 13:51
I would rather Goodland spent a little more time worrying about the current problems rather than creating new ones!
Fair point but according to this http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=30588 it seems to be Peter Wilcock who is responsible for/worrying about Operational problems

Tragedy
07-08-2005, 13:58
What the upload gonna be,we gamers want to know?
i would be happy with 4MB and 750k-1MB upload.:D

Roy MM
07-08-2005, 14:04
Hope the 2m customers get an increase pro rata.

IanUK
07-08-2005, 14:40
Originally Posted by IanUK

Hell, chance, a, not, in. Rearrange.

On 10Mbit you could download 100GB a day, 3TB in a 30 day month, and you can pretty much guarantee some complete w***er would do just that to load up his market stall / just because he can.

Heh, yes I can see that, maybe unlimited is a pipedream, but lets hope reasonable limits prevail, something akin to UKOnlines (500 gig a month I think for their 8 meg service) or it won't be very cheap come the BBC's P2P service (I'm signed up to test it soon)

cheers

Ian

ntl customer
07-08-2005, 14:51
Give me.....300gb allowance and I'll kiss Goodlands feet, give me 30 and I'll jump on them. I remember reading something about speed increases to deaden the fall of the cap, I hope it not be a harsh one.

Yes, 10Mbit with 30Gb cap. Bit of a non starter, isn't it? ;)

A high cap such as 500Gb would probably suit most users - after all who has the space to fill up a few hard drives every month?

At the new speed, it will take eight seconds for a full CD of music from a service such as iTunes and only minuets for a whole feature film to download

Perhaps it's about time that iTunes et al ditched their horrible DRM infested low quality lossy downloads and started distributing high quality wave/aiff files? That'd be the day I start buying downloadable music. ;)

bilal
07-08-2005, 14:55
well im on 2mb and have to say 10mbit with a 30gb cap is going to make me say bye to ntl. I cant see them leaving the cap at 30gb as they are increasing the speed 5 times. Logically the cap should be increased 5 times :) but as i cant see his happening i think it should at least be 100gb for the 2mb ppl.

A strange way to make a speed increase, everyone gets 10mbit but depending on how fair they are on the caps this could either make them loose a lot of business or gain a lot of business :( dont let us down ntl

cookie_365
07-08-2005, 15:07
When I saw that speed increases were afoot I did wonder how long it'd be before people here at CF started whining about them ..... ;)

cnewton2k
07-08-2005, 15:10
how much truth is there in these rumours?

does anyone actually believe that everyone on 3 meg will be upgraded tomorrow for free

IanUK
07-08-2005, 15:14
I don't think we will be upgraded tomorrow (shame!) only that the announcement might be made (if the news story is true) - it will probably take months to implement.

cnewton2k
07-08-2005, 15:20
i agree there, but if you look at the ntl serivce staus page they have just upgraded the broadband network throughtout the entire country, so maybe it could be possible.

I know they do need to do something to keep ahead, LLU is becoming more and more popular with ISP and as such they are now able to offer much higher speeds, and given the fact that BT is going to launch its 8 meg services in the next coming months, i think NTL will use this time to pip BT to the post

jtwn
07-08-2005, 15:36
Outside of Eastern Asia, is there any ISP that offers 10mbit or higher to 2m customers?

cnewton2k
07-08-2005, 15:41
some in sweden i think

Ignition
07-08-2005, 15:52
Outside of Eastern Asia, is there any ISP that offers 10mbit or higher to 2m customers?

Plenty that offer 10mbit:

http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se
http://www.cogeco.ca
http://www.optonline.net/
http://www.rcn.com
http://www.freenews.fr/idf.php?itemid=884
http://broadbandsales.optusnet.com.au/
http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp
http://www.chello.com/

Don't know about customer numbers though.

andygrif
07-08-2005, 15:53
I don't think we will be upgraded tomorrow (shame!) only that the announcement might be made (if the news story is true) - it will probably take months to implement.

Or "coming soon" as the old saying goes :LOL:

SmellyKipper
07-08-2005, 15:57
The News of this Massive speed increase is welcomed by me :)

The only thing is i`m on 1mb, that means it`ll take me minutes to hit my 3gb Speed Cap :Yikes:

Looks like NTL have implemented the usage counters into their system to monitor what bandwidth is being used by which peson and so can now charge per mb/gb.

Hopefully there will be a good cap on 2mb and 3mb speeds, I can`t see them allowing 10mb but only 30 gig a month cap.

jellybaby
07-08-2005, 16:01
:welcome: to CF Smellykipper

migz
07-08-2005, 16:01
If its going to be anyhting like they have it in australia you pay a monthly fee for a Cap, you go over the cap you get "shaped" down to 128k

SmellyKipper
07-08-2005, 16:04
:welcome: to CF Smellykipper

Cheers :beer:

slowcoach
07-08-2005, 16:04
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=27757

Yawn..... ;)

etccarmageddon
07-08-2005, 16:05
the barstewards!!!! I just got them to give me 1mb for £9.99 a month and now they go and do this!

Richard M
07-08-2005, 16:07
the barstewards!!!! I just got them to give me 1mb for £9.99 a month and now they go and do this!

Who said they "did this"?
This is just a rumour.

slowcoach
07-08-2005, 16:16
Now you see why Retentions were so eager to hold on to customers, anyone for leaving now?
Hey and the chances are I will GET 10Mbt unlike hit and miss ADSL. :Yikes:
ntl IS Broadband Britain.
Just watercooling the modem as we speak!

Of course the members who are always ready to put ntl down are noticeable by their absence from this thread.. ;)

etccarmageddon
07-08-2005, 16:26
give it time, I'm sure someone will find a reason to moan!

Richard M
07-08-2005, 16:26
Just watercooling the modem as we speak!

Quote of the day! :D
Sums it up nicely I think.

IanUK
07-08-2005, 16:39
I wonder if upload speed will increase ?

Ignition
07-08-2005, 16:40
Take WAY more than watercooling *passes the liquid nitrogen and retreats to a safe distance....

I wonder if upload speed will increase ?

Kinda has to, couldn't get 10Mbit on 300k upstream :D

Bill C
07-08-2005, 16:42
give it time, I'm sure someone will find a reason to moan!

:LOL:

Have my deck chair out.
Cold beer on the table next to it.

Now waiting for the first moan, winge, knock down .

Then its :sniper: :sniper:

:LOL: :angel:

:Sprint:

AndrewJ
07-08-2005, 16:46
Another link to this news

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=402821&in_page_id=2

So is this offical or just random rumors?

Earwig
07-08-2005, 16:48
Did any NTL workers here have any idea about this??

If so WHY DID YOU KEEP IT FROM US!!!

Seems a pretty big jump in speeds though? Can it be acheived on the network that has to cope with so many customers?

Mal
07-08-2005, 16:50

Have my deck chair out.
Cold beer on the table next to it.

Now waiting for the first moan, winge, knock down .

Then its :sniper: :sniper:

:LOL: :angel:

:Sprint:I'd say that you've already missed the first one on page 2... ;) :D

Plus, I'd would have thought it would be better to wait and see what is announced officially, before people moan.

AndrewJ
07-08-2005, 16:55
Well all we have is random rumors then?

Ignition
07-08-2005, 16:57

Seems a pretty big jump in speeds though? Can it be acheived on the network that has to cope with so many customers?

1) No comment.

2) Do you post confidential information about your employer on public message boards? No? There you go :)

3) Have you been reading the service status? Have a looksie at the weekly maintenance looooads of upgrading done locally, core network has loads of capacity spare.

Bill C
07-08-2005, 16:58

Seems a pretty big jump in speeds though? Can it be achieved on the network that has to cope with so many customers?

I am subject to the same NDA that all NTL employees are subject to :)

Mal
07-08-2005, 17:00
Well all we have is random rumors then?
Well the link that you provided doesn't really give out the full details. It just said that there is going to be an announcement tomorrow, so anything else, like the caps, is just supposition.

Hans Gruber
07-08-2005, 17:00
3) Have you been reading the service status? Have a looksie at the weekly maintenance looooads of upgrading done locally, core network has loads of capacity spare.

Peterborough never seems to get a mention on that service status page. Do we still have plenty of bandwidth to go round?

Marge
07-08-2005, 17:05

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :nutter:

Bill C
07-08-2005, 17:08
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :nutter:

Just about sums it up :)

slowcoach
07-08-2005, 17:16
September will be here before we know it, August 7th and counting ;)

As the "Bloke in the Pub" said, way back, the upgrade is intended to please everyone, LOL, a tall order.

"Bloke in the Pub" has just phoned, appears that this is just a stop gap, designed to increase revenue so that work can begin on updating the system to 100Mb/s Ethernet, as is already being rolled out in some areas of the US on trial. Of course, all this isn't being done for the primary benefit of the BB user, the aim is to have a massive VOD selection which ADSL cannot hope to come close to, TV is where the big money is going to come from in the future.

Earwig
07-08-2005, 17:20
What is the minimum upload speed needed to sustain a 10Mbit line??

Are they likely to give us anymore than they need to?

I understand you guys may not be able to say to much but perhaps just a small vague hint?? :angel: :D

Marge
07-08-2005, 17:23

I understand you guys may not be able to say to much but perhaps just a small vague hint?? :angel: :D

I bet you were the kind of child who climbed Mum and Dads wardrobe to find Christmas presents in November cos you just couldn't wait ;)

Ignition
07-08-2005, 17:23

Haven't a Scooby Doo, BT are doing 512k on resi 8Mbit and 768k on business version.

etccarmageddon
07-08-2005, 17:25
Kinda has to, couldn't get 10Mbit on 300k upstream :Dnot sure what you mean by that? are you hinting that upload speed of 300 is also being increased? or are you just a big tease!

jtwn
07-08-2005, 17:29
Plenty that offer 10mbit:

http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se
http://www.cogeco.ca
http://www.optonline.net/
http://www.rcn.com
http://www.freenews.fr/idf.php?itemid=884
http://broadbandsales.optusnet.com.au/
http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/root/package.asp
http://www.chello.com/

Don't know about customer numbers though.

Woo, thats some list. What I meant though, could this mean that ntl would be the biggest ISP in big speeds in the wooooorld (minus asia ;)).

I can just imagine conversations in months time 'What you got, Cable or ADSL?', 'ADSL mate', 'Awww, unlucky' :D

etccarmageddon
07-08-2005, 17:33
it looks like NTL are really turning the corner now - speed increases again and again.... constantly blowing ADSL/BT out of the water and also the £9.99 1mb offer - brilliant stuff. I have to take my hat off to them.

Russ
07-08-2005, 17:44
Eeee, I remember the days when 512k was considered ntl's "top-tier" broadband :D

etccarmageddon
07-08-2005, 17:48
and I remember having a ZX81. bring back the good old days!

ian@huth
07-08-2005, 17:53

I understand you guys may not be able to say to much but perhaps just a small vague hint?? :angel: :DIt all depends on what the connection is being used for.

The main questions being what type of user is the 10mbps aimed at and what applications is it being provided for? I doubt that it is aimed at the p2p market trader. My bet is that it is aimed at video streaming applications.

Earwig
07-08-2005, 18:04
It all depends on what the connection is being used for.

The main questions being what type of user is the 10mbps aimed at and what applications is it being provided for? I doubt that it is aimed at the p2p market trader. My bet is that it is aimed at video streaming applications.

Don't forget the Download movie rentals which are hopefully going to hit it off bigtime!!

I also heard somebody saying something about a P2P from BBC?? No idea what this is?

The point is though if you are downloading at 10Mbit you are gonna need alot more upstream to be able to communicate with wherever you are getting the data from? Am I right in thinking this?

Oh and one last thing.....

What is 10Mbit in KB/s?? 1,100KB/s??

DeadKenny
07-08-2005, 18:09
I wonder if this as a result of their investigations into ADSL over NTL copper?

From what I understood, ADSL gives NTL more chance of delivering high speeds as they can fit equipment very close to the customer and the technology is cheaper (and not subject to the same noise hassles that coax has).

I can't see the coax system managing to keep a stable connection for 10Mbps (it could never deliver a stable connection even at 1Mbps for me).

Anyway, "coming soon" I suspect will be the order of the day here ;)

punky
07-08-2005, 18:10
Eeee, I remember the days when 512k was considered ntl's "top-tier" broadband :D

I remember the days when I had a 9600 baud modem (9.6kbps)

I remember once it took 45 mins to download a 1.5meg file. (I remember cuz I didn't half get some hassle over it from my parents). Nowadays, quite a few of my posts take longer than that, let alone anything else!

Maggy
07-08-2005, 18:16
I still haven't bothered upgrading to the 1MB free upgrade.I think I'd better inquire about it this week. :erm:

IanUK
07-08-2005, 18:21
I also heard somebody saying something about a P2P from BBC?? No idea what this is?

That was me :)

I'm signed up to beta test the new BBC beta P2P style project later this year, they are going to start putting their library onto the net - available to all License payers, thats going to be quite some content !

Although its too early to know yet, I'd hope that the bandwidth provision is generous on the new 10mb service, as otherwise the free P2P service from the Beeb will work out quite costly for NTL customers !

ian@huth
07-08-2005, 18:27
Don't forget the Download movie rentals which are hopefully going to hit it off bigtime!!

The point is though if you are downloading at 10Mbit you are gonna need alot more upstream to be able to communicate with wherever you are getting the data from? Am I right in thinking this?

Oh and one last thing.....

What is 10Mbit in KB/s?? 1,100KB/s??Why should NTL provide free bandwidth for you to download a rental video that they get no income from? They could however provide the same video with the only charge to you being for the bandwidth used to get it to you with all the profit going to NTL rather than a third party.

The amount of upstream required depends on the protocol being used. UDP and RTP would require less upstream bandwidth than TCP.

Earwig
07-08-2005, 18:28
That was me :)

I'm signed up to beta test the new BBC beta P2P style project later this year, they are going to start putting their library onto the net - available to all License payers, thats going to be quite some content !

Although its too early to know yet, I'd hope that the bandwidth provision is generous on the new 10mb service, as otherwise the free P2P service from the Beeb will work out quite costly for NTL customers !

That should be great if it all works out. Just think of the programmes you have access to ! !

Wildlife programmes on demand...
Past Top Gear eps.....
Blue Planet......
Red Dwarf.....

Hope we are allowed the bandwidth to be able to use it effectively.

Oh....Do they need anymore testers?? :angel:

AndrewJ
07-08-2005, 18:45
I still haven't bothered upgrading to the 1MB free upgrade.I think I'd better inquire about it this week. :erm:

Running of this post then ( your STILL on the 300k? ) would it be possible to not pay any upgrade fee and remain on the 2mb while I assess wether I wish to pay more for this new speed?

eshaq786
07-08-2005, 19:30
Heard of telewest trialling 10mb. Didn't even know ntl were already planning a launch. I suspect they will launch together. Wonder if it will be before or after a merger.

Marge
07-08-2005, 19:36
Running of this post then ( your STILL on the 300k? ) would it be possible to not pay any upgrade fee and remain on the 2mb while I assess wether I wish to pay more for this new speed?

Patience little one, nothing has been announced yet, wait and see whats to come ;)

quadplay
07-08-2005, 19:40
What is 10Mbit in KB/s?? 1,100KB/s??

The maximum theoretical download speed possible at a downstream speed of 10Mbps (= 10,000Kbps = 10,000,000bps) is:
10000000 / 1024 * 1460 / 1518 * 1 / 8 = 1174 KB/sec, or just over 1 megabyte per second.

(See http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/speed.html#kilobytes for explanation of maths)

Angua
07-08-2005, 19:50
I shall wait and see, rather than speculate on something I know so little about.

Maggy
07-08-2005, 19:52
Incog wonders how many posts long this thread will finally be.Perhaps we should open a book on it? :)

Richard M
07-08-2005, 19:54

Chill out.

Incog wonders how many posts long this thread will finally be.Perhaps we should open a book on it? :)

I'm betting £20 on 700 posts, which includes the inevitable 400 "cap" posts.

cookie_365
07-08-2005, 20:20
I'm betting £20 on 700 posts, which includes the inevitable 400 "cap" posts.

Only 400? Or did you mean 400 cap threads ??? ;)

Hans Gruber
07-08-2005, 21:05
Heard of telewest trialling 10mb. Didn't even know ntl were already planning a launch. I suspect they will launch together. Wonder if it will be before or after a merger.

Remember this is NTL, announcing doesn't neccessarily mean it's anywhere near ready to offer the service. Apparently cable TV to the Mars space station is coming soon.

Mal
07-08-2005, 21:19
Chill out.

I'm betting £20 on 700 posts, which includes the inevitable 400 "cap" posts.I suppose that this "announcement" will be a good trial for the new mods...see how they handle it ;) :D

Jules
07-08-2005, 21:24
Sounds good to me, I still remeber being on dial up and my phone bill looking like a phone number :eek:

AndrewJ
07-08-2005, 22:25
So hope though that those on 2mb like I am get a decent offer to move upto the new speeds, and that the don't expect us to be paying some stupid extra on our bill.

I for one won't be paying :D will stick to my trusty 2mb until I can be bothered to upgrade. Bigger fish to fry right now with my new house, but by time NTL get around to giving us 10mb likely Japan will beon 30gb bandwith.

Matth
07-08-2005, 22:40
I'm still holding on to 300k, but watching intently - while 1Mbit and a low quota for the same price is NOT an attractive option, I'd be happy to go with £10 + £1 a gig, at a much greater speed - that is, unless the faster speed opens up more things worth using, when NTL will be the happy one!

Downloads
07-08-2005, 23:23
Did someone say this was a stop gap till 100mb Ethernet? I hate to ask someone to spell this out for me but i might faint. There is a chance NTL could provide 100mb connections? Is this what 100mb ethernet is??? *feeling giddy*

jtwn
08-08-2005, 00:07
Who said they were going to give you a choice? I dunno about anybody else, but the speed upgrade of past was just a stepping stone in keeping up high with DSL competition, whereas this is proper restructure of the system.

If the shift everybody up to 10mb with varied allowances, then that will force those who are holding steady on the lower tiers who are deemed to be heavier users to move up or move out. I sure know people who aren't noobass users but don't want to pay extra either.

I couldn't really care about their plight though, I just want be able to be safe with ntl with a nice allowance as opposed to the unrational guidelines they have now or they could lose one of many customers.

Electrolyte01
08-08-2005, 00:37
Hmm, sounds too good to be true. Well, we will find out eventually :)

kronas
08-08-2005, 01:16
ive not read through the threas as yet but i found this:

Recognizing that advanced forms of DSL and, especially fiber-to-the-home deployments are a threat, the cable industry is buzzing about next generation DOCSIS 3.0 technology that will bond four or more 6 MHz channels into a behemoth data pipe capable of delivering 160 Mbps of data to an individual user[/

The speed DOCSIS 3.0 promises - up to 2.5 Gbps downstream to a 20,000-home hub - is really somewhat ridiculous, nearly everyone at the cable gathering concedes, but thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s a reality of a newly competitive space.

http://www.telecommagazine.com/newsglobe/article.asp?Id=AR_866

jtwn
08-08-2005, 02:59
Good link but its not even a standard yet and as I understand, the current modems wouldn't be compliant with that. If they are announcing it now, then its safe to assume it will run on the current system.

Chrysalis
08-08-2005, 03:14
Good news, I would expect this will happen at the time they provide traffic usage graphs for customers and so the soft cap becpmes hard cap but I think the caps will be much higher then current for various reasons.

1 - The burst speed is been raised x5 on the mainstream package and leaving the cap limit unchanged would reflect an imbalance.
2 - Recently one of the major adsl players wannadoo gave free cap increases and is announcing llu upgrades to its network which will probably result in higher caps, this will make ntl (and BT) react with their cap levels.
3 - Other isp's who have caps on a similiar product such as ukonline set their cap levels at 500gig, ukonline recieved quite some publicity so people are aware of what the competition offers.
4 - I think NTL are planning more then just internet on the new infrastructure so it is capable of quite a lot more then previously so can handle higher limits.
5 - A soft cap can be low since noone is really affected by it, when it becomes a hard cap, whilst maximising revenue NTL wont want too many customers to be hitting the cap and making a big noise about those who do hit a low cap.

I expect we will start seeing this in about 6 months then?

hutchy
08-08-2005, 05:05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4749987.stm

There's the story from BBC

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 05:12
Well i think this bit helps:- NTL also said that usage allowances would go up from 30GB to 75GB a month.

Caster
08-08-2005, 06:03
75GB is more then enough for me. :tu:

AndrewJ
08-08-2005, 06:18
Woah hold the press stop the folds.

I pay £24.99 for 2mb per month, and I will get 10mb for no extra cost.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH YEAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deadite66
08-08-2005, 06:20
great there goes my low ping for online gaming

AndrewJ
08-08-2005, 06:30
Ehh won't faster internet with better upload increase performance?

Bill C
08-08-2005, 06:59
great there goes my low ping for online gaming

Why ?

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 07:12
I suppose we will have to wait for the "Bloke in the Pub" to tell us the exact date of the speed increase, this could cost me a fortune in :beer:

How soon before the "I'm back" threads start showing?, methinks Bulldog etc. slipped up with the 1 month contract. oops:

Will ntl be able to cope with the stampede of new customers wanting connection yesterday?

Will ntl start laying more cable again?

So many unanswered questions, god it's so boring waiting for the speed increase...........

deadite66
08-08-2005, 07:21
Why ?

ppl have a habit of filling what ever space gets thrown at them, unless ntl have some heavy duty backend to cope somethings gotta give.

Richard M
08-08-2005, 07:35
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard

etccarmageddon
08-08-2005, 07:37
I wouldn't get too excited about this news - most web sites operate at 2mb so an increase to 10mb will only typically benefit people who want faster music and movie downloads (if the site can do it)?

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 07:53
The new product strategy creates a set of †œup to 10Mb as standardââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚ cable broadband products with different bandwidth options to match usage plus a series of unlimited products at different speeds.

All bases covered, the little :monkey:
Looks like Simon Duffy will be staying, may even be made hereditary CEO by the shareholders. :clap: :clap:

I wouldn't get too excited about this news - most web sites operate at 2mb so an increase to 10mb will only typically benefit people who want faster music and movie downloads (if the site can do it)?
And the Linux distro's, don't forget the Linux distro's ;)

Alan Waddington
08-08-2005, 08:00
10Mbps. I am impressed. Any faster and my 10BaseT home network will need an upgrade to 100BaseT :o

If one used the full bandwidth 24/7 you would D/L about 2.6TBytes
If one used the full bandwidth 4/7 you would D/L about 450GBytes
If one used the full bandwidth 1/7 you would D/L about 110GBytes
(All figures very approximate)

I'm not sure what the actual Bandwidth would be for a good quality movie, but if one started watching TV over the internet, it seems that one could easily use more then 100GBytes per month. More for the advanced couch potatoes amongst us.

It will be interesting to see the new charging model.

Alan

Bill C
08-08-2005, 08:13
ppl have a habit of filling what ever space gets thrown at them, unless ntl have some heavy duty backend to cope somethings gotta give.

There has been constant upgrades to the core network and to the local equipment over the last couple of months and this will continue to happen, as and when it is needed.

Ntl have been planing for this upgrade, We do not just do it and worry after if it will work. :)

And the Linux distro's, don't forget the Linux distro's ;)

Now did you have to bring that up :) :LOL:

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 08:20
There has been constant upgrades to the core network and to the local equipment over the last couple of months and this will continue to happen, as and when it is needed.

Ntl have been planing for this upgrade, We do not just do it and worry after if it will work. :)
Reason why I never call CS when things are on the blink occasionally, I know it's you guys busily polishing the mirrors and that everything will be even better afterwards. :tu:

Tragedy
08-08-2005, 09:07
NTL rock:disturbd:

Nero182
08-08-2005, 09:10
Now ppl sould phone NTL and ask about the DATE GO GO

orangebird
08-08-2005, 09:13

NO! DO NOT! Customer sevices will know no more than you guys do on this thread. It hasn't been announced internally, and I really think that CS and the customers calling in for other customer service queries/probelms would appreciate the lines NOT being busy with stupid calls like asking about the upgrade. :rolleyes:

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 09:20
Only the "Bloke in the Pub" knows that, and he said September or was it October, I'm sure he said it was September, subject to the work having been completed or something.
Whoooooooooooo I'm all excited, that's what comes of having a boring lifestyle :dunce:

Stuart
08-08-2005, 09:20

Just to back up what OB said. Please don't ask Customer Services about this.

They don't know any more about this than has been released to the public, and if everyone floods the CS phone lines asking about the upgrade date, you may actually stop people with legitimate problems getting through.

You'll get the upgrade when it's ready and not before.

Just to re-iterate: Please don't ask Customer Services about this.

Monster Jedi
08-08-2005, 09:29
I'm worried about the unlimited download charges. How expensive will they be:disturbd:

rmg
08-08-2005, 09:29
Can anyone techy hazard a guess at what the uploads will be? What would be required to make a 10mb pipe work? orm could they do it without increasing the upload?

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 09:31
Just wondering, do you think it will be a secret increase like the last one? :rolleyes:
If it hadn't been for the "Bloke in the Pub" letting the cat out of the bag I could have easily missed a few weeks of 3Mb. :dozey:

ian@huth
08-08-2005, 09:32
:sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: waits for the "we're not happy" brigade to start finding problems with this excellent news.

Oooops, one or two slipped through already. :)

IanUK
08-08-2005, 09:34
I'm worried about the unlimited download charges. How expensive will they be:disturbd:

If there is an unlimited option (all guesswork at the moment) then surely there is no download charges (other than the set monthly fee) ?

I'd hope things stay as they are now - those on the top 3 meg tier can occasionally go over the top with no penalty.

__spc__
08-08-2005, 09:40
A faster connection will not encourage me to download more at all, so what's the problem? I'll just appreciate quicker download and online gaming responses.

Stuart
08-08-2005, 09:43
Just wondering, do you think it will be a secret increase like the last one? :rolleyes:
If it hadn't been for the "Bloke in the Pub" letting the cat out of the bag I could have easily missed a few weeks of 3Mb. :dozey:

Well, we carried news of the 3 Meg upgrade, and it certainly wasn't from the bloke in the pub.... It was from NTL themselves..

Tragedy
08-08-2005, 09:44
A faster connection will not encourage me to download more at all, so what's the problem? I'll just appreciate quicker download and online gaming responses.

Same here.

andyl
08-08-2005, 09:47
Well, we carried news of the 3 Meg upgrade, and it certainly wasn't from the bloke in the pub.... It was from NTL themselves.. True but if I hadn't have been an active CFer I wouldn't have known, wouldn't have called NTL, wouldn't have got my upgrade there and then instead of weeks/months later. So thanks for that :)

I can't see anything bad to say about this move, assuming there is no degradation of reliability as a result (my email can still be a bit iffy). I'm coming around to the fact that NTL is getting its act together. Which is nice.

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 09:57
If there is an unlimited option (all guesswork at the moment) then surely there is no download charges (other than the set monthly fee) ?

I'd hope things stay as they are now - those on the top 3 meg tier can occasionally go over the top with no penalty.
Probably the finer points still have to be decided, shareholders won't be interested in those, all they will see is Simon Duffy waving the 10Mb/s flag at todays meeting.
They did say they would have something for everyone, ntl isn't just for Christmas you know, although I keep looking out to see if it's snowing.
Happy days are here again, come on everyone join in.

News item:
Tony Blair is to stand down to make way for ........... Simon Duffy.

Well, we carried news of the 3 Meg upgrade, and it certainly wasn't from the bloke in the pub.... It was from NTL themselves..
Yeh but the "Bloke in the Pub" was the only source with the date spot on. He must be Simon Duffy, probably seeing how the other half live, and Oldham's the place for that :D

mcmanic
08-08-2005, 10:00
so increase to 10meg but lower cap ratio - unless you are going for more expensive uncapped (unconfirmed) tier?

3meg=30gig
10meg=75gig when is should be nearer 100gig?

not that i'm too bothered anyway, but just wondering why such a low cap (if implemented)

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 10:08
so increase to 10meg but lower cap ratio - unless you are going for more expensive uncapped (unconfirmed) tier?

3meg=30gig
10meg=75gig when is should be nearer 100gig?

not that i'm too bothered anyway, but just wondering why such a low cap (if implemented)
But surely the ratio doesn't enter into it seeing as it's a free upgrade.
So long as we get more of everything for nothing we have to be on a winner.
At least new customers won't get first bite of the apple this time, or will they? :erm:

ian@huth
08-08-2005, 10:18
A little bit more including 20mbit trials currently underway at http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=797

Apparantly a turbo button is to be introduced to temporarily speed up your connection.

punky
08-08-2005, 10:24
75gig/month transfer allowance as standard? Nice :)

Robc66
08-08-2005, 10:26
Any1 know when this will be happenin?

Derek
08-08-2005, 10:27
75gig/month transfer allowance as standard? Nice :)

Betcha people still complain about it though. :rolleyes:

orangebird
08-08-2005, 10:28
Not sute if it's been posted already but here's (http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=797) ntls press release.

oops - just noticed it in the forums news section :dunce:

quadplay
08-08-2005, 10:30
Any1 know when this will be happenin?

According to the Press Release, the upgrade will happen by the end of this year for existing 3Mb customers, and during next year (2006) for current 1Mb and 2Mb customers.

Kaychsea
08-08-2005, 10:31
There are a couple at it already.

As I've posted on a similar forum, I still havent upgraded from 300Kb, not because I'm worried about caps but because I'm a lazy sod at heart and the threefold increase didn't seem like much. A thirtyfold increase however...

First post, first typo :)

Robc66
08-08-2005, 10:38
End of this year.....nothin to get excited over then....still half a year to wait.

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 10:40
The BBC is now reporting it:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4749987.stm

Monster Jedi
08-08-2005, 10:40

You sure it wasn't from the NTL employee drunk in the pub ;)

TigaSefi
08-08-2005, 10:53
I can already see how this server gonna cope with all the ppl refreshing and posting whether they got it or not or could any NTL employee look at their MAC addy and upgrade it straightaway ;) I think the Mods should be preparing for it now.

Ignition
08-08-2005, 11:00
I can already see how this server gonna cope with all the ppl refreshing and posting whether they got it or not or could any NTL employee look at their MAC addy and upgrade it straightaway ;) I think the Mods should be preparing for it now.

I picked the right time to leave the company then ;)

scone2
08-08-2005, 11:13
Anyone thinking of upgrading to 3MB to be "first in line" for this? *prepares to beg wife*

Stuart
08-08-2005, 11:17
:welcome: to CableForum scone2.

I'm alright. Already on 3 Meg.. :D

Hans Gruber
08-08-2005, 11:17
So there's a 75gb limit for £37.99. Any ideas how much lower it will be on the £24.99 tier? Bearing in mind UKonline offer 500gb a month for £29.99 I hope it doesn't turn out too low.

(Cue angry people shouting about comparing to another ISP)

Charlie_Bubble
08-08-2005, 11:30
You have three different services and logically should look at each in isolation when deciding the supplier to use. Why drop TV and phone because of an issue over broadband charges? If you have decided that NTL is the best supplier for you of TV and phone then dropping them would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face. You should wait and see what terms and conditions are in force before coming to a decision. If you are getting more than a 3mbit connection with at least a 30 gig per month usage allowance then you are getting a better deal than you are on at the moment, no matter what the charges are for usage above the allowance. Some people are never satisfied no matter what is given to them.

You can't really though. Due to NTL insisting you have a phone with your TV, you can never look at the three in total isolation. I wouldn't mind Digital TV with NTL, but I don't want their phone and object to being forced to have pay for a phone service I will never use, so they lose out on my TV custom.

DVS
08-08-2005, 11:32
I look forward to seeing more detail from NTL on their proposed packages/pricing structures.

They have to be commended for moving to 10MBit ahead of the pack and they have now thrown down the guantlet to ADSL ISPs and providers, who I beleive will be unable to respond until such time as ADSL2 is widely deployed.

For the first time in a long time I have to say "Well done NTL."

*EEK don't beleive I just said that :)

Kaychsea
08-08-2005, 11:34
You can't really though. Due to NTL insisting you have a phone with your TV, you can never look at the three in total isolation. I wouldn't mind Digital TV with NTL, but I don't want their phone and object to being forced to have pay for a phone service I will never use, so they lose out on my TV custom.
As there is no charge if you don't use it and no set up charge it's a transparent cost. You get a box on the wall to use or not at your choice. Admittedly the cost is bundled into the TV package, but as it can't be unbundled I can't see what difference it makes, unless another package with a different telco is cheaper.

Gareth
08-08-2005, 11:39
As there is no charge if you don't use it and no set up charge it's a transparent cost. You get a box on the wall to use or not at your choice. Admittedly the cost is bundled into the TV package, but as it can't be unbundled I can't see what difference it makes, unless another package with a different telco is cheaper.Erm, that's like saying you can get a free pack of crisps when you buy a can of fizzy drink from your corner shop... except the price of the can is £1, whereas the can on it's own at your supermarket is only 50p. If you don't want the crisps, do you still buy the more expensive drink? :rolleyes:

Electrolyte01
08-08-2005, 11:44
All I can say is excellent move NTL :D :tu:

Maggy
08-08-2005, 11:46
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the phone service.It's been far more reliable than BT ever were.In fact I only wanted the phone but had to have the full DTV to get it. :rolleyes:

Oh well I guess I'd better upgrade from 300k to 1MB then. ;)

Charlie_Bubble
08-08-2005, 11:49
As there is no charge if you don't use it and no set up charge it's a transparent cost. You get a box on the wall to use or not at your choice. Admittedly the cost is bundled into the TV package, but as it can't be unbundled I can't see what difference it makes, unless another package with a different telco is cheaper.

Obviously, that's why you can't order the TV service without adding a £10.50 telephone service then eh?

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the phone service.It's been far more reliable than BT ever were.In fact I only wanted the phone but had to have the full DTV to get it. :rolleyes:

Well, I'd like caller ID, but NTL can't provide me with that. Plus, I've never had a fault with my BT line.....other than the fault caused by NTL cocking up the transfer back to BT. ;)

Kaychsea
08-08-2005, 11:51
Erm, that's like saying you can get a free pack of crisps when you buy a can of fizzy drink from your corner shop... except the price of the can is £1, whereas the can on it's own at your supermarket is only 50p. If you don't want the crisps, do you still buy the more expensive drink? :rolleyes:
No, it's saying if you can find a cable/satelite service for less than ntl then fine, but the bundled cost is irrelevant as it can't be unbundled. If the example was a packet of crips and a can of pop for £1 it only becomes an issue if anyone else is selling the can for less because the shop , in this case, isn't selling them seperatley.

orangebird
08-08-2005, 11:54

?? You don't have to have DTV to get a phone line only... :confused:

TheShadow
08-08-2005, 11:56
Sounds good.

75GB a month is nice. Shouldn't have to worry about my, erm... Linux distros so much... anymore.:disturbd:

jtwn
08-08-2005, 11:56

Yes, because its ****! I never had a '30gb' cap then, heres hoping to I don't know or the bill is going to look like the days of dial-up.

Anyway, heres to hoping 'the bloke in the pub' slips up some more ;)

Charlie_Bubble
08-08-2005, 12:05
No, it's saying if you can find a cable/satelite service for less than ntl then fine, but the bundled cost is irrelevant as it can't be unbundled. If the example was a packet of crips and a can of pop for £1 it only becomes an issue if anyone else is selling the can for less because the shop , in this case, isn't selling them seperatley.

So, if every car manufacturer suddenly decided to group together and insist you bought a caravan with each car and pay £5k more, you'd wouldn't think that stupid? You could argue, I have a house, I use hotels when I go on holiday, but you'd still have to buy the caravan. The logic doesn't stand up.

NTL will give you their phone service on it's own, their broadband on it's own, but not the TV service. I'm pretty sure they are missing out on customers here. I don't want the phone. It's no use you arguing I should take the phone, the cost is hidden, because I know it's there. I have a BT line for ADSL which I don't really use except for incoming calls only, because I use my mobile for calling out. Maybe one day they will get rid of this stupid idea and I can start handing £40 over to them, until then, I'll settle for freeview.

Gareth
08-08-2005, 12:17
No, it's saying if you can find a cable/satelite service for less than ntl then fine, but the bundled cost is irrelevant as it can't be unbundled. If the example was a packet of crips and a can of pop for £1 it only becomes an issue if anyone else is selling the can for less because the shop , in this case, isn't selling them seperatley.No, the issue is that you are forced to buy one item because you actually want another completely different item that the vendor is selling.

Other industries are legally prevented from doing this - you don't have to buy insurance from your mortgage provider, nor rely on printer cartridges from your printer manufacturer, etc... Personally I'd like to see the Fair Trade Commission investigate this. Just because NTL refuse to unbundle them does not make it irrelevant.

However, this is going off topic, so maybe we would be better discussing this in a separate thread.

Nice analogy, Charlie_Bubble :tu:

orangebird
08-08-2005, 12:17
No, the issue is that you are forced to buy one item because you actually want another completely different item that the vendor is selling.

Other industries are legally prevented from doing this - you don't have to buy insurance from your mortgage provider, nor rely on printer cartridges from your printer manufacturer, etc... Personally I'd like to see the Fair Trade Commission investigate this. Just because NTL refuse to unbundle them does not make it irrelevant.

However, this is going off topic, so maybe we would be better discussing this in a separate thread.

The FTC have had years to comment on the bundled servicesand they haven't. There's nothing to investiagte. ntl own their network and can do with it as they see fit.

ian@huth
08-08-2005, 12:18
So, if every car manufacturer suddenly decided to group together and insist you bought a caravan with each car and pay £5k more, you'd wouldn't think that stupid? You could argue, I have a house, I use hotels when I go on holiday, but you'd still have to buy the caravan. The logic doesn't stand up.

NTL will give you their phone service on it's own, their broadband on it's own, but not the TV service. I'm pretty sure they are missing out on customers here. I don't want the phone. It's no use you arguing I should take the phone, the cost is hidden, because I know it's there. I have a BT line for ADSL which I don't really use except for incoming calls only, because I use my mobile for calling out. Maybe one day they will get rid of this stupid idea and I can start handing £40 over to them, until then, I'll settle for freeview.
I would imagine NTL insist on you having the phone line with TV is so that they can offer free installation. If they were to offer free installation with just TV and kept the package prices the same as Sky they would lose money on every customer who decided to end their TV contract after the initial 12 month period. There is far less profit on TV than there is on phone and broadband (taking the BB abusers out of the equation).

Stuart
08-08-2005, 12:19

Agreed.

People, the topic is NTL's speed increase to 10Mb. Can we stick to it?

Just William
08-08-2005, 12:21
A little bit more including 20mbit trials currently underway at http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=797

Apparantly a turbo button is to be introduced to temporarily speed up your connection.

Speeds any faster will require the coax cable to each house to be replaced with fibre cable as coax can only cope with speeds up to 12mbps.

etccarmageddon
08-08-2005, 12:23
why cant people open new threads if they want to discuss other issues such as unbundling etc - I'm coming to this thread to see if there's more breaking news on the 10m subject but having to wade through lots of unconnected discussion.

Ignition
08-08-2005, 12:24
Speeds any faster will require the coax cable to each house to be replaced with fibre cable as coax can only cope with speeds up to 12mbps.

That is so wrong it's just not funny. Mods please delete this? :)

scone2
08-08-2005, 12:25
Sounds good.

75GB a month is nice. Shouldn't have to worry about my, erm... Linux distros so much... anymore.:disturbd:

:-) that's funny, I was thinking the same thing!! There's just so many to choose from, and I keep losing those pesky DVD's....

Stuart
08-08-2005, 12:26

You sure? According to that link, NTL appear to think that they can squeeze up to 50 Mb from the cable network using DOCSIS 3. And, I suspect, as more efficient encoding methods are introduced, the network will have the bandwidth available to surpass that..

:welcome: to CableForum BTW.

ian@huth
08-08-2005, 12:27
VDSL is yet another option amongst many.

Jon M
08-08-2005, 12:28

That is so wrong it's just not funny. Mods please delete this? :)
Why delete it?
I'm interested to know what the actual capacity of the infrastructure is, would you like to explain why you think it's wrong?

dev
08-08-2005, 12:29
any mention of a cost or if the cap is a hard limit one?

Ignition
08-08-2005, 12:34
Why delete it?
I'm interested to know what the actual capacity of the infrastructure is, would you like to explain why you think it's wrong?

Certainly, cable downstreams are a broadcast architecture, that bit of coax is simulataneously carrying 27+Mbit of DOCSIS traffic, even if some of it is padded empty frames, along with all the DTV, analogue, and out of band.

Existing ntl network build specs up to 860MHz, with the range between 5 and 65MHz being used for upstream traffic, that leaves after a guard band of 20MHz the 85-860MHz band to be used for downstream cable traffic.

At nominal 64QAM 6 bits per symbol and assuming a symbol rate of 0.8Megasymbols/MHz just for the sake of argument that gives 775 x 0.8 x 6 = 3.72Gbps capacity, this can be increased further through 256QAM, 8 bits/symbol.

That's just an approximation with regard to Msymbols/MHz, to illustrate.

DieDieMyDarling
08-08-2005, 12:55
On one hand this news is great, and it's very exciting, the prospect of having 10mb, something that parts of Europe have had for years, and i've always been jealous of.

But, on the other hand i'm really not sure that very many of us could actually USE that much speed. 10mb will roughly be about 1250k/sec.

How many ntl customers could actually use up that much bandwidth? And if they do find things that take advantage of it, it's really going to bugger up any ideas of a low cap. If people start using things like streaming live tv, concerts, online dvd rentals etc, they'll soon run out of useage for that month.

I'm not knocking it, i am excited about the upgrade, and i'll be on here like everyone else waiting for the details of when it starts, and how to jump the queue etc. But i just wonder in reality, will many of us actually get to use it in a way that we really experience a difference.

IanUK
08-08-2005, 13:06
I'm not knocking it either, but I'm really concerned about the Proxies, Poplar can't even handle 3 meg, what hope does it have with 10mb ?

MysticKiller
08-08-2005, 13:08
So when can I as a 300k cutomer get 10mb? and what will the cap be? 5gb/month? I'm sure it would be something ridiculous like it is on 1mb lol.

ian@huth
08-08-2005, 13:12
On one hand this news is great, and it's very exciting, the prospect of having 10mb, something that parts of Europe have had for years, and i've always been jealous of.

But, on the other hand i'm really not sure that very many of us could actually USE that much speed. 10mb will roughly be about 1250k/sec.

How many ntl customers could actually use up that much bandwidth? And if they do find things that take advantage of it, it's really going to bugger up any ideas of a low cap. If people start using things like streaming live tv, concerts, online dvd rentals etc, they'll soon run out of useage for that month.

I'm not knocking it, i am excited about the upgrade, and i'll be on here like everyone else waiting for the details of when it starts, and how to jump the queue etc. But i just wonder in reality, will many of us actually get to use it in a way that we really experience a difference.
Virtually all customers could use the 10 mbps and more if you think about it. Streaming tv such as live football matches and films may quickly use up your allowance but the cost of that extra bandwidth may be less than the cost of subscribing to watching the same football match or the cost of online renting of the film. NTL could make a range of events and films available online through something like broadband plus that you pay for in "over the cap" charges rather than not getting any profit out of third party online video rentals that would be the case if they had a much larger cap.

Neil
08-08-2005, 13:14
So when can I as a 300k cutomer get 10mb? and what will the cap be? 5gb/month? I'm sure it would be something ridiculous like it is on 1mb lol.

Read the news article on the front page. ;)

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 13:14

My take on it, (i'm sure i'll be corrected if wrong) by the end of 06 all will be on 10M, but each will have different levels or caps, you can buy higher bandwidths has you need it, i think. :shrug:

Millay
08-08-2005, 13:16
hmmm, do we have to have this thread now for another two/three how ever long months :D...

Surly those of us on 3mbit are surfeing at pretty much flat out for web pages, they cant appear much quicker.. my 1 - 3mbit uprgrade was great, but this whilst I welcome it and look forward to using it for mutimedia etc... I can wait it will happen, it will be great when it does... just be cool :D

Chrysalis
08-08-2005, 13:16
Really am looking forward to this, I wonder if telewest top dogs had say in this as to ensure NTL have products to please telewest customers when merger happens.

I would expect a mass of people upgrading to top tier when the news hits of first batch of 3mbit getting the upgrades, and is there any indication that the 75 gig is still a soft cap or will be a hard cap? I am hoping it stays as a guideline that NTL only enforce when congestion occurs.

ian@huth
08-08-2005, 13:18
So when can I as a 300k cutomer get 10mb? and what will the cap be? 5gb/month? I'm sure it would be something ridiculous like it is on 1mb lol.According to the press releae you will get it sometime before the end of next year. We will have to wait for details to be released for further information so it's no use asking on here or by calling NTL customer services. Just keep an eye open on this site and you will be amongst the first to know. The current "cap" on the 1 mbps is quite sufficient for the majority of customers so cannot be called ridiculous. Same as with most things in life, if you want more, you pay more. :)

tom101
08-08-2005, 13:19
Does anyone know what the upload speed will be?

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 13:25
Unlimited packages at 10 meg mmmmmm poor giganews will not know whats hit them :D In the middle ages everybody used leeches as medication.Im a leech for medicinal purposes :D :D

All depends on pricing.Ive got 7 meg coming into the house and I do use it,5 meg pipe on one machine browsing newsgroups (not for linux distros btw im not gonna lie) 2 meg on another for browsing and gaming so in reality it wont make a huge difference to me,mind you 1.25 hours for a dvd5 download :drool:

Chrysalis
08-08-2005, 13:40
I think NTL having something else up their sleeve with this, possible streaming of TV channels, would be good for areas where no digital tv and can get digital channels over the net.

jtwn
08-08-2005, 13:42
Heres what I think would be nice - 5-10gb on bottom, 20-30 on middle, and nothing, 300gb or guideline for the top. Then everybodys happy, and they possibly get a load of people upgrading.

Those in the know - do you think the network as of now could cope with just all 3mb users moved up?

Chrysalis
08-08-2005, 13:46
Heres what I think would be nice - 5-10gb on bottom, 20-30 on middle, and nothing, 300gb or guideline for the top. Then everybodys happy, and they possibly get a load of people upgrading.

Those in the know - do you think the network as of now could cope with just all 3mb users moved up?

If that happened I would upgrade to £37.99 and be fairly satisfied. For 75gig I would feel hard done by at £37.99 as I feel content amount is more important then burst speed. I dont think the middle tier will be below 30gig it will more likely be static or have a small rise so possible 30-40gig.

Gareth
08-08-2005, 13:53
Unlimited packages at 10 meg mmmmmm poor giganews will not know whats hit them :D Just a shame that NTL don't offer the same number and type of newsgroups that giganews do, eh ;)

Robc66
08-08-2005, 13:55
The 37.99 package should not have a cap at all. This would encourage the people on the 2 bottom speeds to upgrade and ntl wud b leeching in the money! If that happened they could also advertise 10mbit for 17.99 with a cap which noobs would be droolings over and i think that is the main reason for this....to attract new customers.

DeadKenny
08-08-2005, 13:56
How soon before the "I'm back" threads start showing?, methinks Bulldog etc. slipped up with the 1 month contract. oops:

Unless they can guarantee me a stable connection, I won't be one of them.

They couldn't before which is why I left. No point in 10Mbps if it doesn't work ;)

Indeed, and those people are capped at 75Gb anyway so unless they're desperate to download a particular piece of music or movie very fast, it's little benefit as the only other bonus to them is they can download more in a month... but they can't because of capping ;)

It would be of benefit for video streaming, but NTL already has VOD and that's done through DVB I believe, not broadband, and for DVD quality via MPEG-4 you only need half of the 10Mbps speed.

You can increase the speed between ISP and customer to whatever you like but there's always going to be a limited resource somewhere, and if they let everyone do P2P downloading at 10Mbps 24/7, it will be unsustainable and they have to do what most other ISPs are doing and traffic shape if they want to have uncapped packages.

No need for fibre to home. NTL have got the copper phone network which will support ADSL2+ and with distances to the equipment likely to be no more than between house and street cabinet, this means speeds up to 24Mbps without much extra investment. Future DSL technologies may increase this further, and the phone copper is a dedicated connection which avoids a load of unpleasant noise and reflection side effects you get with the local neighbourhood coax.

They could even do a combined system using coax and phone copper.

Fibre would mean a lot more investment as a lot of digging up would be required as well as new equipment.

Not sure what would be involved with DOCSIS3 though, but if it still uses coax, I'd be happier if they concentrate first on ensuring everyone has a solid stable signal rather than just dumping a modem on the customer and saying "tough" effectively if it doesn't work.

The big question though is what the upstream will be.

BBKing
08-08-2005, 14:17
as coax can only cope with speeds up to 12mbps.

Incorrect - the USB port is 11Mb and older boxes with only 10Mb ethernet have issues, but modern CMs and STBs with 100Mb ports can theoretically go up to whatever EuroDOCSIS spec is valid for 256QAM downstream channels, which is 52Mbps or so, or a bit less with overheads taken into account. I'm not sure any modems would be particularly reliable at such a rate, however.

Chrysalis
08-08-2005, 14:22
The benefit gained depends on the usage style. For people who generally web browse and read email they will notice nothing, people using p2p may notice a improvement but I doubt they will be bursting upto 10mbit, the upload bandwidth on p2p comes from other residental users and is shared amongst many leechers. People who are most likely to see nice download speeds are when downloading files of big sites like microsoft and bbc, downloading of 100mbit+ ftp's inside the eu, (transatlantic is normally 5mbit per download thread or 0.25mbit on some backbones), newsgroup servers, and home's that have multiple users.

One thing that I havent posted about yet, is the timeframe NTL have put together for this, I have heard of a few ntl bod's already that they have apperently prepared for this and are good to go, then I have to ask why is it schedule for end of 2005 for the first set of people and then the rest spread out until the end of 2006. That is a 12 month timespan quite a long time for someone who is supposed to be preprepared and is a possible 18 months since the PR announcement. I remember when my area got upgraded but it was very congested before the resegmentation and I assumed the upgrade wasnt for a future service but to solve the congestion caused by the at the time 1.5mbit upgrade. I dont want to be negative but I have a concern that if high latency occurs due to local congestion on the ubr will NTL upgrade it again to resolve it.

Bill C
08-08-2005, 15:20

:rofl::rofl: That has made my day.

ntl.wotcha
08-08-2005, 15:22
It's all very interesting, but I have to say that increasing from 600k to 2mb has given me a 80% increase in satisfaction with the service. But going from 2mb to 10mb may only give me a 20% satisfaction. The only real benefit is downloading large files faster.

I don't think I would pay any extra for higherspeed or uncapped downloads.

Before NTL get into this I really would prefer to see some big advances in the TV service, namely, HiDef and PVR, both of which I would pay extra for in the blink of an eye.

Salu
08-08-2005, 15:25
The benefit gained depends on the usage style. For people who generally web browse and read email they will notice nothing, people using p2p may notice a improvement but I doubt they will be bursting upto 10mbit, the upload bandwidth on p2p comes from other residental users and is shared amongst many leechers. People who are most likely to see nice download speeds are when downloading files of big sites like microsoft and bbc, downloading of 100mbit+ ftp's inside the eu, (transatlantic is normally 5mbit per download thread or 0.25mbit on some backbones), newsgroup servers, and home's that have multiple users.

One thing that I havent posted about yet, is the timeframe NTL have put together for this, I have heard of a few ntl bod's already that they have apperently prepared for this and are good to go, then I have to ask why is it schedule for end of 2005 for the first set of people and then the rest spread out until the end of 2006. That is a 12 month timespan quite a long time for someone who is supposed to be preprepared and is a possible 18 months since the PR announcement. I remember when my area got upgraded but it was very congested before the resegmentation and I assumed the upgrade wasnt for a future service but to solve the congestion caused by the at the time 1.5mbit upgrade. I dont want to be negative but I have a concern that if high latency occurs due to local congestion on the ubr will NTL upgrade it again to resolve it.

I would imagine this is a commercial decision to ensure that they can stay ahead in the game. With ADSL2 round the corner they need to be able to upgrade at short notice. Also they will have scored points by going to 10MB rather than ADSL's 8mb. They have probably announced the upgrade for the 3MB customers first to preserve the revenue stream until the upgrade. Otherwise people may downgrade first.

Bill C
08-08-2005, 15:28
Unlimited packages at 10 meg mmmmmm poor giganews will not know whats hit them :D In the middle ages everybody used leeches as medication.Im a leech for medicinal purposes :D :D

All depends on pricing.Ive got 7 meg coming into the house and I do use it,5 meg pipe on one machine browsing newsgroups (not for linux distros btw im not gonna lie) 2 meg on another for browsing and gaming so in reality it wont make a huge difference to me,mind you 1.25 hours for a dvd5 download :drool:

Its always so refreshing when someone can have the balls to say it as it is. Instead of hiding behind the Linux distro scam :) :LOL:

Nice one zingle have a greeny :tu:

kronas
08-08-2005, 16:19

i dont think 75GB is enough, i know the upgrades wont cost more if you choose the capped services, but us NTL customers should atleast have got 150GB, thats more than ample.

i casually predict that an unlimited sevice will cost £69.99 per month.

Robc66
08-08-2005, 16:25
£70?!!? !? r u mad? I will be leavin them if its 70 quid!

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 16:28
i dont think 75GB is enough, i know the upgrades wont cost more if you choose the capped services, but us NTL customers should atleast have got 150GB, thats more than ample.

i casually predict that an unlimited sevice will cost £69.99 per month.

Id pay that if it was stable.Im paying £54 now in total and ukonline drops every night so I would happily pay £70

jtwn
08-08-2005, 16:28
£70 for consumer broadband is a bit over the top...any sane marketer won't put it above 50.

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 16:32
Ok time for some serious cr*p cutting

Anyone wanting an unlimited account at 10 meg is a leech. Chances are they sell dvd's (I disclaim that im not refering to me) and chances are they dont sell them cheap so £70 plus say £15 for giganews so its £85 for something that will earn the pirates £100's is not a bad outlay

also those that are not pirates downloading say 100 gig of whatever can easily have £250 worth of dvds £1,000 + worth of music cds or rediculasly stupid amounts of software worth god knows

I do not condone this but lets be straight and not full of poop its why people want unlimited

Robc66
08-08-2005, 16:33
They should have the top teer being £40 unlimited. Capped Broadband is not the way to go....especially of they wanna do streamin tv. You would reach a 75GB cap in a day of streaming at full 10mbit.

rmg
08-08-2005, 16:33
Before NTL get into this I really would prefer to see some big advances in the TV service, namely, HiDef and PVR, both of which I would pay extra for in the blink of an eye.

http://www.ntl.com/mediacentre/press/display.asp?id=797

Currently, an ntl technology trial in Chorleywood is delivering speeds of up to 20Mb to a school, small business and several homes. This level of speed and bandwidth offers the opportunity to enjoy a host of new services. These include high definition TV, 1000 channel global radio, video conferencing amongst friends & family, global gaming, low cost IP telephony, video email, and of course the things people already use broadband for, but at much greater speed.

:)

ian@huth
08-08-2005, 16:37
£70 for consumer broadband is a bit over the top...any sane marketer won't put it above 50.I used to pay more than that for 28k dial-up some years ago and that was when it took a fair bit longer to earn a £1. There are a lot of people out there who can afford to pay that amount and would pay it for a 10Mb uncapped service. There are many places that are cabled where you can't get above 2Mb ADSL and £70 isn't a lot if three house sharers are sharing the bill. They wouldn't make a 10Mb uncapped service so cheap that everyone flocked onto it.

Robc66
08-08-2005, 16:39

Anyone wanting an unlimited account at 10 meg is a leech. Chances are they sell dvd's (I disclaim that im not refering to me) and chances are they dont sell them cheap so £70 plus say £15 for giganews so its £85 for something that will earn the pirates £100's is not a bad outlay

also those that are not pirates downloading say 100 gig of whatever can easily have £250 worth of dvds £1,000 + worth of music cds or rediculasly stupid amounts of software worth god knows

I do not condone this but lets be straight and not full of poop its why people want unlimited

This maybe true....but wots to say that they actually sell it on and not use it for their own personal use?

kronas
08-08-2005, 16:40
£70?!!? !? r u mad? I will be leavin them if its 70 quid!

nope but NTL have to make money and bandwidth is not cheap (so they say)

PC_Arcade
08-08-2005, 16:42
Some customers with older modems or hardware will need to purchase a replacement to experience the full benefit of the speed increase.

PURCHASE??!!

So the modem will be mine if an upgrade is required? does this mean that NTL are bringing back reductions for those that own their modems?
I thought that the price we paid included the RENTAL of the modem??

I'm not bothered by the increase in speed in all honesty, I'm not sure I can see the point in having 10mb connection if it has a 75Gb limit, i'd be worried about hitting it unless NTL bring in a traffic shaping option where I drop to a slower speed when / if I hit the "cap". I CERTAINLY don't want to be charged per Mb or per Gb for going over and have to "clock watch" like the bad old days.

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 16:44
This maybe true....but wots to say that they actually sell it on and not use it for their own personal use?

thats irrelevent complaining about paying £70 outlay for vastly more value of product.Thinks its called Greed

For all we know they might want £100 for unlimited no one knows yet

Ignition
08-08-2005, 16:45
thats irrelevent complaining about paying £70 outlay for vastly more value of product.Thinks its called Greed

Nah think you'll find it's called being stingy. Not unlike the people who leech loads on 1Mbit because they are too cheap to pay out for 2 or 3 ;)

kronas
08-08-2005, 16:46

i dont think anyone should be calling people greedy if they want 10mbit with unlimited usage if it is £69.99 a month, you get what you pay for.

however you use it that should be up to you and is in the users hands.

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 16:48
i dont think anyone should be calling people greedy if they want 10mbit with unlimited usage if it £69.99 a month, you get what you pay for.

however you use it that should be up to you and is in the users hands.

I never said that I said complaining about paying £70 for vastly more value in product is greedy,not people wanting it

Halcyon
08-08-2005, 16:48
I havent read the whole thread as I havent got long left online here in the internet cafe, but it is great news about this speed increase.

I do wonder however if the CAP will be increased for customors on the 1mb package will blow that away in no time. Anyone know ?

Its good news as here in France there are some companies offering up to 20mb connections so its about time we stepped up the speed.

Robc66
08-08-2005, 16:49

Its not greed at all....Seriously, what is the point in having a 10mbit connection when u can only use it for a day or 2 at nice speed? (the nice speed could come from streaming tv and not downloading illegal software). So after a day of good quality tv....They put you down to a lower speed because u reached the cap and therefore you get rubbish quality tv streaming? NO THANKS! :mad:

kronas
08-08-2005, 16:51
I never said that I said complaining about paying £70 for vastly more value in product is greedy,not people wanting it

it is pricey but it depends on what people are prepared to pay for an unlimited service, if there is demand for it, as ive said 75GB maybe insufficient for some on a 10mbit service.

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 16:53
Its not greed at all....Seriously, what is the point in having a 10mbit connection when u can only use it for a day or 2 at nice speed? (the nice speed could come from streaming tv and not downloading illegal software). So after a day of good quality tv....They put you down to a lower speed because u reached the cap and therefore you get rubbish quality tv streaming? NO THANKS! :mad:

It wont be long before the tv companies are broadcasting HDTv. If you want the product you have to pay the cash. I think streaming tv will be subscription anyway an not subject to a cap if you buy it off NTL.Why is it that people moan about the costs even though there not known its crazy.

it is pricey but it depends on what people are prepared to pay for an unlimited service, if there is demand for it, as ive said 75GB maybe insufficient for some a 10mbit service.

exactlly if its tiered then people will choose whats best for them ,if they want unlimited they will have to pay and rightly so

I use loads but im prepared to pay at present its costing me 54 quid for what I want, ill pay more if I need and you wont hear me complain

Mick
08-08-2005, 17:05
Why is it that people moan about the costs even though there not known its crazy.

That's a good question.... :erm:

Taken from the front page as I am beginning to wonder if some people have actually read it........ :D

ntl has confirmed its strategy for the delivery of next generation cable broadband services. A press release informs us, the aim is to make 10Mb its standard broadband access speed. Broadband customers will be able to choose a 10Mb service with a usage allowance to match their requirements. ntl will also offer a choice of broadband services with unlimited usage.

New broadband portfolio

The new product strategy creates a set of †œup to 10Mb as standardââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚ cable broadband products with different bandwidth options to match usage plus a series of unlimited products at different speeds.

For the first time, a customer will be able to match speed, usage allowance and price to their individual needs. A new broadband user will be able to enjoy the same 10Mb speed as an experienced surfer and as their online expertise grows, simply move up to a higher allowance. Tools will be provided to allow customers to track their usage.

The first home surfers in the UK to enjoy speeds of up to 10Mb will be ntlââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s current 3Mb Broadband customers. ntl will provide them with more speed and greater usage, at no extra cost per month. By the end of this year they will have a connection of up to 10Mb, while their usage allowance will increase from 30GB to 75GB per month.

†œOur broadband services will become amongst the most innovative in the world and certainly well ahead of anything else in the UK,ââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ said Simon Duffy, Chief Executive Officer of ntl. †œThis is a major step towards delivering Britainââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s digital future.ââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚

By the end of 2006, the roll out of this new product portfolio will be complete. There are no plans to change monthly prices. However, some customers will need to upgrade their modem. Further details will be announced at launch.

Even higher speeds to come for cable customers

Moving customers to a 10Mb Broadband service is part of a wider progression towards services with even higher speed and greater bandwidth. ntlââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s fibre-rich network means that broadband speeds of between 30Mb and 50Mb are possible through DOCSIS 3.0 (cable) or ADSL 2+ (copper). ntl has the flexibility in its dual local network to offer this type of connection in the future.

Ignition
08-08-2005, 17:11
Can I just mention something:

Where does this say that there will be an unlimited 10Mb product? I read it as a set of up to 10Mb cable products with various allowances plus other unlimited products at different speeds.

Still I've no more idea about any of this than you guys do *shrug*

Sorry to interrupt the speculation anyway :)

mcmanic
08-08-2005, 17:12

u seem to be very well know on the subject for someone who knows nothing of why people actually want a true unlimited service, nobody wants to be reminded of the good old pay as you go dialup days. Also i doubt it'll be anywhere near £70, i remember the good old days of 1meg BB at £50 with NTL, good how they screwed us over then compared to what can be achieved now, so in theory it should be cheaper

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 17:14
I know a lot of people lie about there internet uses Im not one of them.If you actually read what ive said you will know that ive been talking about unlimited accounts.Caps are gonna happen like it or not and premium rate will apply to BB no matter what its used for

Im optimistic It would be awesome for a leech like myself if the price stayed £37.99 for unlimited 10 meg

But im also realistic and I know that it wont

75 % of internet leeches lie about there uses

80 % of rediculas statistics are made up

jtwn
08-08-2005, 17:46
Another link - http://www.ntl.com/home/10mb/

'The first customers to enter the realms of F1' - rofl :rofl:

Bill C
08-08-2005, 17:48
Why is it that people moan about the costs even though there not known its crazy.

It happens all the time. No matter what NTL offer there will be those that complain. I can bet you now if we offer free broadband at 100 meg with no caps, There would be those here who would complain and say we should pay them, Do the downloading and burning for them, And run them to the computer fair to sell there dvd's.

magnoman
08-08-2005, 17:51
well according to the link the tariff prices will not change but unlimited tariffs will be added;)

Robc66
08-08-2005, 17:53
Fingers crossed that the unlimited wont cost too much!!!!!

Neil
08-08-2005, 17:55
Fingers crossed that the unlimited wont cost too much!!!!!

ntl also announced today that it plans to launch a range of unlimited usage services, at speeds below 10Mb. These will also launch in 2006.

There will be no change to the monthly tariff prices.

http://www.ntl.com/home/10mb/

Hans Gruber
08-08-2005, 17:59
I'd be quite happy with a unlimited 2mbit package for £24.99, much like what I have now :p

Robc66
08-08-2005, 18:00
What about people who want unlimited 10mbit? or wont they offer that service?

Gareth
08-08-2005, 18:06
The first customers to enter the realms of F1 will be the current 3Mb Broadband customers. Customers will be upgraded to 10Mb by the end of this year. Their monthly usage allowance will increase from 30GB per month to 75GB per month.

There will be no change to the monthly tariff prices. So, reading this, I take it that before the end of this year, I will be upgraded from 3 Mb to 10 Mb, and that my download limit will increase from 30Gb to 75 Gb, but my monthly tariff will still be £37.99 p/month.

Am I reading more into this than I should be? :shrug:

zing_deleted
08-08-2005, 18:09
So, reading this, I take it that before the end of this year, I will be upgraded from 3 Mb to 10 Mb, and that my download limit will increase from 30Gb to 75 Gb, but my monthly tariff will still be £37.99 p/month.

Am I reading more into this than I should be? :shrug:

you can fill the 75 gig on 10 meg in about 22.5 hours what I have now can fill it in 2 days flat

Slyder
08-08-2005, 18:14
There will be no price rise, but customers will pay different rates depending on how much is downloaded, says Bill Goodland, NTL's internet director.

errmm... excuse me :shocked:

So will we have to pay a flat rate of £38 a month, plus whatever we download. :confused:

zoombini
08-08-2005, 18:15
heck, this could even get me back on.... err... no I didn't say that - never... not worth it. lol

I thought that the modems were only capable of 8mb tops?

will that mean new modems for all if its so?

Gareth
08-08-2005, 18:16
you can fill the 75 gig on 10 meg in about 22.5 hours what I have now can fill it in 2 days flatYeah, I know that... me too. Although I do download Linux distros... honest! ...I also download a helluva lot more 'evaluation' software too.

What I've been trying to get my head round is whether the 10 Mb / 75 Gb package is going to be priced at £37.99. Dunno why I'm bothered though... might as well just wait and see what happens.

Robc66
08-08-2005, 18:18
Yeah, I know that... me too. Although I do download Linux distros... honest! ...I also download a helluva lot more 'evaluation' software too.

What I've been trying to get my head round is whether the 10 Mb / 75 Gb package is going to be priced at £37.99. Dunno why I'm bothered though... might as well just wait and see what happens.

Good idea:angel:

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 18:18
Originally Posted by Marloe
There will be no price rise, but customers will pay different rates depending on how much is downloaded, says Bill Goodland, NTL's internet director.

I must have read the wrong press statement. :shrug:

Hans Gruber
08-08-2005, 18:24
Well if this roll out isn't going to be finished by the end of 2006 there isn't too much to get excited about just yet. By then we'll all be wearing silver suits and communicating telepathically.

mcmanic
08-08-2005, 18:27
according to Ntl unlimited tier users does not include 10meg line

ntl also announced today that it plans to launch a range of unlimited usage services, at speeds below 10Mb. These will also launch in 2006.

so looks like if you want unlimted you gotta pay more (possibly) and a slower speed than if you go with a capped 10meg service

cookie_365
08-08-2005, 18:41
Well if this roll out isn't going to be finished by the end of 2006 there isn't too much to get excited about just yet. By then we'll all be wearing silver suits and communicating telepathically.

Strange - I knew you were going to type that even before it appeared on the forum .... maybe it's that old Spandau Ballet outfit I'm wearing .... ;)

kronas
08-08-2005, 18:41
Another link - http://www.ntl.com/home/10mb/

'The first customers to enter the realms of F1' - rofl :rofl:

well thats certainly disappointing, unlimited services will be below 10mbit :(

so i guess it means the caps will be hard ones instead of the current soft ones.

Robc66
08-08-2005, 18:49
I wonder what telewest will do to compete with this? Considering they always beat ntl lol! Prob like 14mbit Uncapped for 50 quid.

Mick
08-08-2005, 18:52
I wonder what telewest will do to compete with this? Considering they always beat ntl lol! Prob like 14mbit Uncapped for 50 quid.

The thing is though, ntl and Telewest are not in direct competition with each other, since you cannot get Telewest services in an ntl area and vice versa - Please also don't forget that there is an expected merger of the two cable giants, just around the corner. :)

Bill C
08-08-2005, 18:53

Dream on

Robc66
08-08-2005, 18:56
The thing is though, ntl and Telewest are not in direct competition with each other, since you cannot get Telewest services in an ntl area and vice versa - Please also don't forget that there is an expected merger of the two cable giants, just around the corner. :)

They have been expected to merge for years and nothing has happened....this is nothin different now and telewest and ntl always offer nearly the same services so they WILL upgrade and WILL beat what ntl offer......;)

KyleMac
08-08-2005, 19:04
Much like the 1.5mbit > 3mbit upgrade I don't know whether to be excited or worried. The extra speed would be nice, but the cap would be horrible (turned out it didn't exist on 3mbit after all). It will be nigh impossible to get the most out of 10mbit, especially since most http connections rarely surpass 1mbit. As people have said before, it's going to be the upstream that matters. It'd be so nice to have 1mbit up and be able to host games of my own/unpopular mods/games. "Hey guys, want to play Tribes?", "But there's no servers anymore", "No problem!".

The 75GB cap is a tad too low for me, it'd probably be alright for 9 out of 12 months a year. My (dodgy, probably inaccurate) mIRC script says this:
18463.46MB in/8657.65MB out (over 1wk 1day 9hrs 2mins 54secs)
Now I have no idea how I got that. 2x SG1 episodes, 2x Atlantis, 2x Galactica, all seeded to just over 1.0 would have given me about 2100MB/2100MB. What the hell is using the rest of the bandwidth? I've been syncing with my webhost several hours a day every day while doing PHP, my brother has been playing Diablo 2, NWN, Tribes Vengeance and more online all the time, and I imagine my dad has been getting his regular fix from theunderdogs. The rest is mostly movie trailers, demos, streaming video, etc. I know that no-one else in the house uses any P2P software since I would have had to sort out the ports. A 75GB cap is just too low for a house of nerds.

From what I can understand from ntl's press release is that £37/3mbit/no real cap will become £37/10mbit/75GB and so on with the other packages. Then we will also have the ability to change to something like £37/5mbit/no cap. Considering how easy it is to change your tariff at the ntl site then they should hopefully be able to offer enough services to suit everyone.

Those of you talking about watercooling your modems; I think your routers may need more of that attention, mine will.

hjf288
08-08-2005, 19:17
DOCSIS 3.0, which would likely require a silicon change at the modem and at the CMTS, could offer downstream bandwidth of 200 Mbps per channel, and 100 Mbps per channel upstream. Today, DOCSIS 2.0 delivers up to 40 Mbps down/30 Mbps up. The 3.0 version would give operators enough bandwidth to offer a wide range of IP-based, entertainment-quality media services.

Ignition
08-08-2005, 19:24
well thats certainly disappointing, unlimited services will be below 10mbit :(

so i guess it means the caps will be hard ones instead of the current soft ones.

That really sucks doesn't it, ntl releasing unlimited services but not at 10Mbit, and offering 10Mbit for those who can handle a 'mere' 75GB/month :rolleyes:

Bill C
08-08-2005, 19:26
They have been expected to merge for years and nothing has happened....this is nothin different now and telewest and ntl always offer nearly the same services so they WILL upgrade and WILL beat what ntl offer......;)

You that good at picking lotto numbers as well if so can you pick me 6 winners for the weekend :)

Mick
08-08-2005, 19:29

But like I said - they are not in direct competition with each other.

mcmanic
08-08-2005, 19:34
What about people who want unlimited 10mbit? or wont they offer that service?

if they offer a 2 meg unlimited i'll happly drop from 3 meg to 2 meg and save some money.

Speed isn't everything you know

Maggy
08-08-2005, 19:43
?? You don't have to have DTV to get a phone line only... :confused:

I did when I started...Oh so long ago. :) I didn't really mind and I still don't.It's still a cheaper option than Sky and the phone bills are cheaper than with BT. :)

jtwn
08-08-2005, 19:45
Yes when you don't need it and don't value wasting your time downloading.

Monster Jedi
08-08-2005, 19:53
[QUOTE=mcmanic]if they offer a 2 meg unlimited i'll happly drop from 3 meg to 2 meg and save some money.

I allready download unlimited on the 2meg so why should you drop from the 3meg:Sprint:

kronas
08-08-2005, 19:59
[QUOTE=mcmanic]if they offer a 2 meg unlimited i'll happly drop from 3 meg to 2 meg and save some money.

I allready download unlimited on the 2meg so why should you drop from the 3meg:Sprint:

*waits for the cap letter to reach Monster Jedi

i have been reliably informed that its 'coming soon' :p: ;)

eTa
08-08-2005, 20:16
NTL have come along way from the early days of 512K broadband and I think this is a great step in the right direction, although I must admit that I am a little disappointed with the size of the cap... I guess the only thing to do is to wait and see what the options are. :angel:

robtufts
08-08-2005, 20:20
It has come on in leaps and bounds, was quite a sight to see "20x faster than dial-up" and now it's 20x more than 512k which was the norm mere months ago!

Slyder
08-08-2005, 21:05
Some customers with older modems or hardware will need to purchase a replacement to experience the full benefit of the speed increase.

lol... we will need to "purchase" a replacement. errmm why ? its your equipment. Just how much will this replacement cost is what I want to know. :rolleyes:

slowcoach
08-08-2005, 21:10
OK, latest from the †œBloke in the Pubââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚.

ntl are planning on implementing the first wave 10Mb/s (3Mb customers) to undermine the BT 8Mb/s implementation in October, thereby negating the BT publicity.

The first phase will be to test the system suitability especially over the Christmas period when VOD is expected to add extra pressure to the system.

It may be decided to soft cap this first phase initially to provide better figures for judging requirements when other users are moved up to 10Mb/s.

If all goes well over Christmas lower tier customers will be switched over early in the New Year, it is expected that this will be spread over a couple of months with any fine tuning necessary being done area by area.

Finally, the unlimited range will be put on-line later in 2006, a range of speeds will be available uncapped with the top speed being 5Mb/s uncapped. Prices of uncapped 1Mb/s and 2Mb/s will remain as they are at present, the new 5Mb/s uncapped will probably be priced at £37.99 same as the top tier 10Mb/s 75Gig capped product.

The upgrade is being spread out to ensure that there is no degregation of service along the way, ntl are confident that recent upgrades to the system will be able to cope easily with only minor overnight work being required in the odd area.

To increase revenue ntl will be releasing a range of T-shirts and Sweat Shirts imprinted with †œKick @rse with ntl 10Mb/s Broadband" ;) Sorry, made that last bit up :D

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 21:13
To increase revenue ntl will be releasing a range of T-shirts and Sweat Shirts imprinted with †œKick @rse with ntl 10Mb/s Broadband" Sorry, made that last bit up

Like it tho :rofl:

Hans Gruber
08-08-2005, 21:14
Finally, the unlimited range will be put on-line later in 2006, a range of speeds will be available uncapped with the top speed being 5Mb/s uncapped. Prices of uncapped 1Mb/s and 2Mb/s will remain as they are at present, the new 5Mb/s uncapped will probably be priced at £37.99 same as the top tier 10Mb/s 75Gig capped product.

If that bit turns out to be true I'll be very happy :)

Earwig
08-08-2005, 21:16
As has already been said we will just have to wait and see what exactly i being offered and sadly this does seem many months of from what I have read so far....

10Mbit is pretty useless at such a low cap....

With the way LLU is unfolding accross the country andf current providers offering 500GB of downloads on a line 2Mbit slower than NTL it makes you wonder why NTL choose to offer 425GB LESS ! !
Also note that the service is £8 cheaper than NTL also.....Makes you wonder what the NTL line will charge if you were to download 500GB to make a comparison to Ukonline....? Obviuosly not everyone can get the full 8MB and perhaps NTL see this as an oportunity to fleece alot of money form those that have no choice than to go with NTL becuase of their distance from the Exchange.......

With BT insistant that they will be able to provide 8MB to most houses anyway sometime this year, it again makes you question NTL's strategy here.
I think NTL need to offer a Higher cap on a Par with ADSL suppliers......

I could use 10Mbit quite easily and would be very happy for it, but at a 75GB cap I doubt I will be going for it becuase I would eat that 75GB in a week no problem.

I am pretty sure I will opt for one of the slower Uncapped tiers which I am hoping will will still be a substantial jump over the 3MB that I currently have Maybe a 7-8Mbit (the current rumoured 5mbit is to slow) line I would be happy with if it were uncapped......

To be Honest the MAIN thing that will make me decide on which tier I go for will be the Upstream increase that is bound to come with this. Better Ping times in online games and being able to upload quicker to FTP's etc will be what I am looking for.

10Mbit with a 75Gb cap is quite silly but like they say....

"There should be something for everyone"

If not there is always BT who will have their 8Mbit live in october hopefully. There will bound to be plenty of Uncapped providers on this, or at least a damn site higher cap than the 75GB.......

Robc66
08-08-2005, 21:16
Does any1 know what the upload speeds will be?

Neil
08-08-2005, 21:20
Does any1 know what the upload speeds will be?

No!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/186/ntl-to-make-10mb-broadband-speed-as-standard

Robc66
08-08-2005, 21:28
Sombody told me it would be 768k. I am not sure if that is true or not....But the person who tole me has never been wrong before.....

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 21:32
No!

FFS you need anger management Neil urgent, your mouth must be full of heads. :(

I'll put my own coat on thanks.

Neil
08-08-2005, 21:41
FFS you need anger management Neil urgent

You swear at me, & I need anger management?

your mouth must be full of heads. :(

Errr, yeah....ok.

I'll put my own coat on thanks.

Okies. :)

Robc66
08-08-2005, 21:43
I really hate waiting and we have another half a year to wait! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! lol

Tragedy
08-08-2005, 21:54
Sombody told me it would be 768k. I am not sure if that is true or not....But the person who tole me has never been wrong before.....
That's good enuff for me but people from U.S.A can get 2MB upload.

iron25
08-08-2005, 22:04

I know everything is speculation but if these figures are anywhere near accurate then what would be the point in anyone signing up to the 10mb tier with a cap when for the same price they can have an unlimited service without having to worry about their usage :shrug: Okay, it may only be 5mbps but does anyone not hitting over 75 gig a month really need a 10mb connection. Sure you can download a service pack in double quick time but so what if you have to wait another 3 minutes :erm: It would only make sense if you were sharing the connection. If ntl were to set their tiers like this then it seems rather backward if you ask me.

I personally think that the 75gb cap is an absolute joke considering that with a 10mb connection you could theoretically download 3000gb and I would only want a 10mb connection for one thing and one thing only, downloading. I think they should follow the example set by ukonline or bulldog and either have a 10mb unlimited service or set the cap to 500gb. Even with my heavy downloading, I think 500gb will be enough...just :)

Unfortunately, nobody knows exactly what is going to happen so I'm not going to worry about it and I will continue with my downloading habits. What I find strange is that it looks like they won't offer the unlimited service until sometime in 2006 and if they start enforcing this 75gb cap then surely they will lose customers...I know I would be one of them.

When the announcement was made it looked promising with an unlimited service being offered but finding out that it may be at a reduced speed has put a bit of a dampner on the whole announcement. What they give with one hand, they taketh with another :erm: