PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade woes.

KN4995
04-08-2005, 09:10
Hi.

Straight to the point - never ever thought I'd warrant having a 2MB connection. To be honest, when I was upgraded to 1024 for free, it was more than I needed. But now I'm working from home, I needed a better upspeed, so opted for 2MB - Samsung box delivered yesterday and switch over flawless.

However, since doing so, my browsing has become a nightmare! My d/l and u/l speeds are fantastic, but the browser pages seem to load quckly, then 'freeze'. Images take a loooooooong time or don't arrive at all. It feels like everything's trying to get in at once and the browser can't cope?
I was advised to alter my RWIN which I have as per http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and Dr.TCP and it's now 28416. This means very little to me and I have gained little or no improvement.
Clicking the 'preview' here on this post sees the progress bar in IE fill right up very, very quickly - then just kind of stop, as if waiting for the rest to catch up? :confused:

Would some kind soul please tell me if I could be doing something to improve my browsing? I badly need the quicker upspeed, so downgrading isn't really an option.

Many thanks for any pointers.

KN4995
04-08-2005, 14:57
Anyone any ideas? Or can please point me in the direction of somewhere that might?
Getting a bit of an ordeal is this! :dozey:

Cheers again.

Tragedy
04-08-2005, 15:57
Anyone any ideas? Or can please point me in the direction of somewhere that might?
Getting a bit of an ordeal is this! :dozey:

Cheers again.
:
http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/index.php?showforum=30

Loads of people have this problem:mad: i'm stuck with nthell as i'm not allowed Sky in the flats where i live.

jonbr
04-08-2005, 16:13
You might need to look at using a different proxy server. Try this link:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=32161

KN4995
04-08-2005, 21:06
Thanks for the advice lads. I've been trying for the past couple of hours with those proxy servers. By the way, should have mentioned mine at the mo I suppose.
manc-cache-2.server.ntli.net (62.252.192.5)
Same as it has been for yonks, so dunno why the problems now?
Anyway, I'm having no luck with any yet - each one I try just seems to freeze at full progress bar. I if press STOP on the IE toolbar, the full page loads, as if it was waiting to get the 'done' message from somewhere. 9 times out of 10 the images aren't there. I'm gutted. :td:
Does anyone know if I can downgrade again, back to 1024?
I'd rather leave the machine uploading for twice as long than not be able to bloomin' browse at all. Never been one to complain about NTL, it's always been sound enough for me, and CS/engineers never let me down - but I'm uber upset with this. Was so looking forward to being able to upload stuff in half the time. I have to send large video and audio files to a server occasionally. Nightmare at 128k.

Cheers again for the help.

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 21:10
Are you running any security software? AV / Firewall / Popup Blockers / Ad Blockers / Google Toolbar? Anything at all like that?

KN4995
04-08-2005, 21:15
XP Firewall, IE's pop up blocker and Google's toolbar.
But I have been for months and months!
I did have Kaspersky AV installed, but uninstalled that since, in a bid to nail the problem.
No different sadly.

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 21:23
It's possible that one of your security products has started blocking things for some reason.

Have a look through for anything that relates to pictures/images and disable the options one by one until things start to work.

Failing that I would suggest turning off the popup/ad blocking options one by one until they start to work.

Of course, if none of this works, you can always turn them all back on again :)

It might not seen like it's likely that they're the cause, it's worth eliminating them though :tu:

KN4995
04-08-2005, 21:24
Thanks mate.
I'll give all that a go. :tu:

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 21:29
NP.

Just do it one thing at a time and then test your connection.

When it starts to work you can start turning the other stuff back on (all bar the one that caused the problem) and hopefully it should all be ok.

KN4995
04-08-2005, 22:14
Raistlin,

Disabled everything, and *thought* I had found the problem in XP's firewall.
I wasn't convinced though, as it's never been a problem before - and I surf a lot for my job, I notice the slightest problems! I have now switched to the proxy my friend is using (and re-enabled the firewall) - he's on the same NTL connection as I am and having no problems.
I can now see a significant improvement in browsing. Some sites are literally 'there' the second I click the link in my favourites. However, some (this one for example) are still painfully slow. I wonder if I can assume from that, that it is indeed a proxy issue? Why would my 1024 connection be fine though, & my 2mb connection lousy?
Incidentally, I had noticed that OE was hung trying to access Gmail's POP server. Not sure if that could have been contributing also?
Not 100% happy as yet, but I feel much better about it!

:tu:

Raistlin
04-08-2005, 22:17
Not 100% happy as yet, but I feel much better about it!

Glad you're getting somewhere.

I wouldn't have thought that the "hang" in OE would have caused that sort of problem (but I'm happy to be corrected :) ). Sounds like it was proxy related, not sure why only one connection would be affected though :shrug:

Still, at least you're making progress and feeling a bit better :)

KN4995
04-08-2005, 23:07
Glad you're getting somewhere.

I wouldn't have thought that the "hang" in OE would have caused that sort of problem (but I'm happy to be corrected :) ). Sounds like it was proxy related, not sure why only one connection would be affected though :shrug:

Still, at least you're making progress and feeling a bit better :)

No, me neither - never had a problem with OE and POP3 casuing a connection prob.
Yeah, like I say mate - not 100% happy yet - some more meddling is afoot.
Thanks very much for the help though - nice to be helped along. :)

homealone
04-08-2005, 23:56
also, try going back to your default 'transparent' setting ;)

why not :)

KN4995
05-08-2005, 00:05
also, try going back to your default 'transparent' setting ;)

why not :)

Aye. Tried that mate.
With the same line of thinking as when you keep going back to the drawer and opening it, looking in and closing it again - you know for a FACT the thing you're looking for is not in there, but you keep going back looking anyway.. ;)

KN4995
14-08-2005, 13:45
Well, I've been struggling away all this time uninstalling this, installing that etc.
Finally ditched IE for FireFox and the problems have gone away.
After using Ccleaner, things were MUCH better, but still - IE could not fetch images without major hassle.
So, after ignoring everyone for so long, I'm now happy to be part of the Mozilla family. :)
Also very happy that I can say I'm happy with NTL again.