PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Week wait for engineer - 4db attenuator fitted

2old4this
16-07-2005, 11:15
this taking the **** now avery time i ring up they dont know why they have not rang me. gave my mobile to as i am working from 7am-6pm. from there records no has tried ringing me. avery time i ring they put a new request for a engineer

Raistlin
16-07-2005, 12:53
Sounds like a job for.....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=81

2old4this
16-07-2005, 15:49
Sounds like a job for.....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=81

allready done it last week

MovedGoalPosts
16-07-2005, 15:53
Keep doing it, the more feedback they get, especially if ongoing issues, the more likelihood someone will solve it.

You are giving a mobile number, have you got a landline you could try, just in case.

Why does an engineer need to phone you? If it's a fault that cannot be fixed remotely, then surely they should make an appointment to send a tech out to you while you are online :confused:

2old4this
17-07-2005, 03:14
Keep doing it, the more feedback they get, especially if ongoing issues, the more likelihood someone will solve it.

You are giving a mobile number, have you got a landline you could try, just in case.

Why does an engineer need to phone you? If it's a fault that cannot be fixed remotely, then surely they should make an appointment to send a tech out to you while you are online :confused:

the reason i have given them by mobile is cause i am at work and may miss the landline call. A engineer or CS need to phone me so i know then they are turning up so i can be at home at that time

MovedGoalPosts
17-07-2005, 10:22
OK, but you are still best advised to actually make and agree the appointment slot (usually 08:00 - 12:00, 12:00 - 16:00 & 16:00 - 20:00). Then you know when an engineer is due. Then you can "hope" for a call when he's leaving the previous job.

If you haven't actually made an appointment, the techs are that busy that their schedules are full, and controlled by the ntl office staff, not the techs. The techs will never get a chance to get round to you.

Monserrat
20-07-2005, 14:12
I work a 42-hour week and had to arrange for a flatmate to be in during the tech visits a few weeks back.

The tech actually rang me anyway because the problem with my NTl connection was actually with somebody else's house. Once the offending house was fixed, my line went back up! The engineer had the decency to call in too and spoke to my flatmate about it. All good.

For your reference, it was in Stafford, Corporation Street, ST16. I do understand that the level of service can depend on where you are in the UK.

2old4this
20-07-2005, 17:08
I was told some should turn up between 1200. 18.00 today

2old4this
20-07-2005, 17:43
Turned up fixed new cable connector & a new splitter and carried few tests
and said someone will turn up and do some changes at the green box

Monserrat
22-07-2005, 12:17
Ah right. Does this mean that green boxes I see on the side of my street are the NTL signal boxes? They're about three feet high and coloured in an army-green colour. Maybe one box in every 100 metres?

2old4this
08-08-2005, 18:25
Same old problem again get disconnected very 20mins got a engineer coming in the morning

2old4this
09-08-2005, 13:09
Today i had a cable simulator installed as i had connection drop off problems
for some reason my AVG will not update. also my son plays pool on http://games.amishdonkey.com/pool/ and the popup page on that site comes up as page can not be dislayed when you click on a room. are theys problem due to the 4dB cable simulator

This the link of the modem problem i have
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=32003

Ignition
09-08-2005, 13:27
Doubtful these issues are due to the 4dB cable simulator, whatever that is :confused:

Maybe an attenuator, in any case that won't be causing it, you'd be seeing connection drops rather than page loading issues.

2old4this
09-08-2005, 19:40
Doubtful these issues are due to the 4dB cable simulator, whatever that is :confused:

Maybe an attenuator, in any case that won't be causing it, you'd be seeing connection drops rather than page loading issues.

i thought the reason cable simulator was put on was to stop the connection drops?

MovedGoalPosts
09-08-2005, 19:49
The strenght of signals over cable can vary. A tech will have made various adjustments to the amplifier in the cabinet, as per your previous thread. However you've had other techs trying to make adjustments based onthe signals at that earlier time, to your house. Now the signal strength, because of the cabinet adjustments, has changed the attenuator fitted may well be of an incorrect rating. YOur back to needing a tech to call again.

What seems odd to me is why the techs couldn't check and adjust the signal at your house / cab at the same time. Those who call on me, have always done so.

Thread merged with previous one

This should enable all readers to understand the chain of events.

spike7451
09-08-2005, 20:33
We use 3 types of 'jellybean' as they are known.Forward Path Equalisers,Forward Path Attenuators & Cable Simulators.Basically,Their use is determined by the signal levels at the end of the cable at various points,(omni box,SACM,STB,ect).A attenuator will lower all the signal levels by the value of the one fitted,A equaliser will lower the Analog signal & decrease the slope between the analog & digital signals.A Simulator decreases the signal level if your property is too close to the cab .It sort of takes 50 meters & turns it into 70 meters in other words.It's quite complicated to understand tho.
And with regards to the timeslots customers are given,it my franchise ,we work 9am to 5pm (Contractors 8am to 6pm)
Spike

2old4this
11-08-2005, 14:55
looks like i have make some more calls as it been going down since last night