PDA

View Full Version : Broadband in a council flat.

Slyder
05-08-2005, 22:07
A friend of mine is trying to become a new 1 meg user and is currently in a council flat. For anyone whos interested, were in Coventry and the flat is owned by Whitefrias "whos constant changing of the rules is only delaying the process" As most of you know, NTL's first gripe was they need written permission to install services in my mates place. Whitefrias are saying if NTL have to drill, then my friend cant have the service installed on the 5th floor. Well of course there gonna need to make at least one drill point, to get the wire out into the open. Also, is this a standard policy for Whitefrias, its just I could of sworn blind my sister had the same service installed at her place owned by the same people, not to mention my mates neighbour who lives no more then 2 feet away on the same floor, who had the complete NTL package put into place.

Why is getting NTL installed at a flat, so ruddy difficult :mad: We have been going around in circles now for a week, so on Monday I am going to ask Whitefrias if the whole "is there gonna be drilling" buisness relevant, because of course there is gonna be drilling. Just like there has been at a number of other addresses you own. :mad:

Sorry peeps, I just needed to let out some steam. :)
Anyone else had problems getting NTL installed at a flat ?

Roy MM
05-08-2005, 22:14
Tell the council that you need the hole drilling for telephony, regardless of who provides it you will need a hole drilling, think they are being a pain. imo

Slyder
05-08-2005, 22:24
Tell the council that you need the hole drilling for telephony, regardless of who provides it you will need a hole drilling, think they are being a pain. imo

Could do, but we already told them its for BB, so thats gonna like dodgey if we change tactics. I could always "as a last resort" mention trading standards. There must be something somewhere which talks about letting someone have a service and not the other.

danielf
05-08-2005, 22:27
Could do, but we already told them its for BB, so thats gonna like dodgey if we change tactics. I could always "as a last resort" mention trading standards. There must be something somewhere which talks about letting someone have a service and not the other.

Technically, you need permission from the property's owner. It might be worthwhile to check the lease though. Some have a stipulation about permission not being unreasonably withheld. Who supplies phone/tele atm?

Roy MM
05-08-2005, 22:29
But a basic phone line needs a line in, IE a hole drilling.

On another point, if you needed to install a dryer that needed a heat vent, would you not be allowed to install it?. or a convector fan?, think a 3/4mm hole is not even covered by council permission.

Slyder
05-08-2005, 22:35
Technically, you need permission from the property's owner. It might be worthwhile to check the lease though. Some have a stipulation about permission not being unreasonably withheld. Who supplies phone/tele atm?

Theres a dead phone line at the moment, used to be on BT. He used to have AOL, but fancys a move to NTL to save £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£. As for TV, he has ya standard 5 channel television atm, with the addition of a lousy freeview box.

danielf
05-08-2005, 22:40
Theres a dead phone line at the moment, used to be on BT. He used to have AOL, but fancys a move to NTL to save £ÃÆ ’‚£Ãà¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£. As for TV, he has ya standard 5 channel television atm, with the addition of a lousy freeview box.

Tell the council he's having NTL tele as well. I bet they would prefer that to sky sticking a dish on the wall. The council supply housing. Housing is for living in. It's not an unreasonable request to be able to watch the footie at home...

Slyder
05-08-2005, 22:44
Tell the council he's having NTL tele as well. I bet they would prefer that to sky sticking a dish on the wall. The council supply housing. Housing is for living in. It's not an unreasonable request to be able to watch the footie at home...

No probs, I never thought of it like that. Ill get him to say it in them words. :)

Slyder
06-08-2005, 16:03
Saturday - 6th April.

Cant really do much today as everyone @ Whitefrias are lazy and think weekends are not a working day. I called NTL thou and spoke to a nice chap who told me he still needed to know if my friend got the council to make contact with NTL's construction department. Personally this was the 1st I had heard about a construction department, but my friend said thats who the girl at the council called and emailed (god knows where she got there email addy from)

I rang up CS again where I told this story (again) to another memeber of NTL staff who didnt know any other sentance other then "un-serviceable - if we do your flat, we have to cable everyone elses flat who lives there. We cant do it". Right ok, thats not what I was told earlier in the week and certainly not what I was told earlier today. So as you do, I put the phone down then hit redial knowing I would get thru to someone with an IQ higher then 1. Ta-da. The next gentleman remembered me, from Friday. I explained my friend had got the council girl to make contact with NTL's construction people and would like to know if a decision was made. He went on to tell me I would be best of speaking to the original young lady at NTL as she is still dealing with my friends order. Thats fair enough, just to bad she is not in till Monday. :(

If the deal for 1meg @ £9.99 finishes, would anyone know if my friend is still entitled to it. Its just he originally called up to get services installed last week sometime. :rolleyes:

spike7451
06-08-2005, 18:31
Is the cable already in place?it maybe in external trunking running up the outside of the building,which as it's 5th floor,i cant see as getting to it would be a bugger & probably against NTL H & S policy.More likely,it comes in thru internal trunking which ends by the front door.If either is the case,then the council has already given permission just by the fact of the cabling already being there.
Just take a look above your neighbours doors for cabling entering the flats,that alone will,to my mind,negate the councils argument.

Angua
06-08-2005, 18:45
Is it "Council" or a "Housing Association"? Most are quite obliging normally; my mate who is having problems getting NTL fitted at the mo is in a Local Housing Association place and they are no bother. Nor was there any probs when Telewest went in to Ma in Laws. Push comes to shove contact your local Councillor they should help?

robocop_uk10
06-08-2005, 22:01
Is the cable already in place?it maybe in external trunking running up the outside of the building,which as it's 5th floor,i cant see as getting to it would be a bugger & probably against NTL H & S policy.More likely,it comes in thru internal trunking which ends by the front door.If either is the case,then the council has already given permission just by the fact of the cabling already being there.
Just take a look above your neighbours doors for cabling entering the flats,that alone will,to my mind,negate the councils argument.thata correct as ntls h&s policy says that we are not aloud higher than a 3 teir ladder witch is in genral the 3rd floor so u need to see if its intrenaly wired if not the im sorry but it will be UN-SERVICABLE witch fir you or your mate thats bad look.

if i can assist any more just let me know

Slyder
06-08-2005, 22:03
Is it "Council" or a "Housing Association"?

Housing Association. It was owned by Cov council until Whitefriars bought them out.

I have just found a copy of my tenancy & rights here. http://www.whitefriarshousing.co.uk/documents/policy-documents/Your%20Tenancy%20&%20Your%20Rights.pdf , plus I have just come across a contact us page. I have both email addresses, so maybe an emial to parties may do the trick ? I have the very nice lady's email address at NTL.

Good idea / bad idea ? - also, how could I word it :confused:

Angua
06-08-2005, 22:33
Housing Association. It was owned by Cov council until Whitefriars bought them out.

I have just found a copy of my tenancy & rights here. http://www.whitefriarshousing.co.uk/documents/policy-documents/Your%20Tenancy%20&%20Your%20Rights.pdf , plus I have just come across a contact us page. I have both email addresses, so maybe an emial to parties may do the trick ? I have the very nice lady's email address at NTL.

Good idea / bad idea ? - also, how could I word it :confused:
I should check to see if there is internal trunking first because judging by the H&S point regarding heights of ladders you may not be able to have cable NTL anyway. If there is central trunking in place there should be no bother with permission from the HA. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif It works out for you.

Slyder
06-08-2005, 23:13
I should check to see if there is internal trunking first because judging by the H&S point regarding heights of ladders you may not be able to have cable NTL anyway. If there is central trunking in place there should be no bother with permission from the HA. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif It works out for you.

Trunking :confused: Is that like the main cable ? It's just theres a lot of cables floating around his building. We know for sure other people have cable installed even one guy on the 8th floor, so surely the 5th shouldnt be a problem. Also what bugs me is that NTL's online checker shows the following. Flat 29 is just a few doors away on the same floor. I dont know if this is relevant - bear in mind my friends number is not listed below, but 2 flats are.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.robson2/nthellworld%20forum/ntl.JPG

Slyder
08-08-2005, 17:43
Well I got thru to NTL's construction department who went on to tell me my mate could not have it. The block of flats have never been cabled because when the council owned it all, they refused to let NTL make the upgrades unless NTL gave em alot of money which of course they said no to.

ahh well... whats the longest wireless networking kit you can buy, out of curiosity. :confused:

AndrewJ
09-08-2005, 09:06
Buy him a laptop with wireless and drive him to your local council offices so he can leech the net off them.

:D ;)

Slyder
09-08-2005, 19:34
Buy him a laptop with wireless and drive him to your local council offices so he can leech the net off them.

lol... could do.

As a last resort we was gonna try a wireless link to my rig, but theres a good 10min walk from here to there so I dunno if that would work. :confused:

MovedGoalPosts
09-08-2005, 19:41
Standard wireless degrades quite quickly with walls and the like in the way of the signals. It's no intended to get much further than the average sized house.

Looks like you mate is going to be stuck with an ADSL solution assuming BT are allowed to install a phone line.