PDA

View Full Version : Upload limit increases?

mojo
07-08-2005, 11:10
The 2MB package has a 300k upload cap on it at the moment, which seems awfully low.

Problems arise when trying to run P2P software, particularly BitTorrent which needs many open connections and a fair chunk of upload bandwidth. It's also an issue for gamers who like to use voice chat while maintaining a low ping, or people who email large files or upload to usenet in any way.

So, any chance NTL will ever increase the limit? Why does NTL cap it so low? What is the technical/financial benefit of doing so, other than limiting the customers ability to use P2P properly?

PS. Sorry, should have been in the Broadband Discussion forum.

handyman
07-08-2005, 11:38
It all down to the physical limits of providing the service, I think theres some better info here (http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/#Asymmetry) .

Ignition
07-08-2005, 11:57
The 2MB package has a 300k upload cap on it at the moment, which seems awfully low.

Problems arise when trying to run P2P software, particularly BitTorrent which needs many open connections and a fair chunk of upload bandwidth. It's also an issue for gamers who like to use voice chat while maintaining a low ping, or people who email large files or upload to usenet in any way.

So, any chance NTL will ever increase the limit? Why does NTL cap it so low? What is the technical/financial benefit of doing so, other than limiting the customers ability to use P2P properly?

PS. Sorry, should have been in the Broadband Discussion forum.

It's 200k on the 2Mbit and the whole problem is people using Bittorrent and the like and leaving it on all the time, for hours / days / weeks on end. Even with the big difference between upload and download speeds upload usage is close to download for a good part of the day and it's far from unknown for it to be higher in both some areas (the odd area it's higher pretty much all the time) and the network as a whole.

Chrysalis
08-08-2005, 02:56
It's 200k on the 2Mbit and the whole problem is people using Bittorrent and the like and leaving it on all the time, for hours / days / weeks on end. Even with the big difference between upload and download speeds upload usage is close to download for a good part of the day and it's far from unknown for it to be higher in both some areas (the odd area it's higher pretty much all the time) and the network as a whole.

thats insane.

mojo
08-08-2005, 18:41
Thanks for the comments. Handyman, your info was interesting to say the least, I didn't know it was that bad for cable providers. It certainly explains why ADSL has much better upload rates though (even the initial 512k offerings has 256 up).

Ignition: yeah, people do have BT on 24/7, but that's because it takes so long to download anything with a 200k upload :(

So it seems that NTL will never raise their upload caps because of the limits of the system. How will they keep up, with 8Mb ADSL already available? 200k up isn't even enough to max out an 8Mb line with more than one or two connections.

Tragedy
08-08-2005, 21:50
T

Ignition: yeah, people do have BT on 24/7, but that's because it takes so long to download anything with a 200k upload :(

:shrug:
NTL has 300k upload with 3MB product.

jonbr
09-08-2005, 08:20
I wonder what the upload speed will be with the recently announced 10Mb connections?

mojo
09-08-2005, 19:47
I wonder what the cap will be with the recently announced 10Mb connections? :)

With a 10Mb connection, you really need at least a 1Mb upload. That's only 1/10th of the download, same as the current offerings. It's also barely enough, really 1/2 the download speed is needed.

Halcyon
10-08-2005, 15:21
Yeah I'd agree with that. 1mb upload on 10mb download speed should be the minimum by far ! NTL upload speeds are a joke.