PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Router & PS2 online

pw88
31-07-2005, 20:03
Hi, this may have been answered in other threads, but i didnt quite understand one or two things.

I have the main computer, with a wireless router and Ntl modem(b.band), and a reciever upstairs to my computer. I want to take my Ps2 online, ive ordered the Network adapter but the ps2 is in the room next to mine, or i could move it into my room.

1) Is it possible to get a ethernet cable from MY computer at the back to the network adapter, keeping in mind ive only got a reciever, will it pick a connection or not?

2) If #1 doesnt work, will i need a Ethernet bridge hooked up to my main router downstairs?

MovedGoalPosts
31-07-2005, 22:16
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

If you have a wireless router, the simplest arrangement will be to use a wireless gaming adaptor to plug into your PS2's network adaptor.

You don't say what router you have. On that basis from the Linksys range, just to give you an idea or what you want:
http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=311
or
http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=358

Tezcatlipoca
31-07-2005, 23:29
:welcome:

1) You could do that, if Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) was enabled on the computer. But it's best not to, as you're already running one instance of NAT (Network Address Translation) via the router - ICS would add another. Extra complications. Not sure how well it would work at all.

2) As Rob said - get a wireless ethernet bridge to connect to the PS2's network adaptor.

pw88
01-08-2005, 00:03
Thanks for that :) , I have Ntl's own router they make available for their modem. Im not sure if this changes anything? Im not sure how the wireless game adapter works? Do i need just the one pluged into the ps2, which picks up a Signal from the router or do i need two for the main comptuer and one for Ps2?

Tezcatlipoca
01-08-2005, 00:09
The Wireless Game Adaptor is basically a wireless ethernet bridge, but specifically for consoles. I think they require a bit less setting up than a standard wireless ethernet bridge.

You'd only need one, which would connect to the PS2's network adaptor, making it wireless, so it can receive the signal from the wireless router.

pw88
01-08-2005, 00:20
The Wireless Game Adaptor is basically a wireless ethernet bridge, but specifically for consoles. I think they require a bit less setting up than a standard wireless ethernet bridge.

You'd only need one, which would connect to the PS2's network adaptor, making it wireless, so it can receive the signal from the wireless router.

Thats great thanks, so it plugs into the ps2 network adapter and it will automatically pick up a signal from the router?

Tezcatlipoca
01-08-2005, 00:43
Should do. AFAIK they're simple to set up.