PDA

View Full Version : welshia virus and BB installer

Bex
09-10-2003, 16:44
i'm not impressed.....we hooked up a new pc (with no virus') to the ntl BB and couldnt access the net, other than google.....because it had the welshia virus....so we got a thing to get rid of it...........we then had to reinstall the BB on another pc (cos dad mucked up the other) and again was virus free before hand, used the installer disc and again got the same virus.....
has anyone else found this to be a problem?

Mark W
09-10-2003, 16:58
i'm not impressed.....we hooked up a new pc (with no virus') to the ntl BB and couldnt access the net, other than google.....because it had the welshia virus....so we got a thing to get rid of it...........we then had to reinstall the BB on another pc (cos dad mucked up the other) and again was virus free before hand, used the installer disc and again got the same virus.....
has anyone else found this to be a problem?

yea, if you go online without getting your pc protected BEFOREHAND, youll get the virus AS SOON as you get a connection :(

Bex
09-10-2003, 17:01
yea, if you go online without getting your pc protected BEFOREHAND, youll get the virus AS SOON as you get a connection :(

it's frustrating.........but it only seems to happen with our xp puter.......the win 98 one is fine

Mark W
09-10-2003, 17:03
it's frustrating.........but it only seems to happen with our xp puter.......the win 98 one is fine

yep - the welchia (and msblast) viruses (virii if you will) only effect XP and 2000

Bex
09-10-2003, 17:08
yep - the welchia (and msblast) viruses (virii if you will) only effect XP and 2000

cheers for that mark....was just having a whinge really ;)
dad asked me to post and ask ppl.....and since i wont let him on this forum i had too :P

MovedGoalPosts
09-10-2003, 17:12

Sometimes the older technolocgy will be best. Use the win 98 PC to get to the microsoft support site. From there you will be able to find and download the patches against the win XP vulnerability that allows the MS blast virus. Copy that patch to a clean floppy and onto your XP puter BEFORE you connect that XP computer to internet (even dial up). Once the patch has been run you should then have time to connect, update you antivirus and fully patch the XP system before something else nasty has time to get in.

I've said it before however, chicken and egg time. How does the average user protect his clean / new PC from a virus which will speedily infect the unpatched PC, when they cannot log on to the net to get the AV program updated / windows (out of the box) patched without using the internet?

Bex
09-10-2003, 17:26
Sometimes the older technolocgy will be best. Use the win 98 PC to get to the microsoft support site. From there you will be able to find and download the patches against the win XP vulnerability that allows the MS blast virus. Copy that patch to a clean floppy and onto your XP puter BEFORE you connect that XP computer to internet (even dial up). Once the patch has been run you should then have time to connect, update you antivirus and fully patch the XP system before something else nasty has time to get in.

I've said it before however, chicken and egg time. How does the average user protect his clean / new PC from a virus which will speedily infect the unpatched PC, when they cannot log on to the net to get the AV program updated / windows (out of the box) patched without using the internet?

this is what we did in the end.....we hooked my pc up (the 98) and downloaded the virus patch and then we hooked the xp up..............

if ntl keep a record of everytime u hook ur bb up to a pc, they are gonna think we are mad

XFS03
10-10-2003, 11:52
Turning on the inbuilt XP firewall before connecting to the net should have prevented the welchia & msblast worms from getting to the PC.

Taf
10-10-2003, 18:31
I'm still getting hundreds of connection attempts from other NTL (and now Virgin) addresses getting blocked by my firewall... so that means there are still loads of people out there who are STILL unpatched after all this time....

A massive waste of bandwidth!

Would it be worth sending in a list of these addresses so that NTL could inform these people ... or even threaten to take them offline if they don't patch their Os?

blackthorn
10-10-2003, 20:25
Are there other symptons besides the rebooting thing of this virus?
Reason I ask is, my mate has just bought a new pc and connected it to his BB and whenever he starts up, the screen just freezes whenever he clicks on anything.

Bex
11-10-2003, 19:49
Reason I ask is, my mate has just bought a new pc and connected it to his BB and whenever he starts up, the screen just freezes whenever he clicks on anything.

if he's just bought it he should be able to take it back.........

we had that problem with one of our older pcs......ended up totally re-formatting the hard drive...the downloaded the virus patch before putting it on BB (from another pc) and managed to get rid of virus quikly once we did the installation of the BB

Steve H
12-10-2003, 00:32

Probably best running a Virus check, and whacking a firewall on..

Not getting half as many hits on my firewall now..

iadom
12-10-2003, 15:31
Probably best running a Virus check, and whacking a firewall on..

Not getting half as many hits on my firewall now..

I have had over 100 in 45 mins 99% ntl customers.:grind: