PDA

View Full Version : Decent flaming hoover

AndrewJ
10-08-2005, 21:07
Right I have about £100 tops, I have gone through 2 old hoovers even a dc01 ( elderly one hammered by parents )

With 4dogs and 1 cat it gets very dusty in my house and it needs daily hoovering throughout as I cannot stand being in a dirty house.

Today again another hoover bit the dust so it is time to buy new.

I would love something bagless with ooodles of power and can hoover up about anything in it's path.

ANYONE able to link to one which can hoover up very fine dust liquids perhaps be good, just something with the ability to hoover ANYTHING.

Even a noisy puppy ( JOKE!!)

andyl
10-08-2005, 21:10
I got a wet and dry (cats!) Vax from ASDA for £100 recently. Good machine and £260 in the DIY place wher you can do it. Not seen them in again at my local store (Pilsworth) but might be worth a punt at others.

AndrewJ
10-08-2005, 21:16
HMm was in mine today and they had a bagged load of crap for £49.99.

Did spot a VAX at Comet in Oldham all though it was not the new one on telly.

andyl
10-08-2005, 21:21
Mine's this: http://www.vax.co.uk/6151.asp If you can pick it up for £100 you could do worse.

marky
10-08-2005, 21:30
yo! saxo :nono: i hate to pick but i thought you wanted a hoover do you mean a vaccum cleaner :shrug:
http://www.staalplaat.org/flaming_vacuum.html

AndrewJ
10-08-2005, 21:51
I am after a vacumn cleaner hoover,dyson, carpet cleaner,

And it has to be able to clean anything simply put I am tired of them failing when cleaning a house with above average dust, and I have to clean up all the rooms as I hate a untidy house.

Ramrod
10-08-2005, 21:55
I keep thinking that the thread title reads that you are after a decent flamethrower...........(too much online gaming I suppose) :disturbd: :D

andyl
10-08-2005, 21:58
I keep thinking that the thread title reads that you are after a decent flamethrower...........(too much online gaming I suppose) :disturbd: :D

Or reference to naughty posters? ;) :D

Chimaera
10-08-2005, 21:59
We have a Dyson DC 05 vacuum, and a dog who likes to share her fur at every available opportunity. The Dyson seems to cope ok though. Mind you we bought a Vax Rapide carpet washer last week, and that seems to find even more dog hair, so perhaps the Dyson isn't as good as we thought!

AndrewJ
10-08-2005, 22:01
I would have it off you how much lol :P and can you deliver?

I have about £100 to fork out for a new one as mine died earlier tonight after I was cleaning the pc's dust out with a airspray.

Just the motor smelled made horrible noises and smoke came out :(

andyl
10-08-2005, 22:02
The Vax fan club starts here? :)

marky
10-08-2005, 22:03
ive got a dirt devil :sulk:

Gareth
10-08-2005, 22:27
Dyson here... ickle cylinder one but it's got the Animal Attachment thingy that picks up fur and hair very well indeed. Although, saying that, we only use it upstairs, as we've got wooden floors and tiling downstairs and we use a brush or a mop to clean that!

Doubt you'd get for a hundred though.

ive got a dirt devil :sulk:Had one of those once.... never again. It was pretty diabolical, and then we found out that you couldn't get the replacement bags anywhere near where we live. Shocking, I tell ya.

marky
10-08-2005, 22:29

Had one of those once.... never again. It was pretty diabolical, and then we found out that you couldn't get the replacement bags anywhere near where we live. Shocking, I tell ya.

i dont worry she doesnt use it anyway :disturbd:

greencreeper
10-08-2005, 22:35
You could always remove all the carpets, varnish the floors and buy a duster instead :shrug: Much more healthy, especially with pets.

AndrewJ
10-08-2005, 23:34
We are checking into laminate flooring downstairs

Graham
11-08-2005, 00:45
I would love something bagless with ooodles of power and can hoover up about anything in it's path.

I've just had a look around the Which? Online site. Unfortunately I can't link to the report because it's subscription only, but there's a couple from Bosch: the Bosch BSG 82000GB Ergomaxx and the Bosch BSG 71810GB Formula which are priced at £115 and £90 (these are current approximate high street prices as of August 2005, I think, at least that's the last update date given).

There's also the Miele Xtra Power 2300, Miele S571 and Miele S4210 at £69, £70 and £61 respectively.

All of these are listed as "Best Buys", however none of them got a better than "average" rating for pet hair.

The Dyson DC07 Animal, DC07, and DC 14 All Floors are all bagless and got an "excellent" rating for overall cleaning and the first two were "above average" for pet hairs (the third was only "average"), however they cost substantially more at £234, £164 and £190 respectively. The DC07 got an "above average" for ease of use, the other two were only "average".

Dysons also do have a bit of a bad reputation for reliability, although it does seem to have improved somewhat since the early days.

Other bagless ones were the Electrolux Glider Z5747 and the Morphy Richards 73310 Ultralight Cyclone which were both "excellent" at pet hairs, but below average for overall cleaning and were also marked down in other areas. They cost £40 and £70 respectively.

Finally the Sanyo SC-X130 at £74 was also "excellent" for pet hairs, but "poor" at overall cleaning and low marked overall.

So it's a bit of "you pays your money and takes your choice" :shrug:

marky
11-08-2005, 00:48
We are checking into laminate flooring downstairs

well you know who to ask about that :)

greencreeper
11-08-2005, 01:37
I've never understood bagless cleaners. It's a classic example of the marketing people creating a non-existent problem and selling you a solution. No loss of suction - well there isn't a noticable loss of suction with a bagged cleaner. No mess - well there isn't until it comes to emptying the cleaner into the bin. A gust of wind the wrong way and you're in real trouble. With a bagged cleaner, just remove the bag and bin it. Easy.

AndrewJ
11-08-2005, 03:54
Spoken to the wise one ahem the gf, shes been over at a friends who has a £99 Vax thing, tested it out and it worked fine enough so likely get one of those once I have got my 2nd system from a friend on here :D

In the meantime I have just managed to convert a 1970's Vax which only has its shampooing parts into a hoover only system with no bag just empty the bottom intake tank.

Should do me for 4week.

SMHarman
11-08-2005, 09:41
Got the Dyson Purple Animal upright one, works well.

You need to remember to wash the dust filters fairly regularly though as pet dander can clog them (though not as badly as plaster dust).

Halcyon
11-08-2005, 10:18
Check out industrial shops that do proffesional vacuum cleaners for cars, businesses, etc. They are often much more powerful and will not give up once they are stuffed full of dust or dog fur.

Stuart
12-08-2005, 09:56
Had a Dyson. Gave it up as it kept breaking, and, TBH, when it worked it was OK rather than great. But of a bummer, as we payed nearly £300 for it.

We bought an upright Vax turbo with HEPA filter to replace it*, and that picks up for more than the Dyson ever did. It was also about £80 or £90 at Tesco.com.

*When they delivered it, because no one was in, the delivery man cunningly hid it under our front door mat. The problem is, the box was rather large and white with bright orange lettering. Looked rather odd with the door mat on top of it.

AndrewJ
12-08-2005, 10:25
LMAO @ the doormat,

We have a elderly vax which is missing the filter for hoovering, but you know it just don't care it is picking everything up and so long as it lasts about 2-3week I should be able to replace it with the new upright.

Vax seems the way to go :tu:

Chris
12-08-2005, 11:17
Vax fan club it is, by the look of it!

I'm curious to know, those who have one, once you've sampled life with a wet/dry cleaner, would you ever go back to a regular dry vacuum? We have an open coal fire and a toddler, so that means coal dust, crumbs and (for the moment) potty failures. Our carpet looks like Birkenhead on a Friday night at the moment. :( :D

AndrewJ
12-08-2005, 11:34
Imagine 2 young dogs being toilet trained.

I am sure they have the ripest behinds ever known to man and there waste could be a form of energy for the entire fecking universe.

Stuart
12-08-2005, 13:21
Vax fan club it is, by the look of it!

I'm curious to know, those who have one, once you've sampled life with a wet/dry cleaner, would you ever go back to a regular dry vacuum? We have an open coal fire and a toddler, so that means coal dust, crumbs and (for the moment) potty failures. Our carpet looks like Birkenhead on a Friday night at the moment. :( :D

When I was a kid, we used to have an Aqua Vac (remember those?). It was brilliant, it picked up a hell of a lot.

Actually, IIRC, the last wet/dry cleaner I used was actually a vax and it did a good job of cleaning the carpets.

However, the best thing I have found for cleaning carpets (or pretty much any houshold item) is a Polti (http://www.polti-ltd.co.uk/) steam cleaner. We have the "Vaporetto" model. If you use it on a carpet though, you will need to vacuum afterwards as it seems to pull up a hell of a lot of dirt.

Angua
12-08-2005, 13:21
Right I have about £100 tops, I have gone through 2 old hoovers even a dc01 ( elderly one hammered by parents )

With 4dogs and 1 cat it gets very dusty in my house and it needs daily hoovering throughout as I cannot stand being in a dirty house.

Today again another hoover bit the dust so it is time to buy new.

ANYONE able to link to one which can hoover up very fine dust liquids perhaps be good, just something with the ability to hoover ANYTHING.

Even a noisy puppy ( JOKE!!)
Do you mean a Hoover (http://www.hoover.com/) or a "vacuum" cleaner (sorry am a bit picky). I have a Dirt Devil X3 (http://www.albaplc.com/html/Press/Dirt%20Devil/DirtDevil_PR.htm) copes with hair very well.