PDA

View Full Version : Broadband registration problem...

ChrisPy1
05-08-2005, 10:31
Apolgies if this has been covered before - I have done a search, but cannot find it !

A friend has just had NTL BB installed (stand alone modem). When we try and register, we get as far as accepting the terms and conditions (i.e. the modem is talking to NTL, getting account details etc), and then it fails to complete with an error. This happens with the CD installer, or via the web page. BB support have no solutions, and simply say "it should work, try again tomorrow" ! We have tried for 3 days now, with no change in result , and no change in advice from BB support ! Anybody have any clues ?

Windows XP, SACM , 1Meg BB, there is no other NTL service to the house - the phone is BT, TV is terrestrial aerial !

Also, does anybody know if I can register the new account from my house (obviously with the new modem attached), or if I keep having to visit to try it ? I already have NTL BB, so I guess if it's only associating an account with a modem MAC address, then it should be ok to do, but I'm not sure !

Any advice gratefully received. The package is about to be cancelled if we can't get it working in the next few days !:mad:

simpsonsFAN
05-08-2005, 10:34
When you use the ntl autosignup webpage, what error do you get?
-Chris

ChrisPy1
05-08-2005, 10:36
The web page says something like "cannot complete registration: SYSTEM ERROR" Can't remember the exact phrase , but the reported error is definitely "system error"

simpsonsFAN
05-08-2005, 10:44
Theres no mention of a regestration server fault on the ntl service status site. Could you try the autosignup site again today and paste the exact error message on here?
-Chris

Stuart
05-08-2005, 10:44
Also, does anybody know if I can register the new account from my house (obviously with the new modem attached), or if I keep having to visit to try it ? I already have NTL BB, so I guess if it's only associating an account with a modem MAC address, then it should be ok to do, but I'm not sure !

Any advice gratefully received. The package is about to be cancelled if we can't get it working in the next few days !:mad:

I don't think that would work, partly because I believe that when NTL register a new modem, the network's address is also used, and you may well be on a different network to your friend. The other reason is because it sounds like the account hasn't been set up properly their end. Try calling Customer Services or BB faults again.

If that fails, post here again, some of our members are NTL staff members, and hopefully they'll be able to look into it for you.

BTW, :welcome: to Cableforum.

ChrisPy1
05-08-2005, 10:46
OK, will try and get to it again today, but may not be able to get back on here until later in the weekend.

Thanks for your help so far.