PDA

View Full Version : eBay Picture Sizes

Raistlin
06-08-2005, 18:34
Hi Guys,

Just after a quick bit of advice.

I'm about to start listing my comic collection on eBay (it's about time the whole lot went :) ) and I'm scanning in the covers.

At the moment they seem to be scanning in at about 300+ K, is this too big for an image file on an eBay listing?

I've been looking at some other auctions, some are about 70+ K and others I've seen are about 250+ K.

Anybody got any thoughts? Should I be resizing them, or scanning at a lower res? At the moment they're going in at 72dpi.

I've included an example image below so you can get an idea of what sort of thing I'm scanning (and how the scans look).

Cheers.

Paul K
06-08-2005, 18:36
Keep them higher res if you want people to see that they are in good condition, low res scans can lead to a lot of questions.

Raistlin
06-08-2005, 18:39
Is the picture size going to put people off though? I suppose what I'm thinking is that it might take a while to load in some browsers?

I suppose that's not so much of a problem in today's BroadBand world though ?

Paul K
06-08-2005, 18:43
Well they sugest 50Kb or less for fast load times.
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/photo_tutorial2.html
You could scan at high res and then resize the image to shrink the file size but I would think that people would prefer to be able to see detail.

How about using a low res image but have a line in your sale description offering people the chance to email you for more details and a higher res image of the item. You could then upload images to a host and link to them from there or attach an image to the reply email.

Raistlin
06-08-2005, 19:04
Cool, thanks Paul :tu:

Ok, on a slightly different note.....

Can anybody tell me how bright the red on this cover looks please?

On my desktop monitor it looks really red (as it should) but on the Laptop it looks more brown and dull.

Thanks.

It should be a really bright red (something like the colour of the red on the St George's Cross, or the old Post Boxes).

Roy MM
06-08-2005, 19:05
Not overly bright on my PC.

Angua
06-08-2005, 19:08
Cool, thanks Paul :tu:

Ok, on a slightly different note.....

Can anybody tell me how bright the red on this cover looks please?

On my desktop monitor it looks really red (as it should) but on the Laptop it looks more brown and dull.

Thanks.

It should be a really bright red (something like the colour of the red on the St George's Cross, or the old Post Boxes).

Looks more tomato soup colour to me

marky
06-08-2005, 19:09
same red as pauls avatar to me

Raistlin
06-08-2005, 19:09
Looks more tomato soup colour to me

Hmmm.

That's how it looks on the laptop, it should be the colour of a really fresh tomato though - which is how it looks on the desktop.

I guess it's just down to the different ways that the monitors display the colours.

Angua
06-08-2005, 19:12
Hmmm.

That's how it looks on the laptop, it should be the colour of a really fresh tomato though - which is how it looks on the desktop.

I guess it's just down to the different ways that the monitors display the colours.

Having seen tomatoes from green right through to black (and all edible) soup was the best I could do.

Raistlin
06-08-2005, 19:14
Having seen tomatoes from green right through to black (and all edible) soup was the best I could do.

Appreciate the help, thanks :tu:

makikomi
06-08-2005, 19:29
Do a decent resolution scan, but then use a Jpg compressor to get the best balance of quality and size.

Incidentally, the red on the picture wasn't overly bright to me - it is similar to the red on a STOP sign.

altis
06-08-2005, 19:47
You can host your own images if you want - they don't have to be on eBay.

For example:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altissa/dsr9500/

pop80_uk
06-08-2005, 22:47
You can host your own images if you want - they don't have to be on eBay.

For example:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/altissa/dsr9500/

As above I host all my pictures for auctions on photo bucket.
Its very easy then to use really good pictures and quality ones.

Roy MM
06-08-2005, 22:52
As above I host all my pictures for auctions on photo bucket.
Its very easy then to use really good pictures and quality ones.

Agree i like photobucket for hosting, never had a problem.

Raistlin
06-08-2005, 22:58
Cheers for the advice guys.

I think I'm only going to need one image per auction though so not sure I need to worry about any other hosting. I'll just upload the one image with eBay - might as well get my money's worth out of them :)

Halcyon
08-08-2005, 15:43
Do remember that if you host using ebay pictures the size is often reduced. If you host your own picture and embed it using html IMG tag, then your picture will come out full size.

Its also worth hosting your own images if you have more than one as ebay charge you for more than one pic.
Good luck.