PDA

View Full Version : BB Ethernet problem

garyparson
08-08-2005, 18:03
Over the last few weeks my ethernet connection via the stb has been very intermittant. Sometimes going off for a few days or staying on for a few days. It says 'network cable disconnected'. To cut a long story short an engineer came out and checked everything out with his laptop. That worked fine so I assumed that there was something wrong with my network card. Went the shop and bought one, put it in, same problem.

Tried the usb adaptor and it connects (after registering again).

What can I do to sort out the ethernet connection? I've tried to reinstall the drivers with no luck. I have Win XP Home.

MovedGoalPosts
08-08-2005, 18:06
hmm, what type of STB? Do you have any software running, especially P2P that might be "overwhelming" the connection? You have checked your PC has current A/V, antispyware, etc. If you are running a firewall, does it make any difference turned off?

Does the connection stay stable via USB, but not on ehternet?

Roy MM
08-08-2005, 18:14
Had the same problem awhile back, i changed the network cable and it's been troublefree since.

garyparson
08-08-2005, 18:19
hmm, what type of STB? Do you have any software running, especially P2P that might be "overwhelming" the connection? You have checked your PC has current A/V, antispyware, etc. If you are running a firewall, does it make any difference turned off?

Does the connection stay stable via USB, but not on ehternet?

Samsung STB
AVG Free running
Ran Spy Sweeper, Spy Bot and AdAware
Only firewall is the windows one.

I've only but the adaptor back on an hour ago but so far so good. Not that I want usb connection.

Had the same problem awhile back, i changed the network cable and it's been troublefree since.
It's been working on and off for three weeks now and like i say, it's working now with the usb connection. Also, the engineer had his laptop fired up on it today fine.

Neil
08-08-2005, 18:22
Samsung STB
AVG Free running
Ran Spy Sweeper, Spy Bot and AdAware
Only firewall is the windows one.

I've only but the adaptor back on an hour ago but so far so good. Not that I want usb connection.

It's been working on and off for three weeks now and like i say, it's working now with the usb connection. Also, the engineer had his laptop fired up on it today fine.

You've answered your own query!

Change the lead. ;)

garyparson
08-08-2005, 19:04
the usb adaptor uses the same lead as the ethernet. it's only an adaptor isn't it. surely that rules out the cable more than pointing to it?

Also the engineer used the same cable without the adaptor.

spiderplant
08-08-2005, 19:34
the usb adaptor uses the same lead as the ethernet. it's only an adaptor isn't it. surely that rules out the cable more than pointing to it?

Also the engineer used the same cable without the adaptor.

Here's my theory... Your PC is trying to use 100Mbps, but the cable isn't good enough to support this. The USB adaptor only supports 10BaseT so the STB negotiates down and it then works OK. Try locking your Ethernet port down to 10Mbps/half-duplex.

This wasn't an issue for Pace STBs, because they don't support 100BaseT.

If it's not that, I'd say your Ethernet card is faulty.

garyparson
08-08-2005, 20:17
I've already been to the shop and bought one as I thought that straight away. The one I have is built on the motherboard. Both of em give the same result. I'll try what you mention tomorrow as I'm going to work soon and won't have time to try it.

What i don't get it why does it work for three days then go down? It seems totally random as to when it comes on or goes off. Like I say, I'll try the previous thing tomorrow. Hope it doesn't screw the usb one up or i'm done for hehe..

ian@huth
09-08-2005, 00:44
Could be a faulty ethernet cable which works until it is moved slightly and then stops working until it is moved again. Alternatively it could be a faulty ethernet port on the modem which either loses the connection when the modem gets to a certain temperature and regains it when it gets cooler or loses the connection if the cable is moved slightly. You could try wiggling the cable when connected via ethernet and the connection is OK to see if that drops the conncetion.

KevAmiga
11-08-2005, 18:34
As suggested... Put your NIC on 10base 1/2 Duplex mode! Should sort out the problem... Let me know if you dont know where to change it. Known issue with Samsung STB's. (as already stated above .... )

garyparson
12-08-2005, 05:43
I Won't get back home til Saturday night to try this method. I'm curious as to why it's worked for months on end then start playing up like that? It's an odd one. Like I say, I'll try that setting, I had a quick look at where it was before I went away so I know where to change it. I'll let you know how I get on with it. Bearing in mind that last week it worked for three days before it did it again. Very odd.

KevAmiga
12-08-2005, 12:05
Odder things have happened ... :)

Robbie
12-08-2005, 23:47
I'm not sure if this could be a similar problem for me too.

At some point my Local Area Connection Status has suddenly altered to 10.0mbps speed. I'm quite sure it used to be 100.0mps.

In addition I have recently changed computer and have had problems reconnecting to broadband when I disable the connection (it might sound silly, but I'm on the 1mb service and I'm trying to keep within the 3GB cap limit per month, to adapt before it gets enforced). As I often use the computer for resons other than the intenet, and for extended periods at a time, the data useage amounts to a fair amount when I'm not really using the internet. On my old computer I could just disable then enable with no problem, on this computer it's often troublesome. I wait while a "acquiring network address" message displays, often for sometime and the only way to speed things up is to restart my computer, to re-establish the connection. Given I'm busy working on projects this isn't always an easy option as it means saving work, closing programs etc. If I configure IP properties manually, inputting IP address, subnet etc plus DNS it re-establishes almost immediately, like it did with the old computer.

So, in brief could someone explain:

1. why my LAC speed seems one tenth of what it used to appear to be (my broadband speeds seem no different, and I don't understand any of the terms above, NIC, 10 base, duplexes etc, nor really what they mean - sorry!)

2. could the above be the cause of DHCP not always being able to obtain the IP address automatically? It first shows - for no reason - as "network cable unplugged" then this "acquiring network address". It then may connect virtually immediately or seeming take forever.

3. Is it safe to manually enter IP and DNS addresses in the Network Connections - Local Area Connection (LAN/High Speed Internet) - Properties - Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties. This searches for the IP address manually, but seemingly connects almost immediately (though again with "Network Cable Unplugged" then "Acquiring Network Address" messages for a second or so.

Thanks, I've searched for a thread that seems close to the problem / puzzlements I'm having and this appears the closest.

Robbie

(some technical info:

Windows XP Home SP2
Samsung STB connection to computer -same STB as for previous computer
Ethernet
same ethernet cables as for previous computer
I don't know if this 10.0mbps started recently or perhaps when I changed computers, I only noticed two days ago though)

KevAmiga
13-08-2005, 11:42
Ok, dont worry about 10mbps.

Your STB is pumping the "feed" through at 1mbps, so if you imagine ..

NTL >>>>(1mbps)>>>>STB>>>>(10mbps)>>>>YOURPC

So you see.. the connection is 1mbps through a 10mbps line so its speed isnt affected at all.

If your PC was showing 2mbps, it would still run at full speed. Its just the link speed of the NTL device. People have problems when their ethernet cards think the NTL box runs at 100mbps, im not sure why but im guessing it causes authentication / collision issues along the ethernet connection.

HTH

Kev

garyparson
14-08-2005, 03:48
Ok, I've turned the ethernet down to 10Mbps/half-duplex and booted up, it works. So far anyway! I'll see how it goes. If it works, thanks for the help, if it doesn't, I'll be back! Cheers for now.

jaycee
14-08-2005, 13:27
The samsung boxes don't seem to want to support auto negotiation correctly (odd since as they are based on an Intel network chip!). Forcing your network adapter to 10mbit half duplex should solve everything :)