PDA

View Full Version : Drinks adverts told 'no sexy men'

Maggy
28-07-2005, 14:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/4722147.stm

I suppose it had to happen..Though my reaction is one of disappointment...Yep I can be sexist too. ;)

punky
28-07-2005, 14:14
Ahhh more PC b****cks then. :rolleyes:

Nugget
28-07-2005, 14:16
Well, that's my television career up in smoke then :p:

punky
28-07-2005, 14:18
I wonder now if lots of sexy female fluffers/eye candy are going to have to get real jobs now? :) I presume it will work both ways. I can't believe you can be too attractive for TV now..

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-07-2005, 14:25
Well, that's my television career up in smoke then :p:

Hammer house of horrors stopped years ago didnt it?

Nugget
28-07-2005, 14:28
Hammer house of horrors stopped years ago didnt it?

Yeah, just before Gary_580 morphed into the evil that is Wicked_and_Crazy :p:

Mal
28-07-2005, 14:29
Well, that's my television career up in smoke then :p:At least some good came from it then ;) :D

Maggy
28-07-2005, 14:34
You know I think that they overlooked summat..

"In its current form we consider that the ad is in danger of implying that the drink may bring sexual/social success, because the man in question looks quite attractive and desirable to the girls.

"If the man was clearly unattractive, we think that this implication would be removed from the ad."

Surely the message is now that drinking this drink will enable you to get so blotto you could end up taking this home.

A very good anti drinking propoganda if I ever saw one.

So what's left that we need protecting from? :)

punky
28-07-2005, 14:37
"In its current form we consider that the ad is in danger of implying that the drink may bring sexual/social success, because the man in question looks quite attractive and desirable to the girls.

Eh? If the guy is attractive, he is going to pull wether alcohol is available or not. Like coggy says, if the guy is ugly and manages to pull then probably you have the beer goggles effect happening.

andyl
28-07-2005, 14:42
Still on the plus side, that big new TV and film studio they're building in Wales is sure to be ideally located to serve the drinks advertising industry, with all the local, er 'character' actors that will now be required (gulp, is Russ watching ;) :D )

Nugget
28-07-2005, 14:46
Still on the plus side, that big new TV and film studio they're building in Wales is sure to be ideally located to serve the drinks advertising industry, with all the local, er 'character' actors that will now be required (gulp, is Russ watching ;) :D )

There has been some trouble with that though - apparently, there's a lot of leeks :disturbd:

Ramrod
28-07-2005, 14:53
Well, that's my television career up in smoke then :p:I would have thought it would be taking off now :D

Nugget
28-07-2005, 14:55
I would have thought it would be taking off now :D

Ah, you noticed the bit about balding and paunchy then, did you :p:

Ramrod
28-07-2005, 15:04
I find this ruling mind boggling.......why would anyone want to watch an ad with ugly men in it? :disturbd:

Maggy
28-07-2005, 15:07
I find this ruling mind boggling.......why would anyone want to watch an ad with ugly men in it? :disturbd:

It was the first thought I had....but then who would watch an ad with atractive young ladies in it...

Now if they had a fat ugly woman drinking the drink and pulling a fit handsome young man then maybe I'd buy that product. ;)

Nugget
28-07-2005, 15:09
It was the first thought I had....but then who would watch an ad with atractive young ladies in it...

Now if they had a fat ugly woman drinking the drink and pulling a fit handsome young man then maybe I'd buy that product. ;)

I've got to be honest - as soon as I saw it was advertising Lambrini, I wouldn't give a monkeys who they had in there :p:

andyl
28-07-2005, 15:10
Well I'd only want to watch a Goyaesque beauty meself....... (is there a suck up smiley?! :) )

Nugget
28-07-2005, 15:12
Well I'd only want to watch a Goyaesque beauty meself....... (is there a suck up smiley?! :) )

I think it's just next to this one -> :sick:

;)

andyl
28-07-2005, 15:15
I've got to be honest - as soon as I saw it was advertising Lambrini, I wouldn't give a monkeys who they had in there :p:

For the advertising to reflect the reality surely it should feature a brood of 14 year old girls wretching down the local park?

Maggy
28-07-2005, 15:15
Frankly I'd hate to be making a living in television ads these days...There are so many ways to offend overtly and even when not trying to offend.. :erm:

The road to hell....ecetera,ecetera,ecetera.

andyl
28-07-2005, 15:16
I think it's just next to this one -> :sick:

;)

Well, you were the Goyaesque beauty to whom I was referring so I think you've found the right one there :)

Nugget
28-07-2005, 15:22
Well, you were the Goyaesque beauty to whom I was referring so I think you've found the right one there :)

Hmmm, never been referred to as 'Goyaesque' before. Normally there's a reference to Picasso or Dali, but never Goya ;)

Having said that, after drinking Lambrini, I'd probably look like my face was upside-down whilst trying to suck my cheeks back up my throat, so it's all good :)

Maggy
28-07-2005, 15:28

Nice catch... :D

Hmmm, never been referred to as 'Goyaesque' before. Normally there's a reference to Picasso or Dali, but never Goya ;)

Having said that, after drinking Lambrini, I'd probably look like my face was upside-down whilst trying to suck my cheeks back up my throat, so it's all good :)

:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

:rofl:

andyl
28-07-2005, 15:32
Well I hadn't really finished the description. Goyaesque in torso, Dali in face, Picasso in mind.

Having said that, after drinking Lambrini, I'd probably look like my face was upside-down whilst trying to suck my cheeks back up my throat, so it's all good :) The Russ look? :D

Nugget
28-07-2005, 15:35
Well I hadn't really finished the description. Goyaesque in torso, Dali in face, Picasso in mind.

Believe me, that's probably the best combination I could hope for :disturbd:

The Russ look? :D

Not even I'm stupid enough to comment on that one :D

But I was thinking the same thing ;)

andyl
28-07-2005, 15:40
In order to satisfy the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act I have edited your last post to assist the visually impaired (as opposed to the follicaly impaired)But I was thinking the same thing ;)

Nugget
28-07-2005, 15:41
In order to satisfy the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act I have edited your last post to assist the visually impaired (as opposed to the follicaly impaired)

Hey, I'll be alright - Russ knows I'm both visually and follically impaired :D

Couple that with the fact that I'm an idiot, and I'm sure I'll get away with it.

andyl
28-07-2005, 15:45
Hey, I'll be alright - Russ knows I'm both visually and follically impaired :D

Couple that with the fact that I'm an idiot, and I'm sure I'll get away with it.

Fair point. Gulp, with my good looks, luxuriously full head of hair, piercing insight and superior intellect, I could be in trouble though. :Yikes:

Nugget
28-07-2005, 15:48
Fair point. Gulp, with my good looks, luxuriously full head of hair, piercing insight and superior intellect, I could be in trouble though. :Yikes:

Only from the Woefully Misinformed About Your Appearance Police :p:

Anyway, didn't I hear that you were actually forbidden by law to leave the house without a bag on your head?

Hey, that's it! Your full name! It's obviously Andy Lookslikejohnmerrick :D

Maggy
28-07-2005, 15:54
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ahh you both get this.

Download Failed (1)

Halcyon
29-07-2005, 17:21
Im glad they are scrapping it. Same goes with women too. I find it stupid using sex to sell products. It is another way to try and tempt us and I will not fall for it. If I want to see a nice girl, I'l see my girlfriend.

Nugget
29-07-2005, 17:24
Im glad they are scrapping it. Same goes with women too. I find it stupid using sex to sell products. It is another way to try and tempt us and I will not fall for it. If I want to see a nice girl, I'l see my girlfriend.

But what do the rest of us do? I'm sure you don't want to share your girlfriend, so we're stuck :p:

andyl
29-07-2005, 17:27
But what do the rest of us do? I'm sure you don't want to share your girlfriend, so we're stuck :p: Are you saying Mrs Nug doesn't look nice? :shocked:

Nugget
29-07-2005, 17:28
Are you saying Mrs Nug doesn't look nice? :shocked:

You're not getting me with that one - Mrs Nug is much more than just nice. She's the most beautiful girl I know, so there :p:

andyl
29-07-2005, 17:34
You're not getting me with that one - Mrs Nug is much more than just nice. She's the most beautiful girl I know, so there :p: I'm glad to hear it! :) But does she know you want someone else to share their girlfriend with you? You're a moral vacuum Mr. Nug :D

Maggy
29-07-2005, 17:38
I'm glad to hear it! :) But does she know you want someone else to share their girlfriend with you? You're a moral vacuum Mr. Nug :D

Ok Kenwood...leave Nugfart alone...As least he's honest about his appearance. :tu:

Nemesis
29-07-2005, 17:40
I'm glad to hear it! :) But does she know you want someone else to share their girlfriend with you? You're a moral vacuum Mr. Nug :D

Ok Kenwood...leave Nugfart alone...As least he's honest about his appearance. :tu:

If not about many many many many other things, eh Nugfart :) :waving:

Nugget
29-07-2005, 17:43

I think you'll find that I wanted Halcyon to share his girlfriend with all of us :D

Har har! See andy, Coggy's right. Halcyons girlfriend wouldn't look twice at me, 'cos I'm a right minger...

Oh, hang on...

:disturbd:

If not about many many many many other things, eh Nugfart :) :waving:

Well, I s'pose that I have told people before that I like you, Ilikemenesis :p:

Halcyon
29-07-2005, 17:45
But what do the rest of us do? I'm sure you don't want to share your girlfriend, so we're stuck :p:

Well actually I was being hypothetical if thats the right word, as Im currently single at the moment, but thats a long long story, and hopefully won't be for too long, but thats for another topic, another day.

I just cant stand adverts. Its tempting you to buy and I certainly will not buy these products promoted in this way. You may have heard my views on the herbal essence shampoo adverts and those are IMO plain silly.

Jules
29-07-2005, 17:45
I think Nug is good looking...am I looking at the wrong picture?

Nemesis
29-07-2005, 17:46
You may have heard my views on the herbal essence shampoo adverts and those are IMO plain silly.

... and they don't work ... Just ask the follicly challenged Nugfart. :D

Maggy
29-07-2005, 17:48

Now,now Nemmy that's enough! :nono:

Get back to a hazlenut in every bite please... :tu:

Nugget
29-07-2005, 17:48
I think Nug is good looking...am I looking at the wrong picture?

:blush:

You're probably looking at the wrong picture :)

Herbal Essence has nothing to do with my follicle challenge - it's having to deal with you on a daily basis that has me tearing my hair out :p:

Nemesis
29-07-2005, 17:49
Get back to a hazlenut in every bite please... :tu:

... and just what has squirrel **** got to do with it ?? :D

Nugget
29-07-2005, 17:50

It's what you smell off, stinky :D

Nemesis
29-07-2005, 17:51

It's what you smell off, stinky :D

Well at least I don't look like it, Mr Poo

Maggy
29-07-2005, 17:51

I see! One rule for mods... :p:

So you going to start going for male modelling then Nemmy?

Jules
29-07-2005, 17:52
Nope I checked and it says it is you Nug

Nugget
29-07-2005, 17:52
Well at least I don't look like it, Mr Poo

How do you know? Every time you go near a mirror, your fug fogs it up!

Maggy
29-07-2005, 17:53
Edit: Simon M - Please don't shout I have a headache

Nugget
29-07-2005, 17:53

Be nice Coggy! You know they'll never make a man out of Ilikemenesis :D

Nemesis
29-07-2005, 17:56
You started it teach ..

Start .... what do you mean start ... :D

How do you know? Every time you go near a mirror, your fug fogs it up!

Better than having to replace them each time *you* go near one, Mr How does my hair look. :D

Halcyon
29-07-2005, 17:57
Ahhhhh, lets just invent a TV with advert bypass controls, then I'l be happy.
Im sure I heard of a channel that exists that just broadcasts adverts. !!! How exciting :zzz:

Nemesis
... and shouting for help won't work in cyberspace Coggy ... ;)

Nugget
Better than having to replace them each time *you* go near one, Mr How does my hair look. :D

My hair looks fine, 'cos I keep it in a box under the bed.

What's your excuse, Mr Whippy-head :p:

And on that note, may I wish you all a fantastic weekend - I'm off to get drunk :)

Nemesis
29-07-2005, 18:00
My hair looks fine, 'cos I keep it in a box under the bed.

What's your excuse, Mr Whippy-head :p:

Ewwww, shaving your legs to get some sort of thatch on top ..... that's low ...

I don't need any excuses, Mr Lanky

Nugget
29-07-2005, 18:01
Ewwww, shaving your legs to get some sort of thatch on top ..... that's low ...

I don't need any excuses, Mr Lanky

That's 'cos your folks made all the excuses when you were little :p: :D

Maggy
29-07-2005, 18:02
Now I'm getting cross...

The subject is not your feud but whether the drinks ad should have been changed...

andyl
29-07-2005, 18:03
[I] I'm off to get drunk :) You nick all my best ideas. Pest. :)

A good one to one and all too.

Nemesis
29-07-2005, 18:03
ok, Normal Service will now be resumed .....

andyl
29-07-2005, 18:04
Now I'm getting cross...

The subject is not your feud but whether the drinks ad should have been changed... Was it? When? How long ago was that?

. :D

Halcyon
29-07-2005, 18:07
Ahhhh how I'd love to join in this great topic lol.
My times about up at the cyber cafe so until next time people.
Seeya.

Hopefully there will be some better adverts on TV when I get back to the UK. I can only hope.