PDA

View Full Version : Dyson Advice Required - DC02

etccarmageddon
26-07-2005, 20:00
I have one of these:-

www.ciao.co.uk/Dyson_DC02__Review_5350194

the standard yellow DC02 (not the one that superceeded it with hepa filters mentioned in the review)

it takes these filters:-

http://www.kneesnet.co.uk/acatalog/Kneesnet_Online_2_DC02_H_Level_Filters_1112.html

is there any reason why I can not bung in the Hepa filter that Dyson invented for the improved DC02 hepa model:-

http://www.kneesnet.co.uk/acatalog/Kneesnet_Online_Dyson_DC02_HEPA_Filter___Bactiguar d_1110.html

Paul K
26-07-2005, 20:03
Think they are different sizes so don't fit each others machines :( Know anywhere that sells both filters so you can look at the dimensions?

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 00:01
they hepa filter is around £12 in currys - too expensive to experiment with but only a few quid on ebay so I will buy one of there and give it a go and if necessary cut it to fit!

Paul K
27-07-2005, 07:12
they hepa filter is around £12 in currys - too expensive to experiment with but only a few quid on ebay so I will buy one of there and give it a go and if necessary cut it to fit!
Wasn't sugesting buying one of each to rip them apart lol I meant have you got anywhere that you can see both filters side by side to compare the sizes etc.

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 07:30
not possible unfortunately as currys no longer stock the standard filters they only stock the hepa ones which is bloody useless - I've checked about 3 or 4 currys now and only hepa in stock. unless gits!

Paul K
27-07-2005, 07:33
Nice to know they support the older models :( I think (been a while since I last saw those filters) that the carriers the filters sit in are slightly different shapes and won't actually fit in each others locations on the hoovers, wether you can dismantle them and switch filters in the cage itself I don't know.

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 07:37
worth a try here at anorak's are us! I can get the hepa for £4-£5 and if necessary rip out the filter!

Paul K
27-07-2005, 07:39
worth a try here at anorak's are us! I can get the hepa for £4-£5 and if necessary rip out the filter!
Hey if you can get it to fit in the cage then you're laughing ;)

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 07:41
her indoors is suffering from ashma so wants me to shell out on a dyson "animal" - totally bloody con in my opinion, they should make hepa filters that fit the original models.

Paul K
27-07-2005, 07:47
her indoors is suffering from ashma so wants me to shell out on a dyson "animal" - totally bloody con in my opinion, they should make hepa filters that fit the original models.
£228 pounds seems a lot but it is a good machine. Are there any other units out there that have the same filters and functions?

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 07:53
tesco on line offer it for around £220 in their sale. her indoors specifically wants to stay with dyson.

KingPhoenix
27-07-2005, 08:21
We replaced our DC02 with a DC08 (animal) about 2 weeks ago..... i didnt realise how much the DC02 wasnt picking up..... quite shocking really!

Paul K
27-07-2005, 08:26
We replaced our DC02 with a DC08 (animal) about 2 weeks ago..... i didnt realise how much the DC02 wasnt picking up..... quite shocking really!
The first run with the Dyson is always a little shocking lol We switched from a DC02 to a DC07 and it was amazing how much more it picked up. From what was in the container you would have though the pet dog was bald :erm:

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 08:35
We replaced our DC02 with a DC08 (animal) about 2 weeks ago..... i didnt realise how much the DC02 wasnt picking up..... quite shocking really!the original 'head' the came with my dc02 was a straight forward suction thingy - I bought a new one from dyson for £40 which has bit inside which rotate and pickup more crap and it made a big difference.

it's called a turbo brush.

timewarrior2001
27-07-2005, 09:12
The dyson animal is unbelievable,

We switched from a DC01 De stijl.

The turbo brush is great for getting dog hair off the stairs!

As for filters, try ASDA and Tescos

orangebird
27-07-2005, 09:27
Miele Cat and Dog is the best - Dyson is overpriced ugly plastic crap. :)

zoombini
27-07-2005, 10:18
Our neighbours have a dyson.
They also have very balding carpets now too, and the carpets are not cheap ones.

Cleaning out the waste container they can see thousands of carpet threads etc.

As an asthma sufferer I too have thought about getting one, however knowing what they do to your carpets I think I'll stick with a standard one for now.

As for interchangable filters, if Curries only stock the HEPA filter, then take "your" standard filter with you to compare the 2.

Paul K
27-07-2005, 10:23
Our neighbours have a dyson.
They also have very balding carpets now too, and the carpets are not cheap ones.

Cleaning out the waste container they can see thousands of carpet threads etc.

As an asthma sufferer I too have thought about getting one, however knowing what they do to your carpets I think I'll stick with a standard one for now.

As for interchangable filters, if Curries only stock the HEPA filter, then take "your" standard filter with you to compare the 2.
Have used Dysons for years and never suffered loss of carpet pile, either your neighbours have a carpet that aren't suitable for the hoover they are using or the carpet itself is at issue. How old is the carpet and have they tried contacting the supplier?

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 10:29
my dyson has never caused me problems with my piles either.

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 11:25
I've just ordered the stuff from ebay. I will report back if there are any major developments. watch this space. zzzzzzzzz

zoombini
27-07-2005, 11:59
I dont know the specifics of the carpet, but they said it was a decent carpet. And it's not just the 1 carpet.

And I have seen this on TV before, about how they strip the pile from the carpets.

Yes there may be a right & wrong type of carpet for a dyson, but which is which?

Etc... I'd be interested to know if the HEPA filter fits in place of ordinary ones. er indoors is interested in one but it would have to have a filter.

And I don't believe any tosh about them lasting a lifetime etc.. filters need replacing on a regular basis.

etccarmageddon
27-07-2005, 13:16
re 'lifetime' you'll laugh at this...

when I was looking in currys for my filters and I found they dont stock them but they do sell replacement 'lifetime' filters!

Paul K
27-07-2005, 13:22
re 'lifetime' you'll laugh at this...

when I was looking in currys for my filters and I found they dont stock them but they do sell replacement 'lifetime' filters!
Maybe it was the lifetime of a mayfly they were measuring against ;)

etccarmageddon
29-07-2005, 08:01
hepa filter received - it fits in the slot but the lid almost closes - it's almost as if it's been designed to get in the way of one of the plastic lips inside the dyson. as it was impossible to be sure of which bit of the dyson was stopping it, I used pliers to cut off some of the plastic on the filter and managed to then close the lid on it. It all looks like a con to get you to replace your existing dyson with one that takes the Hepa.