PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft--why us students love them

Jerrek
09-10-2003, 05:02
I know a lot of people dislike Microsoft, but if there is one thing that they are good with it is the way they treat their employees. Microsoft hires exclusively from my school in Canada (University of Waterloo) because of the high quality computer science students that graduate here. A co-op term is 4 months long, so when they hire someone they hire that person for four months.

Here is what they offer to students:

- US$90,000 per year salary. For a four month period, that translates to US$30,000, or about $7,500 a month.
- paid moving expenses to and from Redmond, Washington
- car for the time you're there
- subsidized accomodations
- paid overtime

Pretty good of the evil company, eh?

Xaccers
09-10-2003, 05:47
Can you put in a good word for me? :)

downquark1
09-10-2003, 08:30
Microsoft hires exclusively from my school in Canada I'm sure you like this but what about all the other student programmers who want jobs?

Jerrek
09-10-2003, 08:54
Microsoft hires the best and the brightest. Which is why they pay more. Other programmers can always go to other companies. There are lots of demand for programmers.

Xaccers
09-10-2003, 08:55
I think the point was that there could be superior programmers that go to other colleges, but because of MS's policy they don't get a look in.
Kinda explains things..... :D

Jerrek
09-10-2003, 08:59
Perhaps, but you want to hire from a university that has a high standard of education. Waterloo is the MIT of Canada. MIT is the best university in the world to study computer science, with Waterloo getting second place. Third place goes to Stanford and then you get into toss-ups between St. Petersburg, Hannover's Institute for Technology, Rutgers, and so on.

Microsoft hires exclusively from Waterloo precisely because in order to graduate you are put through an extraordinary program. While there may be good skills elsewhere, human skill is only half of it. The other half is education.

zoombini
09-10-2003, 10:27
Don't forget that they can get all the MS software that they want for free too.

Oh I forgot, you don't actually need to work for them to get that..:D

Stuart
09-10-2003, 11:26
Microsoft hires exclusively from Waterloo
They don't. I know someone who programs for Microsoft and she didn't go to any American University. They also frequently take people from Universities in England.

Scarlett
09-10-2003, 11:45
But how much education does it take to cut 'n' paste ? :D:D:D:D

Chris
09-10-2003, 12:10
Microsoft hires the best and the brightest. Which is why they pay more. Other programmers can always go to other companies. There are lots of demand for programmers.
This just doesn't square with the arrogant, shoddy, more-holes-than-a-swiss-cheese products they put out tho does it? How do the best and the brightest slide into plagiarism and mediocrity so easily?

philip.j.fry
09-10-2003, 13:15
This just doesn't square with the arrogant, shoddy, more-holes-than-a-swiss-cheese products they put out tho does it? How do the best and the brightest slide into plagiarism and mediocrity so easily?

Fast computers + Unreal Tournament = no work :)

Had a mate who works from them, the number of times I tried to contact him at work via MSN for him to reply he just needed to finish his game

Jerrek
09-10-2003, 16:52
They don't. I know someone who programs for Microsoft and she didn't go to any American University. They also frequently take people from Universities in England.
Yes they do. I'm talking co-op students here, not graduates.

Care to substantiate that a bit?

ic14
09-10-2003, 17:22
Here is what they offer to students:

- US$90,000 per year salary. For a four month period, that translates to US$30,000, or about $7,500 a month.
- paid moving expenses to and from Redmond, Washington
- car for the time you're there
- subsidized accomodations
- paid overtime

Pretty good of the evil company, eh?
Very good i say!
Of course i hate that company, yet like at the same time. Mainly cause im a student and i got M$ Office for £117

But i hate them for the way they made a monopoly out of copying other peoples ideas.....

Chris
10-10-2003, 09:47
Care to substantiate that a bit?
D'you really want me to compile a list of all the security holes, lawsuits alleging anti-trust, lawsuits alleging theft of intellectual property, etc etc etc? I'd be fired in no time at all if I spent that long posting on here ... Microsoft owes its dominant position to Bill Gates being in the right place at the right time, and subsequent marketing, not to the quality of its products. Sure, Windoze does the job but it puzzles me how a company that ought to be able to cherry pick the best of the best gets so routinely caught out for not doing a thorough job.

Xaccers
10-10-2003, 09:59
Very good i say!
Of course i hate that company, yet like at the same time. Mainly cause im a student and i got M$ Office for £117

But i hate them for the way they made a monopoly out of copying other peoples ideas.....

You're a student and you paid for office? :D

Towney, it is weird, I mean apple are able to keep their mistakes and problems a heck of a lot more quiet than M$, but people keep buying PC's.

Disclaimer:
Using pirated software is naughty and you shouldn't do it just because software companies charge such high prices that you can't really afford to pay anyway. So save up your money and buy legit, how else are they going to keep their corporate jets flying?

timewarrior2001
10-10-2003, 10:51
My local University is allegedly becoming world famous for its computer courses.
Teesside Uni is the place to go to study computing in the UK apparently.

Chris
10-10-2003, 12:36
Towney, it is weird, I mean apple are able to keep their mistakes and problems a heck of a lot more quiet than M$, but people keep buying PC's.
One thing M$ has always been very good at is aggressive marketing. The majority of people genuinely believe there is no alternative to Windoze.

Stuart
10-10-2003, 16:12
I'm not defending Microsoft (far from it, while some of their software is good, some is bug ridden crap), but it does seem that there is one rule for Microsoft and one for the rest of the industry. Apple, for instance, have got away with doing what Microsoft have been punished for for years. (e.g. building software such as media players and web browsers into the operating system, both of which Microsoft have had legal threats for).

Chris
10-10-2003, 16:41
I'm not defending Microsoft (far from it, while some of their software is good, some is bug ridden crap), but it does seem that there is one rule for Microsoft and one for the rest of the industry. Apple, for instance, have got away with doing what Microsoft have been punished for for years. (e.g. building software such as media players and web browsers into the operating system, both of which Microsoft have had legal threats for).
It's true that Apple gets away with more, but it's not because different rules are applied - it's because laws designed to curb anti-competitive practices affect M$ in a different way, because M$ is so much bigger.

If Apple bundles a certain media player with a new computer, it is affecting a far smaller proportion of the market than if M$ does. In fact, Apple does not, AFAIK, try to tie people in to certain products in anything like the way M$ has done, for example when they tried to claim IE was an integral part of Windows. Macs come with a Safari browser but no-one is trying to say it is part of MacOS. Similarly the iLife suite (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto) are not even pre-installed. Sure, they're free of charge, but whether you ever install them is up to you.

And Apple's media player, QuickTime, has set an industry standard with Mpeg-4, unlike Microsoft's vastly inferior Windoze Media Player codec which, as usual, attempts to corner the market. And WMP, unlike Quicktime on a Mac, is integrated at the level of the OS.

ic14
10-10-2003, 17:17
You're a student and you paid for office? :D
:LOL:

If Apple bundles a certain media player with a new computer, it is affecting a far smaller proportion of the market than if M$ does. In fact, Apple does not, AFAIK, try to tie people in to certain products in anything like the way M$ has done, for example when they tried to claim IE was an integral part of Windows. Macs come with a Safari browser but no-one is trying to say it is part of MacOS. Similarly the iLife suite (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto) are not even pre-installed. Sure, they're free of charge, but whether you ever install them is up to you. Well, i think iDVD is preinstalled, not too sure though...
But your right about the other points, none of Apples programs like iTunes or Safari are an integral part of the OS, because theres no need for them to be.

Stuart
10-10-2003, 17:38
And Apple's media player, QuickTime, has set an industry standard with Mpeg-4, unlike Microsoft's vastly inferior Windoze Media Player codec which, as usual, attempts to corner the market. And WMP, unlike Quicktime on a Mac, is integrated at the level of the OS.
I have to admit, a couple of years back, I did some testing. Using Premiere and Media Cleaner (both for Windows), I captured and encoded some video for streaming. I encoded each at two different frame sizes (one for High bandwidth and one for low) being careful to use the same settings with each file. I did it this way to try and treat each format equally.

I encoded to Windows Media, Real and Qucktime streaming formats. I found WM best at high bandwidths, Real best at low bandwidths. I wasn't impressed by Quicktime streaming at all. I should qualify that by stating that the version of Media Cleaner I was using is rather old and does not support MPEG 4, so things should have improved now.

However, Quicktime (using Sorenson 3 as a codec) beats both WMP and Real hands down on quality for playback from disk.

Jerrek
10-10-2003, 19:35
There is no real alternative to Windows if you are the one believing it. If you believe that, you probably don't know about linux and if you don't even know about it, forget it. My grandmother wants her email. She can't be bothered by checking /dev/bin/blah/usr/var/etc/.csettings blah.

Windows has bugs, but so does other software.

While I don't condone everything Microsoft does, I think they deliver a good set of products. Windows XP + Office XP [or 2003] is all you need on your laptop to be quite productive.

Plus, Microsoft employees tend to be very happy folks. But, they are human and make mistakes.

ic14
10-10-2003, 21:55
Windows XP + Office XP
Mac OSX and Office v.X ;)

Xaccers
10-10-2003, 22:06
What computers not manufactured by Apple can run MacOSX?

ic14
10-10-2003, 22:22
What computers not manufactured by Apple can run MacOSX?None,
But what i meant was, he said all you need is Win XP and Office XP to be productive, and i was saying it works the oyther way. :rolleyes:

Stuart
10-10-2003, 22:27
And WMP, unlike Quicktime on a Mac, is integrated at the level of the OS. Bearing in mind that Quicktime is more than just the player, can you uninstall Quicktime from a Mac and then install your own (non-quicktime based) player?

This would lead me to wonder if Quicktime is integrated into the system..

Anyway, I use both Macs and PCs at work, and a PC at home (geek? me? no....) , and I like to use both. They each have strengths and weaknesses. The PCs have Win XP Pro (and occasionally, Win2KPro) and the Macs have a combination of Mac OS 9.2 and Mac OS X 10.2

Xaccers
10-10-2003, 23:01
None,
But what i meant was, he said all you need is Win XP and Office XP to be productive, and i was saying it works the oyther way. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I wasn't replying to you with my question :D

Why don't apple let other's make computers that can run their OS?
Perhaps that's one of the reasons they're market share isn't so big

ic14
10-10-2003, 23:10
Sorry, I wasn't replying to you with my question :D

Why don't apple let other's make computers that can run their OS?
Perhaps that's one of the reasons they're market share isn't so big

They did let other computer manufecters make macs back in the mid 90s, but they stopped it around 98

Xaccers
10-10-2003, 23:16
They did let other computer manufecters make macs back in the mid 90s, but they stopped it around 98

Any idea why?

ic14
10-10-2003, 23:19
Any idea why?
Because Steve Jobs joined and he didnt like other companies on there turf?

TBH I dont know why they did.

downquark1
11-10-2003, 12:17
Bearing in mind that Quicktime is more than just the player, can you uninstall Quicktime from a Mac and then install your own (non-quicktime based) player?

This would lead me to wonder if Quicktime is integrated into the system.. In OS 9 you cold uninstall QT but not in OS X. It's hard to make a modern operating system without intergrating some kind of media player. You can however use other media players perfectly, Real and even Microsoft's (with for the record is the worst one on the mac platform).

Apple's web broswers are not intergrated though.

ian@huth
11-10-2003, 12:35
D'you really want me to compile a list of all the security holes, lawsuits alleging anti-trust, lawsuits alleging theft of intellectual property, etc etc etc? I'd be fired in no time at all if I spent that long posting on here ... Microsoft owes its dominant position to Bill Gates being in the right place at the right time, and subsequent marketing, not to the quality of its products. Sure, Windoze does the job but it puzzles me how a company that ought to be able to cherry pick the best of the best gets so routinely caught out for not doing a thorough job.

You must then have heard about the golf game that meant that Bill Gates got the chance to push his version of a cp/m core operating system instead of Digital Research getting it, lol.

Jerrek
12-10-2003, 02:18
Mac OSX and Office v.X
Be serious. No one will be able to read the stuff you write. In order to send off documents, you'd want a format people can write and edit in.

ZrByte
12-10-2003, 03:10
Mac OSX and Office v.X
Be serious. No one will be able to read the stuff you write. In order to send off documents, you'd want a format people can write and edit in.

Doesnt that just prove how badly MS have cornered the market??

Richard M
12-10-2003, 03:18
In OS 9 you cold uninstall QT but not in OS X. It's hard to make a modern operating system without intergrating some kind of media player. You can however use other media players perfectly, Real and even Microsoft's (with for the record is the worst one on the mac platform).

What's the point though?
I mean, if I were a Windows OS company - the last thing I'd do is make software for an alternative system.
Where are the Linux and Amiga apps???
Well Mr Gate$? *taps foot impatiently*

MadGamer
12-10-2003, 10:33
Well well that famous word creeps up again, and do you know what it is? it's Microsoft. :angel:

ic14
12-10-2003, 13:16
Mac OSX and Office v.X
Be serious. No one will be able to read the stuff you write. In order to send off documents, you'd want a format people can write and edit in.Excuse me??!?!

Office v.X saves in the standard Word, Excel and Powerpoint formats.
I have tested it alot of times in college, and the only thing that dont work is the transperinces (sp?).

:rofl: I love it when the Apple Haters post silly stuff like that

Stuart
12-10-2003, 13:33
What's the point though?
I mean, if I were a Windows OS company - the last thing I'd do is make software for an alternative system.
Where are the Linux and Amiga apps???
Well Mr Gate$? *taps foot impatiently*
Microsoft make software for the Mac.

I also remember reading years ago in an interview that Bill G, when asked whether he would consider developing software for other systems replied that if he thought there was a profit in developing for a particular system, Microsoft would..

Jerrek
12-10-2003, 18:14
So you still use Microsoft software ic14. What is the point of using an expensive mac then?

ic14
12-10-2003, 18:15
You didnt even bother reading what i said :rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe its because A: Macs arent that much maore expensive,
and B: can you tell me a software package fully compatable with Office that aint made by M$?

Chris
12-10-2003, 19:58
expensive mac

This is a myth. Like for like they are not far apart in cost. And what you get, in terms of ease of use, freedom from an arrogant monopolistic supplier and virtual immunity from viruses, makes the few extra quid more than worth it. Plus they just look better ...

Chris
12-10-2003, 20:03
In OS 9 you cold uninstall QT but not in OS X. It's hard to make a modern operating system without intergrating some kind of media player. You can however use other media players perfectly, Real and even Microsoft's (with for the record is the worst one on the mac platform).

Apple's web broswers are not intergrated though.

In OSX uninstalling is simply a matter of dragging a program's icon to the trash (neat, huh? can Win XP reliably uninstall stuff that quickly? I think not).

I haven't dared try this on Quicktime, but I can see nothing in the application's 'Get Info' pane that suggests it can't be deleted. Have you tried it and found it won't work?

Chris
12-10-2003, 20:09
I have to admit, a couple of years back, I did some testing. Using Premiere and Media Cleaner (both for Windows), I captured and encoded some video for streaming. I encoded each at two different frame sizes (one for High bandwidth and one for low) being careful to use the same settings with each file. I did it this way to try and treat each format equally.

I encoded to Windows Media, Real and Qucktime streaming formats. I found WM best at high bandwidths, Real best at low bandwidths. I wasn't impressed by Quicktime streaming at all. I should qualify that by stating that the version of Media Cleaner I was using is rather old and does not support MPEG 4, so things should have improved now.

However, Quicktime (using Sorenson 3 as a codec) beats both WMP and Real hands down on quality for playback from disk.

The company I use for media streaming at work won't touch anything but Quicktime for high-bandwidth projects. They also like RealOne (better value, once you have to start considering servers, licences etc) and they won't touch Windoze Media with a bargepole, for several reasons ... among them are, it just doesn't look as good (in their opinion), its admin controls are tied into those for Admins of Win2K, which is a pain if you are trying to deliver a project for a group of people within an organisation without dragging in their IT department, and unless you're using the latest version, it just isn't as customisable if you want to embed a stream into something else.

Xaccers
12-10-2003, 22:36
In OSX uninstalling is simply a matter of dragging a program's icon to the trash (neat, huh? can Win XP reliably uninstall stuff that quickly? I think not).

Windows has been able to do that since Win2K :D

ic14
12-10-2003, 22:40
Windows has been able to do that since Win2K :DWhat? Uninstall by dragging the program to the "recycle bin", i dont think so :rolleyes:

downquark1
12-10-2003, 22:52
Windows has been able to do that since Win2K :D
Even if that was true macs have been doing that since system one, so no contest.

If I wanted to move a program from one drive to the other:

On a PC I have two choices:

1) move the files and go through the registry edited each entry needed.
2) Unistall and reinstall.

On a mac I just drag the folder.

Xaccers
13-10-2003, 00:44
What? Uninstall by dragging the program to the "recycle bin", i dont think so :rolleyes:

Works for me, comes up and asks if you want to delete the .exe or uninstall the program

Jerrek
13-10-2003, 06:04
This is a myth. Like for like they are not far apart in cost. And what you get, in terms of ease of use, freedom from an arrogant monopolistic supplier
Really? What other operating systems can you run on your Mac?

And Macs are expensive as hell. I can buy a fully loaded computer for 200 pounds. Throw in Office and you've got a good system.

You won't buy a Mac for 200 pounds.

Macs are too damn expensive for what they give, and nothing important (to me) runs on Mac.

And about that pretty comment, well, that depends if you like that gay colors. I don't. I have a Thermaltake case and I like that a lot more than Apple's cases.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~johannj/net_stuff/MacTrash.jpg

Scarlett
13-10-2003, 08:42
Okay then I've seen plenty of defence from Jerrek about how Micro$oft arn't that bad and I'd just like to correct a little misconception about that 200 pound fully loaded windows system that he's going on about.

Are you factoring in the time that it takes to to get the D*mn software installed ? If any one's seen my blog (http://blogs.nthellworld.co.uk/scarlett) , my home computer is still out of action after 10 days of trying to install a micro$oft o/s reliably, 98 will not re-install over the top of 98 for some reason (it was a week ago, I can't remember the error) when I let 98 near my new HD it corrupted that. With 2000 it managed (on the 10th try) to actually install onto the HD only to fall over the next day due to 'file corruption' the micro$oft knowledge base article said that the only option was a repair install but 'suprise suprise', that won't work either due to a different file being corrupted. So I have a new HD that I now cannot access and (I think because I can't see it at the mo) a messed up second drive.

I am going to linix as soon as I can get micro$oft installed long enough to dowload the Iso's and the drivers. Its soo bad that I'm even going to try and put XP on to allow me to get at the HD.

Xaccers
13-10-2003, 08:44
Sounds like an intemittent hardware problem to me.

Scarlett
13-10-2003, 11:55
The problem is that if its an intermitant hardware problem, why have both my HD's suffered ? the computer is surge protected (always had been) and this all started when I tried to install the drivers for my wireless network. This started to fall over for a variaty of reasons, even leading to win98 stating that it could not find a file and then presenting me with no file name ?!?!?

timewarrior2001
13-10-2003, 12:02
Okay then I've seen plenty of defence from Jerrek about how Micro$oft arn't that bad and I'd just like to correct a little misconception about that 200 pound fully loaded windows system that he's going on about.

Are you factoring in the time that it takes to to get the D*mn software installed ? If any one's seen my blog (http://blogs.nthellworld.co.uk/scarlett) , my home computer is still out of action after 10 days of trying to install a micro$oft o/s reliably, 98 will not re-install over the top of 98 for some reason (it was a week ago, I can't remember the error) when I let 98 near my new HD it corrupted that. With 2000 it managed (on the 10th try) to actually install onto the HD only to fall over the next day due to 'file corruption' the micro$oft knowledge base article said that the only option was a repair install but 'suprise suprise', that won't work either due to a different file being corrupted. So I have a new HD that I now cannot access and (I think because I can't see it at the mo) a messed up second drive.

I am going to linix as soon as I can get micro$oft installed long enough to dowload the Iso's and the drivers. Its soo bad that I'm even going to try and put XP on to allow me to get at the HD.

Why dont you use a dos boot disk to fdisk the new drive, install XP on it, and copy all your files over form the old drive.
Wouldnt know if it works as easy in Linux, I can NEVER get that thing to install.

timewarrior2001
13-10-2003, 12:04
Even if that was true macs have been doing that since system one, so no contest.

If I wanted to move a program from one drive to the other:

On a PC I have two choices:

1) move the files and go through the registry edited each entry needed.
2) Unistall and reinstall.

On a mac I just drag the folder.

I find that just dragging the folder and re-pointing the shortcut to the exe works fine.

downquark1
13-10-2003, 12:20
I find that just dragging the folder and re-pointing the shortcut to the exe works fine.
That depends entirely on what application. Could you move windows media player and still expect it to work, or even internet explorer. On a mac you can:D

Xaccers
13-10-2003, 12:30
The problem is that if its an intermitant hardware problem, why have both my HD's suffered ? the computer is surge protected (always had been) and this all started when I tried to install the drivers for my wireless network. This started to fall over for a variaty of reasons, even leading to win98 stating that it could not find a file and then presenting me with no file name ?!?!?

Could be your IDE controller on the mother board is flakey.
Just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will always work.

I've recently had to get my brand new computer's mother board changed for a similar reason.
Got it bland, installed XP, everything seemed fine.
A day later suddenly it reported that some registry files had been automatically restored as they were corrupt.
Then it started reporting that windows couldn't load.
Re-installed, similar problems, tried a different hard drive, again same problems.
Then the motherboard totally died, no beeps, nothing on the screen.
Replacement motherboard and it's working fine.
People are too quick to blame the software.
You buy a cheap sound card or network card with badly written drivers and it can cause your machine to do some very strange things!
That's why MS introduced driver signing, they were fed up with crap drivers causing blue screens and getting the blame for it rather than the cheap hardware manufacturers.

It's why companies such as Compaq (HP) won't touch their servers if non-compaq parts are installed, and why most support places will ask if you have the latest drivers for everything, even if you're reporting that Excel crashes when you cut and paste.

That depends entirely on what application. Could you move windows media player and still expect it to work, or even internet explorer. On a mac you can:D

Why would you want to? :D
If you need more disk space, you just extend your current volume onto a second dynamic disk :p

Stuart
13-10-2003, 12:38
Scarlett, this may sound rather wierd, but have you tried new memory? I have used Windows in various guises and found that all versions of Windows can report file/disk corruption if there is faulty memory. As I said, that may sound wierd,but when you consider the fact that Windows makes extensive use of disk cacheing, it does make sense.

This can also cause the machine to fall over for no readily apparent reason.

Scarlett
13-10-2003, 12:41
Could be your IDE controller on the mother board is flakey.
Just because it worked before, doesn't mean it will always work.

I've recently had to get my brand new computer's mother board changed for a similar reason.
Got it bland, installed XP, everything seemed fine.
A day later suddenly it reported that some registry files had been automatically restored as they were corrupt.
Then it started reporting that windows couldn't load.
Re-installed, similar problems, tried a different hard drive, again same problems.
Then the motherboard totally died, no beeps, nothing on the screen.
Replacement motherboard and it's working fine.
People are too quick to blame the software.
You buy a cheap sound card or network card with badly written drivers and it can cause your machine to do some very strange things!
That's why MS introduced driver signing, they were fed up with crap drivers causing blue screens and getting the blame for it rather than the cheap hardware manufacturers.

It's why companies such as Compaq (HP) won't touch their servers if non-compaq parts are installed, and why most support places will ask if you have the latest drivers for everything, even if you're reporting that Excel crashes when you cut and paste.

I think my biggest problem is that at the moment, Micro$oft appears to have no way for me to actually sort this out, I cannot get win2K working because the setup CD will not go past this fault. hence I am stuck trying to get win98 boot disk which cannot 'see' my new drive (NTFS!!! Doh) It might be an IDE issue but I'm stuck with having to use lindows to wipe the HD so that I can try to get 2K on again. I'm even looking to put 98 back on, if only to allow me to get onl;ine and get to the drivers!!!!

Stuart
13-10-2003, 12:43
You can move the exe's. You cannot move the system files they use. AFAIK this is the same situation on the Mac. You can move the Application executable, but you cannot move the system extensions it uses (assuming it uses any).

Stuart
13-10-2003, 12:46
I think my biggest problem is that at the moment, Micro$oft appears to have no way for me to actually sort this out, I cannot get win2K working because the setup CD will not go past this fault. hence I am stuck trying to get win98 boot disk which cannot 'see' my new drive (NTFS!!! Doh) It might be an IDE issue but I'm stuck with having to use lindows to wipe the HD so that I can try to get 2K on again. I'm even looking to put 98 back on, if only to allow me to get onl;ine and get to the drivers!!!!
If you need to read that disc in 98, go to here (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml). However, unless you pay for it, that util can't write to the disc.

Xaccers
13-10-2003, 12:50

In win98's FDISK, you want to delete non-dos partitions :D
It'll prolly report it as HPFS.

Are you using ATA66 or ATA100/133?
Win2k came out before ATA100 so you'll need the driver disk that came with the motherboard and hit F6 when setup tells you to.

XP has the same situation with ATA133

Chris
13-10-2003, 13:01

Win2k came out before ATA100 so you'll need the driver disk that came with the motherboard and hit F6 when setup tells you to.

:eeek:

And is anyone still in any doubt why I'll always prefer Mac to Windoze?!

Stuart
13-10-2003, 13:12
Just been sent this, which I think is moderately amusing and fits this thread...

BTW, I know about the bad grammer in it...

Xaccers
13-10-2003, 13:25
:eeek:

And is anyone still in any doubt why I'll always prefer Mac to Windoze?!

Yes :D

Could OS9 support ATA133 without extra drivers?

Scarlett
13-10-2003, 14:19

Okay, That's as far as I can go at the moment, the short answer is I have no idea at the mo, I'll have to try and check tonight (But I am supposed to be out so it might not be until tomorrow night :-( )

Thnaks for the help.

Scarlett

Chris
13-10-2003, 14:33
Yes :D

Could OS9 support ATA133 without extra drivers?I have no idea, but I guarantee that if you had to install extra drivers in os9, there would have been no mucking about with command lines and messy setup utilities. It's amazing how quickly Windoze abandons the principle of a Graphical User Interface when the going gets tough.

ic14
13-10-2003, 17:37
This is a myth. Like for like they are not far apart in cost. And what you get, in terms of ease of use, freedom from an arrogant monopolistic supplier
Really? What other operating systems can you run on your Mac?

And Macs are expensive as hell. I can buy a fully loaded computer for 200 pounds. Throw in Office and you've got a good system.

You won't buy a Mac for 200 pounds.

Macs are too damn expensive for what they give, and nothing important (to me) runs on Mac.

And about that pretty comment, well, that depends if you like that gay colors. I don't. I have a Thermaltake case and I like that a lot more than Apple's cases.

snore!

Seems like the last stand of a windows fanatic!
Well yes Macs are expensive, but not much more than a PC system from PC World or whatever.

So what programs you want to run then? Bet you most are on mac ;)

GAY COLOURS!?!! Now thats just being stupid!