PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent connection

marvel
02-08-2005, 16:24
Hi there,

Since friday I have been having intermittent connection with my 3mb sacm connection. I would get about 10 mins worth of connection before the modems lights would all flash as if it was reseting itself.

I am onto customer support as we speak, going thru the usual process i was asked to take out the feed cable to the modem. On this was a Forward path attenuator (10dB). I took this off and the connection has stayed for the longest time in a while.

Should this attenuator be on the back of the modem?? I work for BT with adsl and know that the equivilent versions that we have would knock a line of in some instances.

Also, I did have weird readings from my modem before, but ever since i have taken off this attenuator the readings look good compared to what i used to have. I have a previous thread somewheree about this.

My reading so far are:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.05 dBmv Downstream SNR : 34.38 dB Upstream Transmit Power Level : 53.25 dBmv
Is the attenuator the cause of my fault??

MovedGoalPosts
02-08-2005, 16:38
Those readings do appear to be more or less in the range of acceptable, thus the attenuator's removal suggests the attenuator is not currently needed.

marvel
02-08-2005, 22:24
well put.

And i agree :)

why woud i have this on my line in the first place tho?

MovedGoalPosts
02-08-2005, 22:31
Signal levels do change. It was probably needed when first installed to keep things within tolerances. If other customers are now online near you, an amplifier has changed (even due to temperatures in cabinets), all sorts really the signal strength may have altered).

I've often found that every few months an engineer has to come and tweak my STB's connection as the signal alters too much, each time they put a different attenuator on.