PDA

View Full Version : Usb To Ethernet

soniQ
10-08-2005, 17:18
hi, i have a problem, with regards to switching from usb to ethernet, i want to change the way my pc is connected to my modem it is a ntl:series120 (the silver sliver one)

now i have tryed switching off my pc and modem then switching the cables (unplugging the usb n putting in the ethernet) then when i re-boot the modem and pc i go to surf n i have no connection it's as if my pc doesn't recognise my modem is connected

any1..........:S:S:S:S

Stuart
10-08-2005, 17:18
:welcome: to Cableforum.

First, what operating system are you using (Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP)?

Bear in mind that Windows will not actually detect your modem. All it actually "knows" when you plug a device in via Ethernet is that there is a device on the other end of the cable it can communicate with. It does not know what that device is.

If you go to Network Connections in Control Panel, you will see a list of connections. One should say "Local Area Connection" (or similar). Underneath this, there is a line that describes the state of the connection. What does this line say?

MovedGoalPosts
10-08-2005, 17:20
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

OK, so first you have switched off modem and PC. Then you've disconnected the USB leads (from modem and PC), and plugged in the ethernet (both modem and PC). You have then switched on the modem, allowed that to settle, then switched on the PC?

What OS are you running. Check the drivers for your network card in the PC are current and enabled. (look in device settings). Try the speed setting of the network device in the computer too, sometimes they don't autosense properly the 10mbit speed of the modem and try to use 100mbit.

Firewalls often cause problems, try disabling them and see if that makes a difference.

soniQ
10-08-2005, 17:24
:welcome: to Cableforum.

First, what operating system are you using (Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000 or XP)?

Bear in mind that Windows will not actually detect your modem. All it actually "knows" when you plug a device in via Ethernet is that there is a device on the other end of the cable it can communicate with. It does not know what that device is.

If you go to Network Connections in Control Panel, you will see a list of connections. One should say "Local Area Connection" (or similar). Underneath this, there is a line that describes the state of the connection. What does this line say?

i'm using windows 2000 so i dnt see local arean connection in cp i do c my NIC card n that says enalble next to it

Stuart
10-08-2005, 18:03
Right click on it, select "Status". What does it say?

soniQ
10-08-2005, 19:26
staus on NIC when ethernet cable is connected is
speed :10mps
sent :77
recieved: 0

jaycee
10-08-2005, 21:27
You need to check the IP settings are on "Automatically configure". Also check the cable.

Tuftus
10-08-2005, 21:50
For win2k advice this may be of some help -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/basicset.html#win2k

Hope this helps...