PDA

View Full Version : Downstream Data Issue i think :S

neo123
31-07-2005, 00:33
I dont know what to do. I know this is NTL's side because my settings are correct i think. And i havnt changed anything recently either.

I can be using my connection, and suddenly it will just drop, and the RDY light will flash. Before that the SYNC and RDY lights went out and D/S flashed, but this hasnt happened again.

I phoned NTL, and they said that there were no faults in the area "RESET MY MODEM". Which i have done numerous times.

I have checked all my connection settings like my MTU and all, and they are correct. My signal levels SEEM normal, although my Upstream is at +52DbBv, i thought this was a little high.

What shall i do fellow geeks!!! ????

SLM
31-07-2005, 11:08
Ring ntl up and explain you have called in the past and carried out all instruction's (re-booting etc) and the modem is still faulty, ask (do not demand) for a tech visit, if you add that you accept the call out charge (£25) if it turns out to be your equipment at fault. That should help your cause in getting it sorted.

The trouble ntl have is that people will say they have done everything then the tech turns up and finds out there is nothing wrong with the connection but the customer has not plugged in the lan/usb cable (1 example)

neo123
04-08-2005, 09:21
Ok. I phoned them up 3 times. and i explained. I have just had an engineer out, and he has fitted a "forward path equalizer 4dB" And turned my signal levels up at the box. So fingers crossed it doesnt drop on me again. Im not sure exactly what the problem was still though??-

Oh and i forgot to mention before to you, that when the dropped connection actually happend (always at night). My upstream level went to a staggering 61db!!!!

Now my figures are really nice, and WELL within the guidlines i read on robin walkers site. And my upstream is in the low 40's now aswell.