PDA

View Full Version : What cable do I use...

takisawa
28-07-2005, 12:44
Hi.
I would like to run a cable under my floorboards and up a cavity wall ready for when the NTL Engineer installs my cable TV. (I dont want any visible cables running along skirting boards etc.)
Can anybody tell me what cable I would have to use. I gather its not just co-ax cable, or is it ? Will the engineer actually use my cable if I do go to the trouble to conceal the cable ?
Any help guys ????
Many thanks in advance.
PT.

mattley
28-07-2005, 12:54
It's my understanding that evertyhing up to outputs on the STB belong to NTL, and that includes the cable, so they may not be happy about using your own cable. However any high grade coax should be OK.

You could just run any old cable or even a bit of string through your chosen route so it's easy for the engineer to pull his own cable through.

Chris
28-07-2005, 12:54
:welcome: to Cable Forum!

The engineer will be very reluctant to use any cable you provide as they will be suspicious of the quality of it. The best you can hope for is for him to do your install with a trailing cable long enough for you to then run it through your cavity wall after he's gone.

If you buy your own cable subsequently, you need satellite grade coaxial cable and f-connectors (not standard tv cable connectors). But this is not recommended as changing the length of cable in your set-up alters power levels in the circuit that can degrade your service, and possibly your neighbours too.

I had a complicated install which involved me running cable left by the installer up a wall, through my loft and down again. They should be happy to leave a load of cable for you too.

takisawa
28-07-2005, 12:55
Thanks guys.

Chris
28-07-2005, 12:56
Moved this thread to the NTL Installation forum.

Chris_99
28-07-2005, 12:57
Hi.
I would like to run a cable under my floorboards and up a cavity wall ready for when the NTL Engineer installs my cable TV. (I dont want any visible cables running along skirting boards etc.)
Can anybody tell me what cable I would have to use. I gather its not just co-ax cable, or is it ? Will the engineer actually use my cable if I do go to the trouble to conceal the cable ?
Any help guys ????
Many thanks in advance.
PT.

When I had my cable modem connection installed I asked ntl to leave the cable a week before the install, which they did. I then used this to route it through the walls as you say. Their original plan was to drill a hole in ceiling :shocked:

takisawa
28-07-2005, 15:41
I have just called NTL and asked them to leave some beforehand but the girl I spoke to said its not possible. Will just have to thread a pulling wire through the cavity I guess. Hopefully the install guy will be patient. He is due on Sunday morning. There is already a NTL cable TV line into the house, it runs up into the attic. Even has the old "COMTEL" markings on the socket. Quite why the last owner had it put in the attic I'll never know...!!!

Chris
28-07-2005, 16:02
I have just called NTL and asked them to leave some beforehand but the girl I spoke to said its not possible. Will just have to thread a pulling wire through the cavity I guess. Hopefully the install guy will be patient. He is due on Sunday morning. There is already a NTL cable TV line into the house, it runs up into the attic. Even has the old "COMTEL" markings on the socket. Quite why the last owner had it put in the attic I'll never know...!!!

I think the installer will put a master socket in a different room if you ask him. You shouldn't have to put up with the bizarre choices of someone who used to own your house! If the only reason you want to do all that cabling is the dodgy positioning of the existing socket, I'd hold off drilling holes and ask them first.

zovat
28-07-2005, 16:25
<snip> There is already a NTL cable TV line into the house, it runs up into the attic. Even has the old "COMTEL" markings on the socket. Quite why the last owner had it put in the attic I'll never know...!!!

he may have put it into the attic so he could drop it into the upstairs rooms..

we had this done on our initial installation so we could have a STB in the bedroom as well as in the lounge, and the CM installed in the large spare room...